Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kbtkbt Posts: 27
    I say rent a garage for a month if you can't find a family member or friend to help you out.

I found a self-storage place that has inside garages available (vs. on the grounds spots). The franchise closest to my office runs around $325 for a month; going to the one about 5 miles away is $170 ... which do you think I'm going with? LOL! Not like I'm going back and forth much. The car is having one bit of warranty work done on a leaking seal, and I pick it up today, then over to the body shop, then off to storage until Christmas eve.

Although a friend did say I could put it in her garage and I may take her up on that. I just have this horrible vision of it getting accidentally scratched or something dropped on it if it's staying where there are people out and about. Which yes, will happen after it comes to our house, but it would be nice to have it show up Christmas day still looking great.
  • jrentjrent Posts: 15
    Could you tell me what XPLAN and Priority 10 are? I hate to approach a dealer wihtout knowing the various pricing options.. I had a local dealer (So. Cal.) fax me a copy of a window sticker and their price was $1,000 over MSRP !
  • What do you think I recently got a priority number of 45? On a 2006 Mustang GT convertable. After reading your post I hope I have nothing to be worried about. Thanks
  • What do you think I recently got a priority number of 45? On a 2006 Mustang GT convertable. After reading your post I hope I have nothing to be worried about. I just got my dora today and will confirm with the dealer tomarrow. They are telling me 90 days it what it should take to get me the car. According to the dealership they sold plenty of Mustangs and Mustang GT's to have a larger amount or allocation for this year. I have agreed to pay $34,000 which is $15 under MSRP. But my big question is if a Priority number of 45 is a good number with a high percentage that the car will be built in 90 days or close to that and is it possible for that priority number to change either way. Thanks for the info.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,138
    krauger....ask your dealer how many orders are in front of yours. 90-days isn't out of the realm of possibility given it's within the 8-12 week window you should be looking for.

If there are no orders in front of yours, then insist on a priority 10. IF there are orders in front of you, then the dealership would probably list them as (first to last) 10-20-30-40.....etc. It will depend on their allotment, also. Ask them if they can accomodate your order with their allotment in the next 30-days.
  • Thanks for the quick reply, I am going today to ok the Dora and will ask if they can give me a higher priortiy number. According to the dealership I have the first order in and they say they have one of the best allotments in the valley. I will post back with what info. I get today. Again thanks for the informative post.
  • Could you tell me what XPLAN and Priority 10 are?

I think the priority part has been answered, but basically the lower the priority, the faster you will get your automobile.

X-Plan is a pricing plan for employees of Ford business partners (e.g. major oil companies). It ends up being around 1% below invoice. If you do a Google on Ford X-Plan, you should be able to find a list of companies that qualify. Info on your company's code would likely be available from HR, company employee organizations, or even an internal website. I/We can't help you beyond that, because every company is different. (e.g. I have to go through an employee organization because HR and the internal website don't give the code because it's a Ford initative, rather than a company initative.)
  • I just got e-mail from a dealer in Pittsburgh,PA. They will take $1000 off MRSP with their ad. They had 2 Red 1 Black and one White all GT's. They sold me mine for my x-plan price. (I work for a Ford supplier). Check out the lots. Vista Blue :D
  • Man oh man, I would never ever buy a car sight unseen over the internet.

I would also never buy a car from someone who wasn't local, especially someone in another state. What recourse would you have if there are problems, fraud, a lemon, etc.?
  • I picked up my 06 GT last night here in phoenix. Hopefully I got a great deal on my fire red GT. Paid 1000 under msrp for my dream car. Was this a good deal or am I just to excited to thick otherwise.
  • Hey everyone, so here's a follow-up after my original nightmare experience. I just picked up my '06 v-6 convertible this past weekend! Black w/black top, charcoal leather interior, pony package, interior upgrade, & side airbags: $26,290 + ttl which is below invoice! I actually went back to the dealer I initially dealth with. Turns out the owner fired the two sales idiots I dealt with originally as there were many complaints against them. We spoke as I was getting quotes from other dealers in the area & to make up for my trouble & to keep my business he went under invoice which was classy on his part to say the least. I got $8k on my trade of a '01 VW Beetle (Blue book $8500) towards it as well. Overall, I think I just got lucky but am real happy w/my ride! Took a mini road trip 90 mins outside of LA to visit my inlaws in the inland empire on a beautifully gorgeous sunny day yesterday w/the top down - words cannot express how awesome that was!
    I did find about 3 dealers in the greater LA County area willing to honor x-plan which was a little surprising but then again I wasn't looking for a GT & did all my negotiating online & over the phone. Still, I think if you're willing to talk to a few different dealers & have them compete against each other you might be able to score a pretty good deal.....
  • auto or manual?
  • Auto. Unfortunately, for some weird reason, you can't get the pony package on a manual transmission Mustang.... :confuse:
  • I'm considering the exact same car vs. the coupe, which is about $4500 less. I can get either at invoice. I can't decide if a convertible is worth the extra $4500. I know it really comes down to personal preference, but any little bit may help me. What made you decide on the convertible? Had you owned one before? (I haven't). Can you give me your impressions of the pros and cons of a convertible? Thanks.
  • Sure thing rmack. Basically, as a kid in high school back about 12 yrs ago, I was a big fan of the classic convertible look & always wanted a convertible. I initially bought an '03 mustang convertible, charcoal grey, a couple of years ago before my wife & I had our 1st kid. Unfortunately, I only got enjoy it for about a year as it got wrecked by a drunk driver on Easter Sunday last year. By that time, my son had been born & was 4 months old. We needed a family car since our only other car at the time was an '01 VW Beetle so we bought an SUV. My wife, bless her soul, has been telling me ever since that I really need a replacement as that was "my" car & she really felt bad that it got wrecked given how much I loved that car. The truth is she loved riding in it just as much as I loved driving it. Anyway, we were in a position where we could afford another car & so we went for it.
    I haven't owned one long enough to tell you the long term cons of a convertible. I would imagine the biggest concern being something going wrong with the top. Ford offers an extended service agreement which covers the top for 6 years so that might be an option. But normal maintenance isn't much different. I get it washed the same as I would a hard top. I live in LA so it doesn't get too cold & it doesn't snow here so other than rain, there isn't much to prevent you from driving with the top down. The only other real downfall is I've got shoulder length hair which can get can get a little knotted if I'm driving w/the top down on the freeway or at high speeds. But driving it is tons of fun & to me, more than makes up for any of that. There's nothing quite like the sense of freedom I get driving with the top down. I guess in the end it really does comes down to personal preference & what makes sense for you, where you live, etc. If you haven't driven one I would recommend you go for a test drive & compare. I don't know if that helps or not - I hope it does. Hopefully, someone else can chime in here w/their experiences. Please, let us know how you make out!
  • Something to consider about a convertible is that there's a whole lot more road noise, especially at higher speeds. The other is the added safety of steel over your head in a rollover. Me, personally, I can't stand all that wind and noise, which on long trips gets really old fast. But then, the new Pony looks great in a convertible, if looks (and being seen) is important to you.
  • I just ordered a Pony Package Mustang with a 5 speed last week.

Am I going to get a notice saying that Ford wont build it??

Whats the deal with the 5 speed and the Pony Package?? Anyone know the REAL DEAL??

I know that I havent seen any 5 speed Ponies on the lots I have been on, but why wont they even build one??

Thanks!
  • kbtkbt Posts: 27
    I would imagine the biggest concern being something going wrong with the top.

When my husband had his convertible he used to always leave it unlocked. I asked him why and he said if people were going to break in, he'd prefer they not cut the top in the process. So everything of any value went in the trunk and the doors weren't locked. Sure enough, the only time it was broken into, they destroyed the ignition but the top was fine.

Unfortunately, the car did need a new top (can't remember why, but this was around the 10 year mark) and we replaced it. Wasn't 6 months later when the engine block cracked and he never drove that car again.
  • As a '05 GT convertible owner, I have to say that the road noise with the top down is not bad until you hit 80 or so, then it gets pretty harsh. I doubt that many convertible buyers are all that concerned about top down noise, but I was pleasantly surprised that you could hold a conversation in one at 50-60 MPH at normal volume levels. Top up driving is only slightly noisier than the hardtop GT's I test drove.
    I have taken trips to the mountains, beach, and a road trip from NC to NYC a few weeks ago, and I'll trade the slightly elevated noise for the opportunity for topless diving any day. And yeah, it looks great too!
    No one ever buys a convertible because it's practical. For that matter, what in the world is practical about the Mustang in general? However, the fun quotient trumps all! :shades: :shades: :shades:
  • I just bought a V6 convertible, 2005. A stripped premium, 5spd, windveil blue w/ parchment int. I live in central Fla.

(speaking in round #s)

MSRP $25,900
    Paid 24,300 ($200 over invoice incl. delivery) +
    $400 in dealer fee = $24,700 OTD.

If you don't mind color, I've seen as low as $21K for deluxe 2005 verts advertised. They all seem to be selling for invoice or just above. I was given about $1K over what my trade was worth, so I have to imagine they are being thrown some discount $$ to clear out the '05s. I was told $2K over MSRP for a GT :0

Let me know if anyone has questions on my dealer/purchase experience.

Car is beautiful, drives like butter. V6 sounds like a V8. Great stereo (shaker 500). Can't believe how inexpensive this car is given the apparent quality of the ride.

Best of luck to everyone.
  • Hey Graphic Guy...well, I'm being told delivery of my Torch Red 2006 GT is between Dec.3-10...! Yippee! Let's hope its true! Going tomorrow to get the trade value of my 96 stang...I've spent all afternoon researching thru NADA, Kelley and Edmunds for trade, sell and retail values. I really hope I get a good trade price so I don't have the hassle of selling myself, although I do have one guy I work with who's very interested. My only fear is selling it to him, knowing him, my luck having something go wrong with the car. It's been good to me anyway. At 46,000 miles I can't imagine what could go wrong, but it is 10 years old. I've seen several people within websites who've owned that year having intake manifold problems, since they are plastic, and them cracking, that seems to be the major issue with that year. Knock on wood, I've not had that issue. So that will be my big decision, trade or sell myself now. Of course I'd love to see it still parked in the parking lot where I work everyday!
    I'm getting excited knowing after a year, I'm finally going to see my new ride. Dang. I'll let ya know when it finally gets here! Of course, it's now December and the weather in WI is getting crummy...just hope there isn't 6 inches of snow on the ground the day I get to drive it home. Gonna have our local Ziebart guy do a good rust proofing package for me, I know him, and he'll do a good job for me. SO....wish me luck...
    Have you got your new ride yet? Last you wrote you had narrowed it down and had a bunch of dealers after you...I'm also going to check out the site you sent me on trade value - thanks for that!! Take care.... :D
  • Hmmm... that's real interesting yannick. If I were you, I'd ask for the VOC on your order if you haven't done so already.
    I tried early on to get a manual transmission w/a pony package & everyone I talked to said it couldn't be done. I'd double check on that with your dealer if I were you...
  • I totally have to agree with you on being able to hold a conversation w/the top down. At 80 mphs it does get a little harder. I can't say that there is much difference to me in wind noise with the top up though. Top down, to me though, is definitely the way to go!
  • Posted this on the problems board; figured I'd try here as well.

I've read several articles that say the V6 Pony Package includes upgraded stabilizer bars to improve handling to be more GT-like. However, I cannot find this info in any official Ford brochure or on the Ford website. In fact, the website's description of the Pony Package mentions nothing about the sway bars. Has this upgrade been confirmed by Ford? If so, where? I'm not sure I'd get the Pony Package unless I know with certainty that this stabilizer bar upgrade is true.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,138
    Purple....GREAT NEWS!

Go over to the Real World Trade-in Values thread and ask rroyce (Terry) what you're trade is worth. He's usually "spot on".

I'm not a fan of Ziebart, or any rust/finish protection. Mostly, manufacturers warn against extra rust/finish protection since they usually cause more problems than they solve. Plus, your Mustang uses galvanized steel which won't rust (unless damaged).

Good luck!
  • Hey rmack. I posted a response for you at the other thread but I'll put it here too. I just got my 06 V6 with pony package last week and it does have front & rear stabalizers. I also got to test drive one w/out the pony package & one with & you can tell the difference as to which has the GT suspension & which doesn't. The suspension, stabilizers, & bigger tires really do make a differnce & help make the car feel more "grounded"....
  • Can the front and rear stabilizers be seen easily? What should I look for (I want to verify they exist on a V6 Im looking at). Thanks.
  • I have heard that Ford wont build a Pony with a 5 speed but I went to ebay and saw some for sale.

I still havent heard anything from Ford (ordered one about 2 weeks ago) ...

Whats a VOC?

I am hoping that I can get the car I want.

WHY wouldnt Ford build a Pony Package with the 5 speed? WHY?? What would the logic be??
  • Hey yannick...saw the ebay listing & don't know what to say. It's interesting to say the least. I don't know why I was told differently when I was trying to order a v6 pony package with manual transmission. I also tried that "build your own car" feature & on Ford's website & it wouldn't let me do it. I'm a little bummed if that isn't the case since I had to get an auto trans... On a brighter side, the car is still a fun ride even with an auto trans so although I would've preferred manual, auto is still ok & my wife feels more comfortable driving it than a manual.
    To answer your question about the VOC - it's a vehicle order confirmation sheet. Graphicguy has covered it before on this thread but basically it details, item by item, all the features & options (i.e. which tires, type of seats, type of stereo, etc.)of the car you ordered & it should list a priority code as well. The priority code is usually indicative how long it'll take to get your vehicle built & delivered. Priority 10 is pretty good. That's what I had & got my mustang in 6 weeks. Not every dealer will just offer up a copy of the VOC to so you should take the initiative & ask for a copy. It ensures that your car was ordered from Ford.