Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac GTO Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    The $200-$225 cost is just parts, not install. Figure a couple of hours of labor, at whatever the dealer's body shop rate is, to install, and make sure they don't break any of the clips on the front bumper cover. As to the old grilles, they are only really useful to someone who has broken them due to an accident or whatever. Having said that, I wouldn't let the dealer just keep thsm unless they give you some discount ($50? $25?) off the package cost. You can always sell 'em on eBay to somebody...

--Robert
  • jontyreesjontyrees Posts: 159
    Completely different story for me in Austin TX at Champion. Went in on Friday around 5.30pm, had a nice chat with their Internet sales guy, then went for a test drive, during which he told me that on that particular stretch of road, his buddy took it up to xxxmph on another test drive - "I knew he would". I told him I was definitely interested, but that my wife would have to come by for a drive and to see if the car fit her, (she's 5'2", and it's a manual). "No problem - want to take it home? You can keep it overnight if you like"

They were great - we liked it and had them bring in one in our color preference at the same price. Just a good allaround buying experience. Plus they didn't give me a hard time about the crease my wife put in the rim of the test car on a bank drive through curb - doh!
  • rob999rob999 Posts: 233
    Grrrrr.

I'm considering trading my current car, and I've been interested in the GTO for a while, so today I decided to go to a dealer (on Golf Road, Schaumburg, IL) during my lunch hour for a test drive. (I'm a middle-aged guy, dressed conservatively / business casual, and driving a late model car.) I parked right next to the front door and was looking at a GTO parked just outside the entrance. A sales guy popped out about 5 seconds later and asked if I wanted anything. Told him I was interested in test-driving a 6-speed GTO. Immediately he started coming up with excuses like: "this is a PERFORMANCE car - we normally don't do test drives" and "well, are you going to buy TODAY" ? He wouldn't even let me drive one of the left-over 2004 cars.

What a bunch of crap! Before I bought our Saab the sales guy gave me the keys and let me have the car for the afternoon. I probably could've gone into any import showroom where cars are 2-3 times as expensive as the GTO and would have been allowed a test drive in a heartbeat.

I might've expected this attitude when the GTO first came out last year and dealers were tacking on $3,000 to MSRP, but now we're talking about 2004-model cars with significant incentives.

Have any of you others experienced a similar attitude lately?
  • You've hit on two of the issues that have plagued this car from day one. Dealer price gouging and having to beg for test drives. I ran into this last summer and it sounds like it's still a problem with too many dealers today. Pontiac dealers seem to just suck.

You can either go back to the same store and ask for the new car sales manager, ream him about the salesman, and see how he reacts or find another store. Unfortunately my bad experience was at the dealer closest to my house.

I'm considering pulling the trigger on an '05 in the fall but gas prices have me wondering. I don't think we'll see it under $2/gal ever again and $4 or $5 is not unthinkable down the road.

Another thing, make sure you're comfortable with the trunk, it's TINY!
  • gunitgunit Posts: 469
    Rob999,

I just bought a new 2005 Impluse blue metallic GTO and took it home today. The dealer was very nice to me. Had no problem offering me a test drive and were very friendly. I am in my early 30's and was dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt, LOL! No attitude whatsover and no pressure to buy. I bought anyway, LOL! I even had my 2 yr old son with me, LOL! They offered to watch him while I test drove the car, VERY NICE of them. Probably just a bad dealer or salesman you ran into.
  • gunitgunit Posts: 469
    midwesttrader,

Yes the trunk is TINY, but still fits my son's McLaren stroller and some bags, good enough for us. His car seat fits MUCH BETTER in the GTO then it does in the Mustang. Gto has roomier backseat then Mustang. that was a must for me. By the same token the trunk is bigger on the mustang. I need the room in the backseat. Very nice car.... Very awesome exhaust V8 sound.. almost sounds like they have glasspack mufflers on there.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,835
    Make sure you visit our regular Pontiac GTO discussion to talk about the vehicle's features and ownership experiences.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mparis1mparis1 Posts: 107
    yes some dealers in new york the same crap........"no test drive because it had "performance tires"..... no test drive...."dead batteries"............please stop the crap.............finally bougt one in brooklyn,ny he ad to get it from new jersey............knew nothing about the cat...had to teach him to get a grille inserts..............afterwards he admitted too much bother with such a machine and will not orde anmymore...wow.....no wonder the GTO IS DEAD.
    DROVE IT 2 DAYS NOW.....................WHAT A MACHINE.EVEN HOLE -SHOTTED A NEW DODGE VIPER....just keep the tractiopn control off,,,,,,,,,,,theguy wanted to know what car it was ...said it is a GTO...HE NEVER SAW ONE..............PONTIAC CERTAINLY BLEW IT.....
    I can attest to the fact that the batteries on the GTO are weak. Mine on my replacement car was dead when I went to pick the car up. It also seemd to be weeping... took it out when I stored my car. Less than a month later, it was leaking on my workbench. Just picked up an Optima Red Top 134R battery (friend of a friend drives a battery truck all day, got a great price) which I'll be putting in my GTO tomorrow.

Regarding the lack of test drives, I would have immediately asked to speak to the General Manager. That attitude is ridiculous, especially on the '04s. A couple of possible reasons why they may not have wanted to do the test-drive:

1) Today was the 31st. They wanted to do any deals ASAP so they could book them this month. Thought you might be a window-shopper and not a serious buyer, so they didn't want to take the time/blew you off.
    2) There are very few 6-speed '04's left on dealer lots. A4 cars are not a problem...

Of course, you can just go to another dealership. I wouldn't let this one bad experience turn you away from considering this car. Don't know if calling Pontiac and complaining would, but nothing beats buying the car elsewhere, and stopping by to show the new car to the salesman who blew you off :-)

--Robert
  • rob999rob999 Posts: 233
    I've not written off the GTO by any means. There are plenty of Pontiac dealers in the suburban Chicago area - I just won't go to back to Napleton / Schaumburg. I've never experienced anything like yesterday at any other dealer, period, especially the "are you going to buy TODAY" crap. He offered to let me actually "SIT" in the showroom car (wow!), but I was so pissed at the time I just turned and walked.
  • sputterguysputterguy Posts: 383
    That's why there are lots of '04's left on the lots. That attitude. I guess some Dealers just don't learn. Here in San Jose I never took a test drive because they wouldn't come off their Dealer Markup. But they did offer to let me test drive one. Heck, they practically begged me to drive one. Of course I did pull into the Dealer in my pristine '98 GTP with 45K miles on it. They were practically falling over themselves offering me stuff. Everything but moving off the Dealer Markup. I finally found a Dealer in Colma that was selling for $500 over invoice. I must have driven 5 or 6 different GTOs before I decided on a Silver 6-speed. That was when the leases first came out. So I went for the lease. And before the deal was complete, the first $2K incentive came out. So I have a 4 year lease at $402 per month and I put $800 down.

Sorry I ended up talking about my buying experience. My advice to you is to find another dealer. And be patient. They will be coming out with incentives at some point.
    Pontiac sold 1375 GTO's last month, with the only incentive being the $1k "March Madness" which did not apply to any 2005's (cars had to be on the lots I think 120 days). I don't know the breakdown of '04's and '05's, but, at only 12k/yr, and March still being a bad weather month for half of the U.S., I wouldn't be so sure that we'll see much in the way of incentives on the '05s. Not going to see any new incentives on the '04's, I wouldn't think.
  • oaksteroakster Posts: 1
    You do need to shop around. Went to one dealer in MA this Saturday that wanted to sell me a car w/150 miles of test drives. They were great and let me drive the car w/no problems. I was serious about buying the car and wanted to deal but they wanted too much money. Sales people were great but the sales manager didn't want to budge. He told me the car was rare and there were several other dealers trying to get this car that would pay at least what I was offering. The GTOs seem to be finally moving but this was too much of a line for me. Would have paid what he was asking if the car had no miles but everyone wants to drive these cars for the thrill but few end up buying one.

Pontiacs site shows all the inventory at dealers in the area so I walked and drove 15 minutes to the next dealer that had the same car I was looking for (cyclone gray 6 speed). Walked into Pride Pontiac in Lynn, MA @5:30pm. Was greeted by a nice salesman. Told him what I wanted to pay, he asked me to write a check for the deposit to show him I was serious which I did. Went to his sales manager who told him the car was on the site but still in transit. Spent 5 minutes with the sales manager and we negotiated a great deal. Paid hundreds less and I get a car right off the truck instead of a 150 mile demo. One of the quickest deals they have made in a while. I feel for the sales reps at the other dealer b/c the manager lost a quick sale.

These are great cars and I wouldn't expect any major incentives because they are starting to move despite zero positive press.

Had another dealership I drive by everyday tell me when I first went in to just look at the car that they weren't sitting on the lot for more than 48 hours. I laughed b/c I drive by everyday and the same exact cars are still there. Sold one or two but not w/in 48 hours.

Shop around is my advice but don't expect them to be giving the 2005s away.
  • sputterguysputterguy Posts: 383
    I know, the '05s seem to be selling well. I'm just hoping there will be something in the way of incentives so I don't have to pay to much of a premium to get into an '05.
  • sensaisensai Posts: 129
    There is a $1000 off on the 05s now, but unless you can get financing close to as low as GMAC was offering through the end of March (0% on 36 months, 3.9% on 60 months), then it actually comes out to more than before...
  • lowflierlowflier Posts: 4
    I just had a great buying experience yesterday on an '05 Yellow/Black A4. They had no problem letting me test drive. I found it with 22 miles on the clock and put another 9 on during the drive. I kept this newborn to no more than 3500 rpm (even though the dealer told me not to be afraid to "drive" it). 3500 rpm had me merging on the highway at 80 and having to idle to avoid over-running traffic in front of me.

The sales guy started out with that shallow, phony demeanor that I absolutely detest, then threw me $1000 off MSRP and $21,500 for my '03 SVT Cobra. I really wanted to get past that shallow connection I had so my wife and I lured them away from the numbers for awhile. We started talking about how business was going at the dealership, my wife asked about her family, we talked about hobbies and pasttimes, and even managed to joke and kid a little bit. Soon we had them offering another $1000 in a "hot button" discount. The new car price was getting close but I told her she really had to sharpen her pencil on the trade because a dealer down the street had offered me substantially more (not a bluff). She asked me where she needed to be but, in a nice way, I stayed with "more than that". Edmunds valued my trade at $22,100 (22,150 miles in "clean" condition) and the offer from the other dealer was $22,500 with no firm number on the GTO. She came back with $22,800 and offered me the 1.9% for 36 months on the difference (which I didn't think I could get because of the $1000 cash allowance). The car is sitting in my garage this morning.

Final Deal:
    MSRP: $34,295
    Dealer Discount: ($1,000)
    Cash Allowance: ($1,000)
    My Price: $32,295

Trade-In Allowance: $22,800

Difference + Tax + Doc Fee + Title = $10,335 @ 1.9% = $295.81/mo for 3 years

I know it may not be the absolute best deal, but I drove away feeling like I got a fair deal and the salesperson made a little money too.

What do you folks think?
  • cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    It shouldn't matter what anybody else thinks if you're happy.
  • lowflierlowflier Posts: 4
    It doesn't - and I am. I guess I was really wondering how the deal stacks up against other deals being made out there.
    From what I've seen here (and on other site), a $1000 dealer discount on an '05 GTO is no big deal with invoice (or near) and supplier pricing available in some markets. That said, pricing really does seem to be dependent on location, lowflier. Thus, without knowing where you are, it is impossible to be more specific.

The important thing is that YOU are happy with your price.

Enjoy!
  • redacrredacr Posts: 24
    Congrats, but I must ask...
    What made you get rid of the cobra?
    i've driven an 03' and it made me wet my pants..
    ahh, the whine of a blower!!
  • Just read elsewhere that GM has updated the order cut off for the '05's. Final consensus is now April instead of March and the cut off for sold orders is April 21st. Final build date remains June 10, and '06 startup date remains August 24th.
    The Columbus Dispatch has an interesting ad today. Dennis Pontiac is offering a 2004 GTO for only $27,490! This is based on an MSRP of $33,190 minus $1000 GM Hot Button Rebate and less $4700 "Dennis Discount."

Sooooo, with the $5000 final payout they received on the car from GM, they are still trying to net more than MSRP for the vehicle at this late date.

I test drove this particular car last December when it had about 100 miles on it. Now I understand why they still have it.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Posts: 197
    That's too bad about your experience at N / S. May I suggest taking a ride to Marquardt Pontiac on Barrington Road (just north of Dundee)? The sales people there couldn't be nicer. I was getting my car serviced and decided to walk up stairs to see if there were any new Goats in the showroom. The first thing I saw was a beautiful '05 (blue one) parked near the stairs. I immediately sat down in the driver's seat. Later on I opened the hood and drooled all over the LS2. However, no one came over and bothered me. I actually had to walk over to a sales rep to ask him some questions. He was a young guy who owned muscle cars (Camaro SS and Mustang GT) in the past, and was VERY knowledgeable about the Goat. What a treat it was to talk with a fellow car enthusiast.
  • jak7jak7 Posts: 2
    I went looking at some cars this weekend and stopped in front of a GTO. I had no idea what kind of car it was till I asked. The body style grabbed my attention. I pulled up in my Nissan Maxima which is already a quick car in my eyes. I told the salesman I was just looking and had no clue what kind of car I wanted. He pointed me to the GTO and said if you want to have fun lets go take this car out. He did this knowing I wasn't ready to buy that day. (Sunday) I ran the piss out of the car and really liked it. I am looking at it very seriously. The only issue I have is the bad interest rates that GM is offering. Other than that the car was a lot of fun. :)
  • gottabgtogottabgto Posts: 95
    I have access to the employee discount from GM.
    Mentioned that to a dealer and he said the GTO is not covered under that.
    The discount is 5%.
    Anyone know if that is true or was this guy just blowing smoke?
    Not technically true.

GM employee (GMS pricing) is offered on the GTO - if you're an employee, log into GMFamilyFirst and then access the special version of GM BuyPower which will show you the employee pricing.

Dealers are _not_ required to sell you a car at GMS pricing. Many wouldn't, at least initially. I'd strongly suggest shopping around for a dealer that will... most of them have gotten smarter since last year (but there are a few who are still not offering GMS and/or are trying to mark up the cars over MSRP).

--Robert
  • 442man442man Posts: 210
    The GTO is covered under the Employee discount. I got my 2005 GTO using my employee discount with no problem at all! Tell the dealer you will go somewhere else then.
  • roland747roland747 Posts: 2
    I emailed a Pontiac dealer about taking a test drive in a Midnight Blue/Black Leather/Automatic 2005 GTO. The internet sales manager sent back a quote (including VIN) for $20,188 + tax, title, and license. Can I force them to actually give me this price?
  • johnbirdmanjohnbirdman Posts: 14
    I don't think you will be able to use a typo in an e-mail as a legally binding contract. What are GTO's really selling for these days? Last I heard dealers were asking for about $1000 off MSRP. Let us know what the correct quote is when you get it roland747.
  • simba2simba2 Posts: 3
    The local dealer has a black 2005 on the lot, first one that I've seen at that dealership. I looked at it today and noticed they have a $2500 added dealer markup sticker on it. Looking at the Pontiac website I see there are at least 8 more GTO's within a 75 mile radius. From what I've read hear I should be able to buy a GTO for less than MSRP. Are dealers really getting a premium for these cars?
This discussion has been closed.