Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with any particular brand of roof racks for the Scion xB. (Although after reading about windshield issues and body stress, maybe it's not a good idea.)
  • I don't see a connection between the windshield problem and a roof rack. No connection has been reported.
    The good racks put their weight on the strong sides of the roof, are not rated for more than about 150 lbs, which is only 35 lbs per attachment point.
    Check out the Yakima racks and accessories for the xB at http://www.yakima.com/ and order what you want from http://www.rackwarehouse.com/.
  • Thanks Allen, for your advice, as well as the lead on where to buy.
    Ternt
  • My wife has an 07MY tC and the hood prop rattles since the plastic clip is loose.
  • Everyone knows the Scion experience is you make a Scion your own by adding Accessories to the base car. But, be warned, if you ever have a problem with an “Accessory”, you will run into the most bizarre warranty issue I ever saw. I had a rattle, which was diagnosed by a Scion Dealer as a bad security system install job by the Scion dealer I bought the car from, and he wouldn’t fix it. I was told to bring it back to the dealer who installed it! After complaining to Scion Corp about it I got the following official response. -- "Dealerships are independently owned franchises who will warrant Scion supplied accessories that become necessary due to a manufacturers defect. However, they are not required to warrant another dealerships work. If you are experiencing concerns on your dealership installed alarm, I would recommend taking your vehicle to the dealership where you had the alarm installed.. ." Unlike a Toyota where you get factory options delivered with your new car, Scion makes you have a lame dealer install them. Then you can end up arguing with the dealer service manager about who did what if you have another dealer install any accessories.

– Wake up Scion! – I’ve already sold my Scion if you didn’t guess.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,564
    Actually (don't kill the messenger) I think that's a pretty fair response from Scion. The factory didn't install it, the dealer did and should stand behind his work.

However, as a good will gesture I think the other dealer should have fixed it, since it was a factory accessory and not (I presume) an aftermarket product like a Viper system, etc.

The fixing dealer could probably have wrangled a good-will adjustment from Scion.

But if Scion intended to stiff the fixing dealer, or if you couldn't get back to the original dealer, then there's not much to be done but eat it and pay the other dealer to repair it.

• It’s just stupid. When a customer buys a brand new factory fresh car from any dealer in today’s market the customer expects the (Scion) equipment delivered with that car to be covered under the same warranty. I don’t care who installed it wrong – an idiot in the assembly line in Japan, or an idiot dealer in the USA – that’s Scion’s issue, not mine. Check out the Mazda 3 brochure for their warranty. Dealer installed Mazda accessories delivered with your new car are covered by the same 4 year warranty as the rest of the car. Everyone I’ve told this story to has the same opinion, it’s stupid. Asking customers to “police” Scion’s poor dealer service workmanship issue is stupid marketing. And, it must happen a lot, or Scion wouldn’t be so hard-nosed about it.
    The problem is you are asking one dealer to warranty another's dealers labor. Dealers aren't like Best Buy, etc....they are franchisees. Let's say you bought Goodyears tires and Goodyear shop A bent your alloy wheel when putting the tire on. Since it's not the tire but the workmanship that is at fault, another Goodyear dealer isn't going to fix it for free, and Goodyear isn't going to pay for it.

Now if the PART were defective and not the installation, that might be a different story---then you'd get the part replaced for free but the 2nd dealer would probably still charge you for the labor.

Maybe you can work out some kind of 50-50 split and just get past this problem by compromise? Hope so. Good luck with it.

• dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    I am looking for something like H&A in the Honda world. A Scion dealer that sells online for a nice discount and has the install instructions (PDFs, usually) online as well.

The idea is that BEFORE you order you see how much trouble it is to install the item. Maybe that dealer installed price is not so high after all?

AllScion has some good prices and some instructions, but they do not sell OEM stuff.

Thanks,
    Dennis
  • How much did you sell your scion for?
  • lbuerolbuero Posts: 1
    Well i have a 06 TC auto. I am am looking for a body kit. i did a little research so far and i so far o heard not to go through Krazy kustomz online. Does anyone else have any thoughts of who to go through or not?????
  • I could not figure out how to post a new question, so I will start here. Does anyone else have the interior neon light kit installed in a Tc. We do and we have a question.
  • My daughter just bought a 07 Tc, we had the dealer install the neon light kit, which lights up the floor and the cup holders, we feel sure that it is not installed properly as the light tubes are mounted below the dash panels, very , very easy to hit with your toe. in all of the catalogue pics, you can not see the tubes, they are up under the dash, but ours are hanging down way to :sick: low...if any one else has these...How are your mounted???

and to top it off, we had not even taken delivery of the car yet, and the installing mechanic banged the door into the rack and put a dent in the door!!! we were sick.http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxi- cons/emotorcons/emo_sick.gif
  • My 06 has 5800 mi on it. Right now, the only add-on is an aftermarket armrest I installed. I am planning on an extra dome light with map readers. The interior light is weak and over the rear seat! My CAI is in the box, but warranty prevents me from installing it(hydro-lock). I do plan on getting an aftermarket hitch for a bike carrier I already own. Does anybody know if that will void my factory warranty? Also, I pulled the rear wiper off and plugged the hole, but I want a cleaner look with out bodywork done. The hole has a valve guide grommet which looks almost as tacky as the wiper itself, but keeps the rain out.(Thunder Cloud Metallic paint and dark black rubber grommet which sits recessed).
    thanks
  • I have the interior lights in my 07 TC and they are mounted the same way, zip-tied onto the bottom of the dash. I bought mine around thanksgiving and I cant count how many times someone has hit them with their foot getting in or out of the car and they were just hanging there. Luckily they slide right back in place.
  • I checked with Scion about the lights and they said the lights should not be visable, they should be up under the dash. I have to go back to the dealer and they are going to remount the lights. it means another trip to the dealer for the day for the repair, but i have to do it BEFORE the lights get broken from a foot. i think it's a real shame that the dealership could not do it right the first time. other than that my daughter loves the car, i have the civic ex but i really like the scion too
  • I was thinking of upgrading and was wondering of a shop (i'm in CA) that may do a good job with fair prices.
    You can order them from TireRack and have them drop shipped to a local installer. On the TireRack page they have an installer look up by ZIP code with prices and even user reviews.

Dennis
  • jmachadojmachado Posts: 1
    I am owned by a 2006 XB,I added 18" wheels,the only problem
    we had was with the "shipping hooks"( not sure what they are called)where the car is hooked/secured when it is shipped.
    My husband found he could grind off the hooks,then sealed the area ground down with primer/no-rust paint,repained this area.
    Don't know if you'd have this with 17" wheels(?) there WAS a slight rubbing when turned tight with the 18" but easy to fix.
  • subout00subout00 Posts: 5
    Hi,

Has anyone has someone else install a security system besides a dealer. Does this cause warranty problems?
    If you get it done properly by a good installer, you should have no problems. AFAIK none of the Scions has any type of "pass key" or "security key" system so you can get a remote starter (if you have an auto tranny) install along with the alarm for not much extra.

Dennis
    HI,

Does anyone have either or both. I have a dog, would the liner be more beneficial. Any suggestions on a good place to buy tc accessories?
    Definitely the liner if it goes up the sides. Your dog will destroy the side panels if he puts his paws up to look out. They scratch really easily on my Scion. The mat doesn't protect the sides.

Thanks. That's what I thought. Any ideas on where to order one besides the dealer. I can find the cargo mat, but not the liner?
    You have a tC, right?

Places like:

http://www.trdsparks.com

http://scionpartspeople.com/

http://www.irontoad.com/t_home.htm

http://www.toyotaparts4u.com

All sell Scion OEM accessories and parts at a discount. I got some stuff from Scionpartspeople a while back - they were the cheapest including shipping for what I wanted.

Here is the liner for $71.50 plus shipping

I am not sure it covers the sides - you might call to ask. It covers the backs of the folded rear seats.

Dennis
  • andeetandeet Posts: 142
    Man! I could of took my old xA's cargo liner before giving the dealer the car. I could of used it in the new tC. What a waste of $100.00's since CarMax threw it out. It wasn't in the xA when I stopped and visit the car when they were reselling it.
  • i put 17's on and dont have a problem and 18's will mess up ur speedo
  • i have an 06 scion xb and i love it.
    i just put a cold air intake and an exhaust on it and freed up a lot of power. also my 17 inch wheels are amazing. i looking for a turbo and headers right now. then im puting a new system in.
    Don't put on a turbo until your warranty expires, or you'll lose it.

This discussion has been closed.