Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, I saw her again today. She's very upset and dropped the Ody from her shopping list. :cry:

It's Murphy's Law. Last year I bought a Miata, 18 days later the incentives went up. Now she's shopping, hesitates, and the incentives drop. What can you do? :confuse:

Can't 2nd guess the market.

Her best price quote right now is an XLE for just under $30 grand. She may buy that. The salesman showed her the heated leather/moonroof and she fell in love. The LE is arguably a better value but you know how it goes...once you fall in love, you won't be happy with anything less.
  • nobonobo Posts: 305
    Not at all surprised the incentives have been scaled back at Honda. They had good sales in March and April, and inventory is low, at least in my area of OH.
    I felt her pain last year when Honda dropped the incentives on the 2009 on July 7, 2009. Was in the market but didn't buy quick enough. Got a good price in March 2010 though. :D Almost as good as the 2009 price.

If she has a quote for an XLE Sienna for less than 30K, that sounds very good. Availability of the 2011 Sienna is much better in my area than the 2010 Odyssey. One of my local Toyota dealers is showing over 30 units in stock on their web page.
    Sienna sales were up 40% last month so I'm sure supply is constrained for that van as well.

I did read about Honda trucks being in short supply on Automotive News.
  • hogan773hogan773 Posts: 255
    Someone just wrote on the Odyssey thread that Odyssey dealer cash incentive actually ROSE to $1500 in May.....
  • snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Posts: 53
    It's possible new incentives were released on the 7th, since the existing incentives expired on 5/7.
    Thanks, I will alert my friend.

She has a standing offer with a Toyota dealer, and they do with her, but neither side has come to an agreement yet.
    My friend ended up buying a 2011 Sienna LE last night.

She got Silver over gray, $26k even, plus tax and tags. MSRP was $29.9k so that seems like a reasonable discount.

I'll ask her about it in a week or so, once they've driven it around a bit.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Judging by the price I'm guessing V6?

I'd like to hear how the 4-cyl feels everyday (probably just fine), merging/passing at highway speeds (I've got doubts). Juice, you're the go-to Sienna-guy; don't let me down. :shades:
    Yes, V6, LE model, gray cloth, silver paint.

It's funny because I was one of the first to check out the interior of the new Sienna (at the DC Auto Show) but I still have not driven a 2011+.

I'm all for fuel economy but the sheer size and payload that goes in minivans would send me looking to the V6. I forget which car magazine tested both, but they actually got worse mileage in the 4 banger because it worked so hard to keep up all the time.
  • autowriteautowrite Posts: 221
    Comparing the 2011 Sienna with the 2010 Odyssey (I do no have inside specifications for the Odyssey 2011) that the Sienna has 3 more inches legroom in the driver's search and 3 inches shorter in the middle and rear seats. When I first bought my 2002 Odyssey I checked all the minivans available for the hight of my knees while sitting in the middle and back seats. Hone had the most.
  • dbtdbt Posts: 298
    For the 2011 Sienna, the middle row is a slider - ton of room in 2nd if all the way back, but that leaves 3rd row not too usable. Depends on whether you need the 3rd row all the time, or just some of the time.
    If you remove the middle seats in the 2011 Sienna, each seat base still remains in the tracks. These seat bases are in the way if you need all the cargo room possible in the Sienna.
    Does it stick up enough that it's a problem, though?

I checked one out this weekend, because people had complained about kids possibly tripping on that base when trying to get to the back.

What I found, though, is that you'd be more likely to slide the outboard seat forward to gain access to the 3rd row. It opens a pretty huge gap for more direct access vs. squeezing between the seats in the 2nd row.

The seat base gives you a little storage nook and two extra cup holders when the middle seat is not in use, but it does stick up an inch or two.
  • hogan773hogan773 Posts: 255
    IMO the seat base design in the Sienna is ghey

It looks ghey - it gets dirty - kids walk all over it on the way to the back.

Forget the storage "nook" and the cupholders on the floor, and give me a nice flat floor with carpet please.

Plus the way the middle seat BOLTS into the drivers side 2nd row seat is also ghey - where it bolts through some giant rubber grommet thing that looks ghey. On the Sienna I looked at which was 2 days old at the dealer, that rubber grommet already was torn and had grease on it.

Ghey all day :shades:
    I won't re-post here, but here's a link to my impressions on the 2011, good and bad:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1d8cc1/398#MSG398

By far the biggest let down is the 8th seat. :sick:
    The first minivan to earn that designation, though to be fair the Odyssey was never tested for roof strength, so technically it wasn't eligible.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=422

So the new Sienna earned Good scores in front, side, head restraint, and roof crush resistance. The roof held up more than 4 times the van's weight, which is darn impressive given how much these vehicles weigh.
    Good summary. ;)
  • ingridringridr Posts: 20
    Hi All,

Now that my 99 Forester has 190K miles on it, I am looking to replace it. I show dogs so have been researching vans in anticipation of this for awhile and the Odyssey and Sienna are my top choices. I drive about 17K miles a year and most of it is highway traveling to dog shows. Don't need fancy. Just need a safe, reliable vehicle with plenty of cargo room

I want to spend between 12-14K and live in MT. I know this is not going to buy me anything close to new but I have the 14K in cash so that might go a little further than if I had to finance.

In my area (area in MT being under 240 miles) there are the following vans listed at dealerships:

2004 Odyssey LX (basic model) with 52K miles - $13K
    2006 Sienna LE with 85K miles - $15K
    2007 Sienna LE with 43K miles - $17K
    2005 Sienna XLE with 72K miles - $18K

Obviously all the Sienna's are over the 14K but I figure I have at least a shot to get the 2006 in my price range. My questions are these:

1) This will be the first non-Subaru that I will be buying and I am used to having a vehicle that I does not have significant repair issues until you get close to the 200K range. How much life do these Sienna's have? If I bought one with 85K - how much more miles should I expect to get out of it before I run into more than routine servicing? How about the Odyssey? 52K seems pretty low for an 04, particularly in Montana where you drive quite a bit to get to places.

2) I have been told to go 2005 or younger on the Odyssey - based on this should I skip looking at this vehicle?

3) Are these prices rock bottom for these vehicles in your opinion or do I have some haggle room?

4) Barring any major issues that knock them out of the running, how would you rank them in order of looking at?

5) Or should I just suck it up and buy a one way ticket to a major city like Denver and hope to find something there?

Sorry for the book - just trying to cover my bases and pick all your brains Thanks for any and all help that you all can give me!
    We've gone to a lot of dog shows in our 2002 Honda Odyssey. The 2004 Odyssey could serve you well, especially if you could get them down ~1500.00 or so. Run a CarFax on anything you buy.

A lot of our show friends have the Sienna. Others have the Odyssey.

Good luck on your search.