Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Driving Five

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2016 in Kia
Driving Five

Carpooling with five young adults is much different than driving a group of kindergarten babies.

Read the full story here

Comments

• throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Sort of like what happens when you load up an SUV or pickup. I'm sure the fuel mileage is affected too.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    When you put 600 pounds in a passenger car, you're going to notice a difference. If you're simply noticing a difference that's one thing. If you think the car is incapable carrying this load or unsafe, that's another thing.
  • miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    I load our Odyssey with 7 adults and I can't tell any significant difference...not enough to change the way I drive.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    276 HP V-6 should still feel responsive though and certainly braking should be more than enough to stop with a full load of teenagers. I'd understand maybe having 5 adults that weight 2x as much, plus loaded up with heavy cargo, but otherwise that would be pretty concerning just to have some 125 lb ladies in it.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Kind of cruel to make a 6-footer sit in the third row. Just sayin'...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2016
    Well, shotgun and the second row would limit your room with either the firewall or the console. With the aisle available, you can stretch your legs a bit between the second row captain's chairs from the back row.
  • bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    Kia makes it difficult to find curb weight and GVW, but if Edmunds is correct, maximum payload is 1671 lb. With driver and schoolbags you're probably still not breaking half that, but the distribution of weight, and its effect on the suspension geometry, do make a difference which can probably be felt around sharper corners, on rough pavement, and during braking.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    edited April 2016
    Large SUV's and minivans should come standard with automatic load leveling rear suspension. This is one thing I like about the full size GM SUV. It's no longer standard (except the top of the line trim) but it's included in the tow package which most of them are going to have at the dealer. Ever notice that you rarely see a Yukon or Suburban squatting no matter how loaded they are.