Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• Ody only need regular grade
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Agree that aftermarket items are NOT as satisfactory as those installed at the factory.
         Question: Do you get as much chrome with aftermarket items as with factory installed?
  • hawaii1hawaii1 Posts: 25
    I am looking at the 2005 Odyessy or Sienna. I leased a 2002 Odyessy and when lease ran out, we got a SUV. Do not like the big SUV for around town, kids, gas etc so now I am looking at new 2005 Odyessy. Really like it but am worried if there is enough back support in this van, this was a problem with other Odyssey. I had back pain with it though the new one seems better. Any advice would be appreciated!!
  • "Agree that aftermarket items are NOT as satisfactory as those installed at the factory.
         Question: Do you get as much chrome with aftermarket items as with factory installed?"

Okay, now I know you're just kidding around!

But the answer is, you usually get more chrome aftermarket.
  • If you have not test driven the new Ody, then test drive it.
    If your back hurts, don't buy the Ody and buy the Sienna instead.
    Gadgets are great, especially Ody NAV, but your back/health is number one priority.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602
    IMO, the new seats in the '05 Ody are a big improvement. One of the reasons i didn't get one in '99 was the front seats didn't feel right to me. Not enough support and the shape wasn't comfy.

The new ones (I think I have only tried leather) seem to be much improved. There is also an adjustable lumbar support.

But, since you are so familiar with the old ones, go to the dealer, and take a test sit/drive and decide for yourself.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• ewtewt Posts: 127
    "Ody only need regular grade"

Hey, just like the Sienna. Good news!
    Odyssey is the BEST choice for a spacious, comfortable vehicle with decent fuel economy.
         Recently rode in a friend's Lincoln LS with V8 engine. Lots of luxury items such as separately controlled temp for driver and front passenger, heated AND COOLED driver and front passenger seat, NAV, etc.
         However at MSRP $48,000 + the Lincoln LS costs too much when a nice Ody EX-L-NAV costs just over $30,000. I can do without heated and cooled driver and front passenger seat of the Lincoln LS for all that extra money even if the Lincoln does have more chrome on the front than the more practical Ody EX-L-NAV. (I would actually get just the Ody EX and forget leather and NAV).
    But, you can get a slightly used LS for the 30K price of the Ody. You can probably get a brand new one for the cost of an Ody Touring.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• I currently own a 4x4 Tahoe and have recently been looking the the Toyota Sienna now that it has AWD, split 3rd row seats and more cargo space. I wasn't even considering the Honda because it does not come with AWD. However, some salesman told me that the traction control in FWD vans is just as good as the AWD. Is that true? I used to own a 4Runner when my husband and I did a lot of backcountry skiing and hiking, and found ourselves on steep dirt, gravel and snowy roads miles from any main road. But with three kids we don't do that kind of driving anymore. Mostly I engage the 4x4 for going over snowy mountain passes, up and down snowy/slushy roads and the occasional gravely, muddy, steep backroad. If the Honda was just as good as the AWD Toyota in these conditions, I may take a look at it. Any recommedations?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,015
    Check out the AWD vs FWD with VSC + Traction Control board too (not to mention Snow/Ice winter tires).

Steve, Host
    to stay with a Minivan (after some dalliance with Cross over SUVs), becasue of the car-like driving experience, extra room, more comfort, better MPG, and it was cheaper. I figured we would end up there, but I made sure she looked at the options (to avoid me getting grief down the road for her not getting what she really wanted).

Came down to the usual suspects, and wifee decided that she preferred the Ody, for a number of reasons. Nothing major, and she would probably be perfectly happy with the Sienna if she ended up with one, but overall she was just more comfortable with the Honda. I liked driving it better, and the seats were more comfortable to me, so I'm happy with her choice.

Only my 8 YO daughter seems to be unhappy. She wants the Sienna (even though she can't remember how to pronounce it, and has had some interesting variations on the name). She liked the power door buttons in the second row (can't blame her), and the 2nd row climate control set-up better. But, since whe doesn't have to drive it, and sure isn't paying for it, she's Overruled!

Now just have to see some of the colors in person (slate green and ocean mist), since of course the options that aren't around are ones she's interested in. So, if she can pick some color options, I get the joy of trying to find one and get some kind of deal. Hopefully she diddles areound for a while until the market factors tilt in our favor, but she would really like it before Christmas.

• heywood1heywood1 Posts: 839
    It's obvious by the hyperlink that the Host is trying to nip any discussion of this here in the bud, but:

It's also obvious that a salesman told you this because it's NOT true. Traction control is a great thing when mated with FWD, but it's even better when it mated to AWD. Traction control and AWD are not mutually exclusive. Certainly, there are trade-offs, as Honda lovers here will anxiously point out, because the Odyssey doesn't offer AWD: AWD has a (slight) fuel economy penalty and potentially higher maintenance and insurance costs (though no higher than those on the big honkin' SUV you're driving now).
  • Note the '05 Odyssey does come with a manual lumbar support adjustment. I'm told this is new for Honda? As the other member noted, it's worth driving both to see which is more comfortable for you.
  • You should also add runflats as an additional drawback for Sienna AWD. If you get AWD you will have runflats and no spare. Unlike Honda PAX you can replace tires with regular tires, but there is no dedicated space for the spare. And from what I can see you really do not want to keep runflats, they are just too hard to find.
    Just a mouse-click away at the Tire Rack. Of course, they're not cheap--but neither is this van.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,015
    It's obvious by the hyperlink that the Host is trying to nip any discussion of this here in the bud, but:

Nah, it's just that sometimes I repeat myself:

steve_ Oct 2, 2004 10:34am

Steve, Host
  • hawaii1hawaii1 Posts: 25
    Drove the 'O5 Sienna, bottom seat does not come out far enough under the legs. NO SUPPORT!! Nice, smooth ride but no way spending that kind of money when it's that bad. I drove 'O5 EX-L Odyessy better than the Sienna and 2002 Odyessy but still not great. We are going to still look around and other cars but might have to just deal with an achy back at times. Have looked at many smaller SUV's that have 3rd back seat, very little leg room even for kids in some of them.
    If seats are the tail that wags your dog, then I suggest you look at a Volvo (XC 70 wagon or XC 90 SUV). The seats in Volvo products are among the most comfortable in the world, IMO.
    Don't buy a Volvo. Two acquaintances bought new Volvo's and each was in the Volvo dealership for repairs more often than any other 2 vehicles I have ever seen.
         Although my 1970 Dodge Van was THE worst vehicle I have ever owned, those 2 Volvo were much worse than my Dodge.
         All my Toyota vehicles have been very reliable. I have never owned a Honda but the Odyssey has more comfortable seats and is much more attractive inside and out than the Sienna (in my opinion).