Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Duramax Fuel Mileage

Comments

• Pulled 6500lbs in the form of a classic truck across NC the other month with my dads 2005 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab 4x4. Averaged 16.3mpg!!! That is better than most folks say they get running clean with a Dodge or ford. That Duramax with the Allison 1000 tranny is a perfect marrage for pulling. We use the truck for pulling farm trailers and pulling maybe 4000lbs it averages about 18mpg! Running Clean at 55mph I have hit the 21mpg mark. Amazing for a truck 6000lbs. I dunno as I beleive that that Dodge gets 25 mpg at 70mph with the ac on. The Duramax won't so that makes me suspect about Cummins age old desighn.
  • I have 3500 miles on this regular cab that has the Allison. I am a very conservative driver and have always gotten better than average mpg. It runs great but its getting the same mileage as my old 454 but the fuel is higher priced.
  • donwydonwy Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 crew cab 3/4 ton HD with the Duramax and about 2400 miles on it. Living in Northern Canada, the temperature is cold this time of year but I am still getting 13.8 mpg (US gal.)on winter fuel when doing all city driving in heavy traffic and about 17 mpg on the highway with two passengers and no load. Sounds like you have a problem.
  • I would hope people realize the clever marketing behind all of those outrageous claims of increased fuel mileage from these fuel additives.

The last two links were two products that claim alot. Both sites spend as much time trying to get you to sell their product than use it. Come on people...putting a giant pill in your gas tank. Are you kidding me! The last one is talking about CNBC World Business Review with Alexander Haig. It is well known that production costs for WBR are paid for by the company that wants there product on air. Please save your money.

You want to save gas...drive down the freeway at 55mph and don't show off your trucks power at every intersection.

Smoke and Mirrors...Smoke and Mirrors. ;)
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Please do not post phone numbers or any other contact information... this is against the rules, and opens you up for abuse as well.

kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Help!
    @003 chevy 1 ton diesel dually - inside edge of inboard back tires are getting scalloped edge. ALL other tires are fine!

Whats going on?!!!!
    You want to post that question in the Chevy Silverado: Problems & Solutions discussion for better response.

kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have a 2005 2500HD with the duramax. I have 11000 miles on the engine. I recently pulled a 3000lb equipment trailer 440 miles and my mileage dropped to 9 mpg. The local dealer told me it could be the fuel filter. I need some help!
  • fredk2fredk2 Posts: 4
    Did you look at your air filter gauge. Try a different fuel station.
  • fredk2fredk2 Posts: 4
    I have just purchased a gmc extra cab 6ft bed 4x4 with the duramax and the auto trans 6 speed. and I check all fuel mpg on every truck I drive soon as I get fuel reset trip this truck gets 15.80 mpg I was told by people I see with same Truck they got around 20 mpg have to see if it will get better it only has 360mi right now and maybe has winter fuel. If anyone get better mpg please post and let us no spec. 2wheel or 4x4 3500 or 2500 thanks.
  • Hey clongwell,

At 55mph, you do conserve fuel. However, I think every person on this board laughed when they read your recommendation to drive that slow to save fuel. Conservation is one thing. Actually extending or increasing your MPG is even better!

I now get an extra 120 miles average per 13 gallon tank of fuel. Before it would cost me and additional $12 - $14 dollars to drive an extra 120 miles. Now I simply treat each new tank of fuel with 1oz of EnviroMax Plus!

You drive 55.....we'll still get their with more fuel in our tanks, a better running and performing vehicle, and a story to tell all the people who are not pleased when they pull their receipt off the gas pump after they get fuel!

The smoke in your mirrors is because you are not using EnviroMax Plus. The product reduces emmissions by as much as 80%. And, if you could drive faster than 55 - the smoke your vehicle is putting out would not be able to be seen in your mirror!

I have nearly 500 customers who order the product every month. Pretty strong testimony for a product that you say will not work.

SmartMPG.com
  • I recently purchased a 2001 silverado 2500HD 8.1 litre with an Allison. Pros cons, experiences?
    Since this discussion is specifically for Duramax fuel mileage questions, you probably want to ask over in Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra: Owber's hangout

kcram - Pickups Host

• Is anybody making biodiesel? If so, what does it do to your mileage, and how easy is it??
  • I have a 2001 Duramax, that I purchased in Dec. When I stop at lights or whatever, the motor will surge a little. Doesn't do it when driving. I know they will surge during warm-up from a start up. Any one have a solution for this problem?
  • I have 78k miles on mine. consistently 16.5-18.5 mpg.
    Hmmm? maybe I should also check the psi on my tires.
  • I have a 2004 GMC 2500HD 4x4 w/Duramax. I would like to know what brand of leveling kit you used on your truck, and did it alter the smooth original ride?
    Sincerely,
    AuctionMP
  • I have a 2005 chevy 2500 4X4 and I had a torsion bar key installed, it raised the front appox. 2.5" and did not appear to effect to original ride. It does allow for 285 75r16 tires without rubbing. There are a number of manufacturers you can choose from on ebay, cost about $100 with shipping. I had a tire place do mine, parts, install and front end alignment for $200.
  • I have a 2005 2500hd crew cab 4X4 duramax with 33,000 miles, 285 tires, K&N air filter, and Predator Downloader. I drive a lot of miles and use the economy mode on my downloader. I consistantly get 14.5 - 15.0 mpg in town and just recently got 19.2 mpg on a trip (full tank). I drove 75 mph most of the way and 30% 55-65mph. I have seen a considerable increase in fuel economy in the last 10,000 miles or so.
  • I bought a 2006 Duramax in Oct 2005. 4X4 Reg Cab. I have 3000 miles on it. Best I can tell I am getting abt 17.5 MPG highway driving [1500 to 1600 RPM] and abt 14.0 MPG pulling a 4500# 5th wheel.
    My average for 3000 Miles is 14.7 MPG with abt 2/3's pulling the light trailer. Some say it will go up at 10000 miles. True or False???
    Best I can tell the milage hasnt changed since the first tank.
    Can anyone point me to a 2nd fuel filter kit??? Seems I recall one that will mount on the engine near the right battery. Any help appreciated.