Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Thanks for the advise!

Obviously all this new technology confuses me - I don't even have a cell phone!

You are doing a nice job here - very useful site!
  • I don't know why it didn't go through. I just sent you another mail. You must of been looking at S-F West Port, they have a bad BBB rating. I also had problems with the dealer when I stopped in to get information from them. It was as if nobody wanted to waist their time, so I left. I emailed you (hopefully) info on the dealer that I purchased from. They were AWESOME to deal with no problems and my salesman was GREAT! Let me know if it doesn't come through this time.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,220
    Just a bit of history....the Mustang (particularly the GT) sold way better than Ford's projections in '05. Sales for the '06 are strong, too. For all of '05 and most of '06 (so far), the GTs were hard to get. It seems supply has eased a bit now...after being on the market for 1.5 years (for the new platform/body style).

I'm fortunate enough that I get to travel a lot for work...all over North America. In my travels, I've yet to see any Ford dealership with more than a 2-3 GTs in stock. I'd venture to say that NO dealership has 90 Mustangs (let alone GTs) in stock. They may CLAIM that. But, it doesn't make it true.

The result of all of this is that Mustang GTs have brought MSRP (or above) in the past. Since supply has eased a little, I would think there are some out there that can get special employee pricing (very hard to do last year) or discounts on in-stock units (if you can find one you want). But, Ford offers no special incentives, rebates, etc on them.

So, if you can get one at $1,000 off MSRP, I'd jump on it.

Many deals involve trades, so it's tought to ascertain what the real bottom line price was. Trade values vary by dealer and region. Plus, we never know if a dealer over under allowed on a trade to make a deal on a new car (which always affects the price paid). Some dealers have very high "fees" (like document fees, accessories, etc) that also pad the final cost.

I had one of the first '05 Mustang GTs in my state. I was lucky enough that I ordered it during one of the worst winters, in one of the worst snow storms in local recent memory. The dealership was willing to order it on an employee pricing plan, based on the fact they had no business due to weather at the time. I ended up selling it 9 months later for no other reason than I made money on it. I don't think that same thing can be done today, but these are still high demand cars.

Remember, the closest competitors are the Dodge Charger (Hemi, 4-door, automatic only) and the GTO (won't be made after this year). Both are more expensive than the Mustang GT. That means the demand for Mustang GTs will remain "hot" for a while.
  • Thanks for your input!

Actually we looked very closely at the Chargers - great value but they lost out in the 'fun to drive' category. SRT8 was the real winner, just could not justify $40,000 and premium gas, etc.

Hemi RT with the 350 HP package was priced at $29,500 for 'Friends of Chrysler'. But for $3,000+ more it will just be too hard to pass up the drop top 'Stang!

GTO was deadly fast and a real kick to drive; but 'butt ugly' and had red guages.

Hopefully we have the car all picked out, it is in stock and offered at $1,000 under MSRP. They are asking $125 'doc fee'; but they should be negotiable on that, too. Only reservation is that the dealer has 25 BBB complaints in the last 36 months.

But then again, we don't need to service the car where we bought it, do we??

Again, thanks for your help!
  • lmmlmm Posts: 70
    The shortage of GT's is easing.

Plus many dealers have stopped taking orders for 06's. YOu can order an 07 next month.

If you are willing to travel the South has a surplus of GT's you can get at X plan or invoice.
  • No you don't have to have the car serviced where you purchased it, but from experience, it makes things alot easier. The dealers seem to give perferential treatment to "their" customers first. I tried that once but ended up going back to my purchasing dealer for service so I could avoid the hassels.

If you are planning on buying an extended warranty, MAKE sure you guy the Ford warranty, not an off brand that they might sell you. Alot of those have to be taken back to the purchasing dealer for warranty work.

Good luck
  • Hey guys. I test drove my Mustang today. v-6 Coupe Premium with automatic tran. and leather. But I think the leather is standard. Anyway the invoice is $21,700. That is as low as he says he could go. With taxes tags etc it is $22,400. I was told that Ford never ever ever gives rebates on mustangs because they hold their value so well. Also that dealers never ever knock anything off the price because of this also. Is this true? Is there any reason for me to haggle if dealers never knock any off. I am planning to put $6,000 cash down so I thought I might could get it for $20,500. Let me know what you experienced mustangs owners think. Any advice would be appreciated. -D
    You should be able to negotiate on a V6, as they are much more plentiful than the GTs. Go to a couple of dealers and see what they'll do, pricewise. $500 over invoice should get a deal done on a V6.

The Mustang has been such a sales success, that Ford doesn't have to rebate it, at all.
  • If your buying a stock mustang off their lot, you probably won't get them to come down much because they know that somebody else will be right behind you willing to pay the higher price. Ford hasn't been offering ANY rebates or incentives on the new Mustangs. That part is true, but some dealers have been willing to Order people Mustangs with x plan or employee pricing, but you have to find a dealer that is willing to do this BEFORE you order your car.

If your happy with the price then I say go for it.

Good Luck
  • riposteriposte Posts: 160
    Not sure where you are (I'm in central Florida), but 'Stangs aren't moving very quickly.

There'a a local dealer with a 2005 V6 convertible leftover that's been there forever. They also have a couple of GT's that have been on the lot for 2 months.
  • Go for it!!

First - thank you to all those who advised us on our 'journey'.

We decided on a silver Premium GT convertible!! It is on order and should be in our hot little hands on March 21st! Can't wait to play!!

Thanks again for all of the help and support!

Second - JUST DO IT!!

Do not pass up the chance to own one of these cars!

We rented a six for the weekend - plenty fast and fun - sold us on the whole Mustang 'thing'. (But not the same as a GT!)

Initially we were looking at $1,000 under MSRP on the GT; and we did get a much better deal. So I'd think sixes should be going well under sticker. Look on the Ford web site - they even list 'cost'. Just remember that the 'cost' number has 3% holdback and all sorts of other dealer incentives factored in. I'd offer 'cost' and give them the holdback. Probably would not go much over that now - plenty of sixes around at other dealers.

Good luck!
  • Do any of the new Mustangs have heated seats? I have decided I want a Mustang sometime between now and my 50th birthday next year. Don't know if I can wait that long. I am reading every word you all have to say to get all the information I need before then. What do you all think of that new light blue color? Also with a convertible, do people that have them, use them much, or would it be better to get a hard top? They sure look sharp. Thanks.
  • Try leasing if you can get Fords Red Carpet Tier 1 lease. Interest is only 1.25% /36 months or 1.0% for 24 months.
    I got mine at $150 over invoice. Total interest for your 36 months with only $2,000 drive off will probably be only $500. Your residual will be about 50% of MSRP for the coupe. You can buy the car after the lease.
  • Heated seats aren't an option for the new stangs. Maybe a new model down the road. That's one of the few things that I miss about my prior car. The others are sunroof and radio controls on the steering wheel :(

But you can't go wrong with a new Mustang. I love my GT. I'm not that crazy about the light blue color, but what's important is that you like it. Good luck
    You can get aftermarket accessories to heat up the leather seats.

I wanted heated too but have found the seats dont feel very cold. And the car heats up extremely fast.

The windveil blue is a popular color with women.
  • notsallynotsally Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what the different Ford purchase plans are? I've heard A-plan, which I think is for employees only. I've also heard of D-plan and X-plan.
    just read heated seats are an option for 2007.
  • A-Current Ford Employee
    Z-Retired Ford Employee
    D-Ford Dealer pricing (for the salesman)
    X-Supplier Pricing

Hope this helps

07 is getting heated seats that SUCKS :mad:
  • gtforme2gtforme2 Posts: 23
    Where did you read on the heated seats?
    another site showing the dealer codes for ordering 2007's.
  • hey spdwy33

How long did you have to wait to get your GT from your original order date? I have a GT convertible on order and it's taking forever!

Vistablues
  • spdwy33spdwy33 Posts: 21
    Expecting the 'ghost' to arrive in 13 days! (Lucky 13?)

But we were lucky. Our dealer already had a black GT convertible on order and they were able to change the color on that car for us. We did not get the side impact airbags that I wanted; but we should get it 24 days after signing the order!

Damned! Can't wait!

Good luck with yours!
  • Cookie, to answer your convertible question;
    I have an '05 GT convertible and I love it. There's nothing like the "topless" experience on a warm sunny day. Heck, I even dropped the ragtop on a couple 40 degree days in February and took a short drive with hat, gloves, and a heavy coat. You sure get some odd looks! :blush:

However, convertibles may not be for everyone. They are noisier than a hardtop even with the top up, and although the Mustang has excellent design to keep the wind rush out of the cabin at speed, once you get above 70 or so it gets to be quite "exhilarating". Also, when you leave a car with a cloth roof in a parking lot, everyone with a pocketknife has a "key" so you never want to leave anything visible in the cabin.
    Regardless of any shortcomings, I wouldn't trade it for the world (Unless I can figure out a way to afford a Shelby convertible!)

Good luck :shades:
  • zlskrszlskrs Posts: 9
    Does anyone know of dealers in the northern NJ area who will sell a GT convertible at X-plan? Are you more likely to get X-plan pricing by buying off the lot or by ordering? Any insight would be appreciated.
    ZLS....no hamr in asking a dealer to sell at X plan on an in-stock unit. What's the worst they can say? NO!

I would try it on the last day of the month when the dealership may be trying to make some quotas, though.
  • david66david66 Posts: 2
    I live outside USA and want to buy 2 Mustang GT's. One 'triple black' convertible auto and one Black coupe, stick shift (unfortunately one is for a friend - I can't afford two!). Both leather trim with 18" wheels.
    Have had prices from WA dealers and they only offer a few hundred below window price on a 2 car deal.

As I'm outside USA, I don't care where the dealer is located, but West Coast is easier for me. I need a dealer I can trust, as I've heard horror stories of wrong color/options etc when the car is delivered, buy which time it is too late as I have to pay before shipment overseas.
    I would also like the best price I can, but they aren't very negotiable.
    Would it be best to wait until 07 model, or is the difference minimal?
    Does anyone know of any second hand 05's or 06's?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Great forum.
    david....you've got a double "whammy". First, Spring is just about here and that's when these cars sell the best. So, it's going to be tough going to get a "great" deal on any GTs....particularly convertibles.

Used ones are still being advertised around me (midwest) for their original MSRP stickers. I'm certain that they can be bought for less than that price since they're used, but that should give you an indication about how "hot" these cars are in the marketplace.

You're 2nd issue is you are trying to negotiate the price from outside the country. I don't know how many dealers are going to be willing to negotiate without you being present, in their showroom, with checkbook in hand.

Good luck!
    There is absolutely no reason why you cannot completely negotiate buying a car via email in todays electronic world. Except for a dealer who does not offer internet buying.

If they want your business you can do it, whether you can get the deal you want is a different matter.

Have you tried FordofKirland.com they have 6 GT convertibles in stock and at least 10 Gt coupes and of late were offering a coupe GT near invoice.
  • david66david66 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input. I will be in USA in April and again in June, so will find the 'most co-operative' dealer on the net, then make a visit, check book in hnad!
    I'll be in Los Angeles and salt Lake in April and Wisconsin in June, so anyone who has expereince with dealers in those areas your input would be appreciated. Thanks again.
    I've always been able to strike a better deal by being in the showroom, with checkbook in hand, than the internet quotes I've received.