Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Stop For Gas Stupid! - 2016 Toyota Tacoma Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2016 in Toyota
imageStop For Gas Stupid! - 2016 Toyota Tacoma Long-Term Road Test

I like cars that don't just suggest you go for some go-go juice but get aggressive about it. I like our long-term 2016 Toyota Tacoma.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    18.1 mpg...and we are reminded still again why people just buy full-size pickups rather than mid-size. Because mid-size with low-tech, old-style drivetrains compared with full-size, high-tech drivetrains yields next to no difference in the full-size mpg, but huge differences in power.

Both the Colorado/Canyon and the Tacoma, newly redesigned within the past year or so, have 10-year-old engines and transmissions. It's a one-punch fight.
  • Options
    sxty8stangsxty8stang Member Posts: 58
    I'm with you, Scott. Since every modern car (as far as I can tell) is programmed to read "0 to empty" when there's really 2-3 gallons still left, I don't get real worried until I'm at 10 to empty or less.
  • Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509

18.1 mpg...and we are reminded still again why people just buy full-size pickups rather than mid-size. Because mid-size with low-tech, old-style drivetrains compared with full-size, high-tech drivetrains yields next to no difference in the full-size mpg, but huge differences in power.

Both the Colorado/Canyon and the Tacoma, newly redesigned within the past year or so, have 10-year-old engines and transmissions. It's a one-punch fight.

Can you imagine what the 2.7 EcoBoost would be capable of in a vehicle the size of the Tacoma? I doubt it'll happen but if Ford brought back the Ranger, put an EcoBoost 2.7 as the top-range motor and an EcoBoost 2.3 as the base engine it would do pretty well.
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Some people want a smaller truck because it, you know, takes up less space. It's not consumers' fault that GM picked a revvy car engine for the Canyon/Colorado, or that Toyota has been phoning-in the Tacoma for over a decade. I agree, the automakers should give these things some decent (gas) engines, but there are more things to recommend a midsize truck than just the engine.
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    So, a 2 gallon reserve? That's too much. One Gallon is appropriate. Oh well, at least the games of bouncing gas gauge is done. You know where it goes quickly towards E, then bumps up, then bumps down again. Manufacturers claimed that's the way Americans wanted it. It was crazy that on our i30, the Low Gas light comes on with 5 GALLONS LEFT. 1/4th of the freaking tank! That might be appropriate when driving 80 mph on the interstate on a long trip, but otherwise, you're just going to stop for gas too much.
  • Options

Some people want a smaller truck because it, you know, takes up less space. It's not consumers' fault that GM picked a revvy car engine for the Canyon/Colorado, or that Toyota has been phoning-in the Tacoma for over a decade. I agree, the automakers should give these things some decent (gas) engines, but there are more things to recommend a midsize truck than just the engine.

Oh, I agree with you completely. If you are going to redesign the vehicle, I have no idea why you would not put in a new drivetrain. ebeaudoin above has it exactly right. I don't know what engine Chevy would use, but Toyota should expand its newfound relationship with Mazda and swipe the engine from the MX-9.

Toyota phones in the Tacoma and the Corolla, for example, because their customers allow them to.
  • Options

So, a 2 gallon reserve? That's too much. One Gallon is appropriate. Oh well, at least the games of bouncing gas gauge is done. You know where it goes quickly towards E, then bumps up, then bumps down again. Manufacturers claimed that's the way Americans wanted it. It was crazy that on our i30, the Low Gas light comes on with 5 GALLONS LEFT. 1/4th of the freaking tank! That might be appropriate when driving 80 mph on the interstate on a long trip, but otherwise, you're just going to stop for gas too much.

Actually over 3 gallons, which on this tank would have been around 54 miles of driving.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    I think it depends on the vehicles fuel economy. A Prius could give a low fuel warning with 1.5 gallons left in the tank and you could still go 50+ miles more. On a Tundra you would probably want a warning to come on with 5 gallons left in the tank.
  • Options
    adantiumadantium Member Posts: 42
    Aren't you killing your fuel tank fuel pump by doing this? Especially in hot Cali I can see it overheating. It's built to keep cool from the fuel in your tank. Also in an older car you're sucking up contaminants into the engine that float at the bottom of the tank. I'd never let you do this to my car.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2016
    I've heard this argument for a good 40 years, but I frequently drive until I'm in the "empty" range. I'm not quite as bad as I used to be to wait for the low fuel light to come on but it's still a pretty familiar sight. I had a '74 Jeep gas tank rust out on me back in '77 but have never had to drain a tank due to bad gas or had to replace a fuel pump. Can't say that I've been all that vigilant about replacing fuel filters over the years either.

And think of all the gas you save by not needlessly carrying all that extra weight around until you need to refill. :)
  • Options
    diondidiondi Member Posts: 71
    My Ram 1500 with the Hemi gets about the same fuel mileage... and I'm not shy about using the loud pedal either. This is somewhat disappointing for the Tacoma.