Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70 Convertible - 2006 and Newer

Comments

• biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    picking a Z over the C70 because of the driving experience is one thing - completely valid. Picking a Z over a C70 because of storage limitations is just lame and not rational.

I think you're missing my larger point. As Volvomax said (although reversing my priorities), I bought the Z MAINLY because of the more fun driving experience, and secondarily because of the great deal I got on it.

The storage space was a consideration, of course, and I found it *sufficient* in the Z to meet my needs. It wasn't the primary reason, just a supporting factor. Had it been *not* sufficient, I would have continued looking for something else. It was secondary to the "wow, this is a blast to drive!" reaction, though.

Also, I want to be clear I'm not dissing the C70 at all. It's a beautiful car. Someone asked up above what people thought about the interior. I liked that it wasn't all tarted up with wood grain this and that - the interior struck me as attractive, and well laid out for the most part. One little thing I noticed was that with the location of the ignition high on the stalk, my hand struck the windshield wiper control button when I was trying to turn the ignition off. I guess an owner would get used to it but I'll bet a lot of people will brush that windshield wiper control when inserting or taking out the ignition key.

But that's minor. Overall I thought the interior was well done. People who buy the C70 for reasons that fit their own lives I'm sure will be happy with it. I was surprised that it just didn't spark that "wow, gotta have it!" reaction in me, since I'd been waiting for it to come out for more than a year, since I first sat in the (old) C70 at the Washington car show.

But, you know, that's life. If you've ever fallen in love with someone totally unexpectedly - well, that's just the joy of living, some emotions just can't be predicted!
  • alp8alp8 Posts: 656
    wait a sec - now you are comparing your Z purchase to falling in love with someone unexpectedly?

Good thing you didn't drive a Porsche or a Z4. You'd be pregnant with twins by now.

;)

(If you are gonna fallin love with a roadster, then fall in love with one that is "worth it.")

(I'm not saying it is not a good car for the money)
  • agarretttxagarretttx Posts: 8
    I have had my C70 for a few weeks now. I am still loving it. The brake/gas pedal closeness is probably my only concern (a lot of times I drive barefoot because shoe gets in the way). I still have some manual reading to do though - lots of things I still haven't figured out how to do.
    I do find it funny that biancar still hangs out in a volvo discussion bragging on a 350Z - sounds sometime like you are trying to convince yourself that a Z is better than a C.
  • burghburgh Posts: 17
    I have a litte bit of envy as I am looking forward to mine getting delivered. I have been thinking about the brake pedal issue and is the actual pedal part removable from the brake pedal arm?

If so then a simple modification to the pedal attachment or a different (possibly custom pedal) could solve all issues?

What color did you get?

p.s. Good point about this being a C70 forum and not something else.
  • flheatflheat Posts: 46
    The purpose of this forum is to share information and ideas. I, like biancar, invested 9 months and put a deposit down on a car that I fell in love with its looks but sadly, drove like a slug. People are coming here for information. Maybe Volvo will provide a better engine in the future and improve the handling and I can consider it in the future. Once I test drive my Eos, I can provide feedback on the competition that is out there--information that other potention C70 buyers can use.
  • alp8alp8 Posts: 656
    and information is power
  • blamb3blamb3 Posts: 41
    The accelerator and brake are close together on my Saab, I'm wondering if their placement is the same as on the Volvo or if the placement is even closer on the Volvo? The only time the close placement is an issue on my Saab is winter time when I have found wearing winter boots a safety hazard - otherwise no problem.

I'm also curious about the wide variance in opinions on the C70 ride and handling. I would hope that most individuals were not expecting the Volvo C70 to handle like a sports car. Common sense would tell you that the car would be less fast than the previous C70 - same engne more weight.

As for turbo lag I would expect a LITTLE on any turbo engine, to me that's a small trade off for better gas mileage. I haven't yet had a C70 to drive but my guess is I'll be thrilled - but my expectation is that I'll be driving a competent cruiser not a sports car. I have a friend who drives an 04 C70, reviews indicate that this is an awful car with terrible cowl shake - my friend thinks it's a great car. I know it's all in the eye of the beholder but my guess is that the individuals who don't like the new C 70 were expecting a BMW in Volvo clothing.
  • flheatflheat Posts: 46
    Blamb3, I think you hit the nail on the head for me. When I put my deposit down on the C70, I was expecting the performance of at least my 3 year old 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Cabriolet in Volvo Clothing, and that did not happen. If Volvo wants part of this niche market, it has to be able to run with the boys. There is no reason it should not be able to catch up with competitor's technology in 3 years--or surpass. Turbo lag in my Audi is minimal and with the 2.0T due this fall in both the A4 Cab and the Eos, the germans have made another leap.
  • mitchs5mitchs5 Posts: 8
    I took a C70 for a spin last week. Very comfortable, though I felt a bit underpowered. I currently am driving an 02 BMW 330i, and will wait for the new BMW 328 retractable hardtop, which likely will have more power and probable not cost much more. Also all the dealer had was an automatic C70, and not 6 speed manual, so that might make some difference. The Dynaudio sounded great, but $1500 is a steep price to pay for an upgraded sound system for a convertible. Has anyone heard the standard sound system in this car?
  • heymjoheymjo Posts: 8
    I see references to other manufacturers coming out with hard top convertibles. Does anyone know when BMW will be introducing theirs? Is it this coming year or is it years down the road?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Well, we got our first 6spd in.
    What a difference a tranny makes!
    The car is much more lively with the manual gearbox.
    The shifter is a little rubbery, but the car is much more responsive.
    Too bad that not many people have opted for this setup.
    Get a 6spd, w/ fatter sway bars and a 1" drop and you would have one bad a$$ ride!
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 999
    What's the regular road clearance of the new C70? I can't imagine dropping my 99 an inch and having a drivable car, especially with potholes and speedbumps, and the concrete barriers in parking lots. Goldie, already has more than enough scrapes on her front air dam. :sick:
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Clearance is 5.5"

The C70 nose is pretty high for a Volvo.
    The engineers put a black deflector under the front end to divert airflow.
  • yankees338yankees338 Posts: 28
    What's the deal with ones on order with navigation systems? I've been hearing they are delayed. Anyone have any input on adding a non-volvo installed navigation system? Is it worth the extra money to have one that matches the "decor" of the interior. Usually, don't you pay more for a less intuitive system?

We have an Acura MDX with a navigation system and we've gotten plenty of use out of it. That cost us $2000 though; aren't most servicable after-market systems under $1000? I doubt anyone has put one into a New C70.
    Yes, there are many aftermarket units for well less than $1k. My Gsrmin C320 was @400. Check out models from Garmin, Tom Tom, and Magellan. They also make models for over $1k. Also check the Aftermarket/Accessories Board.
  • laxdadlaxdad Posts: 12
    I posted the original note and based on other posts I am not sure if I was given a story to justify a missed delivery promise. I can tell you that I now have a VIN and that the car is on a boat to the U.S.

I ordered the NAV since I have one in my XC90T6 and have been very happy with it. Also have a GMC Denali and the Volvo NAV is easier to use and more precise than the GMC model.

I thought a moment about an aftermarket system but decided that I would be more comfortable with a standard unit. Would hate to leave the top down and return to the car with the GPS unit removed!
  • laxdad.
    i'm assuming you are in los angeles as well... would you mind sharing which dealer you are working with.. culver city, santa monica or irvine/orange county? we have similar situations and we ordered about the same time (Oct/Nov timeframe)... i think our color choices are the only difference. I have yet to receive a VIN, but will be calling dealer today to check in.
    Good news that it's on the boat! True, about potential theft. The Garmin manual even mentions to not leave the unit visible when out of the car. Maybe, those five lockable compartments will come in handy. My 1st gen just has the glove box....and the trunk. The big plus is being able to move it to another car, or when traveling, a rental.
  • Glad yours is on a boat... I called dealer today and was told my delivery is now "scheduled for mid- to late July, but may come sooner." There is apparantly a VIN number for the car. So, from mid-March to April to June to July... nearly 1 full year since placing a deposit... actually, if July is accurate it will have been nine months - almost like a pregnancy with nearly as much anticipation.
  • biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    Hopefully with not as many birth pangs! Ouch... :surprise: