Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cobra07cobra07 Posts: 3
    HI ! THANKS FOR ALL THE V-GOOD INPUT....HAD A QUESTION WHEN YOU USE A FRIEND OR OTHERS ?..... A OR X PLAN , HOW DID YOU DEAL WITH THE DMV..SALES TAX."ONE TIME"?....REGISTRATION "ONE TIME ? .ANY PROBLEM FROM FORD.. WHAT SHOULD BE SAID AT ORDING ?.........GLAD FOR YOU ON FINDING YOUR CAR ...THX FOR ANY HELP.....ENJOY THE RIDE........
  • purplegtpurplegt Posts: 22
    Thanks graphicguy.....I'm going to push for that 2 priority and see how far I get, am going in Tues night to finalize pricing, etc. on the 2006. You'd think that I'd be one of those "special circumstances" to get the highest priority, since I've already been waiting since Nov. 04....when I see all these other people here that ordered in March or April and have since taken delivery, this just totally stinks. There was one other guy who ordered from the same dealer right after I did and he's not got his yet either...

I tried calling ford direct twice last week to check on my 2005 order, both times I got a response that they couldn't bring up my order status, so called the dealer, the guy who ordered my 06 wasn't in, but one of the guys seems to think they actually rolled my 05 order to the 06 so that is why the 05 order isn't showing up for status anymore.

I guess if I have to pay another $500 to get the 2006, so be it, I don't like it, but what can I do at this point, I want the car, dang it, and of course they know anyone else would not sell to me below MSRP.....so....

I'll be curious to see what colors they are offering for 2006, if they had the purple like I have now, I think I'd have to have it.....and 18" wheels on the new ones? EEEK....I paid $800 for 17" Potenza's in 2001, I can't imagine cost of replacing 18" this many years later....OUCH. That's what I get for liking the pony car...

I'll let you know how I come out this week, wish me luck...... :shades:

OH, and by the way, the story you told about the guy who ordered and the dealer turned around and sold it out from under him.....funny, I had that same thought a few months ago....and ya know, it wouldn't surprise me! That is just rotten.....
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,142
    Good luck purple. Unfortunately, no "purple" color for '06. If you dig around a little, I think the 18" wheels are the same ones they were putting on the showcars when the design first hit the show circuit.

Don't fret if the 800 number can't find your order. I tried it a couple of times when I was waiting for mine. They never could find the order. Matter of fact, the day the dealer called to tell me mine was in and sitting on their lot, I had called that morning and the 800 lady said my order couldn't be found.

From what I'm hearing, '06 GTs are going to be as scarce as the '05s because of strong pre-orders. So, if you can get priority 10 (or better) you should be in good shape.

I do know that my friend who is a Ford employee said he gets $25 for every X-plan pin he gives out that turns into a sale (all the way to $1,000). But, it's voluntary whether the dealership honors any special pricing plan. My guess is, most dealers won't honor then while demand is so high. If you want any of the pricing plans, best advice I can give is wait until this winter when there's snow on the ground to get any discounts (at least, that's what I did last winter).
  • esbrockesbrock Posts: 88
    My salesguy faxed my order confirmation, on my '06 GT Premium, today. Here are a few pricing items some may be interested in. The base price for the GT Premium is $26,320. The two options I ordered are as follows: Interior Upgrade Package = $450.00 & 18" Wheels = $825.00. The wheel option is a bit expensive, but still cheaper than sticking with the standard wheels and buying new ones later.
    Check out a couple of websites I found....info on the new 2006 models, new options & colors: http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2005/news0024mustang06.php

This site shows some cool pics of the new 2006....I'm not into gray cars, but this one is sharp! I'm assuming this is showing off the new 18" wheels....and shows the 2 new colors...although at $800 plus for the new 18" wheels, guess I'll be sticking with my $195 upgrade to the premium rims....yiker!

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/06/

Wish me luck...going to do my 2006 paperwork Tues night, my current price is $26,035, we'll see how high they jump me.... :blush:

Thought you might enjoy reading/seeing the new 2006...the "pony car" option is pretty neat for the V6 models, they needed some dressing up!

Later.........!
  • wildhorsewildhorse Posts: 10
    Hmmm...I actually don't like the new grill, like the 05 v6 one better. Thanks for sharing, was cool seeing what is new on the 06s. Reading the pdf file I didn't see any automatic transmissions just manuals. Does that mean no automatics available in the 06s???
  • caballocaballo Posts: 6
    Wow! I'm sold.

I've been waiting to see if I can scoop up a 2005 GT convertible, but after seeing the tungsten 2006 coupe with the stripes and 18" wheels I'm done! I'm going to see what my dealer will qoute me to order one of these babies now.

BTW- I went to see a dealer outside of Austin that has had a GT in stock for over a month and now I know why. He told me he would sell it to me at "no more" than 2500 over MSRP and that he would "work" with me on price. I walked out at that point.

Better to order exactly what I want, pay MSRP, and save my money. Who know's I may even have this bad boy by Christmas!
  • vppreachervppreacher Posts: 72
    Picked up my 2005 Satin Silver GT on Monday. First off, thanks for the advice and help to everyone here, special props go out to graphicguy. Second, for those that are in Jacksonville or in close proximity to Northern Florida, I can HIGHLY recommend Mike Davidson Ford at Regency as a great organization. I ended up getting the Mustang GT for around 800$ below MSRP, they honored my original quote even though the price went up, gave me the Ford military discount, and kept me informed of the car's progress throughout the order/build process. Mitch, the sales manager, estimated delivery at 8-12 weeks, but they got the car in 7. Best of all, though, was they were honest and forthright from the beginning to end. Gotta go...still more rubber to burn!
  • msad1217msad1217 Posts: 1
    I just received an email from Millenium Ford here in Seattle. I was asking about the price of the V6 Torch Red AT that they have on the lot and I was told and I quote:

"The mark up on Mustangs is $2,995. That would brin up the price to $27,275."

Needless to say, I will not be talking to them again. I just found another dealership that is willing to sell theirs at MSRP.
    VP......My pleasure....glad I could help. Have fun in your new Mustang.
  • huck1huck1 Posts: 9
    Have just convinced my wife to agree on an 06 but I'm afraid to take her to the dealership cause I don't think she will be able to reach the pedals. Are my fears well founded? And if so, are there any adjustment kits out there.
    Please help!!!

Huck
  • fsvfsv Posts: 196
    I testdrove one on Friday. A convertible. Liked: the best driver seat I can remember. Very quiet with the top up or down, easy to bring it down. Interior worked for me. Didn't like - V6, which is the same as in my Mountaineer< just didn't perform at all. I am under impression, that my Mountaineer would be a much faster vehicle. May be calipers on Mustang were frozen? No other explanation. Rear seat - you just can not use it - I don't know, if it is possible for anybody to seat there? What else? Yeah, it had 18 inch optional wheels - you feel every crack in th road surface. A pothole feels like a direct hit of an anti-tank missle. And Shaker 1000 didn't impress me to begin with. When I saw, how much space a subwoofer eats up in trunk, I liked it even less. What's wrong with a subwoofer under the seats? :confuse:
  • njlimenjlime Posts: 2
    I was also concerned about my wife being able to reach the pedals & see out over the dash. She is barely 5' 3".We just picked up our '05 GT Convertible on Friday.

My wife drove last night for the first time.
    It would be better if the car had adjustable pedals like my 2003 Explorer, but my wife felt confident & comfortable. Go for it !!

Great car !!
    I was a bit curious why Ford didn't offer adjustable pedals on the Mustang given they offer them on just about everything else they sell. Those are becoming kind of a "gotta have" option for Fords because they are the only company that offers them on so many models. Perhaps they think the SUV or mini-van crowd are the only people that want them.

The main reason I didn't get the Shaker 1000 was because of the sub's intrusion in the trunk. While I like my Shaker 500, the after market crowd wouldn't be happy with either. While stock stereos have improved dramatically over the last 5 years, they still aren't going to please the "thump-thump" crowd. They're just fine for me, however.

I used to have an RX8. Loved the idea of the suicide doors to enter into the back seat. But, the few times people rode back there, they felt claustrophobic. I don't know of anyone who is ever pleased with the back seat of any coupe. It's just something that you live with. Back seat room isn't a high priority with me.

My philosophy (a selfish one), as long as I don't have to ride back there, I don't particularly care. IF it's a major concern, then any coupe isn't going to be very satisfactory. The new Charger maybe a more pallatable alternative to the Mustang.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    A reporter wishes to speak with people who have recently purchased a Ford Mustang. She would like to discuss your ownership experience and what other cars you considered. If you would like to speak with her please send your name and daytime phone number to Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com by 12 noon Tuesday, June 28. Thank you.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• caballocaballo Posts: 6
    How are some of you getting 06 pricing? I've talked to two dealers about placing orders and they've told me they simply do not have pricing for the 06 model.
  • A few years ago I was washing my wife's Eagle Talon. Washing the first rim, I noticed it was dented. "Bummer" I thought. I wasn't to surprised to see that the next rim on the same side was dented also. "Musta been a big pot hole" I thought. Went around to the other side and both rims were dented also. I ask her "Honey, how did you dent all four rims?" "I don't know." she said.
    There is no way in hell you dent all 4 rims.. and don't know how you did it!!!! I got the same story for various other dings, dents and scrapes on the car.
    We got her a Honda CRV 2 years ago. She is a smoker. She didn't want to trash the interior of her new CRV so she vowed not to smoke in it which made me very happy. She even took the cup holder instead of the ashtray option!! A couple months after having the CRV I noticed a rather large burn hole in the back seat... the kind you get when a smoker try's to flick their cig out the window but if flys back in through the rear window.... well she did admit to it (only after I asked what happened) but claimed it wasn't her fault... it was really windy that day... it was the winds fault.
    Then there is the mysterious scratches all around the door handle. It's odd that these scratches only appear around the doors that also have locks on them, the drivers door being the worst by far. The two rear doors have no scratches (no locks on them). Now, any reasonably intelligent person can quickly deduce that the culprit of the scratches is a persons keys. When left in the hand that trys to open the door after unlocking the door, you can imagine what it will eventually do to the paint around the door handle. Any ways, when I asked how she got all those scratches around the door handles... you guessed it.. "I don't know!"

Bottom line,... when I told her I was getting a GT she was pretty excited about having a sporty car back in our driveway (after 20 minutes of accusing me of going through a mid-life crisis). Her elation was quickly ended though, when I informed her that she would not be allowed to drive it... ever.
    "Why?" she asked.

"I don't know." I said.

Then, with her look of shock and utter disbelief that I would say that, I took her gently by the hand and we walked out to her CRV. I said nothing just simply pointed to the burn in the back seat and to all the "I don't know"s... and pretty much left it at that.
    To those that wish the peddles adjusted so your wife could drive the car... All I can say is... Be careful what you wish for!!!
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    LOL !!! Very funny post, and my wife does the same thing!!!! :cry: We would go shopping and she would put groceries on the roof, and then slide the bags off the roof scraching the roof. I would show her the scrach marks, and she would deny they even existed. :cry:
    Hey there Graphicguy....been away from the message board for awhile, well, I signed up for my 2006....the dealer claimed he had never heard of any more than a priority 10...claims he called his rep. I doubt it. So, I did end up getting a priority 10. We pushed quite hard for a 2, he wouldn't budge.

Says he only has 2 GT's on order right now, and one is mine, and the other is the guy who ordered right after I did in Nov. 04. He basically admitted that the biggest problem is yes, he's a small dealership and he doesn't have enough allotment granted to him. If I had known that in the beginning, I could have ordered at the dealer just 16 miles north and would have had one by now, as they are also a Roush dealer.

Guess the other guy who ordered when I did really came into the dealership quite hot under the collar about his car, said he was ready to kick the guy out because he made such a fuss. Well, he had a reason to be hot!

He jacked the price by $700.00. Says the cost for making the 2006 from the factory is more. That cracks me up, its the same car for gods sake, you're just putting a 2006 tag on it! Of course I walked out of there feeling like I was dealing with a JERK as he made the comments of they sold it to me way under MSRP, well yeah, you offered it in November 04, is that my fault? And you haven't produced either.

I'm only holding out and still working with them as I know I'm not going to get this price anywhere else in the area I live in. So I wait...and wait...and wait. Think I'll have my 2006 by September with a priority 10 and a dealer that has a small allotment? He showed me paperwork he had got from Ford earlier that allowed him only one convertible, he got his one and has already sold it...

I'm at the point of I'll believe I'm really getting it when I see it!

Have a great 4th of July weekend! :shades:
    Did Ford underestimate the demand for the GT? :mad:
    They majorly underestimated the demand for the GT...as you can see from a few of my postings here, I ordered mine in November of 2004!! And yes, I'm quite disgusted. Plus to top it off I ordered from a dealer that has low allocation. I was told by my dealer that 13,000 cars (GT's) ordered are not going to get made. Anyone you can find that HAS a GT, you'll pay through the nose for. Most of the mustangs in my area of Wisconsin we are seeing are the V6 model, they are making them like crazy, or at least it seems, so now let's get busy on the V8's for those of us who are WAITING. What ticks me off the worst is, I've been waiting since last November, and now I'm basically back in line for my 2006, Ford didn't even have the nicety of putting those of us who have been waiting first in line. Needless to say, if I could get ahold of someone at Ford to talk to, they'd get a big piece of my mind. After this hassle, this most likely will be the last Ford I ever buy, they can't even provide decent customer service. :mad: As I understand it also, they shipped alot of the GT's to southern states to dealers because of warm weather and likely more sales for them....ya know, there are those of us in the midwest that would like ours too!!
  • vppreachervppreacher Posts: 72
    purplegt,
    I'm one of those Southen state sales (Jacksonville, FL). I've had a TOTALLY different buying experience. I think the difference is the dealership. I don't fault Ford for miscalculating demand. It was a simple mistake and we all make them. Ford undeniably underestimated the GT model's popularity, but who can blame them when the car has exceeded aesthetic and performance expectations by leaps and bounds. I will tell you this car is sublime. It is so more than the sum of its parts and those parts are pretty damn amazing. Also, didn't Ford increase the MY build by over 50%? Making more GTs can't be that easy or simple (EPA requirements, factory retooling, conflicts between different models with parts commonalities, etc) or Ford would have done it in their pursuit of profit. The other side of the coin is increasing production, but decreasing quality control. That would be counterproductive.

I do understand and think you should walk your hard earned money over to an honest, reputable dealer. Someone who gives a customer the runaround should wither on the economic vine. I wish you the best and hope you get your Stang as soon as possible.
    It seems that American car makers just can't get things right. :cry: They finally have a hot product and then tick everyone off due to under-production. The GT is very hot, and they should have known it was very competitve with Japanese and German sports coupes. Maybe a lack of confidence.
    purple....you've made all the right moves and asked all the right questions. Priority 10 is probably the best you can hope for. If my dealer is to be believed, then priority 2 is something reserved only for "problem cases". While I wasn't a "problem case", my late Father was a truck fleet customer who had done a lot of business with the dealership. That's the only reason I got the priority I got.

While, you can try to blame Ford for underestimating demand, I don't know how they could have predicted such high demand for any product. They did indeed raise production by 40,000 units when they saw demand was going to outstrip their already "bumped" up production (over '04 MY).

Plus, it's not just a simple issue of running more shifts at the plant. They have to rely on suppliers to meet higher demand and tighter delivery schedules. They need their other plants to bump production of other components. They even had a shortage of the IUP option for a while (which is probably why you'll see more base models than you see "loaded" models).

Add to that, from all outward appearances, it looks like Ford actually priced the Mustang GT too low (how often do you see that). That will translate into higher demand also. You must can't get this level of performance, handling, features and build quality anywhere near the Mustang's price (even at MSRP). Saying the styling is a "hit" would be a gross understatement. That also affected demand.

Ford also bumped up GT production. I'm sure they have very high confidence in the Mustang. Their historical numbers showed that 30% of Mustang buyers get a V8 version. I'm sure they had no idea that the number would be closer to 50% wanting a GT.
  • frnkrzzofrnkrzzo Posts: 87
    ...and they just found another customer willing to pay $2995 over msrp. can you really blame them for not giving you a "bargain"?......the law of supply and demand. If you want a bargain, get one of those but-ugly p/t cruisers. they were selling for 5000 or more over msrp when they came out, i think chrysler is now paying peole to take them. why cry about the free market? personnally, i salute the dealership that stuck to their guns and demanded a premium price for a premium car.
  • frnkrzzofrnkrzzo Posts: 87
    I'm assuming you, and all who write similar posts are the same bunch of guys that were posting messages back in september saying how only a fool would buy one then. "wait until february or march until the rebates hit. ford will be giving these things away by then." i even saw a post by someone asking for advice after a dealer offered him a gt on x-plan....he was thinking he could wait and do better. i went ahead and bought one of the first ones out of local dealer stock. no waiting, no problems. i paid full ticket for it, but was never asked to pay more than that. I've been enjoying mine for about 9 months now while you have been spewing hate mail.

if i were you, i'd hold off till february or march of 06. by then, rebates will have hit and ford will be giving these things away. good luck.

:P
    Enjoy your dude LOL great points. :P
    I mean enjoy your ride dude :cry:
    I think some people are coming late to the party. They've been thinking about the Mustang.
    Then, they decide they are going to stick their toes in the water and try to buy one.

For most, they can't find one (expecially GTs). Once they do, they are expecting X% off MSRP, or at least some sort of rebates. None of that is available since Ford and their dealerships are selling every Mustang they can get their hands on.

Then the wailing begins...."Ford did this on purpose (undestimating demand).....dealers are ripping me off at MSRP.....I found a car I like, but no one will deal....etc".

Short story is, Ford has a hit on their hands. They've bumped production as high as they can and still can't meet demand. It doesn't look like the demand will subside, even into the next model year ('06). So, if you've found a Mustang you like sitting on the lot (rare) and the dealer is sticking to MSRP, buy it. That's what the market is for this car.

You can wait to see if demand slacks off and deals begin, but don't expect it in the foreseeable future. Even if you wait, you can bet that future price increases will offset any $$$ off MSRP that you'll save today. I saw one article that stated for the next 18 months, demand will be high for the Mustang (GT).

To me, that's a good thing. That tells me that resale on the current iteration will be very good.

Or, if you really want similar performance and you don't mind derivative styling and sloppier handling, you can always buy a GTO. GM is offering those at the employee price. Still, that price is north of $30K (about the same as a Mustang convertible).

Then again, you've got the Dodge Charger that just hit the streets. You should be able to get a deal on those in about 2-3 months, if you don't mind a 4 door, automatic trans car with a hemi.