Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• Options
    boodadboodad Member Posts: 31
    My thoughts on why I chose the Sienna were:

Quiet ride: I figured a minivan will carry multiple people - - relatives, friends, children, etc, and I'd like to have conversations with them (including 3rd row occupants). Or listen to music at a decent volume without offending occupants because I had to increase the volume to compete against the road noise.

Smooth ride: I just want to get from point A to point B, so getting there quickly is not my modus operandi. I value a smooth, cushy ride. Some people like to feel the road but I like an effortless, luxurious ride. I'm hauling folks, not joy-riding. Because of this, sporty handling is not a priority. I'm not pushing the envelope on my rides and I shouldn't be with this beast.

Ride height: I frequently scrape bottom with my Camry over speed bumps -- I have to crawl slowly over them to avoid scraping and this has become a nuisance. I vowed not to get another car that sits low. While I haven't ridden the Ody over speed bumps, I am concerned about its low ground clearance (visually speaking, of course). Maybe this bottom scraping is not a problem with the Honda but I wasn't taking any chances. Sienna sits higher (probably at the expense of having a higher center of gravity and lesser sporty handling as a result...).

And lastly, because I'm a service member stationed in Europe, I was able to get an XLE 8-Seater - - another bonus/opportunity to get a decent people hauler with nice trim/options. This setup is not available in the States.

If the Sienna wasn't an option, I'd get the Ody, though. It's the next best option for me. To each his own...

Boodad
  • Options
    carseatscarseats Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for all the input on tires and snow and driving in Odysseys and Siennas, esp. to 05ody who seems to have a similar steep snowy drive to be gotten up. Since this will be a major expense for me and will have to be 'the' car for years, I am nervous about the choice. I don't want to be stuck at the bottom of the hill and have to haul two toddlers up through the snow to the house! (although of course, they would probably love it).

Another question, sightlines. Anyone have problems with the Sienna? Two friends who were just visiting told me three stories (including themselves) of people having problems with Toyota sightlines. Their boss bought a Sienna this year and returned it after a month for an Odyssey, because he couldn't see. I do not know how tall he is. The friends, who had trouble seeing when test driving a Camry are about 5'10" and 5'7". Another friend of theirs supposedly keeps backing into other cars because he can't see (I don't know which Toyota this was). Maybe he is just a bad driver, I don't know.

Anyway, when I tested a Sienna, my sister walked all around the car so I could follow her in the mirrors or by turning my head. Possibly influenced by my friends, it did seem to be harder to see - the small side 3rd window on the passenger side is obstructed by passenger in the second row. I think though, that using the mirror addresses this. I should add that I am 5' 3".

Thanks,

Carseats
  • Options
    carseatscarseats Member Posts: 5
    It seems to be that the Odyssey, which doesn't have AWD, has better traction in the snow than the regular front wheel drive Sienna (had to be dug out of the lot). So, if I go with a Sienna, it would have to be AWD, unless I get snow tires?

Best,
    Carseats
  • Options
    96corolla96corolla Member Posts: 94
    Boodad - great summary - your reasoning is basically the same as mine and my wife's. That is why we plan to buy a Sienna, hands down, as soon as the rebates come back to PA(fingers crossed).

Carseats, not sure if you are aware of these sites, but check out odyclub.com and siennaclub.org you can probably get good answers at both those sites. Keep in mind, most of the visitors own that vehicle so of course they are biased. When I was deciding which one to get, those sites gave me a lot of ideas on what to look for when doing the side by side.

I know one big concern of the Ody is snow is ground clearance. It is only ~ 4 inches from the ground. If you get high snow, you are going to be "bottoming out" pretty quickly. I read on the Sienna site that ody "glides" in the snow...but again remember what site it is on and take it for what you believe it to be worth.

I know the guy above said FWD Sienna's had to be "dug out", but did he say the Ody's didn't have to be?...I don't remember. That would be the only fair comparison. One other thing - when I was looking it was hinted to me by the Honda guy that the 2006 may have AWD.
  • Options
    you mention that you have a gravel driveway. This too may be an issue with the Ody low ground clearance. Flying stones will have much less farther to travel to get up into your engine compartment and do some damage. Even big rocks may be an isue. I actually read somwhere on here...maybe the Ody forum, that people are installing some kind of netting or something on the bottom of thier Ody's to keep stones from damaging the radiator or something. I think this is due to the low ground clearance. You'll be driving on stones all the time, so this won't just be an every now and then problem for you...if it is one.
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "One other thing - when I was looking it was hinted to me by the Honda guy that the 2006 may have AWD."

No. Adding AWD would require a redesigned floorpan to make room for the running gear. They're not going to do that just 1 year after the new model introduction. After all, if Honda is currently selling every Odyssey they can possibly make, why go through the hassle of introducing AWD? Perhaps a few years from now if sales cool down, but not now.

If anything, I anticipate adding a hybrid version of the Ody, but not AWD.

"Flying stones will have much less farther to travel to get up into your engine compartment and do some damage."

The problems you've noted are from people having rocks fly up into the undercarriage from vehicle ahead (a truck sends a rock bouncing along the roadway, and while the rock is bouncing down the road, the Ody driver drives over the bouncing rock).

Driving along a gravel driveway is different. I know because my wife traverses our nearly 1 mile gravel and rock driveway twice a day in our Ody with absolutely no problems. The low ground clearance may be a problem if our ruts get much deeper but so long as she keeps it under 45, I don't think she should have a problem. The only problem we've had is dust from the road getting into the exposed side door sliders. When the dust built up, the doors started making a pretty bad squeek/squeal as they were operated. We cleaned the sliders out with a car wash spray wand and the doors work fine now.
  • Options
    ljwalters1ljwalters1 Member Posts: 294
    I think the prior poster must peruse these forums for fun w/o really having a need for the mv. For us, an automated rear gate is a necessity for just that reason - hands full with kids and packages - it's a lifesaver.

Still, we have a Sienna and have no complaints about the time it takes to open or close. That being said, if you think the Honda and Sienna are equals, but the Honda's liftgate opens/closes faster, go for it. :)
  • Options
    I think some people just get it in their head that they HAVE to have an Ody. Maybe because of all the press, maybe because they want to be known for driving the van that is "percieved" as the best, etc etc. They get it in their heads that they must have an Ody, and they come up with reasons to get one. Who knows, maybe Sienna owners did/do the same thing.

This is just an observation from reading this site for ~ 3 months now, and my own personal experience. I got cought up in the reasons I mentioned above, but I forced myself to be logical. When I did so, the choice was obvious. ;)

I must say, I did get a good laugh out of the guys post about milk turning sour, hair turning grey, etc while waiting for the liftgate. It was funny :)
  • Options
    twins2twins2 Member Posts: 16
    Interesting reading other's struggles to decide. We ended up deciding on the Odyssey. BOth are great. The Sienna was slighlty quieter (but no different to my wife). We got the 2005 EX with leather, NAV/RES for 31,364+tax. About 6k less than we'd have too pay for the Sienna XLE limited with AWD. Liked the Ody NAV/RES/mileage/regular gas better c/w the Sienna. The Sienna can use any grade, but premium is recommended. I've driven an accord the last 7 years so I may have been biased toward Honda. 3 weeks till the twins arrive. For those on hills/gravel. I would suggest AWD and snow tires.

Will let you all know if we're still happy with the Odyssey in a few months....
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Between Ody or Sienna, I would purchase Ody rather than Sienna. Honda spent tons of R&D money developing the Ody. All Toyota did was copy the exact design from Honda and made it into Sienna. Toyota only knows how to duplicate other peoples design and make it better. There's nothing innovative in Sienna. It's a me too Ody concept.
  • Options
    lastwraithlastwraith Member Posts: 350
    "I think some people just get it in their head that they HAVE to have an Ody."
    No, some people just have different tastes than others. The Sienna and Ody both appeal to different needs. It seems like nearly everyone has come to the conclusion that the Sienna has the more plush ride but the Ody feels more responsive. In addition, each minivan has a different look which is important to male and female buyers alike. And even though someone mentioned the Sienna options packages weren't important because he thinks we are all buying loaded Ody's the honest truth was that we walked away from a Toyo dealership in the NYC area without being able to even get our hands on a Toyota with the options we wanted. Meanwhile, in the Ody they were standard and thusly......still around. Besides this fact the dealers in your area can be a large part of what minivan you end up with. Even if the Sienna was better suited to our needs in our area, the nearby dealers were jerks, quite frankly. I'm not saying this is the case everywhere, but there are things even beyond the merits of the auto that factor in to the purchase. So please stop talking down to the Ody owners, different strokes for different folks.

And as for Toyo ripping off the Ody design.....so what? Not that I believe this, but even if it were true who cares. I don't shell out $ just because one company originated a design.....otherwise why not go buy a Dodge Minivan. They are all effectively copying each other anyway, just find the one that suits your particular needs, will stay reliable, and can be had for the least dinero. Considering Toyota's current reliability status, they can afford to copy as much as they want because they nearly outlast any other vehicles on the road (in general).
  • Options
    ctsangctsang Member Posts: 237
    hvan3, you are way way off the topic. Who cares who's copying who as long as one makes good cars? You want to buy a model T?
  • Options
    Good points lastwraith. Not picking on Ody owners, but I could see how you percieve it that way. It is a great van, no doubt and your points are valid. Personal preference and pricing become key. My area has more Toyota dealers and I find them to be more cooperative and much less arrogant then the Honda guys. So, that is the perspective I'm coming from. I don't take into account that other folks in different regions can have just the opposite experience. No offense meant to Ody owners!
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Don't back down so easily 96corolla. You are absolutely right when you write some people just get it in their heads that they HAVE to have an Ody. From what I have read here on the forums here it is certainly true...the key words being "some people"... of course.

I have often read people saying they wanted the best...and they have read reviews and posts indicating the Ody was the best. So, they go out and buy and Ody without considering the other good choices...choices that may fit their needs better than an Ody.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    I definately still believe it to be true, I just don't want to be percieved as "attacking" Ody owners.

Keep in mind, I don't own EITHER one yet. I did the side by side w/ my logic(personal preferences) and choose Sienna. I just haven't purchased yet. Based on observations, I do still believe my statement to be true, but don't mean it to be offensive.

One more thing...somebody above made a comment that they can't keep Ody's on the lot. Not true....anymore. I recently talked to a large dealer who sells both Ody and Sienna. He told me "for 4 years, we sold the Ody at MSRP, people were buying them without even driving them". Clearly before Sienna re-design, Ody was king. He continued to say that they are now discounting the new ones ~ 1500 off MSRP!!!! I've read on the Ody price section that folks are getting them 150 over invoice. This is a brand new model! A Honda! When I was still seriouslly considering Ody, the local dealer I went to had at least 3 in the package I wanted. This is a fact! They are on the lots and they aren't sold out, WHY :confuse:

Ody is no longer King, Ody has competition. Actually, we should all be happy about this because we all benefit from a pricing perspective. :P
  • Options
    Jipster makes an excellent point. Overall, the Sienna and Oddy (no necessarily in that oder) are considered the top two minivans. Key words are "in general." Each buyer needs to examine his or her purpose. For example, a family who wants a MV b/c they have kids, but those kids are older than 6, for example, and for whom you don't need to pack strollers, diapers, etc, a smaller mv, like Mazda's might be better since it'll handle more like a car, be more manuverable, and still hold all your stuff.

This forum is great b/ if the Sienna would suit your needs, the Oddy generally would, too, and then it just comes down to opinion and preference, but each buyer needs to assess their needs, b/c the best mv out there might not be the best for a particular individual.
  • Options
    newvanbuyernewvanbuyer Member Posts: 15
    I'm a new poster - just found this forum. I've test driven both vans. liked both. Thought I was going to like the Ody better - liked the interior of the Sienna better. One thing bothered me about the Sienna was that I felt like I didn't have a confident view from the rearview mirror. I was interested in the post above that said she'd heard similar complaints. Anyone current Sienna owners out there have a comment about that? I'm leaning towards the Sienna, but this concerns me a little. I've been driving a Dodge Caravan for years - time to trade it for something with some reliability!
  • Options
    We have an '04 Sienna, and see fine out the back. A family member did bang into a post backing up, :sick: but it was in the middle fof the rear window, so we can't blame the car!

I think loaded Siennas have rearview cameras for when you're in reverse, but we see fine out the rear while driving.
  • Options
    kjokjo Member Posts: 24
    Agree with a lot of what lastwraith had to say. My wife and I were Ody owners for 6 years and went to the local Honda dealer in May to look at the 05's , the saleperson was a jerk and so was the sales manager (Honda East, Columbus , Ohio if anyone is interested). The only thing we accomplished that day was that the 05 Ody was a great car and we wanted one. The days experience soured us on buying anything at that time so we shelved it for while. Two weeks ago we decided to try a different Honda dealer that seemed to have a large inventory of Ody's(I checked the inventory on the web) only to find when we got there on July 1st, they didn't have the color we wanted or the financing, as it just ended the day before. On the way home we stopped at Germain Toyota which is right next door to Honda East and they not only had a Sienna in the color and options we wanted but gave us 3.9 for 60 and the best trade offer for our old Ody. It really does come down to the dealer most of the time. Both of these vans are great vehicles, they do have different looks both inside and out. I could easily live with either one, I do like the interior and ride of the Sienna better but it's splitting hairs. We bought where we got the best deal, and were treated better by the dealer.
  • Options
    Very good post - I bet this is where the majority of buyers fall. For me it was a tad different b/c we bought when the '04s came out, so Honda's redesign wasn't out for another year. In talking things over with my wife, I still wanted to go with whoever would give us closer to invoice. My wife really wanted the power side-windows and 60/40 split rear bench (both proved to be important features in thelong run, by-the-way).

Anyway, my financial strategy wound up being moot, as the redesigned Siennas were selling for over MSRP at the time (I gave a yoeman's effort and got MSRP + mats - whoopie) and Honda wasn't admitting the '04 Sienna outclassed the '04 Oddy, so they wanted MSRP, too.

With Honda adding the aforementioend features, I'd bet the majority of drivers of either vehicle either (1) made up their mind before test-driving either, based upon some bias, or (2) chose the vehicle for which they got the best deal.
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    It's a pity about Honda East - it used to be a good store but seems to have been run into the ground over the past year or so, apparently due to a change in personnel.

Glad to hear that you (unlike myself) had a good experience with Germain Toyota - I know that others have had good luck there as well.
  • Options
    You may well be correct, ljwalters1, but in my case I was pre-disposed toward an AWD Sienna when I started shopping and ended up buying an Odyssey due to the Toyota's too short front seat cushions. The discount on both vehicles was substantial so either would have been a good deal and, really, price was cancelled out as a factor.
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Welcome, newvanbuyer! A good place to get feedback about owner experiences from Sienna owners is in the Toyota Sienna Owners Club.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    No problem with me. I see fine while driving. Rear aubible sensors help, too, when I backup.
  • Options
    mcase2mcase2 Member Posts: 160
    The Sienna is the "exact same design" as the Ody?????? Have you even looked at these two vehicles? The redesigned Sienna came out before the new Ody by the way. The cars are very different in design being built on two different frames, different body designs, different engines, different transmissions, different suspensions and different features. If as you claim Toyota copied designs to build the Sienna and "made them better" would not your own logic indicate that the Sienna is the better product??
  • Options
    I wonder if dealers ever read this forum? It seems there is one recurrent theme; people are waffling between two very competitive minivans and the arrogance and rudeness of a dealer pushes them over to the competitors side of the fence. Some Honda dealers don't seems to get the message: there is a real nice alternative to the Ody. For Toyota dealers marketing the new kid on the block its inexplicable.
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    In central Ohio, I found Roush Honda of Westerville to be the best. Their service before and after the sale is great - I am guessing because they are employee owned. They have very little turn over in staff because it seems like a good gig for people who work there.

But if they do not have the vehicle you want when you want to buy, that does not help.
  • Options
    macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    "Anyway, my financial strategy wound up being moot, as the redesigned Siennas were selling for over MSRP at the time (I gave a yoeman's effort and got MSRP + mats - whoopie) and Honda wasn't admitting the '04 Sienna outclassed the '04 Oddy, so they wanted MSRP, too. "

NOTE : C & D June 2004 minivan comparo results

1.) 2004 Ody
    2.) 2004 Sienna
    3.) 2004 Quest
    4.) 2004 DGC
    5.) 2004 Freestar

in that order.
  • Options
    SO WHAT!!!!!!

Hasn't this been discussed on here before. Most of the rags pick Ody because of the ride. They are car guys. Especially C&D. In 94, CR had Sienna #1, so Sienna folks can pull out similar comparisons.

Reality is what the people do, not what C&D said. The people are/were buying Sienna's and it drove down Honda's Sales and pricing. Tha't why you can now get Ody's close to invoice. You can't argue that. So, who care's what C&D said. I think it's pretty broadly accepted that the re-design Sienna is wayyy better then the 04 Ody. Why even try to argue that. The comparison on this site I believe is redesign vs redesign.

His post was to prove the point that many times you buy based on the dealership and pricing experience. He cited an example of why Honda wouldn't budge on price.... They are budging now, and if they had done so then, he may be driving one.
  • Options
    Not to add flames here but...

When I'm paying 30-plus grand on a car, I will do a lot of research. Magazines, internet, etc. There's lots of great sources. But the bottomline is I buy the car satisfies ME - - because it's my money on the line. The point I'm amplifying is one should not purchase a car due to magazine ratings alone. Test drive, ask owners, etc. However, there are some that put a lot of stock in 'zines.....probably the same folks that upgrade cars every 2-3 years (to get the latest and greatest) - - and nothing wrong with that - - but I'm not in that crowd...

Boodad
  • Options
    The Ody and Sienna are both fine cars, and everyone makes their choice on many aspects including their preferences in the driving spectrum.

But the bottom line is that the Ody has won so many awards that cannot go unnoticed, including,

1.) C & D
    2.) Kiplingers
    3.) Autoweek,
    4.) CR
    5.) Edmunds
    6.) Money

to name a few.

They all cannot be wrong. The facts speak for themselves. The rest is just noise.
  • Options
    lastwraithlastwraith Member Posts: 350
    That's all well and good that the Ody won many awards, but it's not really relevant to what ljwalters was saying. They found the car that they thought best fit their needs/wants and got the best deal they could. I think they were just mentioning the fact that to them at least, the Ody seemed overvalued. Nothing wrong with that.

On the other hand, I'm sure if sales drop enough on '05 Odys, the prices will fall in line to reflect it. The price for any car is usually whatever the market will bear, so you can't really blame the dealer for their bottom line. They aren't interested in losing money and I doubt they would purposely overprice the vans if they didn't think they could sell a few.

In any case, it's nothing to fight over.
  • Options
    newvanbuyernewvanbuyer Member Posts: 15
    Thanks to those of you who replied about sightlines. I think it might come down to the fact that the Ody seems to have a bigger rear window, and that might be more in line with what I'm used to with my Caravan. I've been paying attention to the Siennas and Odys I see on the road, and just now coming home I was behind a Sienna with an Ody in the next lane over, so I could compare the rear windows side-by-side. No question, the Ody's was taller. I suspect there's no restriction in the view - just need to get used to seeing more through the side mirrors and less through the rear window. I'll pay more attention to this on my second test drive.

Thanks for pointing me to the Sienna owners club.

Cheers,
    Newvanbuyer
  • Options
    "They all cannot be wrong. The facts speak for themselves. The rest is just noise. "

You are right. Ody is the best - no doubt about it. Perhaps we should have this forum closed now since there is really nothing to discuss :P

Fortunately, the cars mags aren't the ones buying the vehicles and what is on the road and what is happening with pricing seems to tell a different story. That's just noise though, so again, perhaps we should petition edmunds to close the forum :blush:
  • Options
    I simply haven't found Roush to be price competitive with other Central Ohio dealers. Yet I know folks who are repeat customers there for exactly the reason you cited - customer service.

Hugh White has offered me the best of both - great prices and service.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Where are you located? In my neck of the woods, inventories are down to nothing!

We are the largest dealer in the state and right now, we have a grand total of ***three***unsold Odysseys on the lot. In addition, most of our incoming ones are already sold with deposits on them.

I know that situations vary based on locale but I sure wish I had 50 of them sitting here to sell!
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    The real purpose of this discussion is to compare/contrast the attributes of these vehicles to help prospective buyers make up their minds. A good example of this is post #2550. Arguing over which car is "better" seems to raise the temperature and is unlikely to change anyone's mind. Posts that are disrespectful will be removed.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    ewtewt Member Posts: 127
    "But the bottom line is that the Ody has won so many awards that cannot go unnoticed, including,

1.) C & D
    2.) Kiplingers
    3.) Autoweek,
    4.) CR
    5.) Edmunds
    6.) Money

to name a few.

They all cannot be wrong. The facts speak for themselves. The rest is just noise. "

Wow. Some people have a lot of self-esteem wrapped up in their choice in minivans.

I'm sure Car and Driver likes the C6 Corvette a lot more than the Odyssey. Are you trading your Odyssey in on one? The "winner" of car comparisions isn't the best for everybody - just the people evaluating them for the magazine who may have different prefences or priorities than the people making the purchase decision.
  • Options
    ctsangctsang Member Posts: 237
    ewt,
    ody doesn't have AWD. ha, ha, ha,................ my sienna does.
  • Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    AND the Ody also does NOT have a nice, complete overhead console with compass/oustide temperature and accurate trip computer that is standard or available on almost every Sienna. :blush:
  • Options
    05ody05ody Member Posts: 103
    My Odyssey has traction control, stability control, and a tempature gague right under the spedo where the remaining oil life and odo is and that is STANDARD on all levels. Also standard on all levels in all 3 row curtain air bags. Looks like My Odyssey has more standard safety feature's then your Sienna does.
  • Options
    Hey, all. I've enjoyed reading and participating in this forum, but I think its usefulness has run its course. :( Both vehicles are great, and their differences minor (though meaningful for some). Anyway, I think the posts here have denigrated into a game similar to children calling each other names, so it's time to move on. Take care, all. Enjoy your rides! :shades:
  • Options
    okc1okc1 Member Posts: 6
    Someone please comment. Is Sienna LE with leather and package #6 comparable to Ody EX-L (without sunroof)?
  • Options
    05ody05ody Member Posts: 103
    I think the Sienna LE is more comparible to the Odyssey LX. You cannot get the Odyssey EX-L without a sunroof they all come with them. With the leather in the LE it might compare with the Odyssey EX but myself I would compare it with the LX.
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I've had good luck with Roush pricing on the last two Accords I bought. But good prices on Accords are easier to come by than they are on vans and Pilots.
  • Options
    We have a C6 alongside or Ody in our family. It belongs to my son-in-law.

It is best in its class and price range. Mon.

You can really appreciate why C & D voted it the best like they did for the Ody if your preference is in that sporty part of the driving spectrum range.
  • Options
    I have to agree with Ijwalters1 the last few pages here are childish. Of course the Ody got many awards this year. Honda did a lot to improve the car. Last year Toyota received all the accolades. The reviewers love improvement and they reward it in reviews. Maybe we should all talk again in three years after seeing how these cars perform in the real world.
  • Options
    cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    I am considering replacement of our 2001 Odyssey LX on a 2006 Odyssey or Sienna. I'm mostly considering the Sienna LE8 with Package #5 and the Preferred Premium Accessory package vs. the Odyssey EX. I might consider the XLE and EX-L, depending on how the 2006 model packages are. I might accept a 2005 if the price was right. The main reasons for upgrading are side curtain airbags, stability control and an 8th seat.

Overall, the vans appear to be pretty similar, and I'm sure I'd be very happy with either one. Even so, there are a few minor differences I've found and probably many I missed, all based on 2005 information:

Some Sienna advantages:

Sienna 8th seat seems much more functional and moves forward. It's larger, has an integrated shoulder belt and LATCH making it easier to fit 3 carseats and/or adults in the 2nd row.

Third row appears to be wider and may also seat 3-across carseats and/or boosters a bit easier.

5 LATCH positions vs. 3 for Odyssey

3rd row LATCH anchors are integrated into seat and do not require the top tether strap to stretch across cargo area

Possibly smoother and quieter ride.

Possible slight city fuel economy advantage.

2nd row seats tumble

3rd row quarter windows tilt open

5/60 drivetrain warranty standard

Telescopic steering wheel

Misc features like Tire pressure monitor, higher ground clearance, tumble forward 2nd row seats, coin holder, cassette player (we have lots of kids' cassettes), somewhat more cargo space, DRLs.

Street price appears to be around a few hundred dollars less, excluding recent Toyota incentives.

Odyssey advantages:

Rollover sensors integrated into side curtain airbags

ACE front end compatibility, if it isn't all marketing hype

Exterior styling (personal preference, obviously)

2nd row driver side power sliding door

Possibly better handling/braking/performance

Stowable 8th seat would be easier to store/remove

Lazy Suzan storage (mitigates the stowability of the 8th seat, however)

Driver power seat

2nd row indexing seats

Somewhat easier folding on 3rd row seat

Misc features like CD Changer, rear window sunshades, rear A/C control from the front.

-----------

The seating in the Sienna LE8 seems to be more functional for our needs, especially hauling kids. I do like the Odyssey styling and the rollover curtain airbag system. Most of the other differences don't really matter to me much at all. They'd all be nice, but I wouldn't really miss them. For example, the road noise issue isn't a big factor- our current Odyssey is noted for being noisy but is acceptable. We have manual power doors now and they are fine, so I don't mind only having one in the Sienna, etc.

We have reasonable Toyota and Honda dealers in driving range that have provided good purchasing experiences and the local Honda dealer provides very good service. No experience with local Toyota service.

I've driven a Sienna a few times, but haven't driven the new Odyssey yet, so I am basing the comments about noise and performance only on what I've read. Comments?

P.S. Hi Steve!
  • Options
    Do they both have VSC? VSC is a big feature you should check. There is a rear AC and temp control in my 04 LE I think it was pckg 7. Also test out the AC. Sienna has both a front and a rear AC coil so if should run the rear AC air to take full advantage. The Sienna is definitely quieter and smoother ride. Make sure to test the ODy at 70 mph on the highway and listen. Also try it on a bumpy road. If you go to a parking lot regularly with speed bumps remember the Ody like all Hondas (suvs excepted) has really low ground clearance.
  • Options
    I agree that they are both fine products and the choice frequently will boil down to one's particular needs. You really do need to spend some time driving an Odyssey though. My '05 Touring is vastly improved compared to the '99 we had for five years.

Recently, I urged a Honda leaning co-worker (who has a one year old) to shop the 8 passenger Sienna due to the forward sliding middle second row seat. Amazingly, she said Toyota salesman told her that the slide forward feature is essentially a useless gimmick that is unlikely to be of any real benefit.