Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    you can get a Yaris over $18,000 with options and packages? Now that's just plain out of hand.

I wonder if either of the cars charlestondrew drove had the 15" rims. I expect that this car still gets blown around a bit on the skinny 14"ers of the totally base models, even though the roof is a little lower than the old Echo.

The sedan I drove was no more noisy than lots of other cars in the class, certainly not more noisy than the xA at speed. I haven't driven the hatch yet, but as a veteran of hatches, I will say that hatches always have more road noise than sedans at speed, because the wheel wells are half (or all) in the trunk in a sedan, and the back seat muffles the noise coming through. In a hatchback, the wheel wells are entirely inside the passenger compartment, so more of the noise always gets through.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    $18,000 for a Yaris.....what a joke. I could get an auto Corolla LE with every conceivable option for less than that, not to mention I could get a semi-loaded auto Camry for less than that around here with minimal if any haggling.

I wouldn't pay more than $12,000 for a Yaris right now, considering there are still fire-sale Corollas available for $11,000.

Unless the Corolla's REALLY spike in price when the redesign happens next year, I foresee another quick death for the "Echo 2.0".
  • juljeepjuljeep Member Posts: 1
    For folks worried about the Yaris' seats, don't. They're extremely comfortable. :shades:

For folks worried about the Yaris' price, don't. The salesman literally said, "Here's invoice, I'll sell it for that." Invoice as listed was 11,854, with the comfort package of AM/FM/CD/MP3, 15" wheels, rear defrost, etc. It's worth the extra $550ish.

For folks worried about the ride, don't. I have put 700 miles on it in the first week, split pretty evenly between 75 on busy highways and a lot of stop and go, downtown traffic. I have no complaints. :)

If you can work up the price on a Yaris over 18,000, you don't know how to work with a dealer. This is the first car that ever pulled me away from a Jeep; admittedly, it had a little help as DC has been designing terrible new Jeeps and I wanted good mpg.
    I have seen it, and it is real. I have seen the mythical beast - a base Toyota with no added options. That's right, there before my eyes last night was a Yaris 3-door, manual shift, no packages. OK, it wasn't quite base price because for about $200 it had the full set of factory mats and a rubber bumper protector (don't know why you would ever want one of those on this model - it is not a big enough car to climb in through the hatch or anything).

But at a sticker of $11,700, there stood a real-life Yaris hatch.....and I LOVE the look. It is very short-looking - the wheels are right at the edges of the vehicle. Proportionally, it is VERY similar to the old Geo Metros, but I think it is a little longer than those cars.

And at $11,700, the car last night had no radio, no rear wiper or defogger, and no 60/40 seat. Without the convenience package, the back seat goes down in one piece and doesn't sit quite flat. I think I would still go the extra $600 for the fold-flat rear seat, factory CD, and rear wiper and defroster. But overall, I was favorably impressed. The roofline is flat, so if you ever have rear-seat passengers their heads don't get squished, and the back seat has tons of legroom - the seat is pushed all the way to the back door. As a result, carrying anything more than a few large bags of groceries or a couple of duffle bags would require popping that back seat down, but it is really easy to do, you just lift the handle and push, it does the rest.

beantown: Not only will the lowest-trim Corollas spike by probably $1000 at the redo early next year (I predict that with Yaris here now, there will no longer be a trim as stripped as the current CE), but also I am sure Toyota will now stop building the cheapo Corollas in favor of more loaded models. Not to mention, gas is up to $2.70/gallon again, and its not even April. With gas probably over $3/gallon this summer, fuel efficient cars like this will probably be quite popular, and dealers may not be dealing on them quite so much.

Finally, I am in a loaner Corolla last night and today as my truck is at the dealer, and there are one or two things that bother me about this model that are totally absent in the Yaris, starting with the steering wheel that doesn't face straight back but is canted to the left instead (not to mention being a long way from the driver once the seat is set for your legs), including fixed mirrors rather than foldable and no side marker turn lights, and an interior you sit DOWN in a lot more than you do in the Yaris (or the Echo before it).

Plus the rear seats in the Yaris (with the 60/40) recline and slide back and forth. And the gauge pack looks much nicer with the Optitron treatment than the white-faced ones in all but the LE Corolla. ;-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The Corolla CE has white on black instrumentation; it is the Corolla S that has the white faced instrumentation. The XRS and LE, as you stated, have the Optritron cluster.

~alpha
    oh that's right...I like the Optitron gauges in the Yaris better than the CE's black face gauges too. They have some pizazz. I also don't like the way the Corolla S gauges light up at night. The frosted blue thing is too close to white, and they look SO bright in your face. If you dim them way down to compensate, now you can't see any of the HVAC controls. Just a personal preference.

I noticed that the new Camry has fixed side mirrors too, and I think the only reason the Yaris has foldable ones is because it was designed for other markets. Considering the '07 Camry, I expect the '08 Corolla will still have the fixed side mirrors too. Just one more thing I have come to have an opinion on (used to be I didn't really care either way)!

• atlantikiaatlantikia Member Posts: 7
    heh, i actually laughed when i looked at my yaris and saw the foldable side mirrors. i mean WHERE THE HELL are you parking that you need to fold the mirrors on this car
    with a Camry knocked his driver's side mirror off in a drive-thru once. If it had been foldable it probably wouldn't have broken. And those power mirrors are $200 to replace. It is those kind of tight spaces they are better for. But I agree - it is a minor point. :-)

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It's not a minor point to me. I once leased a Sentra that was about the same size as the Yaris sedan. It had fixed power mirrors. Lost two of them in the 3 years I had the car--one for me, one for my wife--both times nicking them on the edge of the garage door frame. I prefer folding mirrors. Also parking garage spaces seem to be getting tighter and tighter, especially those designed for "small cars only".
  • neatnick79neatnick79 Member Posts: 12
    Hello all... I've been with my new Yaris since last week... (yay!)... it's a (very bright) red liftback with an automatic, the convenience package, and nothing more. Let me start by saying that I just LOVE this car. It gives me everything I need, nothing more, nothing less. The mirrors DO fold in, in case that's a concern. They're not power, though, on my model, and guess what--there's not even a remote manual adjuster--you have to reach out into the rain and get fingerprints on them to adjust them! Only the sedan has a remote manual adjuster. I think that's been my only complaint so far. Oh, and the seat folds as one piece, just like the base model, unless you get the power package. The ride is on the stiff side, but I'm used to driving Korean cars, which ride VERY soft, so it's probably just me. This gives it great handling, though. I also like how the speedo is at maximum illumination by default with the headlights off, then it gets dimmer with the headlights on. Get used to not hearing the steering when you turn at low speeds, even to the stops--the electric unit is pretty much silent--without that whining that the hydraulic units have. Get used to stares, too. And little kids pointing. And people asking questions! But I'm more than happy to tell them about this great little car!
  • fooberfoober Member Posts: 21
    thanks for your info.. I ordered a yaris liftback manual for two months now. Glad to hear they're starting to show up. HOw does it ride at high speeds. HOw does it handle at high speeds. 70-75 mph.

How does the automatic do. I could wind up going auto. But am still aiming for a manual.

My dealership has said the sedans will show up first and then the much awaited for liftbacks.
  • reddroverrreddroverr Member Posts: 509
    glad you like it, I saw and sat in one at an auto show and I thought it was a sharp little car. People bagging on the interior were out of line IMO.

Happy motoring
    Toyota says they are going to make hybrids across all classes. Though they mention down to compact and say nothing about subcompact.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060401/ap_on_bi_ge/japan_toyota
    HOnda supposedly will make a hybrid out of the fit. Hope toyota does the same thing with the yaris.
    Hi Guys... thanks for responding... this is my first car with an automatic. After years of traffic, I decided to go with one. I like it a lot. It shifts unnoticably, unless you floor it during normal driving and it downshifts a couple gears. Even then, it's smooth to shift, then all the way to the redline (whereever that is... hehe). It won't shift into overdrive until the "cool" light goes off on the dash, due to emissions regulations (interesting!), but at least then you know you can turn on the heater! The fastest I've taken the new car so far is around 75 mph, for a short while... otherwise I drive between 65-68 or so mph... I guess I drive slowly. We DO have a lot of traffic here in New England, plus I've been going easy on the car for now (does that "breaking in" stuff still hold true from the old days?--probably not). It's not worth flooring the auto on the highway as 3rd gear midrange gives all the power you're going to get out of the car, but it's enough to get her up to 75 mph or so very quickly (I've done this a couple times) to pass. The highway handling feels nice, tight and sure, kind of go-karty, if that makes any sense. You'll only notice the body roll if you really jerk the wheel (emergency lane change, etc). Too bad it also feels like a go-kart in the bumps, such as expansion joints, as they are dealt with rather roughly too (probably because of the short wheelbase and fairly stiff ride). Personally, I prefer this slightly rough-riding, better-handling peppiness to the softer, bigger cars.
    thanks for the detailed description of how it handles at high speeds. And the auto info.. Sounds like a nice little car. Sure wish mine would show up. Soon I hope.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    Well, I think you can probably forget about the Yaris getting the Hybrid Synergy Drive drivetrain. We may see it on the next-generation Corolla due about one year from now.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Phil Meador Toyota of Pocatello, ID, is making resisting this new 2007 Toyota Yaris sedan pretty difficult!

They now have on their lot a 2007 Toyota Yaris in Barcelona Red and it's a 'Base' Yaris, just what I configured on the Teton Toyota website a few days ago. It has all the things I want except it doesn't have the alloy wheels. It rings up to $14,650 after their "Dealer Prep." gizmo of $560-odd bucks they conveniently add. No big deal-it has the Audio system that will play MP3's and who knows what else, it has front driver's and passenger's seat regular front airbags and then it also has the side airbags and rear seat curtain airbags...just like the 2006 Kia Rio's do. Only Toyota charges me $650 for these.

It even has this plastic guard for the top of the rear bumper, right where you load in and out of the trunk.

I think if I buy this one the only thing I would feel the cool little sedan is lacking would be nice rims...and for this car I would want to add them, though I would not insist on having them as part of the deal as I discussed with the Scion salesman up in Idaho Falls when looking at the 2006 Polar White xA in 5-speed form.

With this hot little Yaris 4-door sedan I would cut a deal with Phil Meador and then just ask around and find out who in Pocatello offers the best deal in aftermarket wheels. There isn't a Discount Tire but that would not be a hard thing to find. I would, like always, insist on the best value around or I would just live with the Toyota "notchy-looking" wheel covers. Oh, it's got the Bridgestone 15" Potenza tires, the same tires that Toyota puts on their Scion tC's. So, gentlemen, it's even got the 15" tire and steel wheel upgrade-I just won't like those wheel covers for very long. Hell, all I have to do is work a couple extra days and I'll have paid for the aftermarket wheels. The Yaris sedan will look great with nice wheels, too.

OK, I will test drive, probably on my next stretch of days off, late next week. Snoozin' will lose it for me, though, so I best plan on the strategy of the century with the boss. :blush:

How about 34 city, 40 highway, dear? Cruising all over Idaho on our time off with great ghastly mileage?

Oh, the "dealer prep." $560 charge includes verbage on the window sticker of something about a "stereo 4-speaker setup" or something like that. What's up with that? Did I read that right? That must be on the regular window sticker somewhere but I'm thinking it was on the "dealer prep." mark-up...I...I mean totally necessary work done by the dealer so you can be really happy with your Yaris from the get-go. Like Phil Meador really puts the stock factory speakers in the rig! Possibly it was just a hallucination.

I guess what I like about it is the grand total...$14,650. My online forage from Teton Toyota's configurator totalled $14,675! Talk about close. No $16,000 or $18,000 Yarii here to annoy me here in Pocatello! Forget the haggling...I don't deem it necessary! Let's see how long this flame will go before getting blown out. :P

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    One would think that Toyota would have learned from the xA by now. This car looks "tinny", even smaller than the Geo Metro. I think most people would rather spend a few $ more and get the basic Yaris sedan or the Honda Fit, or a used Corolla.
    The american public in general is still living in the 50's. Buying big gas guzzlers. Having to buy the fanciest tricked out thing available ect. We've got a saying in our family. Saying some folks have more money than brains. That about sums up the american public.

I definetly want the yaris liftback for a couple of reasons. For the room in the back with the seats down our out of the car. And for it being shorter to fit into spaces better. And definetly for the good gas milage.

Gas goes over 3.00 and alot of americans will be whineing big time.
    we think alike about the American public. In their defense I think a lot of them are actually worried that they'll crash in a car like the 2007 Toyota Yaris hatchback and never see another day. To me, that's a copout. Even though I'm interested in the 4-door Yaris I also can't stand what the average American likes in cars. All of these bloated Pontiac Grand Am's have me feeling like barfing in the Chuckwagon can after overdoing it in the buffet.

I much prefer the smaller cars like Kia's and Scion's and Toyota's. Ones that have some detailed styling to them. Toyota hit it right on with this Yaris sedan and hatchback.

They harken me back to that early 70's Toyota Celica..remember the one that looks like a Scion tC retro-ed back about 30 years and shrunk a little. Great design involved then and this new Yaris is another winner. Toyota will sell boatloads of them.

Perhaps, but if the rumor about the hybrid Fit is true, then all bets are off.
  • kato1kato1 Member Posts: 64
    i test drove the yaris sedan and hatch yesterday. for a subcompact they werent too bad. acceleration was adequate (barely) and at 70 mph the rpms were a bit high and for me the engine drone at that speed would become tiresome. the hatch was at just under 14k and the sedan was just at 14,900k. i decided to test drive the corolla. definitely more power and considerably quieter in engine and road noise at highway speed. the corolla ce with cruise, power locks was actually cheaper than yaris sedan and the mileage was 32/41 (i'd be giving up power windows, but i dont much care) i know several people with corollas and their mileage is very close to this. the yaris stick at 34/40 is merely adequate, but not special for such a small car that gives a harsher, noisier ride. the honda fit is even more disappointing in the mileage dept. 32/37 is just embarrassing for such a small car. it is WAY too heavy at around 2400 lbs. (barely lighter than corolla with a weaker engine. the primary point of these subcompacts, imo, has to be outstanding gas mileage. the yaris city mpg is good, but highway mileage is merely ok. the honda fit numbers look very disappointing. i guess if you can find a stripped down yaris for 11,500 it would be a good value.
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    The 32/37 is for the Fit Sport with an automatic. The manual is 33/38. The Yaris is still better, but I'm not sure how "merely adequate" becomes "just embarrasing" with a 1 or 2 mpg drop in EPA estimates. The Fit is heavier thanks to far more standard equipment - particularly more standard safety equipment. For the Yaris, things like side airbags, side curtain airbags, ABS/EBD all need to be purchased separately.

Also, Car & Driver's recent test of 7 subcompacts found the Yaris had an average of 36 mpg and the Fit 35 mpg in realistic driving. Not that big of a difference.
    Hi All... call me crazy, but I chose the Yaris liftback over the Corolla because, to me, it's much better looking, and finally something refreshingly different! It's just the cutest car ever... hehe. I guess I like little cars better, too. Let's face it, they haven't exactly been plentiful in this country. In terms of safety, I guess I'll just have to take my chances. The European frontal crash tests look good (better than anything else in the class), and I don't think your chances are much better in a side impact in a Corolla (especially if both have side airbags). Oh, and in terms of the highway driving, I don't notice the high revs or any droning... perhaps I'm used to driving REALLY crappy cars, or I listen to the radio too loud... ;)
  • kato1kato1 Member Posts: 64
    The 32/37 is for the Fit Sport with an automatic. The manual is 33/38. The Yaris is still better, but I'm not sure how "merely adequate" becomes "just embarrasing" with a 1 or 2 mpg drop in EPA estimates.

your right, so ill just say they are both just merely adequate in regards to mileage. if im not mistaken the yaris weighs about 2250 lbs and corolla over 2500. i think honda and toyota can do better than this. new civic automatic is rated at 40 mpg highway. corolla stick is 41 highway, so why isnt the lighter yaris better? im not normally a conspiracy nut, but if they got the yaris and fit to, say, 36/44 wouldn't that hurt sales of higher priced hybrids? i think they are both good cars, but not at 14k-15k. if im going to give up highway comfort, then i want something in return. (namely, very high gas mileage). if i can get the same mileage in a corolla, then its a no brainer for me. i understand people digging the looks of the hatch. i kinda liked it in this regard as well, but not quite enough to win me over the corolla.
    Perhaps, but if the rumor about the hybrid Fit is true, then all bets are off.

However, with the very likely chance the Fit will get a full-model change (FMC) by the middle of 2007, the new second-generation car will likely be designed so it could accommodate the Integrated Motor Assist hybrid drivetrain, especially now with the new Li-On battery packs which offers lots of power but at a much smaller size than the NiMH battery packs used in today's hybrid cars.

People forget that Hybrid Synergy Drive tends to take up a lot of space under the hood, and if you've seen pictures of even the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid you'll know what I mean.
    I think it will come down to a question of whether they want a hatchback or a sedan. Me, I like hatchbacks!

It is also possible to get Yaris sedans for less money than Corollas too, but once they cross over in price, there are few reasons (there are a couple though) not to go to the Corolla, with more power, the same fuel economy, and a slightly quieter ride.

The Yaris looks better than the Corolla to me personally too. It also has the new Toyota face that all the Toyotas will have once the Corolla changes over next year. Which might be a good or bad thing, depending on your perspective.

• hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    I am also a huge fan of hatchbacks. I would take one over a stepback sedan or coupé no question about it.

I personally think the bubbly-looking front looks better on the smaller Toyotas. I like the look of the Yaris hatchbacks (both 3 and 5 doors) as well as the cute little Aygo, but I think having that face on all Toyotas is pushing it.
    hatchback face even on the Yaris sedan.

Hey, nippononly, did you see my note above about that Barcelona Red base Yaris sedan at my local dealer? It's got the side and side curtain airbags front and rear! I'm not a safety nerd but that is a nice option, eh? The total price still just comes to $14,650.

Very close to the one I configured earlier on the competitor's website up in Idaho Falls, ID. That's another positive, this one is at a dealer that is located just 1 mile from my Pocatello house! The Kia dealer is about 3 miles away.

Ahh..to be blessed with foreign import dealers so close to home, with rigs that I really like and want.

Now, to prepare test driving for the Yaris sedan in 5-speeds and Barcelona Red paint.

Side note of little interest to most: I don't think the base Yaris sedan has any side door mouldings to ward off shopping car dents! Oh no! The Yaris S sedan has the bodyside cladding down below the door sill to ward off those pesky carts. ;) I know, a very minor point, but a point indeed! Not nearly enough to block a purchase, the apparent lack of side door mouldings.

sedan would stop shopping cart dings.

Something to think about but I would still prefer the Barcelona Red paint on the base Yaris sedan.

That having been said, the S sedan does look very nice and I feel that Toyota did it right on the Yaris S sedan.

See how the front of the Silver Yaris sedans look kind of like Flipper from the popular TV series from the 60's?

OK, I'll go get some sleep. I'm almost to my string of days off! :shades:

well, if you look at the front end of the new Camry, it is quite startling how similar it looks to the Yaris. And to me it seems like both are mimicking the looks of the 1-year-older Avalon to a large degree. I can only assume the new Corolla will follow this trend next spring.

iluv: yup, saw your note! :-)

You like the red then? You had better move if you are anyways serious about buying, as these are selling pretty well right now. My local dealers keeps turning over their stock of Yarii, much to my surprise. The only one that refuses to sell is a white 'S' trim sedan with packages that put the MSRP over $16K. That price, it appears, has been its undoing so far. But then, it has only been there what, about ten days? So its time on the lot is insignificant so far.

And BTW, I highly doubt that the side skirts of the Yaris S would stop a shopping cart from causing a ding, as they are at just the wrong height.

• inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    Have you guys ever driven a Corolla?. We rented one several times because we like the looks and fuel economy,
    but it is the most bland car to drive. Only tried the auto though. A Yaris hopefully is a much more fun ride.
    My dealership is finally getting a liftback. But its not what I want. So now I have to wait till wednesday or thursday to see what other liftbacks around the northwest might be available to do a trade with them to get one closer to the one I want.

I thought if you preordered one you'd get the exact one you wanted. I preordered and put money down in january for a certain one. Either my dealship is giving me sheet or there just won't be that many choices with the liftback.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I have driven a Corolla, and was pleseantly suprised at how capable it was. That was a manual though - I don't do automatics.
    this evening as I went back to look at a liftback I saw late last week when the dealership was just closing - I wanted to drive it today. It was gone.

They SOLD a base model manual with NO options, meaning it had 14" wheels, no rear wiper or defogger, and no radio. They sold it! I figured for SURE a car so basic would be there quite a while.

I was wrong.

Meanwhile, the dealer where I drove the sedan (which is still there, the one I drove, a week later) says his hatchbacks have been delayed, maybe this Thursday they will finally have one. And the two closest dealers, which are both pretty small, say they aren't expecting any (and neither has more than 2 Yarii, so I guess they ordered light on this model).

Finding a liftback could prove to be a pain. :-(

its early yet. sounds like only a couple of hundred liftbacks have even showed up in the usa so far. I believe toyota was going to bring in quite a few thouand of them. So its just begun. I'll wait till the right one shows up. Much to my dealerships unhappiness of having me pestoring them. I've waited two years. I can wait a couple of months more to land the one I want.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I hope your right about Toyota bringing the hatch in larger numbers. I know I am in a minority but I dislike the sedan and love the hatch. My biggest grip is content of the hatch. Styling and Toyota brand name will be what sells it. You can get more content in competitors models. Standard items like a rear wiper,rear defogger and a radio cost very little for the company. leaving them off is a mistake. Also, I know in today's modern cars one does not honestly need a tach to keep from over revving but other markets get one so should we. So, I hope that the tuner market jumps in and gives us a nice gauge cluster for the hatch, since Toyota will never do it.
  • spud4uspud4u Member Posts: 2
    I searched the inventory of HB throughout the NW. I couldn't find the HB that I wanted. I ended up going to the nearest dealer with a hatch available to test drive. (Parker Toyota in Coeurdalene Id) The test was great. Nice car but not the options that I wanted. I wanted manual transmission which is difficult to find. I ordered the car with what I wanted Saturday April 1st. Dealer called yesterday and there is no HB that could be diverted to complete my order. The factory will have to build the car. I put $1000 down and the order has been placed.
    I am getting:
    Bayoo Blue, Power package for the seat mostly. Keyless entry for $13000 even. They came down a few hundred from retail price. Hope it doesn't take to long to arrive. 2 months is my guess.
    Will your car have alloys or no alloys?

I am trying to decide if I want to go the full power package with alloys, or just the convenience package and add alloys as an accessory (which is the expensive way to get a car with alloys). I am thinking the final price of those two options may actually be very similar.

I am not super thrilled about the power features, but I kinda like the idea of the fold-flat seat - I have yet to see it in action personally. It is clear that the one-piece seat is like hatchbacks from the 70s - it just sits at a 20-degree angle on top of the seat-bottom cushions when you put it down. Not flat at all.

If the liftback power package included the tach the way it does on automatic sedans, it would be a no-brainer.

No matter what, I would like the stock alloys.

but the Barcelona Red Yaris sedan at my dealer doesn't have them. I'd go to a wheel store and add nice rims ASAP after purchasing.

I noticed the base stereo package note again on the window sticker on the Yaris base sedan I like. It doesn't add dealer prep costs to that sticker. The sticker I'm talking about only adds $580 bucks or something like that so it isn't as irritating as some I've seen. I noticed something on the regular sticker about 4-speakers and no stereo head on the sticker and thought...great...getting wheels and a stereo, too! :mad:

Then I noticed over on the added options the AM/FM/CD player that is i-Pod ready, plays MP3's etc. is added as one of the power packages. This Barcelona Red sedan is loaded!

I know, nippononly, I'll need to move if I want that one. BTW-if Toyota brought over the 5-door hatchback I'd get one of those instead of the sedan.

A few more days to go 'till some days off and time to test drive.

Just heard on the radio that of all the cars and trucks out there the best built car out of all of them is the echo. By far the least problems with the car than any other over the last couple of years. Hope the yaris is even a step up from that.
  • bastidbastid Member Posts: 9
    ..... and I am so sorry to be included.
    Finally they are in NJ. the long awaited Yaris two doors hatchback. What a beauty!. I tried it last saturday at a delearship and what a disappointment for me, I could not fit in the driver seat. My head was touching the ceiling and my legs were too tight, it is only 40.3 inches leg room. I have to move the driver seat tracks back at least two inches. I am bringing this week a person that deals with this matter to see if it could be done before I buy the car.
    The car is a jewel, so cute. It was automatic with the "All weather package" and the "Convenience package"
    but the rear seat is not split, but falls complete and it looks flat,rear wiper and 15 inches tires . Price including delivery ( $ 580.00 ) total $ 3,170.00
    The colour was that deep blue, which I do not like, what I am looking for is the Meteorite gray which is coming this week. By the way I am 6'4" 240 pounds. Well I am only trying to be of help with the tall ones wishing to buy a Yaris Hatchback. The sedan ( I do not like it ) is 42.8 front leg room. They were there too, about 8 of them :sick:
  • mltomekmltomek Member Posts: 24
    God.....I am so fascinated with the little Yaris hatchback. I've waited a LONNNNNNG time for this car!! More than likely, I am going to have to order one as I am not seeing a FULLY loaded WHITE hatchback MANUAL. I decided I could live without the extra airbags....but why not get 'em--might actually be glad I got them one day. But I love my ABS

I have a question for you guys. Is the 2007 model been "de-bugged" through its first year in Japan? I trust Toyota, but I just want to be sure. Anybody waiting for a year or two because of this? Your opinions and facts are very much appreciated. Is the engine the exact same one used in the "ECHO" and the one in Japan? Looking to test drive one next week. And then its buy time (I HOPE!)if I like it as much as I think I will. This car is so damn cute :P
    I just priced out the Yaris 3-door and 4-door on toyota.com. What a joke. First, the only 3-door available in the Chicago Region is the automatic. Second, the 3-door is not available with ABS or side airbags. Third, a 3-door so equipped (stereo, 60/40 rear seat, no ABS, no side bags) is $13,830--or about the same price as a Versa 6-speed with ABS, side bags, cruise, CD stereo.

The 4-door was a little better. I could select from a 5-speed or an automatic. The 5-speed with ABS and power package--but no side airbags available--is $14,185, or $200 less than a Fit that has side bags and a lot more versatility. It's about $700 more than an Accent sedan (with ABS, side bags, alloys, and power package) after rebates.

I also noticed the 3-door is missing such niceties as a seat height adjuster.

I wonder if Toyota will sell a lot more of these than they did ECHOes. ECHOes didn't sell very well, and there was almost no competition back in those days. Now, there's a lot of competition in this class. I suppose some folks will buy a Yaris because it's a Toyota.
    I absolutely agree. Toyota should seriously look at selling a "premium" version of the Yaris with more standard features, an upgraded 1.5-liter I-4 engine, and the CVT automatic from the JDM Toyota Vitz--that right there could take away some Honda Fit sales.
    And what would this "premium" version cost? The Yaris is already priced up near Fit territory without the same level of equipment. I sure would not pay more for a Yaris than a Fit. Then we are getting into Corolla territory.
    Don't believe it for a second! That is the lesson I have learned concerning the Toyota build-your-own feature when it comes to the Yaris.

If I plug in my zip, I am in the same conundrum as you - no manual hatchbacks available. However, ALL I HAVE SEEN in my area is manual hatchbacks. No automatics at all.

And in fact, the majority of the cars I have seen so far have been unbuildable on the Toyota website. So I don't know what is going on there, but try doing on-line inventory searches of your local dealers instead. You will be surprised - whether or not the surprise is favorable remains to be seen.

I would also like to note that I have not yet seen ANY Yarii with the optional side airbags, and only one had ABS.

mltomek: yes, the engine in the Yaris is the same one they used in the Echo, which is also in the current Scion xA and xB. It is very solid, if reliability is what you're worried about.

foober: where did you hear that about the Echo? Just curious.

• john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    Keep in mind that up until one year ago, air conditioning was an option with a Toyota purchase. Every other car maker included air conditioning in the base price. What exactly is the difference between a hatchback Yaris and a Scion A? This seems to be General Motors marketing strategy all over again. Sell the Pontiac Firebird to old people (ie Yaris) and the Chevrolet Camaro (ie Scion A) to young people (basically the exact same car with a different badge). I appreciate the emphasis on small cars, but I don't know if Toyota is in a position to start double-dipping the market. In the latest Car & Driver, they rated the Yaris 4 out of 7 in the sub-compact market. That is the first time I haven't seen a Toyota in the top three. The Scion was not represented in the competition.
  • realeliterealelite Member Posts: 9
    That's right, toyota.com's configurator is a joke! It even offers a package that includes cruise control on Yaris hatchback automatic. We all know cruise is not available for hatchback (a major dissapointment for me...)