Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70 Convertible - 2006 and Newer

Comments

• flheatflheat Posts: 46
    I just got back from my test drive of the generic silver demo and found myself less than impressed. I currently have a 2003 Audi A4 cabriolet and made the following comparisons: Pro Volvo-comfortable seats, smooth lines, awesome dynaudio, the cornering was better than I expected (not as good as my Audi) um, that's it. Cons: lazy engine with turbo lag (keep in mind I am used to my 3 year old 178HP, and found better response). Terrible wheel noise (may be worse due to 18"), With the top up and down my Audi is surprising quieter. The engine has a soft pinging noise that I would have to get used to. I notice the steering wheel bobs all over the place with every little blemish in the pavement. With the top down I was aggravated with the rear seatbelts flapping, I pulled over and made sure they were in their clips, but still could hear them flapping. The fit and finish around the top to the body was mismatched. The black rubber did not match and already had embedded waterspots that we tried to wipe out. There is only one way to lower the top (I can also lower the top on my audi through the door lock). I thought all the lockable storage areas (glove box, side compartments locked when you locked the doors, but you have to lock the glove box to do this). I hated the finish of the headliner, it looked like tent canvas (my Audi is finished off nicer). The trunk with the topdown is essentially useless, I know I would be annoyed with the extra 20 seconds it would take to push the button to raise the panels in order to get access and then push the button again to lower--that just is not practical-and don't even think about getting the optional spare. Personally I did not like the high window sill (I like driving with the left arm on top of the door). I found the "garage door" on the cup holders to look out of place and cheap in the car. So with that, I rescinded my deposit that the dealer has had for 5 months. I have placed a deposit on a 2007 VW Eos. I test drove a Jetta with the same engine the Eos will have and I think this car will be more drivable for me than the Volvo. I also prefer the interior and prices are to come in 5-10K less than the Volvo. (I will have to get used to the exterior, but for me the drivability is more important) If I don't like the Eos, I will get the restyled 2007 Audi A4 Cabriolet. If only the Audi had Volvo's hardtop, my decision would have been easier. Good luck to all on your C70's, sorry I won't be part of this family.
  • biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    ...were much the same as mine. Car seemed much better on paper and in the pictures than it felt to drive.

I ended up with a red 350Z, and love it. Never thought I'd own a roadster, but one drive in it had me thinking; test drove the Volvo the next day, had much the same less-than-awed impressions that you had, went back to the Nissan the day after that and bought my fun-mobile.

Freedom of choice: what a great concept! ;-)
  • millenrmillenr Posts: 28
    I just test drove the demo C70 with leather, 18" wheels, upgrade audio. I have a C70, loaded (except for 18") for delivery in July - confirmed today. Anyway, my thoughts were similar to yours, but I liked the car. I am going to get a convertible with some room, which leaves me with either the C70 or the Saab 93 or Audi A4. The C70 has them beat on interior space. Next is noise level. I was disappointed in the amount of road noise with the top up, but I was comparing to what my wife normally drives - a Lexus GX470, which is probably not fair. Still better than the Jeep Cherokee that I drive and easy to carry on conversation. Next with the top down, windows up and cruising on interstate at 80 - not bad at all. Again, easy to carry on conversation without raising voice at all. The stereo system was outstanding in all situations. I have not had a small car to drive in some time, so it will take a while to get to not sitting up high. Not used to the small windows lower visibility, but with the top down, there is not an issue. The seats are really comfortable, better than I expected and the handling was good - so very comfortable drive.

For issues, I too was annoyed by the high door well - I could not put my arm on the door sill easily or comfortably. Thinking about it later, it would be a problem if the air bag was to suddenly pop in an accident and you had your arm on the door sill. The interior was sparse - nothing really fancy at all, but well done. While the front seats had very ample room, the back seat will still be a challenge for some. Seems the passenger front seat has a lot more room and the back seat passenger behind this person should be OK - but not the driver side.

Anyway, some good and some bad. Since I am determined to get my first convertible - this one fits the bill the best of the ones I have looked at and I can't wait.
  • empty1empty1 Posts: 109
    Does anyone have a confirmed idea when the 2007 (not 2006) models will be delivered in the States. I have heard everything from this July/August 2006 to January 2007 forward. Appreciate if someone has the inside scoop. :confuse:
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    I have the "inside scoop" and I don't have a confirmed date for 2007 cars.
    Figure the earliest is Sept.
    The 06's are coming in July and August.
    So late Sept to Oct is the most likely time.
  • klb1klb1 Posts: 3
    Well was at the dealer last week looking for my next Audi and the delivery truck drove up with a few new cars to include this lone Black C70 surprise for the dealer. Needless to say it drew my attention away from my Audi shopping. The dealer said as soon as he posts this C70 it will be gone. All that he has on order are already spoken for by customers and were months out from anymore deliveries and as for any others they are still few and far between getting many more coming in 2006. Well after the test drive I was sold. It truly is different than the Audi I must agree. Most definitely a different type of car and driving experience. It is noticeable looser, it has more road noise but the overall characteristics from the design, handling qualities, performance and ergonomics to include reliability and safety features combined into a very impressive package. As of this past monday I took delivery of that C70. Its black with the light cream leather. I am not a black car or a light color leather kind of person but I have to admit it does look very nice!!! After having about 150 miles on it here is the summary and again its consistent with some of the evaluations posted already.
    -The 2.5T engine is quiet and doesnt have quite the get up and go put it is very respective considering the cars weight and the 21/29 mpg.
    -It has torque steer and turbo lag but again weight of the car and mpg performance take your mind of the little things.
    - The 18 inch wheels and lower profile tires are sexy and it drives as if you were on rails on the smooth pavement but drive on an uneven interstate or rutted side street and you'll have both hands on the wheel keeping it tracking on your intended course.
    -The trunk has plenty of room for a convertible with the top up and with the top down and you can get one golf bag into that remaining 7 cubic feet.
    -The Dynaudio stereo is quite nice and very easy to operate. Sound quality very impressive.
    -The drivers cockpit is very ergonomic, seats very comfortable, interior is well laid out, simple, and the steering wheel very comfortable.
    - Console controls again very impressive and simple.
    -The hardtop is quite the engineering feat and looks nice from the inside and out.
    -Overall the look of the car in most impressive in person, the driving experience is different but with all the design features, and as mentioned performance and comfort and how about those looks !!!

As much as I like the Audi's I am very happy and impressed with everything about this car. Mind you yes it has noticeable differences that one could say are less of an attribute than what an Audi or another car offers but again I think the overall end product/system that Volvo has put together here in the C70 makes for a very impressive total package.

Volvo......Impressive Car!!!
    Is there a perfect car out there? I think Volvo came very close to answering that question with the C70.

For those of you that weren't as lucky as I and will have to wait for yours to be delivered.
    I think you will be happy, its worth the wait.!!!!
    Glad you're enjoying your new car. That's what it's all about!

Was this the dealer's would-be demo that he sold you? Odd that some dealers are selling their demos.
  • laxdadlaxdad Posts: 12
    Ordered a C70 in Nov 05. Loaded Silver/black. Delivery promises (March/April/May) have all been missed. Now the story is that orders with navigation system are on hold due to design issue. If don't build within 3 weeks then model year is over - and I am cancelling the order. Asked to delete option and build the car and was told order was locked and would then have to wait until October / November to get an 07. What a mess. Has Ford fingerprints all over. Has anyone on here taken delivery of a car with the navigation option?
    We have several C70's on order w/ Nav. No problems.

However, there never were ANY C70's available for delivery in the March/April/May period, except for the store demo's.

All the 06's were delayed.
    The earliest that customer cars should appear is June.
    If your dealer has a car ordered for you, he should be able to show you the CIS report, this will give the approx date of arrival.
  • millenrmillenr Posts: 28
    I test drove the demo 2 weeks ago and checked up on my order. It is also loaded with everything except the 18" wheels. I had the dealer show me the status on the computer and it showed delivery between June 30 and July 6. I could also not make any changes as it had started production already. The dealer told me the same thing on timing - plant shuts down in June to be retooled for 07 models and would start back up mid-August or early Sept. He would not place an order for an 07, since there was no delivery times set yet and he did not want to upset customers with an order without clear information on delivery. He expected 07's in Dec - Feb delivery; but that was just a guess. I check with him every 2 weeks to see the status or my 06 and it has not slipped estimated delivery in last 5 weeks.
    You should be fine.
    We have a car due at the same time.
    Your VIN should exist, this means the car is being built, or has already been built.
  • stanwictstanwict Posts: 60
    Auction ends May 3rd and current high bid is $43,100 as of this post which hasn't met the reserve price. You could hit the buy it now button and pay $65,000. I'll reserve my nasty comments about this dealer for doing what they are trying to do with this car.
  • burghburgh Posts: 17
    You have to give the dealer credit for creativity. It is a disservice to the dealer's local customers, but maybe no one in the area wanted to put down a deposit on an order. Maybe this dealer is stuck with more cars than customers.

I doubt that this is the case and the dealer will hopefully just learn from the negative feedback given by his local customers.
    Reserve not met. I was tempted. Would solve my delivery issue!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,606
    Heading south on Rte. 128 (I95) outside of Boston after work. Silver, nice. Don't like the satellite radio fin on the trunk, though. Top was up, raining cats/dogs. Much traffic, so hard to keep it in my line of sight. Maybe one of the Boston area demos?

They're out there...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• alp8alp8 Posts: 656
    Just an FYI, you said you want your first convertible, but it seems that you are only considering the C70 or the Saab 93 or Audi A4. If you are not anti-German, you should probably also consider the Sebring. I have not driven the C70 or the Saab 93 or Audi A4, but I would assume the Sebring is less of a "driver's car" than any of those. Then again, you can't compare any of your choices to a Porsche, eh?

It will be interesting to see how the C70 is received, and how it performs. I hope Volvo hits a home run with it. That's what's better for us, the consumers. Failures don't help any of us, even if we want to buy a different car. If Volvo fails, Audi has less incentive to succeed, etc.

you could also consider a two-year old BMW 3-series convert. (or a new one)
    What's your reasoning there about "if not anti-German, consider the Sebring?" I don't think the Daimler part of Daimler-Chrysler has much, if anything, to do with the Sebring.

If someone wants a Saab or Audi or the C70, frankly I doubt the Sebring would be very satisfactory. It's ok for a cruiser, but nowhere near the fun or luxury level of the other cars he's considering.

That said, a friend of mine has a Sebring that now has something like 120,000 miles on it. He's been happy with it.
    well, they don't call it Chrysler-Daimler, now, do they?

:-)

DC is about as much of an "American" car company as Toyota is.

I haven't driven the C70, but I've read a lot, and I dont' think it will be a better driving experience than a well-appointed Sebring. The Audi is reasonably fun to drive, but it is small (for me). I do like the Saab, but the interior needs an update. I don't think the Sebring is a bad deal.

of course, if we want to pick a convertibile based on driving, the 330 leads the way. That doesn't mean it's the best one for everybody, but from just the driving perspective, it leads.

They are all different - all good in their own way.

We win.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,216
    but it seems that you are only considering the C70 or the Saab 93 or Audi A4. If you are not anti-German,

pssssttt..... audi is german. pass it on.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• yankees338yankees338 Posts: 28
    Personally I prefer the Solara over a Sebring. It's more stylish both on the inside and out, and is bigger than any convertible out there, except possibly a Sebring.
    The C70 with it's convertible hard top makes it a fair comparsion to the new VW and existing (higher priced) Lexus and MB models. If Pontiac ever produces their G6 hardtop it should also be considered. Understand that BMW has a convertible hard top in the works.

This will be my first convertible and I only considered the purchase due to the hardtop feature. I don't think comparing the product to a "rag top" is a fair comparision for either product.
    oops - duh! (thanks)
    yes, good point - the Solara also has to be in the mix. I can't warm up to the style of it, however. I'd probably like it if I drove it.
    re the G6

It is being produced - they are being sold and delivered already. I saw one at my local Pontiac dealer, but was unable to take any time to look it over. I was rushing to get across the street to the Volvo dealer to peak at the c70. I like the look of the c70 - small and sporty, not a beast like the old c70. The jury is out until I've driven it, of course.

But how does one spend 40k on the c70, knowing you could get a sweetly-equipped Boxster for not a whole lot more coin?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,216
    But how does one spend 40k on the c70, knowing you could get a sweetly-equipped Boxster for not a whole lot more coin?

soft top vs. hard top
    2 seats vs. 4 seats
    I can't fit vs. I can fit

other than the fact that you can drop the top, the 2 don't compare.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

If it has to be a hard-top for you, then you're right.

I thought I would fall in love with the C70, for many of the same reasons you and others have mentioned - hard top, lots of luxury features, small enough but still can seat four, etc.

But after driving it, my response was more like "eh..." instead of "wow!" I ended up with a Nissan 350Z, which won for kicks and grins, and also felt very secure on the road. (Important to me, and I wasn't sure that a roadster would feel that solid. It did.)

This is also my first convertible, and I'm loving it. While it wouldn't appear to be a direct competitor to the C70, as it is a very different type of car, it fit the bill for me.

Getting back to the Solara vs. the Sebring, I also test drove the Solara and hated it. The fiddly convertible top cover would drive me nuts (you have to lean over the side of the car and mess around with a little plastic holder thing to attach the tonneau cover), and then the driving experience just didn't do anything for me.

With convertibles, you can slice and dice the comparisons in many different ways. Four seaters: Solara, Sebring, C70, VW Beetle, Audi. Fun to drive: Porsche, Boxster, Nissan, BMW. Less than $40k: Solara, Sebring, sometimes the 350Z, depending on equipment, etc. Hard-tops... well, you get the idea. You can mix and match to suit your preferences.

It's important to test-drive from as many groups as meet your priorities. You might be surprised what you end up liking and buying.
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,006
    What do you mean by not a beast like the old c70? :confuse:
    larger

didn't mean it "negatively"
    yes, yes, true true

I start thinking I can make do with a roadster, then I get practical and want 4 seats, then I get really practical and want 4 doors....and then all hell breaks loose.
    I completly understand cross-shopping the Z with the C70, though it can be argued that the driver who prefers the Z is not the intended driver of the C70 (and perhaps vice-versa). They are very different droptops, intended for very different audiences.

I have cross-shopped many "different" vehicles. Sometimes even a coupe is in the mix with a convertible.

another car to add in this mix: a used Lexus sc430, eh?
This discussion has been closed.