Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• I am buying an Xb tomorrow and I am wondering if I should purchase Gap insurance, any opinions to share on this topic would be appreciated.
  • aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    Most people also like to lower the car with shorter, stiffer springs with less travel, for that complete buckboard ride ;-)

Like you, I have stock wheels and tires and added a strut bar and sway bar. I must say the sway bar makes a big difference in cornering, eliminating lean and oversteer so that the car corners like a go-cart. However, the strut bar makes no difference that I can feel. The strut bar also prevents changing the air filter or changing the brake fluid, and I plan to remove and sell it at 15K miles.

I went to the Scion Exposed event last weekend at the Mid-Ohio track:
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/vintagefortytwo/Scion%20Exposed%2006/10Tr- ackfromInsidejpg.jpg

We got to do some fast laps, and the stock tires did put a limit on the cornering. They began to howl and felt like they were going to roll under and come off the wheels. But in hard cornering on public roads, they do fine.
  • I bought a 2006 Xb in December and have been seeing an honest 34mpg no matter where I drive. I'm another old fart who bought the kid's offering from Scion, so I don't race the thing. I bought because I have to use my car in my job (a lot). Being reimbursed at 46.5 cents per mile makes the purchase way easy. Everyone who rides in it is amazed at the interior room. I claim that it is a Tardis (Dr. Who fans know), Bigger on the inside than on the outside. I love it. The one problem is that the rear groung effects plastic below the bumper keeps coming loose. On my next oilchange, Toyota will hear of this. My advice: Drive easy (even if you hate to do it) for 1 week and then check your mileage. Hope you have many happy years with DA BOX.
  • Dave,

How did it work in the Minnesota snow?

Thannks,

Bubba
    The rear bumper skirt has either a loose or missing fastener. Look under there and see what the story is. You may be able to snap it back, or order the fastener if its missing. If you wait until the oil change, and the fastener is not loose but missing, the dealer may have to order it and you will have to go back again.

I got a 2006 xB with manual transmission last March. Like you I get 34 mpg all the time in mixed driving around town, by driving easy like you. Last weekend I drove from Louisville to Cleveland and back, 275 miles each way. Got 37 mpg going up on 2-lane US 42 at 55-60 mph, and 42 mpg coming back on I-71 at 60 mph.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,403
    I don't see the wisdom of the 18" wheels either. The stock wheels are kind of plain and uninteresting, so possibly people want to dress the car up, but 15" or 16" alloys should be plenty.

Not only will 18" wheels worsen the ride quality but they will rob power from a car that doesn't have too much to begin with.

Best thing for an xA or xB would be just to get better tires with stiffer sidewalls, once your OEM tires wear out.

I like the looks of my stock 15" wheels with 10-spoke covers. Those 18" wheels are fitted with low-profile tires so the overall diameter is not increased as much as it sounds.

My manual transmission xB is geared for power and revs too high on the highway, and I like a soft ride, so I will replace the present 185/60R15 Goodyear Eagle LS tires with the same tires in 195/65R15 (fatter and taller).
    That'll give you 5% error. When your speedo reads 60 mph you'll actually be going 63.1 mph. A 205 55 15 would be almost perfect.

Sounds pretty wide. Will there be enough clearance in sharp turns and bumps?
    There's quite a bit of room under there. You could always ask the shop to mount one tire while your car is on the rack and check it all out for clearance and to make sure your rim will hold it. A good tire shop will know this.

• scatsscats Posts: 11
    hi my name is frank just purchased a 2006 scion xb love it
  • boyceboyce Bossier City, La.Posts: 48
    I've been reading you comments throughout the xb discussions. I'm considering an xb for my next vehicle. What rpm are you experiencing at 70 mph? Do you consider this excessive? I don't like to hear an engine sound like its ready to start throwing parts through the hood when I'm cruising the interstates. Any comments from you or others about this would be appreciated. Thanks

2012 Mazda 3 Skyactive 6spd. auto 2008 Mazda Tribute S 4spd auto.

• Hello
    Im Brian I just bought a Brand new 2007 Scion TC Silver 5spd
    just wanted to say whats up.
  • i test drove an xB this summer. after reading so many times about the engine being loud at 60 mph and feeling it was about to explode, well I was paying attention!! ;) and after driving it at 70 mph + it was fine IMO. ok, it doesn.t purr like a sport car but i was not worried about it. my husband, (he is a mechanic BTW) said it was normal for this car and that would not keep him from getting it.
    also, i might add that it went to 50-60 mph pretty fast, without me noticing it. very roomy and confortable to drive. when u sit in it, it feel like a big SUV inside !!! :) the only thing i dont like about the scion is their color choices...they are kinda boring..i would like to see brighter colors.
    Thank you for the feedback. I have not tried an Xb yet but was not sure if I could stand hearing the engine wound up on the highway. I had a car like that once and I got rid of it for that reason. (that was an 88 Mazda 323 stripper with a four speed.) What does the abbreviation IMO stand for? Please excuse my lack of knowledge for computer shorthand. Thank you for your reply! Bud

I.M.O. = In My Opinion

I,M.H.O. = In My Humble Opinion

• no problem!

it all comes down to what you NEED. the xB has room to spare, is cheap on gas, has an excellent resale value and is made by toyota but you wont be drag racing anywhere but in your driveway ;)
    from what i read online, i'd say that xb owners are pleased with it and are praising it.
    i drove both tranny and logically, the stick one had more pep but the auto was very pleasant.
    go try one, this car has a lot to offer!
  • "... What rpm are you experiencing at 70 mph? Do you consider this excessive? I don't like to hear an engine sound like its ready to start throwing parts through the hood when I'm cruising the interstates...."

Sorry, did not get back to this thread. For a manual transmission in 5th gear, divide the mph by 2 to get the rpm. So 70 mph is 3500 rpm. The automatic turns about 500 rpm less at 70 mph.

What does excessive mean? The 5-speed ratios are optimized for the use anticipated. If 5th gear was 500 rpm less at 70, the car would be a little under-geared like the automatic, and less peppy. If a 6th gear was added, it would only be good for cruising on level ground, and would add greatly to the cost of the car. If you want lower-rpm cruising, with less noise and more mpg, get the automatic. But it is not as lively a car to drive.

If excessive means bad for the engine, the xB engine with its variable valve timing is made for high rpms. It is redlined at 6500 rpm, yet is the size of several motorcycle engines that redline at 9000 rpm. An xB tech manual says the xB's max sustained cruising speed is 90 mph, with a top speed of 103 mph. So 3500 rpm at 70 mph is nothing for the engine.
    Thank you for your reply. Yes you nailed it, when an engine is turning high revs, I do worry about abusing it. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Going to do test drive tomorrow. Thanks again, Bud

• As the proud owner of an 2006 Scion Xb, I highly
    recommend your getting one. If you don't need a rear spoiler
    and other pretty but unnecessary things, get the basic auto tranny model which is $15,440.00 + tax, etc.
    How good is it......let me put it this way...my wife wants mine and I'm looking forward to the 2007 model to come out
    or...even better....in the spring they'll be coming out with a T2B model which is really neat.
    Go for it!!!!