Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    I would say the higher horsepower Ody does better on the autobahn...yahh?
  • gxpgtodanmangxpgtodanman Posts: 210
    Remember the Oddy is electronically governed to only 117 mph top end, according to Car and Driver. You might want to see if someone can reprogram that and at the same time put a higher speed rated tire on the van. Also I would use a synthetic motor oil and tranny fluid for that sustained high spd. The tires it comes with are only rated to 130mph or less. Otherwise I think you are still going to have trouble on the autobahn.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Good points gxpogtodam. But, I don't think she was intending to cruise above 117mph in a minivan. Probably 100mph so she doesn't get run over. What about it regganae. What is your need for speed in the Ody?
  • regganaeregganae Posts: 22
    You are so right! It is scary driving past 90mph, especially w/ kids, and I can't even think about going that fast in a minivan (how are those rollover ratings?!?) Germans are pretty good drivers, but when there is an accident at those speeds, it is devastating. I tried staying at 80mph in my civic, but you get pushed off the road by the other cars.

Their is an "American" Honda dealership over there (they sell to the military), that is where we bought our civic. But you get an "American" engine. German cars have engines that are built for the speed there. At one time I wanted to buy a Mercedes from a German dealership, but I was told I would have to get the engine converted to the tune of $3,000 because it is "too fast" for the American roads and I wouldn't get it past customs. I'm kinda drifting off from the topic now, but I just want to know what shape the Odyssey will be in from 5 years of driving on the autobahn at around the top speed that the engine can handle. But thank you for your input because this is a concern that I have. I have not seen any reviews on how the '05 Odyssey handles at it's top speed on the autobahn for 5 years. Oh, I must say, I won't be driving on the autobahn every day. But we will be taking trips to France and around Germany, but I will be driving locally on a day to day basis. Thank you so much you guys!!! I need all the help on this decision that I can get! ;)
  • macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    If you are lead foot driver, the Ody is the obvious choice in minivans!
  • smittyokcsmittyokc Posts: 5
    My wife and I just purchased an 05' EX-L from a local Oklahoma dealer, from their internet sales dept, for $28,543 (included delivery). If I recall, that was a little over $500 above invoice, or close to that. Good luck on your purchase.
    Sounds like an excellent price!

Enjoy your Ody!
    I just found out that the military Toyota sales in Germany sells an 8 passenger XLE. Odd? They do not sell the limited, AWD, or the Ody Touring. My wild guess is because of the tires over there. I am still pondering on whether or not I should get a Touring as I do not know how to get the tires for them over there, but it was interesting to see that thye sell an 8 passenger XLE, but no leather. Now I am wondering if I should get that instead. Ody EX-L w/ NAV or 8 seat XLE? Decisions, decisions! :confuse:
  • gxpgtodanmangxpgtodanman Posts: 210
    The only 2 recommendations I would make is Just make sure you use synthetic motor oil in it and change the tranny fluid a lot more frequently and it should be fine for the high spd operation Those Honda Vtec motors usually last a long time, even with people HARD on them.
  • cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    I can't speak about the Sienna's high speed drivability but can attest that the Odyssey is superb as it approaches triple digits.
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    <<As to the Toyota-the best price I have so far for an Sienna LE 7 passenger is $29, 345 with $1,350 for a dealer installed sunroof.>>

There's no such thing as dealer installed sunroof. If you want a "dealer installed sunroof", go chat with the Service Manager. Ask him who is their after-market vendor that they use for after market installed sunroof. Once you get that information, contact the company directly, and have them do the installation for you. Trust me, it's LOT cheaper to go directly to the after-market installer than to go to the dealership.

The way it works....salesman will sell you "dealer installed sunroof". The salesman will contact the Service Manager to arrange for the after-market sunroof installer to come to their dealership to pick up your minivan. He will drive your minivan to his shop. Once the installation is completed, he returns the minivan back to the dealership. The dealer will bill you 30-50% markup.

Typical after market sunroof installation is $995. It comes with 3 year warranty or even lifetime warranty....
  • cavillercaviller Posts: 331
    There is no SPIN, just a simple math.

Of course, to eliminate SPIN, you need to be base the numbers off street pricing, which could be lower or higher than invoice. In my area at least, it seems that Siennas sell a lot closer to invoice than Odysseys and there are also Toyota factory cash incentives you almost never see on an Odyssey...

Carsdirect.com has pricing that seems to be a pretty good indicator of a typical deal. It's not the best or worst price you'd get, but seems to reflect the trend of buyer reports you see on forums. Plus, it's an actual price you can get if you use their service.
    "I can't speak about the Sienna's high speed drivability but can attest that the Odyssey is superb as it approaches triple digits."

That is the priceless enjoyment and adventure that we, with lead feet, love so much about the Ody's performance for a minivan.
  • cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    LOL, speak for yourself, macakava! No lead feet here, just the practical experience of traveling great distances across the American West.
    Then you are probably enjoying the high speed and superior handling capabilities of the Ody without knowing it, i.e. in a sublimal way.

Switch to a DGC like I have done 70+ times in car rentals and you can feel the difference instantly, Mon!

Like Iaccocca said 10+ years ago and again today, and we have heard,

"If you can find a better car, buy it"

Hans has just done so with a 2006 Ody to join our club! Welcome aboard!!
    Thanks guys! With all the pep the Odyssey has, I am sure it will actually be fun to drive on the autobahn. There aren't too many places where you can zoom past the police going 100mph and they can't do nothin' about it (Bite My Dust!). I loved doin' that in my civic. Thank you for all the input, I will definetely post from Germany to let you all know how the Ody does at those speeds, but it is a van, I don't wanna push her to hard!
    Enjoy life at 100+mph in the German autobahn, Mon!

I wish we had highways in the USA where I can do sustained 100+mph legally. I guess that I will have to only enjoy that illegal speed for a temporary short time when I do a swift overtaking of a slower vehicle doing 70+mph.

It is very irritating to be stuck behind another vehicle doing 72mph trying to overtake another vehicle doing 70 mph. It takes AGES and when you overtake that 72mph driver, he/she looks scared like Aunty Mildred!
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    I prefer the Sienna for performance based on test driving each. ;) Apparently the Sienna has a better, more responsive transmission and the 242 lb-ft of torque is available at 3600 RPM while the slightly higher Ody 250 lb-ft torque does not come on until 5,000 RPM.
    Ody has a weight penalty with Ody EX weighing 300 or so lbs more than the Sienna LE. :cry:
    Either is MUCH more responsive than my 02 T&C LX with only 210 lb-ft torque and an old fashioned 4 speed AT.
    However, in real world driving I consistently get 26 to 28 MPG on trips. Does my experience indicate that when you do not have all that power, you drive more responsibly and get better gas mileage? :blush:
  • jim2363jim2363 Posts: 7
    Thanks for the response. I ended up throwing up my hands today and bought an Odyssey EX-L for $28,779. They wouldn't throw in the mats, so off to the Internet I go. I have this feeling that I could have gone for another $1-200, but maybe not. Considering all of the horror stories I hear about prices in Long Ilsand, I guess I did alright.
    Both the Ody and Sienna are fine minivans.

If your Lexus inclined, then go for Sienna.

If your BMW performance handling inclined, the Ody is it.

If you use your lead foot like C & D and Motor Trend do, the Ody will out accelerate the Sienna, especially in the climb up from 60 to 100mph.

It depends where your preference is in the wide driving spectrum.

NB: The Ody gives you 255hp on regular gas. The Sienna prefers premium gas for its 230 hp but can use regular; if you use regular, there will be some HP loss of maybe about 5hp which will let the Ody leave the Sienna even further behind
    Sounds like a good deal on an EXL. Weathertech.com has great aftermarket mats. Also Handa-accessories.com sells genuine Honda parts at prices lower than dealers.

Enjoy your Ody!
  • 05ody05ody Posts: 103
    I was reading on the net I think it was caranddriver. He was testing the Odyssey for its handeling on a race track, and said he hit 100MPH without even knowing it. He said it was so easy, he didnt even mean to because he was just testing the cornering not the speed. The rollover resistance is better on the Odyssey then the Sienna probablly because of the lower ground clearance and wider tires! I would love to drive a highway where you have no speed limit. I would love to not only see the top end speed on the Odyssey, but ive always been curious on what its been for my 98' Accord V6! :P
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Great analogy. The Lexus is known for reliable, quiet luxury while the BMW is finicky, high maintenance performance. ;)
    ( However, I doubt that the Odyssey will require as much costly maintenance as the BMW.) :blush:
  • hraohrao Posts: 78
    ALG residual values can be found on their website and also Honda website www.honda.com , Honda claims the ALG numbers as competetive advantage

ALG residual values for 2005 models after 60 months are:
    2005 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
    ALG residual is - 38% with Edmunds TMV of $26,572
    ALG Value left is $10097
    ALG value lost 26572-10097 = $16474
    Finance Charge expenses for 5 year = $3573
    Actual Value lost = 16474+3573 = $20,047

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE 7 Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)
    ALG residual is - 37% with Edmunds TMV of $26,989
    ALG Value left is $9985
    ALG value lost 26989-9985 = $17003
    Finance Charge expenses for 5 year = $3573
    Actual Value lost = 17003+3573 = $20,576

2005 Chrysler Town and Country Touring 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)
    ALG residual is 29% with Edmunds TMV of $24,840, with an Autual dealer quote of $23,570
    ALG Value left is $6835
    ALG value lost 23570-6835 = $16734
    Finance Charge expenses for 5 year = $3004
    Actual Value lost = 16734+3004 = $19,738

The above are identical models.

True value lost after 5 years, based on ALG projections for 2005 models
    Honda - $20,047
    Toyota - $20,576
    Chrysler - $19,738
    It does not matter what number you use and I am not trying to sell you a odyssey
    If you are shopping for a minivan , bottom line is if you can purchase

Town & country for $23100, Odyssey for $26,572 and Sienna for $26,100
    you break even after 60 months or 5 year per ALG numbers.

Go out and do your shopping.
  • cavillercaviller Posts: 331
    It does not matter what number you use and I am not trying to sell you a odyssey

I can't seem to find your original post. All I am saying is that you must use street prices for the original price, upon which you base any resale/residual. Instead of using TMV or Invoice or whatever, just use the carsdirect.com price for all the models you compare and see how the simple math works then.

I did a similar spread sheet back when I bought my 2001 Odyssey. Intellichoice, Edmunds and everyone else said the Odyssey was the clear winner in value, depreciation, etc, etc. The funny thing was that they always used MSRP in their calculations. At the time, only the Odyssey was selling at MSRP. The competition was all selling for thousands less. When you factored in that small error, the numbers equalized quite a bit.

Granted, overall value and depreciation is not a factor for me. I'd rather have the van for safety and convenience features. If you are shopping for value, you do need to use accurate numbers. ALG is nice, but make sure you know how they calculate their residuals. I don't know how they do it, but they may base them off MSRP, too...
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    If you are shopping for a minivan , bottom line is if you can purchase

Town & country for $23100, Odyssey for $26,572 and Sienna for $26,100
    you break even after 60 months or 5 year per ALG numbers.

I know,It seems your trying to sell the Chrysler! He uses the TMV for Honda and Toyota and a much lower quote for the Chrysler. It's his game to try and switch the number around it's pretty hard to follow. So I just don't follow it!! He also adds in finance charges now thats not true comparation. I paid cash fo my van!
    We are talking analogies here for those who don't understand!

Those who take every word to its literal meaning appear to be very finicky.

In the minivan category, it has been commonly said that,

the Ody is the "BMW" of mnivans in the way it handle for a minivan

the Sienna is the "Lexus" of minivans in the luxury it provides as a minivan
  • ctsangctsang Posts: 237
    You got it wrong.
    The Ody is the Acura of minivans, the Sienna is the Lexus of minivans.
    or
    The Ody is the BMW of minivans, the Sienna is the Mercedes of minivans.
    Anyway you want to cook the books or figures like Hrao is fine. :)

The only problem is that the Germans do not have the reliability of the Japanese cars. But we are addressing "handling" here, and yes the BMW handles better than the MB.
  • irgirg Posts: 197
    Yes, thank you for this post. Comparing ANY minivan to a BMW oriented machine is silly. The two really are not similar. The Sienna gets compared to a Lexus because it is quiet, smooth riding, and comfortable, so here the comparison is valid. If you want to, say the Odyssey is more sporting than the Sienna, by a little bit. But when I have my family in my Sienna, I really don't drive it like I am at the Watkins Glen track nearby, and I know my wife doesn't either. So for comparison sakes, I agree whole heartedly with your post. An Odyssey is Not like a BMW, nor is any other van. The Odyssey is indeed a very good van, let's just confuse things here. I used to own a fairly sporty Jetta GLX (v6) 5 speed, and even that car, was much faster and sportier than either van. I could hit 90 mph in third gear. Not sure I would want to do that in my Sienna, even if I could. I also couldn't carry 7 people in the Jetta and a lot of luggage. Two very different types of vehicles, not worthy of comparing to each other, because it doesn't make any sense.