Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• indy93indy93 Posts: 97
    Check the Club! 75% fit/finish, paint, rattles, grinding at 10mph, wind noise (not cowling assembly) EXL's.
  • macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    "For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended."

The above is where the use of premium results in the advertised 230HP.

From a marketing/sales perspective, Toyota has to tread a careful path to not allow that fact to be negative in the minds of customers.
  • You write: "From a marketing/sales perspective, Toyota has to tread a careful path to not allow that fact to be negative in the minds of customers."

Prove your assertion. The problem is you have no evidence to back up this claim. While I would've bought the Sienna whether it made 225 or 235 HP, it will be nice for you to base your arguments on facts. Results of instrumented tests using both grades of fuel would be a nice evidence for starters. If you can't, then, don't keep repeating inaccuracies.
  • greg_ygreg_y Posts: 26
    You won't convince this person. They like Honda. I have used both premium and regular fuel in my Sienna. I cannot tell a difference in power or in gas mileage.

The funny thing is, most people will rarely rev an engine over 3,500 rpms. This around where the Sienna makes its peak torque. All this talk of hp at the redline makes very little difference in everyday driving. I will occasionally rev the van to the redline. I am not wanting for more power.

My own dear, misguided (just kidding mom) mother purchased a 2005 Odyssey EX no L. I have driven it and my father has driven the Sienna. We cannot really discern a difference in power between the two. Granted, I did not take out his new van and flog the engine within an inch of its life but I don't drive my Sienna that way either.

They bought it out of brand loyalty to Honda. They have owned Hondas since the late 1980s. This is not trivial. Honda makes a fine car (van, SUV etc). However, Toyotas are also fine cars.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,986
    The way I read it, the Sienna generates 230 hp on regular gas.

Steve, Host
    If we surf the web, you can find other links where premium gas is recommended for the Sienna. One example is,

http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national?srv=parser&act=display&a- mp;tf=/features/mvp/toyota/sienna/sienna_overview.tmpl
  • In all actuality, I don't believe most people can tell the difference in horsepower. It needs to be remembered that torque is a measure that relates more toward acceleration and horsepower is more related to speed. What most people think of as "feeling the power" is the torque. How much torque AND where it maximizes at are important too but most forget that. A vehicle that has low end torque will have a lot of "get up and go" but will take time reaching top speed whereas a vehicle with higher torque may not have a lot initial acceleration but will continue accelerating faster at higher speeds and is sometimes described as "keeps going forever".

Again, in day to day driving most won't be able to tell the difference 10 hp, what they will feel is the amount of torque and its peak on the torque curve.
    http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national?srv=parser&act=display&a- mp;tf=/features/mvp/toyota/sienna/sienna_overview.tmpl

Here is an extract from the above weblink of cars.com:

"As of

the 2002 model year, the Odyssey doesn’t call for premium fuel, as it had from 1999 – 2001. For the Sienna, premium gasoline (91 octane) is recommended. It’s not required, so no damage should result from running on 87 octane gas, but all the manufacturer’s ratings — such as engine output, fuel economy and emissions — are based on the more expensive fuel. Regular gas is likely to reduce power and possibly mileage — though probably not enough to nullify the lower fuel cost."
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,986
    Good link you found. Now will someone email Toyota and see if they dispute that? Seems a bit deceptive not to mention it in their specs. Nor does it seem to jive with the EPA's 2005 Fuel Economy Guide (link).

You should be able to extrapolate what type of gas the EPA used in coming up with the Sienna's mpg figures (even though there's nothing in the notes to indicate that premium was used). All you need to do is compare the Sienna's annual fuel cost ($1,285) with the method used to calculate it:

"The estimates are based on the assumptions that you travel 15,000 miles per year (55% under city driving conditions and 45% under highway conditions) and that fuel costs $1.80/gallon for regular unleaded gasoline and $1.95/gallon for premium."

I'll leave that exercise to the math majors since I have enough trouble with my checkbook.

Steve, Host
  • cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    Your link is hardly authoritative, mackakava, and is the most slender of reeds to support the blanket (mis)statements you have repeatedly made on this topic.
  • Does it even matter?

Do you care about 10 increased HP at 4000 rpm when your engine will almost never be there anyway with an auto tranny? Does macakava seriously think that 91 vs 87 octane is going to magically give him an extra 10 ft/lbs torque at any usable RPM range? Or that he would even notice/care if it did?!?!

Even if the recorded HP figures are boosted by higher octane fuel (and it wouldn't be by much anyway) minivan drivers are going to be more concerned about TORQUE since the purpose of their vehicle is to people move, not see how fast they can max out their speedometer.

And seriously, the "car guy" usage is too funny. So lame.
  • greg_ygreg_y Posts: 26
    "..likely to reduce power and possibly mileage..." Sounds authoritative to me. ;-) He also states that the Sienna's peak torque at 3,600 rpm may offset the Odysseys (2004, I won't mix an match model years to suite my preference as some posters will) horsepower advantage. Why didn't you mention that.
  • davenowdavenow Posts: 171
    good point.
    Let the facts speak for themselves. No need to discuss further.

The doubters will always rationalize their beliefs.

Seasons greetings to you and yours!
  • Best Minivan 2005 Honda Odyssey - Kiplingers magazine Best in Class 2005.

Give it to me Consumer Reports, Car & Driver, give it to the king, back on it's throne..... The 2005 Honda Odyssey, a good idea made better!!
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    rah.....rah.....rah.....
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "The doubters will always rationalize their beliefs."

Yes.

But that applies to both sides of any issue.

Howabout a good 'ol fashioned "MERRY CHRISTMAS"!!!!

(and if I offended anyone by using the word "Christmas"........get over it.)
    Randy,

No Offense, Mon!

You should be well settled in W-S by now!
    The facts and accollades indeed speak for themselves!
  • Hon-rah.....Hon-rah.....Hon-rah

Num-ba von!!!!!!!!!

Sank-you