Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Wow....good thing I have a nice purple mustang GT, 1996, 46,000 miles...STiLL.
    Ordered my 2005 GT Premium Nov. 16, 2004.....yes, 2004. No mustang. End of June 2005 re-ordered a 2006....since my 2005 wasn't going to be made. Well, here it is, October 21, 2005 and still waiting for my car. It'll be a year in November since I originally ordered.
    Are there any other dummies out there like me who have been this patient waiting for a V8 mustang GT premium?
    I still make my every 2 week phone call on Friday to see if there is any VIN, any production date. Still being told, the computer is waiting to pick you. And I have a priority 10 this time, for sure. Saw it on my paperwork. I went as far as asking, who can I write to, who can I complain to at Ford...am only told by the person on the other line that they can pass it along to their supervisor.
    Is it because I'm a woman who likes hot cars or because I got it at about $1800 under MSRP?? I don't get it.
    They say patience is a virtue....I must be a saint.....
    I'd like to know if anyone out there knows anyone else in this situation...it's the little guy against the big guy. Sure they're in short supply, but give me a break, you can't tell me it takes a year to get a car produced from the factory.
    And Ford wonders why they're losing money and can't sell cars....get a clue!!
    I'll give everyone a BIG YIPPEE on this site if I ever get my car....... :mad:
  • I just ordered a V6/AT with pony package, side airbags, and a few other options, and paid $23,400 + t/l, this forum helped, thanks.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,099
    purple.....sounds like your dealer is putting everyone else in front of you with their allotment. My guess is you'll never see it until they decide to sell GTs at $1,800 off MSRP.

At this point, you've got nothing to lose by going to another dealer and starting the process all over again. This isn't a Ford issue. It's a dealership issue.
  • purplegt,

Not sure where you are located (or the dealer you ordered from), but I went to a small dealership in Northern NJ back on 7/26. I had a hard time getting them to enter the order into the system, but they finally did on 9/8 (I got a DORA and VOC). I just called the Ford number to get the status and the car is scheduled to be built next week (10/24). Here are the details of the car I ordered:

GT Premium
    Satin Silver/Red Interior (Int Color Accent Pkg)
    Auto
    IUP
    Side Air Bags
    18" fan blade wheels (64W)
    Retail Price: $29,005
    X-plan (as per contract and DORA): $27,013 (less destination of $695) = $26,318.

This is $2,687 off of MSRP. I too was thinking that the car would never get built, but this dealership is very reputable. It does have a small alottment, but not the customers to support it (most of the customers buy F-150's or sedans at this dealership). I'm probably one of only a handful of people who ordered a GT from this dealership. One other thing to note...not sure how popular the Mustangs are where you are, but I don't see many here...since it's been introduced, I've seen maybe a dozen on the road...maybe it's easier here to get a deal.

I would take graphicguy's advice and go someplace else. I had to talk to 10 different dealerships before I could find one that would do X-plan. My plan was either X-plan or nothing. I would never pay MSRP (or above) for ANY car...even a car as beautiful as the new Mustang.

By the way, does anyone have any idea how long from build date to arrival at the dealership?

Thanks.
  • Just picked up my Vista Blue 2006 GT in Pittsburgh PA. No one was excepting my X-plan but after 2 weeks one dealer called to except it. He had just received his third GT. He has had his first since mid August. Deciding factor (I think) I was at this dealership for 2 hours in the evening. I was the only one there. Keep trying to deal they have to come down. :)
    jagz....while I didn't go to 10 dealers to find one who offered "X" plan on the GT (for those uninitiated, "X" plan is the Ford employee/supplier "friends and family" price), it did take me a while to get my local dealer to honor it.

As most here know, I went to the dealership (for the 4th time) when it was snowing in the midst of one of the worst winters in recent memory. No one was in the showroom. Matter of fact, the weather was so bad, they were planning on closing the dealership early the night I walked in. After 3 previous unsuccessful attempts, they finally ordered it at X plan for me. Fortunately, I knew all about DORA and VOC and made sure I didn't leave the dealership without a signed agreement to ward off any "misunderstandings" with the deal later on.

Mine showed up 7 weeks to the day after I ordered it, but I got lucky. If everything is done right, the dealership has allotment, they give your order at least a "10" priority number, the wait time is normally about 8-12 weeks from the date of order.

MSRP on mine, with IUP, ICAP, Side Airbags, active anti-theft, bullitt wheels was $28, 050. My X plan price paid was $25,500. As of a couple of months ago, I had DEALERS offer me MSRP for it.....USED. Recently, I had a private party offer me $28K for it. With winter coming, as much as I'd hate to do it, I may take someone up on their offer. Maybe come back during the Spring and buy another '06.
  • Purple, At the risk of another "me too" to your post. I have to agree with graphicguy and jagsbimmer. Go to another dealership. Ford ain't your problem, the dealership is. They're running you around and probably laughing behind your back every time you leave. I had a great dealer experience, with my dealer verifying my order ( and taking my deposit) only as soon as they were able to include it in their allotment. Their predicted delivery was within two weeks of the actual delivery date in July. RUN away from those losers!
  • Hey Graphicguy and those who've responded to me this past year....I might be in some luck getting my car....FINALLY...last week I emailed my dealer with a what's going on, please call me. (I'm dealing with the owner of the dealership) And didn't hear a word for almost 5 days. SO....I sent him a 2nd email and chewed his back side, and used your suggestion of actually telling him I was getting a run around, and that if I didn't hear back from him this week, I was going elsewhere, I'm tired of his game.
    I'm not holding my breath here by any means until I hear I have a VIN, but he said he called his rep and he must have caught them in a good mood, as they told him they would pull my order and begin production next week...! Said he would phone me again as soon as he gets the VIN.
    So guys, if this is true, usually what is the wait time till it gets to the dealer? I'm finally feeling a bit pumped about the prospect of finally getting it, but will only believe it when I get my VIN.....
    I just had to tell ya I might actually be getting somewhere....after a year!!!
    Still tics me that he magically got this response, why weren't you calling for me all along.....makes him look really good.....not.
    I'll keep in touch and let you know what transpires....hope you all have a fun halloween weekend!! :shades:
  • Which dealership in California did you order from?
  • I had a great experience with my 2006 GT Premium order. The dealer was straight with me and all went well.

Ordered September 5th
    Built September 19th
    Delivered October 20th
    Black coupe w/black leather
    18" Fanblades (they really look great in person)
    Every option except shaker 1000 (needed golf club space)
    Clear bra on front of hood and bumper
    30% tint on all side and rear windows (3m w/metal film)
    MSRP $30,000 (to the penny)
    Xplan paid $27,712

I love this car...470 miles so far. My first road trip in two weeks from Salt Lake to Las Vegas.

Bob
  • Here is a short summary of my experience:

July 28: Order Premium GT
    Sept 8: Order entered into Ford system
    Oct 8: Car scheduled for production week of 10/24
    Oct 26: Car produced and put on carrier with expected delivery date of 11/3

Looks like I'll get the car the end of next week or the beginning of the following week. Total time from when the order was entered to anticipated delivery: 8 weeks.

I got my VIN number Thursday, 10/27. Arranged financing myself (72 mos., 5.2%) thru NetBank. I'll get the check next week and I'll bring that with the rest of my deposit and that should be it.

Hang in there. If anything should go wrong, I would recommend my dealer, but it is in Northern NJ...not sure where you are from.
  • maxcat2maxcat2 Posts: 23
    The other day my neighbor mentioned a friends and family plan from Ford and I guess he was referring to the what I've read about in this forum as the X plan. Both him and his wife are retired Ford managers. He said a vehicle could be purchased at 1% below dealer cost. From reading previous posts it seems dealers do not have to sell cars through this plan and typically won't do it with Mustangs. Is this correct? If a car has an invoice price of $26,000 and an MSRP of $28,000 does the dealer not make any money or do they then essentially pay Ford $24,000 for the car and still make $2,000? Last, does this plan apply to the whole Ford family of vehicles (Mazda, Land Rover) etc.? Thanks for any replies.
  • Maxcat2,

Ford and its family of companies (Mazda, Volvo, Jaguar, etc.) offers several discount plans for employees, retirees, and other organizations where a partnership of some kind exists. Plan discounts vary. Ford offers several discount levels (i.e. Z plan, X plan, A plan, etc.) The best discounts are for direct employees and retirees...well below invoice and with the holdback going to the buyer rather than the dealer. The X plan (called S plan by Mazda) is available to partnership organizations. This is the most common plan because so many people belong to organizations with this qualifying designation. The Xplan is just about at invoice, but the dealer gets to keep the 2-3% holdback for the car and some additional support. Ford dealers DO NOT have to participate and most will not for hot cars. Myself and others on this forum qualified for the program and also found a nice dealership who would accept the Xplan for a GT. Slower selling models, like the V6, can easily be purchased with an Xplan because the allocation is plentiful.

I hope this helps...and hopefully you qualify for a plan.

Bob
    maxcat....as skiu said, it's up to the dealership whether they'll accept X plan on the Mustang. As best I can tell, if you hit a dealership on a slow month, they're more likely to do so. That's how I got my x plan deal. It was a very slow month in February in the middle of a snow storm to get my x plan deal.

If my dealer is to be believed, they said my Mustang was the only one they've sold on x plan. They also won't honor x plans on the Escape hybrid.

While I enjoyed my ownership experience with my Mustang over the last several months, I finally broke down and sold it for way more than I paid for it. I had several offers over the months, but since winter is coming, I finally broke down and took the last offer.

The GTs are still hot cars and tough to get. They're still bringing MSRP and above around here for a new one.

I expect that will change come the first snow fall, though.
  • nogtyetnogtyet Posts: 11
    Graphic, I'm shocked, shocked that you sold! Was it the fuel tank problem, trans, compressor, noise, water leakage, steering or all the above that wore you down. My build date is next week, after ordering July 1 on a plan much lower down the alphabet than yours (thus my wait). I live in the NE and I doubt I'll get to drive it 10 or 12 times over the next few months when it's BRAND NEW and tempting me. (That car will not experience road salt.) Anyway, if that car has the issues that I'm reading about on this board it will be SOLD FAST. Are you reading this FoMoCo? I'm not sure I did the right thing ordering the car and putting myself through the waiting anxiety. OK, fire away.
  • maxcat2maxcat2 Posts: 23
    Thanks for the replies. One clarification please. Does the dealer not make any money other than hold back? Is it the dealer, not Ford, that takes the monetary hit to sell under this plan? Thanks again.
    Nope....had absolutely no problems with mine. I drove it for 9 months. I turned around and sold it for more than I paid for it. Originally, I thought I'd order another one to replace mine. But, it became clear, I wouldn't get as good a deal as I got on my first one. But, with winter just around the corner, I knew that even if I could get another one on X plan, it would be sitting in the garage for the next few months. Even my (one and only) oil change was comped by my dealer. They only thing I did was put gas in it.

--no flow fuel fill issues
    --I only had one disk that wouldn't play in my "Shaker" (and it was a "burned disk")
    --tranny was fine (manual)
    --no issues with my compressor (although, it did cycle on and off when I was using the A/C....but so has any car I've ever owned).
    --mine didn't leak
    --steering worked just fine

Please, don't drive yourself crazy. I've told other people that this is an out and out muscle car. It makes no pretentions that it's anything other than that. If you're going to be afraid of it, maybe it's not for you.
  • I believe the dealer does receive some additional funding, but I'm not sure what the exact amount is...I know they don't make as much as they would if sold at MSRP...and that's what the Mustang GT's are getting and more.

Bob
    Yes, Ford does compensate the dealer and (I think) the sales person on X,A, etc plan deals. I don't know what the amount is either, but I don't get the impression it's anywhere near what they make on one that sells for MSRP. IF that were the case, then dealers would be selling any vehicle on one of the plans with no pushback whatsoever.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,652
    I'm not sure on Fords, but when GM was offering employee pricing, I was looking at a Saab 9-2X, and the dealer showed me the invoice... On a $30K MSRP car, the "dealer reserve", which is what GM would pay the dealer, if sold on an employee price deal, was around $1500.... or close to 5%..

Certainly not anywhere close to what they make selling at MSRP, but it isn't like a giveaway for the dealers...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs