Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Duramax Fuel Mileage

Comments

• the_vfoxthe_vfox Posts: 1
    At 23k miles, I get 17-20 unloaded, 10 - 14 towing the 5th Wheel, depending on terrain headwind etc.

;)

2004 Duramax Silverado Crew Cab
  • gemini5362gemini5362 Posts: 17
    I have just purchased a 2005 HD 2500 Crew Cab Silverado it has the duramax diesel engine and 3.73 gears. I am getting 14 to 16 mpg on the interstate running about 75mpg. With the truck unloaded. Last weekend i was pulling a 16 ft flatbed trailer with less than 1000 pounds of furniture on it my mileage dropped down to 11 to 12 mpg is this normal for a new engine I have about 1000 miles on it. I have been told as the engine begins to break in I will see an increase in fuel mileage at what point should I start seeing an increase.
  • laser2laser2 Posts: 1
    I am in the process of ordering a 2005 Duramax and the dealer told me that the lowest rear axle ratio available is the 3.73....anyone know if this is true...??
  • chvylvrchvylvr Posts: 1
    I drive and 2001 2500hd with the duramax and I love This truck. Yes, I had the injector issue and GM promptly replaced then under warranty with the upgraded models. An aggravation yes, but the "quiet diesel" technology was new and things happen. The Allison transmission seems bulletproof as I have dragged a loaded horse trailer 25 miles with the trailer brakes locked up and didn't realize it till I stopped and saw the smoke from the wheels! I saw no increase in tranny temp! Fuel mileage is probably 17 in city and a stable 20 mpg on the hwy running 70-80 mphs. :)
  • honda929honda929 Posts: 10
    I HAVE A 2005 2500HD DURUMAX LB 4X4. WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT THE TRUCK I WAS GETTING AROUND 17MPH. NOW THE BEST I GET IS 13MPH. I KNOW THE 4X4 MAKES IT WORST. I WAS TALKING TO A GUY WITH THE SAME TRUCK WITHOUT 4X4 WHO GETS 17MPG. BUT I HAVE TO SAY ITS GREAT TO GET 13MPG WHEN YOUR TOWING A TOY BOX OUT TO THE DESERT. SINCE ITS NOT AN EVERYDAY DRIVER I DONT REALLY THINK ABOUT THE MILEAGE.
    DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT TIRES ON THE STOCK WHEEL. I HAVE A 2005 2500HD LB 4DOOR 4X4. I HAVE ALLOY WHEELS WITH THE STOCK TIRE. THE STOCK TIRES LOOK REALLY SMALL ON TRUCK. I DONT WANT TO LIFT IT OR PUT BIGGER RIMS ON IT. I WAS WANDERING IF YOU KNOW A GOOD ALL TERRAIN TIRE FOR THE STOCK RIMS. ONE MORE QUESTION OFF THE TIRE SUBJECT. I GO TO THE DESERT A LOT SO MY CABIN FILTER SMELLS LIKE DUST. BUT I CANT FIND WHERE IT IS. DO YOU KNOW WHERE AND HOW TO GET TO THE CABIN FILTER. THANKS.
    DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT TIRES ON THE STOCK WHEEL. I HAVE A 2005 2500HD LB 4DOOR 4X4. I HAVE ALLOY WHEELS WITH THE STOCK TIRE. THE STOCK TIRES LOOK REALLY SMALL ON TRUCK. I DONT WANT TO LIFT IT OR PUT BIGGER RIMS ON IT. I WAS WANDERING IF YOU KNOW A GOOD ALL TERRAIN TIRE FOR THE STOCK RIMS. ONE MORE QUESTION OFF THE TIRE SUBJECT. I GO TO THE DESERT A LOT SO MY CABIN FILTER SMELLS LIKE DUST. BUT I CANT FIND WHERE IT IS. DO YOU KNOW WHERE AND HOW TO GET TO THE CABIN FILTER. THANKS.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Hi honda929 and welcome to Edmunds!

Just as a matter of info, typing in all capital letters on tthe internet is difficult to read and in most circles is considered shouting. When posting, can you turn off your CapsLock? Thanks!

kcram - Pickups Host
  • roughneckroughneck Posts: 21
    I recently drove through a dealership and seen a 2004 gmc hd duramax extended cab. it had 285 on it. i looked to see if there was any tire rub on the frame or bumper and didnt see any. but i dont know if anything was done to the torsion bars. it doesn't look like it because it filled the wheelwells out (front and rear) real good. as far as fuel mileage i have been getting about 20-21 doing 70 or so at about 5,000 to 7,000 feet with 45,000 miles on the truck. the real ticket is to get an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed and plumb it into your regular fuel tank. with this i can easily go over 2000 miles before filling up. but i usually take out a small loan when that happens.
  • maxie05maxie05 Posts: 1
    I has a 2005 DURAMAX. I've done everything to it, AIRAID air filter, Edge Juice/Attitude and 4" stainless steel exhaust with a straight through muffler.
    My mileage has dropped, have I gone to far?
  • mnicholsmnichols Posts: 3
    Just purchased a 2005 Silverado 2500hd with the D-max. I traded in my Dodge 1500 with 4.7 v-8. The Dodge would "cry" every time I hooked up my travel trailer to it, but the chevy barely notices.... like a fly hitting the windshield of a mack truck, it just doesn't matter. I've been wanting to go diesel but the price kept me at bay until gm came out with the employee price incentive. With the that and a $3000 rebate, it turned a $43000 truck into a $33000 truck, I couldn't resist. It looks like i'm getting 17 mpg mixed highway and city with 2/3 of the miles coming from highway. I looked around and ford and dodge wouldn't match the price, only thing they could do was tell me how horrible gm was. Anyway, I got the W/T package and the factory had upgraded the seats to the cloth and put power windows and mirrors along with a few other touches.... I'm very happy with the d-max and would strongly recommend anyone interested in a diesel to buy now.
  • aarongdaarongd Posts: 8
    i also have a 2005 HD2500 4x4 with the duramax. i was told that it would get better as i also asked at 1000 mi. i now have 11,000 and still getting terrible mileage. i get around 13-15 city and highway. i also have 3.73 gears. not to happy about spending the extra $8,000 for the diesel for the economy when i could of got the 8.0 litre for substantially less with about the same mileage. let me know if you find a solution. by the way, i tried a K&N filter,it was a waste of money.
    read my posting #45
    read my posting # 45
  • 05duramax05duramax Posts: 10
    Just had my 05 2500HD Duramax for a week. Overall really like all the features and realize diesels are noisy, however there is an extremely high pitched whine it makes when you let off the accelerator at cruising speeds. Doesn't last long, but is really irritating. Anyone experiencing the same noise? Am getting about 18
    mpg so far and pretty pleased with that.
    i have the same thing on mine. originally i thought it was an issue,but i believe it ended up being the turbo winding down. normal operation.and yes, if you never had a diesel before, they take a little getting used to. you will notice other little things here and there that you aren't accustomed to. your lucky your getting 18mph. i am getting between 13-15 @ 65 mph.
    Thanks for letting me know it's just a normal characteristic of this engine. My driving is probably more at 55-60 so that's a definite factor. Overall I really like this truck and will like it even better when I get it equipped with a tool box and some other accessories. You're right about diesels just having some quirky characteristics. I hope at resale time it's worth the extra money I paid to get it.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    A reporter would like to interview diesel passenger car and pick-up owners and Southern California residents who'd like to buy a diesel passenger car but can't because new ones aren't sold in California. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Thursday, July 14, 2005 with your daytime contact info, vehicle year/make/model and city/state of residence, and put the word “diesel” in the subject line.
  • unklalunklal Posts: 2
    Just joined the forum, and I am getting exacly the same miles. Get about 10-12 pulling a 6200lb camper and right now back and forth to work is averaging about 17-18MPG. I was also told that after the engine broke in that it would do better for mileage. Had I know the mileage was going to be like this, probably would have purchased a gas engine for a chepaer price and cheaper price at the pump.
  • gemini5362gemini5362 Posts: 17
    Now that I have almost 3500 miles on my truck I am seeing between 16 and 17 but that is running at 75 to 80 miles an hour unloaded. I am very happy with my duramax the truck is fun to drive. I do have one other question about the truck. at 80+ miles per hour when driveing on a toll road in Oklahoma the truck seems to be very bouncy almost like the concrete divider sections of the road hit a resonant frequency for the springs. My brother in law who has an older duramax said his road badly till he went to a bigger tire (285x 16) mine rides fine on regular state paved highways it is just on the toll road I seem to notice this. At 75 mph (which I know is the speed limit the truck just likes to go faster than that) the vibration dies away to where it is almost not noticeable has anyone else had this problem.
  • opmechopmech Posts: 3
    I am getting 19-21 MPG 75-80 mph on the HW w camper shell and about 1/4 ton of gear. That is in mountains or out. I have almost 30K miles on it. Only had minor issues typical of GM, mostly fit & finish (trim, etc). Loaded and towing a 5,000 lb Travel Trailer it gets 10-15 mpg depending on terrain. Typically 10 mpg when driving from 1000 ft. elevation to 6,500 ft elevation. This is running 65-75 mph also (even up the mountains). In town I don't get less than 15 and usually get closer to 16mpg. Also, not meant to be a plug, but I have installed AMSOIL in place of all factory lubricants in the drive train. Also use the AMSOIL fuel additives and dual remote by-pass filtration unit along with the two-stage air filter.

Don't hammer me because I am telling you this, I don't care one way or the other what you guys get or what oil you use, just letting you know what is possible and what I did to achieve it. It isn't cheap to use these lubricants and filters but they do help with the fuel economy. If you would like more info, shoot me an email dave@azoil.com.

If anyone has any input or experience raising these trucks without the addition of a lift kit please let me know as well. Thanks, Dave.
  • tr4whtr4wh Posts: 1
    I just towed our fifth wheel with the 2500HD Duramax/Allison/4 x 4 truck. Overall average was about 10 mpg, mostly flat highway towing. Regarding the Allison, I find it rather strange that it stays in 4th gear up to 65mph, the rpm level finally forces the shift around 3000rpm. This is in tow/haul mode. I did notice a drop off in uphill speed, it dropped of more than I thought. It reminded me of my 2500 Ram with a Cummins. Does this seem normal or are there some issues? The truck is a 2002 model with 45k on it.

P.S Typical mileage empty is about 17mpg.
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 47
    Dave,
    I have had my 05 2500hd crew cab std bed 4x4 Duramax for 11 days now, and have switched out the pizza cutter 245/75/16's with BF Goodrich AT TA KO 285/75/16 which added about 2.5 inches. Also I added a leveling kit that lifted the front end up 2.5 inches, so that the top of the front wheel well matched the height of the rear. Overall the front has come up 5 inches, and the rear 2.5. It looks great! I did have to trim a very small amount of the front valence to keep tires from rubbing. Now that I have done that I am very happy. I have a friend with the exact same truck who put 295's on w/o the leveling kit, and he said his rub. Now that I have trimmed the front, I wished I had gone with the 305 or 315's because they are a little taller, and almost a full inch wider. FYI, the leveling kit was $275 installed.

I would like to hear some comments on some of these "programmers" or "chips" for the new 6.6 Duramax LLY (LLY = 8th digit in Vin is a "2"). I am not towing/hauling anything (except my own [non-permissible content removed]) and wondered if is worth the $400-$900? I am mainly concerened with increasing my fuel economy, but wouldn't be bothered with a little faster "off the line" reaction. I am concerened that I would need to worry about Exhaust Gas Temperatures, switching out exhaust systems to a wider diameter, installing a cold air intake system, digital in the cab monitors etc. Thanks in advance.

Stone G
    Maxie05,
    did you change tires to a larger size?
    If so, did you re-calibrate the tire size in the computer?
    If you didnt re-calibrate, your truck is registering fewer miles on it that you are actually going, therefore decreasing the number of miles per gallon.
    Stone,

Thanks for the info. What kind of leveling kit did you use? That sounds like a great price installed. Also, if you will send me a personal email I will send you contact info for one of my AMSOIL accounts that markets a programmer. I use it in my 2003 and I am happy with the results. I believe he will take care of you on the price as well.

Dave
    The brand, Im really not sure. I had it done at a place called Minco in Tallahassee, FL. All they did was change out the torsion bar keys. So far I have looked at the Superchips & Edge, but neither have one for the 05 6.6 Duramax with the LLY (LLY=8th digit in the VIN is a 2) that will recalibrate for larger tire sizes.
    Dave,
    I did see a leveling kit for an 05 2500HD on ebay for something like $40.00
    But it took Minco, something like 2.5-3.0 hours to install it, so in my opion it was $275 WELL spent.
    As of tomorrow I will have had my 05 2500HD Duramax for 2 weeks. Today I had the dealership recalibrate the computer for the 285/75's. The best mileage I have seen was 15.2 MPG on the 5.5 hour drive home from the dealership with the 245/75 doing 82 MPH (give me a break on the speeding thing, Hurricane Dennis was on my 6). I have been getting around 12.5 around town. I am not hauling anything, not even a toolbox (yet), and I am not getting on it (due to the low first gear sucking wind off the line). I am considering a chip or programmer, but am a little nervous about it. With the fuel ecomony and the off the line speed, it sure isnt my old Tacoma V6 anymore!
    Stone,

Thanks again, I will look for the kit on ebay. Also, give Roland Trudell a call at 951-272-9090. He owns Rolling Big Power, a Diesel performance aftermarket parts dealer. Tell him that his AMSOIL Dealer, David Daniels referred you to him and that I said he would take care of you. I use the RBP programer and it does have the tire size issue taken care of along with some other goodies. I am very happy with the one he sent me.

Dave
    I would like to know if all dealers can do this (recalibrate for different tire size) as the standard 245s are pretty
    lame looking. Can you get the 285s in blackwall? I'm not a big fan of raised
    white letters. Sure, I know you can turn them around, but are there any true
    blackwalls in that size/load capacity? Now have over 2,500 miles on my 2005
    2500 HD with Duramax and it's a great truck, overall, save for the look of the tires.
    Been a Ford man most of my life, but this Chevy is an extremely good truck.
    I saw an 06 Ford F-250 SuperDuty today with their 20" rims/tires and it looks very, very good. Don't need to have 20's on my Chevy, just something that fills the wheel wells better than the pizza cutters that came on it.