Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• citystangcitystang Member Posts: 6
    We are buying an 04 stang from another state. I am able to purchase it on a D-plan. (Daddy works for Ford). $15,400 for an automatic silver coupe deluxe with leather seats, moon roof, tinted windows, sport appearance package, interior upgrade package. We haven't even seen the car. We will get the car Monday.
  • hellasmoothhellasmooth Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I was wondering if you could tell me what a A-plan is.
    Thanks
  • citystangcitystang Member Posts: 6
    The A Plan is a unique purchase program allowing Ford Motor Company employees and their families tremendous savings on the purchase of a new Ford vehicle! As an employee, you not only receive a great deal on your new vehicle purchase or lease, but you also benefit with special services, discounts, and rebates available to you.

There are also a few other plans, D plan, X plan and Z plan. If you are interested in finding out more about these plans. Just try a search for Ford A plan and see what you find.

Hope this helped
  • 1panky1panky Member Posts: 34
    This weekend my brother and I visited a local "high-volume" Ford dealer in Maryland to see the new Mustang up-close. Had about 16 in-stock and one black GT already purchased by one of their salesman. Mark-ups on standard models are 2K and 4K for the GT if you can find one. They did deliver one convertible that morning I was hoping to see but, it was already off the lot. I believe it is quite a mark-up for a regular production vehicle. Saleswoman told me there is no problem obtaining a test drive from their dealership but she was not having a stampede for these non-GT models with their 2K mark-ups. I can see why many potential Ford customers are opting to purchase other manufacturers vehicles who provide your choice of options ready to go on the lot vehicle and actual rebates. Although we both like the new Mustang and were seriously considering a purchase soon, we are not willing to pay these premium mark-up prices for a non-exclusive, production model. Too bad, I guess Ford does not need our 55K-plus combined business.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    "Too bad, I guess Ford does not need our 55K-plus combined business."

I understand your concern but as hot as the Mustang is now why would they want to sell it to you for less than the next person (which will probably be in the same day).
    JB, in reponse to your message, my coments were targeted at what I characterize as a "fool-hardy" approach in servicing an interested customer. In my visit to the dealer as noted in my earlier message, the saleswoman informed me that no customers were beating her door to purchase the standard model Mustang as noted by the number on the lot. She said those customers who visit and are interested in the basic models soon leave after seeing the mark-up. It didn't help her reach her monthly quota. In my opinion, a mark-up is certainly justified for a "Bullet" or Roush model that is provided in limited numbers but not justified for the basic model relegating a salesperson to yawning in a chair on a Saturday morning. It is a poor marketing strategy on the manufacturers part that may well be reflected to their bottom line. Customers today are more aware of what is available in the marketplace. A new model "craze" is brief and forgotten by the public at the next model year. Ford's competitors are providing an array of vehicles that are more advanced than the Mustang at comparable prices made less expensive still by manufacturers incentives. Ford should follow their 1965 game-book by flooding the market with Mustangs at a good price. At this late date, the new Mustang should be all over the roads and not relegated to the one or two you spy at a distance. Unfortunately, the present marketing strategy appears to aid the individual dealership at the expense to the company. The line of thought in creating product shortages, and justifying mark-ups on the basic models is in my opinion a marketing 101 failing grade. The new Mustang is a product with a nostalgic angle for us baby boomers but not a limited "gotta-have" choice for today's consumers.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Well, unless people have really short memories, they can recall the ads for Stangs in the $15k to $17k range for brand new '04 V6 models. Fair value for the '05 should then be somewhere in the $18k to $20 range no doubt. You can buy an all wheel drive Subaru Legacy for around $22k, so how can the price a Mustang V6 at the same or higher? It is a fine car in many ways, with basic technology, fun to drive, and good looks, but a solid axle car with an OK basic V6 engine and is worth what they normally have sold it for-that is to say retail, less a couple to three thousand. I would wait for the discounts to start a few months down the road, or just buy one used. I am thinking of possibly getting an '03 V8. You can save a bundle over paying $25k to $29k for the new ones.
    Yes, I have to agree with you m1miata. My wife purchased a new 2004 GT premium last October for well below the sticker including rebates. It is a shame that Ford finally has a mass-produced vehicle that produces some excitement for the average Joe who remembers the 65 experience and then reverts to the mark-up mania usually reserved for truly "got-to-have" vehicles like the Ford GT. There are few of us who can see one of these beauties much less sit in one. Oh well, maybe in the spring or during the 06 model year the market may return the base Mustang to a more realistic price structure. Hopefully, customers who were turned-off by the current price mania may still be in the market for a new vehicle.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    If you wish to discuss other cars, please use the pull-down menu on the left to locate discussions about various make/models.

This discussion is ONLY about Prices Paid & Buying Experiences of the Mustang.

Thanks!
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    The manufacturer has nothing to do with the dealers' price gouging. I've learned in the past that dealers can basically run their businesses however they want since it's a franchise. They only have to adhere to some very loose and unpoliced guidelines set by the manufacturer. Outside of applying rebates and servicing the cars, it's a free-for-all in how they do their business. The domestic manufacturers need to pull in the reigns a bit, like the Japanese manufacturers.

The other thing is that price is also ruled by demand. Right now, the supply is nowhere near able to keep up with the demand (for GTs, at least). That's why most dealers aren't willing to move off MSRP or higher. It's also why there's so much gouging going on, though I can't understand why there would be a markup on a V6 Mustang. Then again, it could be because the V6 has closed in on the GT in everything except power. Before, the V6 was as different from the GT as the GT was from the Cobra. Now, the V6 has the same suspension, interior treatments, etc. as the GT. Only thing missing is the snarly V8 and some exterior appointments.

At the risk of sounding selfish since I already have mine, I hope the pricing stays that way for a good, long while. It helps keep the value of my GT up. As soon as the market gets flooded with these cars, we are going to take a depreciation hit like crazy! I was one of the "lucky" ones who was able to get one "simply" at MSRP. Normally, I would've run right out the door. But in this case, it is loaded with every option, except automatic and spoiler delete, and it had never even been driven other than at the shipping yard and for PDI; she only had 4 miles on the odometer when I bought her. The peace of mind in knowing that I truly am the "only" one to have driven it was worth paying MSRP to me. I don't have to worry about how badly it was abused on test drives, how many people have been touching all over it, etc. If a problem crops up, I know that it is either a manufacturing defect or something that I did. I don't have to wonder what somebody else could've done to cause it or how much abuse it was put through to get to that point.

Peace of mind is a valuable thing.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Even here in New England where we have relatively few 05 Mustangs compared to the south where more of the inventory has been shipped, we have dealers discounting their new Stangs to reasonable prices. I am paying $500 over invoice for my V6 Premium. Others in the northeast are getting decent deals too. Any dealer marking up from MSRP doesn't deserve consideration from a serious buyer.
  • tango3tango3 Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    An interesting letter and observations. Just wondering why you didn't try the 350Z or RX8?
  • carprof1carprof1 Member Posts: 5
    No IUP or other interior upgrade. None available when I bought. Beige cloth interior. I would have liked the IUP and will probably upgrade the steering wheel later when there are some at a salvage yard. Still love the car.
  • carprof1carprof1 Member Posts: 5
    1panky

If you haven't already tried, cross over to Northern VA. I bought my V6 at World of Ford on Route 1 (Richmond Highway) in Alexandria. They discount without a problem. I was able to buy on the Ford X plan when other dealers would not sell at that price.
    I think the car is priced right at list, but less money is always better. I agree that at 2K over on a V6 the Maryland dealer will have lots of inventory.

Good luck.
    carprof1 Thank you for the information. I am located in the DC metro area, an easy commute to Alexandria.
  • johngaltjohngalt Member Posts: 5
    I really appreciate this board so I'll share my experience too.. I just pulled my black on black GT Convertible into the garage (30 miles on it now, 4 when I picked it up this afternoon).

I live in Sacramento, and the biggest dealer in town called me triumphantly on Sunday to tell me that they just got a few GT Convertibles.. they are marking them up $10K (but it's "negotiable").

So I decided to get some other car...

While researching the "other car" yesterday a salesperson at another local dealer told me "I have a GT Convertible on the way right now, should be here by the weekend". I winced and said "how much"? She said MSRP. I put the deposit down yesterday, and took delivery today.

I don't care what happens with this model in the future price-wise, I gotta say that this car at full MSRP is the best value I have ever seen in my life. It would be easy to spend $80K and not turn as many heads!

Anyway - just thought I'd share my .02.

By the way, the person who sold me the car said her dealership isn't doing "plan A" on GT Mustangs...

Enjoy your cars!!! Even if you paid a markup ... "so what". I'm happy you have an '05 Mustang and you should be too!!
    I picked up my car on Monday - after waiting since Oct for the order to be pulled and built. I had been told by other dealers that MSRP was the price - no discounts - but a friend of mine who is the internet sales rep at my dealer quickly agreed to $500 over invoice - and I get the $500 rebate from AQHA to bring the net price back down to invoice (including holdback) so it's a $22.9K car for $20.3K net. The dealer did screw up the paperwork pretty badly at the point of sale and it took a while to get the price correct but otherwise the experience was fine. Can't wait now to start using the car regularly once our winter weather here in northern New England lets up!
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ...Just wondering why you didn't try the 350Z or RX8?

I wanted a V8 only.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Ordered a redfire GT Premium 5-speed with the Shaker 500 stereo, interior upgrade package, interior appearance package (red interior), side airbags, active alarm system, bullitt wheels and wheel locks.

MSRP=$27,705
    my X plan price=$25,485

I ordered it from Farifield Ford (OH) on 2/4. Order was pulled for production on 2/24. Production date either this week or next. Hopefully, delivery will be the 1st of April.

The GT's and Convertibles are way over sold. Ford planned on building 150,000 of them. Many dealers are saying their allotment of '05s is totally used up and are now taking orders for '06s.

I would imagine by April, these cars (at least the GTs) will be scarcer than they are now. That said, my dealer has two GT coupes sitting on the lot (one silver and one yellow). I would imagine they'll be gone by this weekend.

Deals can be made under MSRP, but it's not an easy task. You have to shop several dealers and pit them against each other. But first, you have to find a dealer that has allotment left for the '05 models.

The allure is easy to see. The Mustang GT offers performance very nearly the same as the '05 GTO (with 100 more HP), it looks great, has a great interior and is built very well. Plus, it's at least $5,000 less than its competition.

That sounds like a recipe for success if I've ever heard one.

Ford did good!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • wifewantedagtwifewantedagt Member Posts: 2
    After being c&u for 3 months my wife finally had all she could stand and hit the breaking point. She said forget the Mustang she was going to buy a Nissan 350Z. She had her heart set on the GT so I got very aggressive in my search. I contacted every dealer within 300 miles. Finally found one exactly like we ordered minus the upgraded wheels.(she actually liked the standard GT wheels better after seeing them on the car) This car had been ordered for someone, but they backed out when the car arrived earlier in the day. I explained my predicament (distance from the dealer) and he told me he would stay open till I got there. At 5 minutes after midnight my wife drove her new GT off the showroom floor. I paid MSRP, but my wife has the car she really wanted so it was worth the extra bucks to me. I ask the dealer how quick the GTs were being sold. He said that most of them are sold before they get out of prep. This is the biggest Ford dealer in Memphis TN and he only had 1 GT besides the one I bought. It was Mineral Grey with Crimson interior. Not a very appealling combo, but never the less he didnt expect much trouble in selling it.
    Just got word today from my dealer. He gave me the VIN# and said my GT is scheduled to go down the assembly line on 3/24....ETA at the dealership on 3/30. That's about exactly 8 weeks from the date of my order on 2/6.

I ordered mine on X plan. It's a redfire metalic GT premium with manual tranny, IUP, ICAP, active anti-theft, bullitt wheels, shaker 500, wheel locks.
  • litt10litt10 Member Posts: 6
    What was the price after the x-plan? I plan on ordering a GT this week with just about the same options and the x-plan
  • charlie_tcharlie_t Member Posts: 1
    My wife is a die hard Mustang fan and was anxious to test drive the new 05's. Took her to the local dealership in Tallahassee, Fl. They had three on the lot, all V6 premiums. One red with red interior, one silver with black leather interior and one white with tan interior. After the test drive, my wife fell in love with the car, now I had my job cut our for me to get her a good deal. We were trading in her 2000 Mustang with 13K miles. After the smoked cleared, we drove away in the new Mustang, for $14,700.
    The sales agent told me to put away my mask and gun, as he felt like I was robbing him. The sales manager said they had NEVER sold a mustang for what I got. And the business manager kept asking me where I got my numbers. All I can say is, Edmunds is great. Only issue was that the invoice price listed by Edmunds was $200 higher than the price on the dealer's invoice. Everything else, dead smack on.
    MSRP for Redfire GT Premium, IUP, ICAP, side airbags, wheel locks, active anti-theft was 27,705.

X plan is $25,485.

Invoice according to Edmunds is $25,475.

So, my price is about $10 above invoice using X plan.

But, I think there was a price increase somewhere that I don't have to pay since X plan price protects me from the date of the order. So, I'm probably under invoice with X plan.
  • cb2005cb2005 Member Posts: 1
    I went with my daughter and her boyfriend last night to two dealerships looking for the GT. At the first dealership, Mcree Ford in Dickinson, the guy was nice but said the best thing to do was order a GT. It would take about 3-4 months for it to come in but you would be sure to get one and get one the way you wanted it. We have dealt with this dealership before and had wonderful experiences.
    The second dealership, Ron Carter in Alvin, was terrible! We had to go hunt for a salesman. He came out and showed us the inside of the trunk and the lights on the dashboard! OH yeah that's what I want to pay $30,000 for a trunk space and lights.

The guy was very rude and condesending. He said the car starts out at $30K and if the people don't like it at that price we tell them to go down the road and with in an hour the car is sold.

I want to do more research before I actually go and make a deal.
    cb....the salesman obviously has the pricing wrong. GTs, all loaded up will go for about $28K. Drop the need for an automatic and you still get a loaded GT for a little over $27K. Plenty of people have been very pleased with the standard interior....that gets you to between $25k-$26K.

Run away from the dealers who want to charge $30K for a GT. If it's a convertible, that's a different story.

It's pretty common knowledge that the Mustang (particularly the GT and convertibles) are backlogged. Many dealers have used up their entire allotment for '05 Mustangs and are taking orders for '06s.

Best thing to do is to go to a dealer and ask them if they have any more '05 Mustang allotments and order what you want.

If you're so inclined, Ford announced they have upped production of the Mustang by 40%. I suspect that those units will be rolling into dealer stock within a couple of months and you'll be able to buy one off the lot, if you don't mind taking a chance and waiting.

Or, you can order an '06.
  • johnbirdmanjohnbirdman Member Posts: 14
    Is it possible to do this already? I thought you would have to wait until the pricing options etc were announced.
  • esbrockesbrock Member Posts: 88
    It looks like I will be ordering a GT premium from Jordan Ford in San Antonio. It will be a Satin Silver 5-speed with IUP as the only option. My salesguy gave me an X-plan price of 24,946 which is 2 dollars above what edmunds lists as the invoice. He is supposed to call me tomorrow with a firm price when his inventory guy is in to confirm it.

He also told me that if I order it this week, I could probably expect it around mid-July. Man that is a long wait!!! I hope it's worth it.
    esbrock....the dealer should give you a VOC (Vehicle Order Confirmation) which will clearly show the X plan price on it with the way yours is equipped. It should also show the "priority number" that the dealer asigned to it (make sure to ask them for a 10 priority number as it's the highest for ordered cars). Also, ask them what their allotment of Mustang GTs is. That should tell you whether they have allotment left for this month, next month, the rest of the year. If they have allotment left for this month or next, and you have a 10 priority, you should get yours in 6-8 weeks from date of order. IF they don't have allotment left for this month or next month, don't expect to see your car for a good long time. Go to another dealer if that's the case.

My guess is that your dealer either doesn't have any allotment left for '05 GTs or he's going to give you a low priority number since they will use high priority numbers for cars to put on their lot. There's no other reason for it to take 4 months for you to get an ordered car. Besides, they're goint to start making the '06s in August.

Again, run away from your dealer and go somewhere else.

'06s can not be ordered yet. Some folks are getting letters from Ford appologizing for the delay because of Mustangs being oversold. They are offering some "incentives" (up to $750) to order '06s instead to those that have waited over 3 months for their ordered cars.
    Thanks for the info, Graphicguy. I printed out your response so I can take it to the dealer and ask all the questions that you suggested. It is going to probably blow the salesguy away. He already was impressed that I knew all the specs and options that were available. Jordan Ford is supposed to be the top dealer here in town so I'm hoping they get a fairly large allotment. I wouldn't be surprised if they were giving me a low priority request number so they wouldn't have to use one of there early arrivals on me. I bet dealers hate selling to X-planners on such a hot car. I'm not in a major rush so I wouldn't mind hunting down another dealer to take my order. The salesguy has been very helpful though and I would feel kind of bad about it. Oh well, that's business, huh?
    Glad to help!

The VOC will also show the MSRP and the invoice of the car, in addition to the other "Ford employee prices" (like "Z" prices).

It should be no big deal for the dealer to give you a "#10" priority number as that meansif he's got allotment, the factory will pull the order for production soon after the order is accepted into their system (and the 6-8 week lead time).

If the dealer balks at the #10 priority number, it means that he wants to put his "in stock" orders ahead of yours. To me, that's not right since you are a sure sale, whereas the in stock orders are not (although, as popular as the Mustang is, the dealer will make more on an in-stock unit than he will on your "X plan" order).

Also, if the dealer claims to have allotment for March or April, ask him how many people have ordered ahead of you and have not taken delivery. If there are 10 orders ahead of you and the dealer only has 5 allotments for the month, you aren't going to get your car in a reasonable time period. In other words, the dealer may say they have allotment, but won't tell you that the allotment is already spoken for by other orders.

Good luck!
  • txraytxray Member Posts: 2
    Try Russell & Smith on the South Loop, Steve Tillett. They ordered my GT for $1000 under MSRP but I ended up buying it for X Plan.
  • huck1huck1 Member Posts: 9
    Anyone have any buying experiences yet???
    I would be grateful to hear them.

Many thanks.
  • racingjayracingjay Member Posts: 19
    All:

Trying to look to order a GT (X-Plan eligible), and all of the dealers here in OKC are out of their allotments. Anyone else seeing this, and anyone aware when the 06 models will drop?
    Just took delivery of my GT premium,redfire metalic, 5-speed, bullitt wheels, interior upgrade package, red/black interior, active alarm, wheel locks.

I have a friend who works for Ford and gave me an X plan pin. MSRP was $28,050. Invoice was $25,701 Ford X plan pricing (what I paid) was $25,620.

I ordered it when the weather was still nasty around my 'burg at the beginning of February. I went to my dealer on one particularly nasty evening weatherwise....no one in the showroom except me and the salespeople and management. Took delivery 7 weeks later (right in time for Spring).

Since that time, already "hot" models, the GTs and Convertibles, have been blazing saleswise since the weather has broke for Spring.

Most dealers don't have any covertible or GT stock. Most have already sold out their '05 model allotment, too. My dealer has sold every one they have coming in until Sept (when the '06s should begin to be produced. They are already taking orders for '06s and report that those sales are brisk, too.

What does all of this mean? Well, if you find a GT or convertible in dealer stock you like, try to make a deal on one. Don't expect to pay less than MSRP as some dealers are charging $100s or even $1,000s over MSRP for an '05. On the other hand, V6 coupes are more plentiful and you'd probably be able to get one for under MSRP if you find a dealer with some in stock.

It seems the time to have made a deal on the '05 Mustang was this past winter when the weather was nasty. Those that live in more pleasant climates have had a hard time getting a Mustang and an even harder time making a deal on one.

Now, they are just plain tough to come by.
  • huck1huck1 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks graphicguy for taking the time to post your message, much appreciated.
    Regards

Huck
    Since the inventory guy only works during the week, the order won't actually be placed until Monday. The salesguy is supposed to call me because he wasn't real sure about the wait time until the order gets placed. The only option I wanted on the GT Premium was the Interior Upgrade Package. He stated that the option could greatly increase the wait time, but again he wasn't sure. Is the IUP option worth the wait? I don't really mind the lack of Aluminum look pieces, but the My Color dash and extra gauges look pretty cool. Does the trip computer come standard or is it part of the IUP option? The brochure doesn't say. Can I get some opinions on this? Thanks
    huck....you're welcome. Glad to help if I can.

esbrock....you might want to tell your dealer you are willing to go to another dealer if they don't change their tune.

Interior Upgrade Package (IUP) is not an issue. While it's not clear exactly what happened a couple of months ago, there was a lawsuit filed by some lawyer who said Ford stole his idea for "My Color". That has long since been settled, however. Bottom line, IUP will not extend your wait time on an order. Trip computer only comes with IUP.

Again, tell your dealer that you want a priority "#10" when you order and make certain they have allotment for April regarding Mustang GTs. If they have the allotment and they give you a priority number of 10 for your order.....6-8 weeks is the wait time.
  • lassen54lassen54 Member Posts: 7
    After reading so much about the new Mustang, I really had a hankering for a GT Coupe...mainly for the retro look that I really like...and the V-8 performance. This past weekend I found the one that I wanted, but the dealer wanted 2k over msrp...something I just did not want to do...tried another local area here in the SF bay area...and the same story...except for 4k markup on the converts. These things are flying off the shelves in California. Then, I heard about the Ford Store in San Leandro selling GTs for msrp...never thought I would get excited about buying a car at msrp...but I rushed on down...The dealer had one GT coupe in torch red with red interior...all I could think of was that is REALLY red...maybe 20 years ago I would have went for it...then the salesperson led me to the convertibles...FOUR Premium GTs to select from...a black on black convertible with 5 speed (mine and my daughter's choice), but my wife wanted an automatic...the remaining selections were narrowed to the following GT automatic converts: a Redfire Metallic, Siver Metallic, and a White one...We ended up buying the Redfire Metallic one with black leather interior for a ride...it only had 3 miles on it! Wow, I was pretty much sold when I started it up and heard that nice mellow exhaust note.

I will not regret buying the convertible , but I don't think they capture the retro look as well as the coupes due to the convert top vs. the fastback rear on the coupes.

This convertible feels VERY solid on the road...no cowl shake that I can notice...I really like the car a LOT...but could suggest the following to Ford:

The black intake runners on the motor are rather dull...some bright metal treatment here would have been nice...for a car that with a 33k msrp...a hood prop rod just does not seem right...and why is there only one control for the back windows...and they must be up or down together?

Strong points: The traction control works very well...I accelerated sharply in the rain and did not have a problem (but I'm still wary of the live axle and rear coming around on me)...very quiet inside for a convertible...love those GT lamps...kind of say 'get out of my way'....very nice feel to the seats and dash...thanks for the full size spare tire! I was really surprised that REGULAR fuel is okay...a nice surprise with gas prices going throught the roof.

I guess I was fortunate that I was able to buy one and actually had some choices.

Perhaps to wait a year or so to have more choices and use my "x" plan that no local dealer would now accept would have been the way to go...but a walk through the Ford candy store was just too strong of a temptation...a truly memorable experience that I will not soon forget!
    Funny comment...."a walk through the Ford candy store was just too strong of a temptation...a truly memorable experience that I will not soon forget!"

When was the last time you thought of a Ford store as being a "candy store"?

I noticed that Ford is bringing people into the dealerships for the Mustang and the hybrid Escape. I'm sure this will help with 500 sales, too.

I felt lucky to get X plan on mine, but I placed my order during one of the worst snow storms in recent memory this past February...no customers around.

From what I understand, with Spring hitting, MSRP is a "good" price on the convertibles and GTs.

Welcome aboard!
    Lassen54 - Congrats to you on that new GT convertible!! What a pleasure to be able to actually select between several tempting cars. Most of us have not even seen a convertible yet!
  • pumpkinfishpumpkinfish Member Posts: 61
    I was considering the RX-8 and the GT. Needless to say, the Ford dealer treated me better and was willing to work with us to get us in the Stang. No pressure and very laid back at my local Ford dealer. Long story short, I am now in a Silver GT auto w/ IUP (wife needs to drive the car too). The only GTs on the lot were my silver and a white auto. I purchased it at MSRP but the dealer was willing to try and get as many discounts as possible. Glad my Masters degree has already started working for me ;-) Since Saturday it has been rainy in the Philly area, so I can't wait to get some sun and enjoy this beast!

The only thing I am disappointed in is having the spoiler. I would have liked to add a ducktail and the one I was looking at would not cover the factory spoiler holes. So I am not going to mess with filling holes and repainting. Not yet anyway...
    The ducktail spoiler is on the "hit list" for a lot of people.

Or....you could just wait a year and a half for the Cobra GT500 and get the ducktail. Of course, the rest of that car won't be too shabby, either.
  • lassen54lassen54 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you! There are very few converts out here, but I expect to see more before too long. The car is getting a lot of thumbs up at this point. I'm looking forward to some "top down" weather. The weather forecast for tomorrow is clear, sunny, and 75 degrees---we've had a long wet winter here in northern california and some warm sunshine will be nice for a change...I'm sure we'll be seeing converts all over the country before too long!
  • gtforme2gtforme2 Member Posts: 23
    It's first's all the way around.

First convertible, First time that will be paying MRSP, First time registering to join forum (read many often), First time didn't have all the answers before starting the car buying process.

Thanks to the graphicguy and others on the purchase info. I have question. I was so pumped when went to the Ford Dealer (Tuesday night) that I ordered right then and there. A GT with everything (except the 1000 watt). Bottomline, tuned into this forum last night (Wednesday) and then checked my VOC and found out it's listed #99. So, I am calling dealer this morning. I'll ask on the allocation. Also, do you think order will have to be cancelled and reinput to get the higher priority?

I'm in the Granite state, called 7 dealers (including Boston area dealer), all said no GT conv available, need order, will be MSRP, delivery Mid June to July. Hoping that not too late. By the sounds, might not see anything till the fall.
    lassen54....congrats and welcome. Come on down to southern OH where we're just coming off of one of the worst (snowy) winters in recent memory.

Rainy winter? Hopefully, that means we will be getting some mighty fine wines out of that rain in the next year or two.

BTW, I love northern CA. I'm in the Bay Area for work about once/mo. Love it.

gtforme....you definitely want your dealer to change your priority from "99". If it stays there, you'll never get your car. Again, insist on a priority of "10". You definitely want to know your dealer's allocation for April/May. IF they don't have any, go to another dealer who has allocation and will order yours with a priority "10".

Supply is tight for the GTs, in any flavor. Even though Ford had upped production to 150,000 units for MY '05 over 140,000 units for MY '04, demand still outstrips supply.

A few weeks ago, Ford upped production again to 180,000-185,000 units for MY '05. It's not clear yet whether even that elevated number will meet the strong demand for the '05 Mustang.

As a result of this demand, dealers are selling any and all GTs and convertibles they can get their hands on. Lots or crazy stories on other boards about dealers taking customer orders and selling them for more than agreed prices to other people, charging well above MSRP, etc.

Take a walk over to E-Bay and take a look at what some people/dealers are doing....adding different wheels/tires/striping....calling them "special editions" and charging more than MSRP. GT convertibles are being bid "over MSRP", too.

Best thing to do is arm yourself with knowledge and take that knowledge to a dealer you feel you can trust. Then, stay on top of them regarding your order.
  • pumpkinfishpumpkinfish Member Posts: 61
    If this car wasn't so much fun, it would be tempting to cash in on eBay or a local ad and make a profit. I can't get over the engineering Ford put into this car.

I feel for you guys who have to order and hope you get it. I was one of the lucky ones whose dealer had what I wanted and didn't play games. I payed MSRP, but that is the price for being an early adopter. Hang in there and hopefully you can get your car with some summer left to enjoy it.
  • carfreak189carfreak189 Member Posts: 31
    Today my dad finalized his Mustang. Since he wanted to customize it he ordered his. He got a premium V6 with leather, Interior upgrade package, front seat side mounted airbags and wheel locks. Msrp on the car is 23,930. We get in 6-8 weeks. Edmunds says expect to pay MSRP the car cost us 22,359. We got the discount because he works for American Express and got a big discount but most dealer do not oblide by it when it comes to a car in such high demand. The dealer was very profesional and it was a very good atmopshere. The dealer is Elmwood Ford In Elmwood Park, New Jersey on route 4 (broadway) if your interested in a mustang or any Ford I would give them a look.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Question for those buying convertibles. Do they offer a roll bar as an option? Did you buy a roll bar?

Loren
  • johngaltjohngalt Member Posts: 5
    You gotta keep your convertible right-side-up at all times according to the owners manual... there is no roll bar.