Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Yaris

Comments

• rossm2rossm2 Posts: 96
    This seems to be the real thing - the Japanese Vitz. Whether or not this will be the new North American car remains to be seen. There are many specialized versions that vary according to market. The site is fun to explore, although I wish I could read the Japanese. I really like the extra storage where the instruments would normally live.

http://toyota.jp/vitz/exterior/bodycolor/index.html

Ross
  • From what they say, it's an all new platform but with carryover engines:

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101763
  • vybvyb Posts: 1
    When I was at the dealership, the only car I felt comfortable in was the Echo. Now that they've added power windows, the only thing missing is cruise control. I love the feel and the fuel economy. With cruise control, this would be a very enjoyable vehicle for long stretches of scenic driving.

I also think that adding cruise control would help "legitimize" the Echo in the Toyota line-up. Does anyone know if the option is available in other countries? or in the 2006 model?
    Cruise control is available on both the 2005 sedan and the hatchback in Canada.

Ross
  • Sadly, the dealers "PRIVATELY" referred to the Starlet, as the "TOILET". NOT their best effort.....
  • autonutsautonuts Posts: 138
    know when the 2006 Echo will arrive in the U.S.?
    What will the car be based on, (Ex:Is there a model in Japan/Europe which the new one will look like?), and what are the different body styles will be offered? Thanks!
    I don't think that the arrival dates are known yet. As to the basis for the car, the Vitz is almost certainly it. Look back a few posts (e.g. #31, 32) for pictures and the Toyota Japan site.

Ross
  • I hope that when they redesign the Echo they use a normal gauge cluster. I can't stand center gauge clusters. Not only does it block your front vision partially, it also can be hard to read sometimes. The Nissan Quest and a few Scion cars have them - they are ugly and should be removed.
  • Well, I have narrowed my choice: Either an Echo or an Accent. I desperately want a manual speed Echo. Went to Homestead Toyota today. Was told by sales rep: no Echos available at all. Echo is being revamped and will come out in 2007 as a hatchback!

Went to look at Accent. Don't like the height do like the warranty. Love the warranty. Talked to Accent owner in the neighborhood. She said no mechanical problems hates the dealer though. Also said, warranty, roadside assistance great. She got what she paid for. Advised me to take a man along to do the dirty wheeling and dealing for me because she paid close to nothing. Her son refused to allow her to pay for such a rudimentary vehicle.

Thoughts
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Just so you know, theres a New Accent due this Fall that is just about 100% better than the one that you saw in the dealerships. More powerful, more fuel efficient, much larger interior, similar size outside (slightly bigger), more safety features, better suspension, etc. You'll get the same great warranty if you wait until fall, but you will not be able to get a fire sale price as you might be able to now.

~alpha
  • does any one know when the 2006 echo's will be available in the dealership's to buy?
    the 2005 ones are not really available in dealerships. At least in the md/dc/va area.
    thanks

:D
  • snifflessniffles Posts: 34
    Check the web site listed below. It looks like a hatchback will be available in 10/05 and a sedan in 2/06. In Maryland, CarMax of Laurel had about 4 2005 Echos left but they were all automatics the last time I checked. Good luck.

http://www.donlen.com/buildstart_toyota.asp
  • odmanodman Posts: 309
    In Canada, the Echo is now the #4 top selling car, trailing the Civic, the Mazda3, and the Corolla. It's amazing that we are on the same continent.

You can get Echos everywhere, in any colour and in hatch and sedan body styles. Americans, at least, have Scion.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,444
    I hate to admit it, but Canadians seem to buy much more sensible vehicles.
  • mebmanmebman Posts: 100
    The Echo is a great car, but I need a hatch. Does any one know the latest on whether or not the USA is going to get the newly redesigned Vitz as the Echo hatch?
    see my post #43 that I made yesterday
  • mebmanmebman Posts: 100
    Thanks. BTW who is the donlen corperation and how do they know?
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    mebman-

Donlen is apparently a fleet leasing company (they buy batches of cars and lease them to corporations who want a new fleet of company cars every year). I've been using their site to get production info for a long time, and it seems to be accurate. Of course, production schedules can change at the last minute, so I wouldn't be my life on it, but their info has been as good as any.

-Andrew L
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Posts: 288
    I called Toyota today asking for a brochure on the Toyota Echo and the man said there are none available because production of the Echo will be discontinued.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    lostwrench-

Yeah, that's because the 2006 "Echo" will be called the Yaris. There has been a ton of confusion on this point. I can't count how many times I've seen postings on forums stating that the Echo is being "replaced by Scion", which is false.

-Andrew L
  • dona83dona83 Posts: 67
    Have you seen our gas prices? In Vancouver right now gas is upto $1.07CAD a litre for regular... that's $3.31USD a gallon. You'd be an absolute fool or stupidly rich or a construction worker to buy a car that has a fuel economy less than 30MPG. a guy i know who who works at a used car dealership says that they're having a whole lot of trouble getting rid of their bigger cars and trucks while civics and the like are going through like... well... won't state example here.
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    the price at the pump is usually a supply and demand issue. what do you think the price of gas would be if canada and the usa didn't export so much of the oil they pump out of the ground?
    the oil companies have found it's more profitable to export our oil and charge the north american consumer more for imported oil.
    and they don't even give us a kiss after they screw us.
  • I would love them to bring the Vitz/Yaris over here. The styling would cause me to buy one because the only real reason I haven't bought the current one is because I think it's ugly and sparsely equipped. If they bring them over here, and give them some decent equipment while still retaining the 1.5L engine that gets 42mpg, then I will be first in line for one! Love the Vitz/Yaris styling, and an RS version would be nice (too bad we will probably not see one :cry: ).
    What about Scion? I don't understand buying an echo that gets 37mpg's lol. If it got 40 (or 42 like the new one) I would have one, but 37mpg's for a 108hp car is just bleh. And it doesn't even accelerate as well as the current echo (0-60mph in 8.5 secs for a 1.5L is just crazy acceleration).

Now, the US echo's vary by state. I live here in MD and you can NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM get power windows!! (not even on an automatic sedan) Power steering had been also impossible to get on a coupe, but now it's an option you MUST get. I swear, toyota makes you buy all these options and it drives the car up, and those options should be standard! Jeez, my current Metro even has a standard Rear window defogger/defroster! (ouch)
    All they need to do is bring Vitz/Yaris over here and do what they did with scion: make everything standard and they will sell them quickly. If sales pick up then we may actually see an RS version. Of course if they didn't make everything standard, and just made most standard amenities standard then they would still sell pretty well.
    Name wise, I don't really mind: As long as it isn't called chicken poop or something dumb like that. Of course we can just pull the emblems off and put Vitz emblems on and be happy! Of course seeing the revival of Tercel or Starlet would be fine, just watch out for the nay sayers.
    Just my 2 cents tho.
    I also think toyota should just redo the celica and mr2 and they would become popular again but what do I know? :(
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Posts: 181
    Well since Canada already has the Echo Hatchback RS, I don't see why Toyota wouldn't continue to bring it on the next generation in all North America!
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,690
    Toyota has done market surveys and that is what they use to decide what cars to sell. Apparently hatchbacks are a loser in the US market. So I doubt you will EVER see the ECHO hatch sold here. In fact I wouldnt be suprised to see the scion Xa go before long. Americans just dont want small cars. Its a shame because the diesel hatch Yaris is so popular in Europe youd think theyd throw the US a bone and import some here. Never happen.
    I don't know if this is the replacement for the USA Echo but the web site is for the 2006 Toyota Yaris which is suppose to be coming to the USA. If it is I hope they change the front end. It's kind of ugly. I also hope they change the name. What the heck is a Yaris?

http://www.motorbox.com/Auto/Magazine/Prossimamente/toyotayaris2006.html?mmc=49
    Yes it is the Echo replacement for 2006 but the sedan is missing and I really wonder what it'll look like!
  • autoposterautoposter Posts: 1
    Hey,

About the new Echo, I just saw pictures of the Toyota Aygo which will start being sold in Europe this July.
    The Aygo is supposed to slot in under the Yaris hatchback, and will sell for about $11,000 Canadian ($9,000 American, or $7,000 Euros).
    It will be sold with a 67 hp 3L engine, with either two of three doors.
    See the pictures at:

http://www.reportmotori.it/Toyota%20Aygo%20-%20Frontale800.jpg
    ...and a whole gallery at...
    http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/T/toyota/aygo/gallery.html

Maybe Toyota Canada and US will sell a rebadged Aygo rather than a new Echo, or maybe they'll bring over the Aygo.">
    No, surely not. Perhaps Toyota would bring it in Canada to compete the Smart Fortow but it will NEVER replace Echo, you can be sure of that. The Aygo is way too small in every aspects to fill the space between itself and Corolla. Echo will get a replacement, the Yaris, which Japan already has, and perhaps Toyota can bring the Aygo here but as the entry level car of its line-up, not replacing the Echo, which is, by the way, a B-segment car contrarily to Aygo (A-segment).
  • dona83dona83 Posts: 67
    The new 2006 Echos have been ordered and are scheduled to arrive either in July or August. It will be called the Echo. She doesn't know whether the hatchback has been redesigned or not, but she said that the sedan is definitely redesigned. Hmmm are we getting a trunk on the Yaris? Are they actually going to make the trunk look right this time? Anyway I'm a hatchback kind of person anyway. My dillema is that I prefer the sporty looks of the current Echo hatchback but it would be nice to drive the more refined Echo-Yaris.