Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• stang04stang04 Posts: 3
    stole a 2004 gt blk on blk leather 5spd for 20k new never titled.they wanted it off the lot because of the '05 coming out. I am 52 and i feel like a kid again. lol
  • stang04stang04 Posts: 3
    get a gt you will not be sorry trust me
  • That is a great buy, but personally I think the 2005 is a significantly evolved vehicle compared to the SN95. I looked at a 2004, but I didn't have a visceral response to its interior, exterior, or performance like the new style. Still I know many Stang lovers that prefer the older to the newer. Different strokes for different folks!
  • For those wondering if you can get the '06 mustang below MSRP it can be done. I ordered a GT coupe manual redfire ext, char. int w/ IUP and leather-tr. seats on August 5th, and I was able to convince my dealer into letting me use the X-plan, saving about 1900 from the MSRP. He also gave me a priority of 10, and he must have had great allocation because I called up today and the build date is scheduled for the Aug. 29th already ( I was pretty horrified by the tales of 4-6month waits on this board :-/ !). CANT wait for my gt, I live in Wash. DC and I've only seen 3-4 new models on the road so far---the mustang looks amazing in action. I'm picking out songs for my first cruising CD as we speak... ;-)
  • I placed and order for a 2006 GT Convertible, on July 15th in Maryland (the closest dealer in NoVA i could get to take xplan. I was wondering if anyone had any idea when I could expect to hear a production date, since my rep at the dealer has no idea. I also was able to get the dealer to agree to give me the order on x-plan, but the order was written up as MSRP and I was assured that once the invoice comes in with the car then the x-plan will be taken care of. Does this sound alright to everyone? and what should I expect the x-plan price to be, I got a 2006 order prices but the invoice seemed alot lower than the example x-plan invoices I have seen on the web. Any ideas would be appreciated. Its good to hear youll be gettin your mustang soon, i hope mines not far behind
  • cgalencgalen Posts: 6
    Curious about which dealer you used?
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,308
    Dealer should have given you a VOC (Vehicle Order Confirmation) that shows the exact car you ordered with the exact options. It will also show the MSRP as well as the X plan price.

The dealer knows this when they order it.

Ask to get the VOC, first.

You also want the DORA (off the top of my head, I can't remember what the letters mean, but your dealer knows). The DORA tells you the terms of the x-plan deal, the exact car you ordered and the price the dealer agreed to sell it for. They can also add dealer installed options to it.

Personally, I worked only from the VOC for my x-plan deal, but I made sure the dealer's GM and I both signed it with the terms of the deal spelled out. The DORA is a more formal agreement, though.

Without either the VOC (and ther terms spelled out on it with signatures) and/or the DORA, you really have nothing binding with the dealer that will hold them to the deal you cut with them on the order.

Not saying your dealer will back out of the deal, but I've heard horror stories about dealers promising one thing when you order and conveniently forgetting about the terms when the car comes in. I've even heard of dealers taking an ordered car and selling it to someone else because they were able to sell it for more money.

The Mustang GT is a "hot" car. It's been "hot" for the last 10 months and doesn't look like the sales pace is slowing one bit for the '06 models. MSRP and above has generally been the going rate for the car. Make sure you've got your ducks in a row to get what you want at the price agreed on so neither you, nor the dealer misinterpret anything when it's time to take delivery.

Hope this helps.
  • The dealership I went to was Koons in Rockville, very nice salesmen, very upfront once we settled on x-plan. I was in and out of there in 20 minutes.

Graphicsguy, Thanks for advice. I realize now I only have the VOC, so I'm gonna go ahead and get the DORA as soon as possible. I dont anticipate any problems, but why take the chance.

Vnova,My X-plan price for the gt coupe was 25,058 including dest. and del., and msrp was 26980, so you should see somewhere around that same discount. you definitely should already know what price you will pay since you already ordered. Good luck, hope your car comes soon too!
  • This option is NOT listed under "build your own" on the Ford web site. Is however, listed in Edmunds. Anyone know if it is available now and is it true that ALL of the fall/spring production Mustangs are already SOLD? THANKS.
  • It wasnt easy.I argued a bit for it, using some logic that I was only gonna order it using xplan, and he'd still make SOME money off me. That wasnt flying too well so I finally just broke down and cried. Then he gave it to me. J/K lol
    I'm really not sure to the WHY he decided to do it (I think the final thing I said before he gave it to me was "Well I dont even know WHY they even HAVE and X-plan if I cant use it!). I know it helps dealer allocation the more they order and sell right away, but other than that I'm real thankful for the deal. It will take some convincing but I hope he does the same for you. Dont think I can post the name here, but I'll message it to ya.
    18" wheels/tires on currently on hold.

Can't answer your question about the allocations for Fall and Spring being sold out, but it wouldn't surprise me.

The last time I checked with my dealer about a month ago, he had already sold out of his '06 Mustang GT allotment through January. By now, it might even be February. He's telling people who order now that the very earliest they can expect the car is in late April on into May.
  • Regarding Ford's site, I played with it from about mid november '04 and saw that they were very slow to update with new options. The convertible option on the "build your own" showed up about 45 days after the official introduction. Ford.com, you listening?
  • Thanks for the response. Looks like you are right on the money !!! Dealer just told me yesterday that my mustang should be here the 29th of Aug. exactly three weeks after the production date. Getting excited !!
  • achaseachase Posts: 4
    how did it go, liangyyq?

i just sent out e mails to about 6 dealers in SoCal on the V6 manual, like you. first to respond via e mail offered below MSRP, and said that was a "conservative" discount." that indicates I could get to invoice or close to it, I assume.

But that was just my first dip in the water.

is invoice becoming a norm on the V6s? or is that just wishful thinking?
  • Ive been tryin to find all the information I was told to get. I talked to my dealer and they said they would send me my VOC in the mail. The other information I have gotten is that I am a priority 10, theres one order ahead of mine at the dealer. But they dont seem to know the allocation or build date for my car yet. I asked for the dealer code and they gave me some weird number that isnt even the right number of digits. Does anyone know how I can find out the dealer code without gettin it from my dealer, so i can check my order directly. I placed my order 7/15/05, for a 06 vert manuel with the avail 18" wheels, does it seem odd that I still dont have a build date?
    Don't know how far you live from your dealership, but if you're relatively close, I'd just go pick up your VOC from the dealer. The VOC will have your dealer code on it. Priority 10 is good. The dealership should know what their allotment is, however.

I think the 18" wheels are still on production hold. That's what could be holding up getting a production date.
  • Picked up my mustang today. Redfire, black top, red seats with charcoal trim, extras !
    Listed for 34,290 and paid 31,570 with the xplzn but had already negotiated 31,740 so great price either way. Ordered 6/6/05 recieved 8/25/05. And it is beautiful and a great car !!!!
  • huck1huck1 Posts: 9
    Codey,
    Enjoy your new vert - sounds like your buying experience was quite positive.
    Would you mind posting dealer info, I would really appreciate it as I'm trying to track down virtually the same car as yourself though maybe in silver.
    Many thanks, in advance.
  • stumpstump Posts: 1
    Bought my loaded out Black GT Convt Saturday. Paid 31000. MSRP 34000 Shaker 1000 Leather interior upgrade, antilock brakes - if there was an option I didn't get, then I didn't know it existed

I think i made out very well considering what i have seen on here
  • tinycadontinycadon Posts: 287
    how did you get it for 3k below msrp? where did you buy it?
    That deal is right at or a little below invoice. Can you give the details of the deal (MSRP?, '05? '06? options? dealer name? any dealer add-ons? financing details?).
  • Hi,
    Iam Planning to buy a v6 premium ,can you give me some info on the best dealers that can negotiate on price.

regards
    shalu
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    Hi shalu,
    You need to let us know in which part of the country you're shopping in order for members to make recommendations.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Hi,

Iam shopping in MA,NJ,PA.Hope some of the nicest people can guide me to the right dealer and the right sales person.

Regards
    Shalu.
    shalu....are you looking for an '05 or '06? What options are you looking for?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    Since we don't allow info about specific salespeople, you'll have to rely on graphicguy and others just to steer you toward the right dealership.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Hi ,

Thanks for your response Kirstie_h , I am looking for an 05 or 06 mustang , with options like Shaker Audio , ABS traction control , Interior Upgrade , Exterior Sports Appearance package , Interior Color accent (red leather bucket seats- If possible )- this is an optional thing though .

I am looking for a black mustang, with Dark charcoal ( or preferable red leather bucket seats ).

If anyone could gimme the dealers names I would be happy.

Thankyou

Regards
    Shalu
    shalu...thanks, that helps. So what you're looking for is one pretty well all loaded up. There's good news and there's bad news. The bad news is about every '05 GT is sold. You might find a dealer here or there that has an '05 sitting on their lot from a customer order that was cancelled. Don't count on that, though.

You can go a couple of different ways. The first is to comb the dealers lots around your area (Ford WEB site is the best way to search inventory) to see if any of them have what you're looking for on their lot (probably not). The easiest way to get what you want is to order one from a local dealer. You just have to be patient. It may take 2-3 months to get one (maybe even longer). The Mustang GT is a "hot commodity". It's been that way since they hit the showrooms almost a year ago. It doesn't look like it's letting up any, either (my dealer is sold out of his '06 GT allotment through January).

If you know of anyone who works for Ford or one of their suppliers, you want to get cozy with them to give you an "X-Plan" PIN number. That would allow you to buy a Mustang GT at near invoice. Don't count on that either, though. Again, the car is "hot" and dealers don't have to offer any sort of discount plan since it's totally voluntary.

Let's say you're looking for an '06 GT. You want a "Premium" model since you're looking for the Shaker stereo and other goodies. We've got the IUP and ICAP options. I'll assume you're looking for a manual transmission.

MSRP would be $27,640. Be prepared to pay that amount as that's what the market is on these cars. Confirm the pricing via Edmunds pricing guides.

It won't hurt to ask for $500 off MSRP, but again, don't be offended if the dealer refuses.

If you're not in a hurry, wait until winter hits and there's snow on the ground. That's how I bought mine at the X-plan price. Dealership was totally empty of customers and the dealer was willing to order at X-plan. I couldn't make that same deal today even if I bought the entire dealership a month's supply of Krispy Kremes.

Post back and let us know if you're ordering. There are some things you'll probably want to know to make sure you......#1 get your car....and....#2 get exactly what you ordered.

Good Luck!!!!!
    shalu....just realized you're looking for a V6, not a GT. I didn't realize that until I looked at the entire thread. I just looked at the title.

A V6 changes things. For one, there should be plenty of '05 V6s left.

Taking a look at pricing, what you're looking at for MSRP for a premium is $22,165. I'd shoot for $21,500. I'd make the deal somewhere between $21,500 and $21,750 with IUP and ICAP. Can't help you with specific dealers, but visit 2-3 and shop at the one you're most comfortable with. Let us know how it goes.
  • Hi,

Thanks for your prompt response I realy appreciate your attitude.I spoke with a couple of dealers and here is the deals that they gave me for a v6 premium coupe black.2005 and 2006.
    1) 2005 v6 premium :MSRP IS $24,880 which includes auto transmission,shekar 1000,anti theft,ABS & Traction control,IUP,Exterior sports package.

This deal including taxes negotiated to $25,000
    Missing Items : leather upgrade

2) 2006 v6 premium :MSRP 24,120 which includes auto transmission,v6 pony package,ABS & Traction,leather ugrade.(shekar 500 is standard in 2006).

This deal including taxes will be $25,200
    Missing items : anti theft

In this Scenario iam quite confused on which is a good deal to go for 2005 or 2006 with respect to the quotes i got and why.I dont have too many priorities after this deals i guess.
    Either one of them will be ok for me ,but I would like to get advice form you wise people on which is a better dael to opt for.
    If not a better deal what is the price that I should bargain for.

Your advice will give me some confidence.

Regards
    Krishna