Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Duramax Fuel Mileage

Comments

• kbiggnkbiggn Posts: 2
    hay max , i have an 07 crew short box. and i am not getting any better millage than you i have 15000 on my truck and it had 25mil on it when i bought it. i have talked to some other duramax owners at the fuel pump and some say they are getting 20 plus after break in. i hope it changes soon , like you i drive 35 mils to work one way . and was thinking diesel was the way to go. then the oil co. raise the price per gal. on fuel . also at 15000 thou. my info center is telling me to replace the fuel filter . hell the filter alone is 35 bucks.
  • ANY BODY HAD ANY DURAMAX FUELINJECTOR PROBLEMS ON A 2006 -2500 HD HAD MINE REPLACED $15000 UNDER WARRANTY THERE COULD NOT FIND ANY GOOD REASON FOR IT
  • GETTING ABOUT 25 MILES AT SEALEVEL 55 MILES AN HRS, 4 INCH EXHAUST AND VOLENTE AIR INTAKE WITH SCOOP, WILL TRY AMSOIL OIL NEXT UDO
  • AT WHAT MILAGE DID YOU USE THE AMSOIL OIL AND DID IT GIVE BETTER MILAGE AND WHAT FUEL AND OIL FILTER ARE YOUR USING UDO
  • AT WHAT MILAGE DID YOU USE THE AMSOIL OIL AND DID IT GIVE BETTER MILAGE AND WHAT FUEL AND OIL FILTER ARE YOUR USING UDO
  • The owners manual gives a LOT of advice about buying fuel for your diesel. I recently filled up at a station that had a not so clean pump and nozzle and my fuel filter life percent has been dropping ever since at a faster rate than I have seen in the past. I also have seen advice about additives to the Ultra Low Sulfur fuel for lubrication of the whole fuel system. ULS diesel seems to run fine without any additve but the simple one of using a small amount of my unused but fresh clean engine oil seems to be the best. I have been doing that for the last year and have seen no ill effects on the engine or fuel system.
  • I have just got a 2007 chevy 2500 classic 4wd cc
    dealer filled it up, I did not reset fuel econ and it was 13.3 mpg / I drove total 475 miles @ 55/65/70 mph the DIC said I used 27.1 gallons and 17.9 mpg.
    When i filled up I put 24.1 gallons in tank to fill it up.
    Where did the other 3 gallons go???? you can't always believe the DIC. 19.7 mpg's first tank of fuel.
    Changed to oil to Delo 15-40 LE.
    I would like to change air, exhaust, whatever to get more MPG's if I find someone who has done it successfully.
  • I HAVE A 2006 DURAMAX HAD A BD EXHAUST INSTALLED AND A VOLANT AIR IN TAKE AND AIR SCOOP GETTING ABOUT 23 MILES TO THE GALLON AT SEALEVEL, TOWING A 5TH WHEEL ABOUT 15 MILES . AS I HAVE 15 000 MILES ON IT I WILL CHANGE TO AMSOIL OIL SOON BEEN USING ROTELLA T , MILAGE ARE AT 58 MILES AN HRS
  • I now have (11/07) about 16,500 miles on it and on our recent trip to Myrtle Bch I was getting about 12.7mpg on the flat land pulling the 12K camper. I thought that was good. I still have not driven it without a trailer of some kind. Around town its about 16mpg.
  • I have 8500 miles on my 2007 2500 4X4 and getting a consistant 15 mpg by the computer. This doesn't seem to vary towing my Airstream trailer or not. Since I'm new to the Duramax, is this mileage typical or should I be getting better? I hear others getting 19 mpg with the same truck. I try to keep my highway speed around 65-70 mph. If not typical then how do I get better mileage?
  • SWITCHING TO AMSOIL 15-40 GETTING ABOUT 1 MILE MORE A GAL , SMOOTHER RUNNING ALSO AT 55-58 MILES HRS AT SEA LEVEL, ALSO BYPASSFUELFILTER IS BEING INSTALLED , WATCH OUT FOR BAD DIESEL, VERY COSTLY , GM INSTALLED NEW INJECTORS $ 16 000 BUT WAS STILL UNDER WARRANTY :D
  • I have about 2200 miles on my new 07 2500HD 4x4, and only averaging around 13 MPG so far. Those are combined in town and highway miles driven at 65 to 75 MPH, and some small trailer towing. It's still increasing at each fuel-up, so I'm hoping it will reach a 17-20 MPG range when it's fully broken in.
  • After seeing your 13 mpg, I don't feel that bad! I also have a Trac-rack ladder rack with extension on my truck and wonder how much that effects mileage. Also how much of an improvement should I see after break in. By the way, how many miles should the break in period be? Good luck with yours....
  • About 100k on a 01 2500HD that I love. Would not start this morning at all.
    Yesterday morning it started and stalled and re-started fine. No other noticable indications prior to this event. Saturday after Thanksgiving, raining in Houston unable to get anybody to have a look until Monday. Any suggestions?
  • I just traded off my 99 2500 gaser for a used 05 2500HD with the Duramax. Can anyone provide some information to this diesel ignorant guy. Everyone says they love their Duramax, but I have a lot to learn. Definite dos and don'ts, things to watch for, fuels and additives, oils, etc. I also hear a lot about chip installation to improve performance and mileage but don't know what to believe. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all,
    Great48
    (for the 48 chev I'm rebuilding in my spare time)
  • Hello all....i am new to here but not new to diesel trucks....I have an 06 2500 dsl and think that i am having injector problems but not sure. the fuel mileage has dropped by about 4 mpg and the truck has 32500 miles on it. I was wondering how they figured out to replace your injectors? any info would be appreciated.
  • I have a 2003 Silveraldo Duramax and have recently experienced the not starting and it wasn't the battery or glow plugs. The not starting (it would crank but not turn over). Ended up having the Glow Plug module replaced.
  • rseeborseebo Posts: 12
    I too have an 05 Duramax, but not feeling the love for it. I have heard from other owners and mechanics that the 05 LLY motor is one of the worst that GM has come out with. I have had several problems, Turbo went out, rear seals went out and constant over heating when towing my toy hauler. Same issue, overheating, that all other people I speak to have and am now experiencing my speedometer not working. I have the Banks 6 gun w/speed loader and it and it runs well, just overheats. If you have allot of miles on it, I would suggest running whatever oil they have run. I wouldn't change to a synthetic. I get about 17 - 19 MPG on the HWY at 70 MPH not towing w/285 tires and 10 - 11 towing 10k toyhauler at 60 - 65 MPH.
  • First point to make is that if you look at the LACK of aerodynamics on the front of the truck and the fact that a LOT of air gets to flow under it then you have your answer to lower fuel mileage at 70mph or faster. In my Duramax I can hear the engine start to work harder as I pass through 57-58mph and a significant increase from 65-66 to 70. SO I cruise Interstate at 60-65, usually with cruise at 63-64 and get 22-24mpg depending on conditions. If I slow down on a state highway to 57-58 it goes up to over 25mpg. I DO NOT trust that dam computer and always calculate my own mileage which shows the computer to be off by as much as 5 mpg for city driving and 2-3mpg highway.
    Last point to make is that you have the wrong tires for the transmission programming. If you bought it this way you may need to find out if the computers were recalibrated for a larger tire BUT the largest GM calibrates for on a 3/4 ton is 265 and on a 1 ton 285. The computers CAN be set for your tire size on a 3/4 ton but you will have to find s dealer or other shop that will exceed GM reccomendations. Your problems are the biggest reasons GM did not recomend 285's or larger. I towed 12k travel trailer last year and averaged 12.5mpg on the whole 4000 mile trip but some of it was in mountains where it dropped to 8mpg. In the flatlands at interstate speeds I got 12 to 15 mpg depending on speed. Off the interstates I got 15 to 17 running 50 to 55mph. Pushing the brick that is our truck through the air gets harder over 50 mph.
  • nlccnlcc Posts: 1
    i just bought a 2002 2500HD ext cab 4X4 (227Km)with a Duramax and Allision tranny. Best mileage so far is13 Cdn gal highway empty at 60 mph 280 mile trip...worst was 6 kicking around the ranch and to town empty. New fuel and air filters..Truck is going back to the dealer tommorrow to try and find out whats wrong.