Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Yaris

Comments

• lhansonlhanson Posts: 268
    edited February 2010
    Face-off Nissan Versa vs. Toyota Yaris
    The swankier Nissan outscores the spartan Toyota
    Another bashing from Consumer Reports even though they admit that predicted reliability for Nissan Versa sedan is much below average while the Toyota Yaris sedan is much above average and the MPG is 32 to 27 in the Yaris favor. They also point out that ESC is standard in the Yaris and optional in the Versa. The Yaris also has a folding rear seat for carrying larger items that the Versa lacks. Obviously the Versa is far superior to the Yaris.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,629
    Well, CR did point out some areas in which they thought the Versa is superior to the Yaris. In the end, they didn't recommend either car.
    They did recommend the Versa Hatchback, which is apparently much different from the Versa Sedan, at least in their opinion. The Yaris hatchback and sedan are essentially the same car as far as I can see.
    The 2010 Toyota Yaris is designed to fit in and stand out.

The economy car segment is thriving; why, just look at the 2010 Yaris. Toyota’s mighty subcompact is built with enough style, safety and substance to place it squarely atop the burgeoning economy class.

In three distinct body styles, the 2010 Yaris is the model of versatility. With three- or five-door liftbacks as well as a sedan trim to sift through, Toyota’s smallest entry brings a healthy dose of real-world flexibility to a class of vehicles often devoid of it. In short (all puns aside), it’s built to fit your life and, quite frankly, most tight spaces.

With its newest iteration, Toyota injects some bold, aerodynamic styling into the subcompact culture. Lines bubble and flow across the Yaris’ attractive body; its beautifully curving hood and narrow black mesh grill are accompanied by sleek multi-reflector halogens and a set of available fog lamps. In addition to available 15-inch alloy wheels, all models offer an optional Sport Package, which integrates the dynamic athleticism of color-keyed spoilers and paneling onto the Yaris canvas.

Yaris’ standard engine is a spirited and efficient 1.5-liter DOHC four-cylinder. With the economical precision of intelligent variable valve technology, Toyota’s powerplant generates 106 hp and 103 lb/ft of torque, more than enough for exciting, enjoyable acceleration and high-end speed. A five-speed manual transmission (with overdrive) comes standard, while an advanced four-speed electronically controlled automatic is available (standard on some models).

Handling on the newest Yaris is, as you’d imagine, quite nimble and lively. The subcompact’s size and balance allow for impressive responsiveness, which is enhanced by a precise electronic power steering system as well as a smooth, independent MacPherson strut front and torsion beam rear suspension setup. Lightweight and brilliantly tuned, the 2010 Yaris achieves up to a remarkable 36 highway miles per gallon.

Perhaps in spite of its compact nature, the interior of the new Yaris is surprisingly spacious and versatile. The cabin itself is sleek and modern; the dash’s gauges and controls spill down an attractive center stack to the gearshift and center console below, while available aluminum trim complements the modern, bolstered sport seats that accompany the Sport Package. Available 60/40-split rear seats fold down, unlocking over 25 cubic feet of versatile cargo space (and nearly 13 cubic feet in sedan models).

The Yaris’ unique stack houses the vehicle’s climate controls (including those of the standard air conditioner), as well as the available CD/MP3 stereo (with easy iPod integration). For enhanced comfort and convenience, the steering wheel and shift knob feature available leather trimming, while intuitive storage options are located throughout the cabin.

All 2010 Yaris models come standard with a vast array of intelligent safety features, including advanced three-point safety belts, and front, side and side-curtain airbags. Body paneling, door beams and the vehicle’s very frame have been engineered to better withstand impact, and Toyota’s Star Safety System, with standard stability control, traction control and antilock brakes, has been implemented to help prevent collisions in the first place.

Filled with big features, Toyota’s compact 2010 Yaris sports an equally compact price; the newest Yaris features a starting MSRP of just $12,605.
  • regal5regal5 Posts: 4
    Anyone else have run away acceleration with the 2009 Yaris?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,629
    Did you write this yourself? If so, nice job! If not, it is customary to note the source.
    edited May 2010
    No, it was straight out of a Toyota e-mail from Performance Toyota in Memphis, Tennesse, United States of America, Panel Earth. I didn't think they would mind, sorry if I have offended anyone.
    I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with run away acceleration in a Yaris. Have you?
  • dakedake Posts: 131
    No, b/c the Yaris is 100% Japanese. The vehicles that had the gas pedal issues were made with outsourced parts in other countries (in our case mostly US).
  • rslykrslyk Posts: 3
    There is a defect in the 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 dr Hatchback... If your vin#
    is below jtdjt9#3*75126293 Toyota discovered the defect and changed
    the product after that vin#. It is not a safety issue... but sooner or later
    will cause a failure that will cost $1200 to repair. If during warranty period
    Toyota will cover it but not after warranty expires....Relace the $25 worth of
    parts before a very costly repair occurs.
    Would you please correct the shift key error in the VIN number and elaborate on what the problem is? I think it may apply to my car if you substituted # for 3.
  • boris13boris13 Posts: 80
    I'd like to know what this defect is. My VIN comes before the change, so I suppose it should be looked at.
    edited June 2010
    Edmunds has a list of tsb's for this car, as well as, all others I presume. TSB E048-07 is not listed. I am beginning to have my doubts about the veracity ot this post. It is noted that the TSB number was lifted from another website and is attributed to a poster that goes by the same ID.
  • dakedake Posts: 131
    edited July 2010
    Yeah - HERE are all the TSBs for the '07 Yaris. That number doesn't appear to match anything it doesn't even seem to be a correct TSB format.

edit: it didn't actually link to the correct page, but you can search there for them.
  • johna8johna8 Posts: 2
    Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a used 2007 Yaris (2dr, automatic, 22k miles, red) from a private party. When I take it to a mechanic to get it checked out, are there things I should ask him/her to check on specifically? I'm a bit of a car idiot, so any help is appreciated.

I've read here that the red paint might be an issue, so that's one thing. Anything else, other than the standard check-up?

Thank you!
  • morin2morin2 Posts: 399
    Sometimes the condition of the brakes and tires will be an indication of how the car was driven. This is a light car, and driven gently, the brakes and tires should have very little wear. If you're waiting during the inspection, ask the mechanic to show you the brakes and anything that might need attention. I would ask him to look specifically for any evidence of accident damage.

Good luck!
  • johna8johna8 Posts: 2
    Thanks, but I guess what I'm asking is if there are any things specific to a Yaris that I should ask the mechanic to take a look at. (That is, things that deserve more attention when buying a used Yaris than when buying any other used car.)
    I would go along with morin2 on this. If the car has not been abused it should be ok. I have not had the first problem with my 2007 Yaris hatchback with 24000 miles on it. Also maybe check for evidence of oil changes at proper intervals.
  • The Toyota Yaris is the best compact car I've ever seen in Toyota's production, it's like the mini cooper of Japan especially when bolted with toyota parts and accessories like this one.

• regal5regal5 Posts: 4
    How are the Axels (cv joints) holding up on these? When I heard the price for replacement axels I nearly choked. Going from a 93 civic where parts costs were so cheap it was rediculous, I am concerned that the aftermarket replacement parts won't be there in 5 years when I start needing them.

The TRD suspension is a must IMO, the stock suspension is good for bouncing along straight roads, the TRD transforms the whole car. I actually ran off the road twice cause the stock suspension was so soft. With the TRD it is planted solid thru turns.

Those are my only two isses after 1.5 years of ownership.