Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac GTO Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• knightrider1knightrider1 Member Posts: 3
    i am trying to install h-pipes on my 05 gto. can i use the factory exhaust gaskets or do i have to buy new ones. if i use the factory will they blow up and if i need to buy new ones where can i get them.
  • sammy15sammy15 Member Posts: 5
    Bought the 2005 new Cyclone Grey AUTO 18" wheel GTO tonight. Dealer advertised Best Buy of $28,995, which includes destination charges ($700) and gas guzzler ($1,300) and any incentives. I go in thinking start at $25K, end in low $26Ks. I am very happy with the test drive and the growl of the engine. So after salesman explains Best Buy means he has only $100s to negotiate, not $1,000s, I start with $26K, already bidding against myself. He comes back with $27,937. I counter with $26,937 (guess I really want the car as I am $700-$800 above my predetermined top price). Dealer says $27,437 (how do they come up with these odd numbers?). I finally get back my spunk and say sorry, it is time to go home and think. Yep, you know it, they came back and matched my counter. Total was $26,937 + $225 license/fees + $45 doc fees + 8.5% tax - GM Card earnings. The dealer kept the GM Incentives (either $500, $750 or $1000, probably one of the lower numbers). I will have to pay retail for the two options I want (smokers package ~$140 and dual chrome rimmed front air intake grils ~$350). I am pretty happy, not the best price, nor the worst. The 2006 is not any better in my eyes, the dealer is < 2 miles from my house, the car is what I want (most important). WHAT DO YOU THINK? :P :)
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    I'm curious as to why you bought an '05. Granted, an '06 would cost more but that would be more than offset by the current zero percent financing.
  • theericharris1theericharris1 Member Posts: 13
    No kidding... you screwed up. Did you not know about the 0%/72 offer going now?

You should have got a 2006 for 0%/72. Are you paying interest? If you paid cash, you could have got the 0%/72 and put your $28K into a CD or online savings account making 5% APY.

The 2005 has probably been on the lot for almost a year not being drive. The 2006 would have cost about the same as the 2005 in the end, with a lower car payment probably.
    You may be right. But then again, every incentive the car company offers, they get the money back somewhere else. So the 0%/72 months on the '06 means they have less room to discount the sticker on those cars. I think the dealers will be more resistant to bargain on the 2006s for the 72 hr deal. These guys aren't here to give away cars. That's my view.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    sammyhagar, i think you are right, no way will they go so low on an 06 as an 05.
    27400 including gas guzzla tax and 18s was a great price.
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    I think the dealer knew you really wanted that particular car. Should have at least received all the incentives you were eligible for (rebate, conquest, military, etc.).

You bought a two year-old car that is worth about $22K wholesale the second you left the lot with it.
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    "You may be right. But then again, every incentive the car company offers, they get the money back somewhere else. So the 0%/72 months on the '06 means they have less room to discount the sticker on those cars. I think the dealers will be more resistant to bargain on the 2006s for the 72 hr deal. These guys aren't here to give away cars. That's my view."

Why would the dealers have less room? The car costs the dealer xxx amount of dollars, period.
    The manufacturers dont(impossible) set the profit margins for dealers. The dealers have nothing to do with factory incentives. Those are set by the manufacturer.
    I admit I play the car buying game pretty bad, but did check the going rate prices for my area on edmunds, kbb, autoworld, etc. The problem was I got a good feel for a fair price on a new 2006, but had to guess much more for a new leftover 2005. I think my price was 'fair' esp since I also got the neighborhood dealership, tires and color that I wanted. The only incentive advertised that applied to me on 2005s was $500, $750 or $1000 depending on which website you used. I admit I should have held out to get it, even if the dealer only gave me $500. Also, the GMCard website said you can get only $1K off a 2005 or 2006. The dealer took off my full earnings of $3400. Paid $26.9K + $270 lic/fees/docs + $2330 tax - $3400 GMCard. Walked out the door paying $26.1K.
  • usa2usa2 Member Posts: 14
    0% financing on 72 month loan is >$6000 interest saved over the life of the loan. 2006 GTO's sell for approximately $31,000.... zero percent financing is a great deal! I missed it.

Any one know when it 0% is coming back?
  • mparis1mparis1 Member Posts: 107
    saw ad in local nyc paper for 2006 GTO....total payment $28500.00.....wow ... this is without bargaining.I paid for my 2005 $32,500.00 a year-half ago. Same car....WOW. what a disaster ...they are giving them away...great car....BUT GM SCREWD -UP THE CAR...ADVERTISING... DROPPING LINE ...ALL YOU SEE/HEAR ABOUT IS FORD MUSTANGS................. THEY NEVER "REALLY" SUPPORTED THE CAR. do not know why they built it ,if they were not going to support it.......now they are giving them away..Luv mine....What dopes... :(
  • mick1mick1 Member Posts: 84
    Hey, a lot of people brag how much they overpaid for a car and even add the tax to show how "expensive" a car they bought. As the old adage goes, "Those who don't wait pay sticker." At least you're enjoying the car and still have a sense of humor.
  • maryowens420maryowens420 Member Posts: 8
    I was just quoted 28100 on a Leftover 2005 6-speed, plus a 1000 discount for owning a non-GM car, to make the final price 27100. What do you think a leftover 2005 is worth October, 2006? I'm also thinking about holding out to see if Pontiac is going to offer 0% on remaining 2006's. Advise please!!!
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Dealers are offering 2006 models for $28K. Why not buy the new one?
    I only found out recently an 06 can be had for 28k. That being said, I'm trying to determine what an 05 at this point is worth.
    Went to another dealer yesterday with written documentation in hand stating I could get an 06 6spd with 18in wheels for 27988. The reason I went to the other dealer is to try to get the car in a different color. Showed the salesman what I had, told him what I wanted in trade, and let him run with it. Long story short, he can't (or wont) match the price because the other dealer is "losing money". He would sell me the car for invoice-rebates, but the total price was still 293**. I got the old story of "we might sell this car tonight, if you want it put a deposit on it" so I walked out. I've seen the car sitting in the showroom for the past 6 months, and now they've moved it outside, putting a bright yellow solstice in its place. I get home to have a dealer that I requested a quote from (6 hours away, though) call me back on a leftover 05. After some light dickering, he came back with 24900. Its NOT the color combo I'm looking for, but I can't have my cake and eat it too with an 05. I'm starting to lean towards trying to make a deal on a 05 since the dealer is more willing to work with you. I really want the 06, but cant justify paying an extra 5k for it.
  • ronhextallronhextall Member Posts: 37
    I am still seeing 2005's on dealer lots using the search on pontiac.com. What do you think the odds are of getting them to knock $10,000 off sticker? I would argue they have a 2 year old car on their lot that is also a discontinued model. In my zip code area there are no fewer then 20 2005's still in dealer inventory.

I have seen a new 2005 Grand Prix marked down $8000+ and it wasn't even a high end GTP.
    First off, of the 20 cars 18 of them are probably automatics. As long as you don't mind driving an automatic, you have much more to pick from. I started off the same way as you, thinking I could really deal on a 2005. I asked for online dealer quotes from Pontiac.com on 2005's. (Just manuals, which severely limited my selection). From there, of the 5 dealers, only 2 called me back! Of those 2, the prices were 27100 and 24900. I found 2 other dealers willing to sell a 2006 for 27900. When showing the other dealers what I had, they claimed the other cars "were damaged in transit". I called the 2006 dealer and told them what the other guy said and he starts laughing, telling me I could have my pick of a dozen different cars, and that NONE of them had any kind of damage. I think the reason those dealers have those cars left on their lots is due to their attitude on selling it. I would have walked off their lot that day for a FAIR price, but they wanted to nickel and dime me and play games. Honestly, the car is only worth 10k off of sticker. Call any insurance company and ask them what the car would be worth as a total loss. Furthermore, pretty soon you'll wont be able to get a loan as a "new car" from a private bank. I got so turned off of this whole process I went out and bought a totally different used car (my first ford). I've been a proud GM owner for many years and am ashamed at the dealers and salespeople selling them. No wonder nobody buys GM products anymore. What a shame.
    there are plenty of fine GM dealers and GM salescritters. it's unfortunate that the one(s) near you don't want to sell you a car ! as an example of the complete coolosity of my local GM dealer, they only order their GTOs with stickshift and they omit all nonsense from the sales process.
  • fenwahfenwah Member Posts: 58
    A local dealership in my town is clearing out their remainder 2006 cars with the GM Discount for Everyone program. They have an 06 manual on the lot (MSRP - $32,685) asking $28,690. I would be able to knock another $3400 off using my GM Credit Card credits, and another $600 off on my Citibank Drivers Edge credit card credits. Is there anyone familiar with the GM Employee discount that could verify that the $28,690 is indeed the true GM Employee discount?
    I can't confirm the employee pricing for you, but the lowest I have seen for the same model is $27,995 with all rebates/incentives included. How are you getting them to allow you $3400 on your GM card? I have about $8500 on mine but the dealers are telling me that the limit is $1000. Can dealers make exceptions on this?
    Vin man - the original gm card caps at $3500 for a goat purchase and the newer gm card caps at $1000. there are other differences too.
    Thanks Elias. I forgot about the old card. I switched several years ago because the old card's earnings maxed at about $500 per year but had much higher redemption limits. I guess I was just looking for a loophole!
  • fenwahfenwah Member Posts: 58
    Correct...I'm on the old GM Card...max out at $500 earnings a year (5% on all purchases)...and max out at $3500 over seven years. I also have a Citibank Drivers Edge card with almost $1000 on it...but they send you a rebate check after you send in proof of purchase of a new car...so basically I would be getting three car payments out of it. Went to the dealership yesterday...car was red but had red interior...not sure I like the red interior...also had a blue exterior with matching blue interior...again...not too thrilled with the interior...wished they were both black interior. Test drove the red one. Holy cow...that car hauls! I knew I didn't have much negotiation power since they did show me that indeed it was the GM Employee discount...and I had no reason not to believe them. They did want to charge me $300 doc fees...I got a good laugh at that. I ended up walking out without a car though due to the interior colors...just couldn't do it. There are some other GTOs in some other nearby cities...so I will continue my search. But damn, does that car haul!! :shades:
  • plistplist Member Posts: 19
    I bought new manual Torrid Red, black interior, 18 inch painted wheels 06 GTO. I traded my 2006 Pontiac Solstice.
    Funny about all of this, The GTO I bought was a spur of the moment thing and all of you would be, I'm sure thinking what an idiot! I paid 31,095.00. I was just checking on the status of a new 07 Solstice due out for delivery in spring of 07 at my local pontiac dealship one night. My husband was out of state when I went to the dealership to ask questions about trading mine in now and putting deposit down on new 07 GXP solstice. While waiting I noticed the red GTO that had been there all summer was still there. I said to myself "of course that huge over priced Neon thing was still here", anyway as I spoke to my husband about the "Deal" with the Solstice, I mentioned how the Big ugly GTO was still there. He said if I was looking for a more powerful Solstice I should at least test drive the ugly GTO while I was there. They pushed it out of the showroom and hooked it up to a battery charger and started it up, wow! I drove it and that was it! We are having a blast and if I paid too much, oh well, lifes to short. I would have preferred all black and swore I would never own a red car, but that went to the way side too. I'm blinded by the power and speed this sleeper puts out!Yeah the dealer was waiting for someone like us. He would not budge on price and my husband was determined to comed home to it.
    Just go for it and drive! :P
    Did some research, dealer in MI up from detroit has six at 27,995.00. Decent colors.no BS about hidden costs or rebate puzzles. :confuse: I found him through AutoTrader. The lowest 06's I find are far from me, East Coast. Ohio seems to have some decent deals. This site and all of you have taught me so much, I will definately educate myself through this site for my next purchase! ;)
  • mick1mick1 Member Posts: 84
    thanks for teaching all us guys an important lesson, NEVER let your wife go out shopping for a car by herself, unless it's her money. good luck with the car[and the front struts].
    ha ha ha! Ok Mick whats the deal on struts or should I dive into another forum? I must add I had three men egging me onto the gto over the phone(Including my 16 yr old son) and I walked away when I found out what my payments would be. My husband said he could deal with the payment so I went back. I miss my solstice, but really they are two different cars and do not compare, so my man made me do it! Struts????
  • tripowergtotripowergto Member Posts: 83
    Star Pontiac, Easton PA 12/29/06

Purchased:
    06 Phantom Black Metallic/Black M6 w/18's w/16 Miles MSRP $33,180

Traded:
    04 Pulse Red M6 w/17's 23.7K miles purchased new 1/3/05 MSRP $33,485

After 3 visits and roughly 12 total hours spent at this particuliar dealer, this was the absolute best deal I could make with my trade. $9800 + my 04 which still had a full year remaining on the factory warranty and new tires, but had a crack in the lower front facia. We then had $2525 accrued on the old blue GM credit card bringing the final split to $7275 which is all I had to pay tax on in PA. I still owed $10798 on my 04 so my total financed out the door after all fees is $19236 @ 5.9%. I added GAP insurance so my payment is $355/month for 63 months.

Trading complicated this process conciderably! While I'm very pleased with my final deal I could not get the #'s others were paying outright as it would just knock my trade value below $15K. In essence I paid $27,800 w/18's with $18K for my trade before GM card rebate. Green Brook NJ may have done a bit better w/17's but I just couldn't live with 5 holes in my front facia on my brand new GTO from the stupid plate holder. If I didn't have to trade I would have flown to Ann Arbor,MI paid $24K - $2525 GM card for an INCREDIBLE price of $21,475 before TTL!!

I purchased my 04 during the massive rebate/GM card bonus sale in 12/04(page 101 GTO thread). I didn't even need a new car but the INSANE deals got me into a 15 mile GTO for $17,300 before TTL. I essentially drove this brand new performance car for 2 years for FREE!!(Thanks GM!!) All the while my $304 payment was accruing equity toward an 06 at 2.9%. There will NEVER be a deal like that again and there shouldn't be! Now I have a new car again with all the improvements at a decent payment and hopefully a little better resale. Only time will tell but it all hardly matters as the GTO is far and away the very BEST GM car I've ever owned. GOOD LUCK to all and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

-Bryan
    Black '90 McLaren Turbo Grand Prix
    Black '70 GTO 400 Stonecrusher 4 speed
    Red '65 GTO 389 Auto Convertible
  • droptopscarletdroptopscarlet Member Posts: 8
    I was looking at an automatic (don't be too hard on me, I have a club left foot) and it was under $27 and change and I have a GM Supplier Discount. The dealership wouldn't tell me if their discount was more or the GM discount. Of course, I didn't press them either. I test drove it and felt there was already a strut/suspension problem in the rear.
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    Does anyone know for sure what the Rebates and Incentives are in effect today, Jan. 3, in Arizona ? And when did the current ones start/end?
    Thanks in advance.
  • tripowergtotripowergto Member Posts: 83
    $1750 customer cash on remaining 06 GTO's through April. Red Tag ended 1/2/07
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    Based on the numbers I've seen there are over 4000 new GTOs still available to be sold. That's a 4 or 5 month supply. I'm sure a large number of those are automatics though.
  • wotnotwotnot Member Posts: 3
    well....I'm looking at a 2006 black GTO with 18's as we speak. There is indeed a 1750 deal on and they have included that in the quote. With employee discount, the best I can do on this car is 29,351. I'm in Texas. Does that seem high to you guys/ladies?
    Yes, it seems high, considering you can buy a new black/black M6 w/18's for 26988 on ebay
  • dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    You can not get a sunroof from the factory on a GTO correct? I would seriously consider one but the lack of a sunroof keeps me from getting one. Does anyone have any insight on this, because I have never seen one with a sunroof and I have to ask why?

Dennis P.
  • theericharris1theericharris1 Member Posts: 13
    Correct, a sunroof is not an option on the GTO. I thought I would miss it, but truthfully, I don't even think about it. You are missing out if a sunroof is holding you back.

However, a number of guys have installed the OEM sunroof from Holden. It's the Webasto Hollandia 710. Search on it at ls2gto.com and you will see pictures of it installed. Most are paying about $1,200 for the part/labor.
  • thesixtys4methesixtys4me Member Posts: 1
    I Purchased A New BLK/Blk GTO Automatic W/18"Wheels.At A Decent Cash Price Of $27,500.Del.1100Mi. To Fl.On It's 1st Trip It Suffered A Major Total Breakdown,Would Not Start.Flatbedded To An Inbred Georgia Dealership.Who Refused Me A Loaner Car,Even After GM Stepped In & Requested I Be Given One.We Borrowed A Car From A Friend & Returned Home.We Called The Dealership Daily,They ordered A New Computor For The car & The Replacement That Came In Was Defective Also.Finally after 7 Days We Drove Back 515 Miles & Picked Up The Car that Was Covered In Dried Mud From Roof To Wheels.They Reluctantly Did A Quick Wash On The Car,& We Drove It Uneventfully Back Home....Here We Sit Waiting To Hear From GM On Their GTO BuyBack Program.Their Verbal Stance Is The Car Is Eligible For Their Factory Buyback.
  • zq8zq8 Member Posts: 82
    If the new computer fixed it, why do you want a buy-back on it?
    sixties4you guy, no loaner car during that? that is bizarre. what slackers at that dealership. but then again you did go with that DNA test up front, possibly not the best way to establish a good customer relationship. hey, i'm just sayin.
    dried mud? were they dirt-tracking your car? ouch. that's gonna leave a mark! (did it?)
    on the bright side you got a fine price and wild story, great datapoints for this esteemed GTO prices/experience forum! and your price was for an automatic with 18s, and including gasguzzler tax? YOU DA MAN.
    now get out there and enjoy the car already why don't ya!?
    torque can heal your wounds. u
  • dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    yeah, where did all that mud come from???
  • teachermannteachermann Member Posts: 3
    yes, I'm looking for a used LS2 GTO. Here is the Bay Area you can get brand new '06 GTO's for less than dealer cost. Stevens Creek Pontiac - $33K sticker - buy any one of about 15 for $26K! So why am I seeing prices for used '05's for that much?
    hi teacherman. unless you own the dealership or are the business/contract manager there, you really cannot know the dealer cost for any of the new vehicles they sell. such is private contractual info between dealer & manufacturer.
    but that nitpick aside: $26k sounds like a great price for a new 06!
    as to why you are seeing similar prices for used 05s, i suppose that's because sellers can "dream" and ask any price they want.
    such is private contractual info between dealer & manufacturer

Just curious, but what's private about invoice - holdback? Are you suggesting that GM is making special secret deals with their dealers? If not, then dealer cost is relatively simple to determine. Any automotive website (including this one) will give you invoice price, manufacturer incentives, and holdback information.
    hey there NY Vinny.
    first i must mention the 4 back to back home runs. too bad the half hour of loudest-ever Y-S cheers were not broadcast by ESPN !
    and now to the subject at hand: i didn't say that either invoice or holdback are private. i said the vehicle cost to the dealer is private and is set by a private contract between dealer and manufacturer. YES, dealers do make these "special secret deals" with the manufacturer. There is nothing wrong with this - it is totally legit. Private contracts are indeed legal in USA.
    Typically the more cars the dealer sells in one year, the lower they can negotiate their per-vehicle dealer-cost for the next year. The actual dealer cost of a vehicle is known in some circles as the "dealer memo price".
    to get something here about the actual price of GTOs - anyone out there purchased a 2006 lately - please tell us what you paid? i continue to be astonished at the incredible quality & performance of my 05 GTO. I paid invoice price minus GM card $3000 for my 05: $27068.
    Elias:

As a long-suffering Mets fan, 4 back-to-back jacks versus the Yankees is like Christmas in April.

As to private pricing between manufacturers and individual dealers, I'm pretty skeptical that GM can charge different prices to different dealers for the same product. The auto industry is pretty heavily regulated by the Feds. I know that sales volume affects allocation of vehicles, but I think that pricing is an entirely different issue.

Even if GM can charge different prices to different dealers, I wouldn't even think of buying a car without seeing the invoice. Any dealer who refused to show me the invoice would not get my business.
    I hear ya, Vinny the Mets fan! I hope Pedro rehabs nicely and also that he buys a Pontiac GTO for a good price. (gotta relate this to GTO prices somehow).
    Invoice price is available via edmunds.com , so you can always see that. But as I've alleged, that's not the price the dealer really pays to the manufacturer. Thankfully private contracts in USA are not(yet) as regulated as you are apparently surmising.
    My info about this comes from an industry source who is most familiar with Ford/Mazda. GM could well have a different approach to these private contracts than Ford. Or maybe the situation/policies/private-contracts have changed since I last talked to my industry source a few years ago.
    I tried to pick up one of the few remaining GTOs in my area and the dealer acted like he was hanging on to a long lost Picasso or something. He was asking for MSRP minus rebate. He explained (ad nauseum) that this was one of the last of the breed. I replied that it was soon to be a two year old car that was discontinued due to poor sales and the inability to keep up with safety standards. However, I did agree that if he could verify that his was one of the last few to come off the assembly line, that it might have some collector value (in 25 years or so).

Since he thought the car was worth so much, I sent him the links for half a dozen new GTOs listed on EBay for thousands less than what he was asking. I figured he could buy 'em all and buy himself a nice 2008 G8 with the profits.

All that aside, I'm still looking for good prices if anyone has seen any...
  • teachermannteachermann Member Posts: 3
    I bought a new '06 with auto trans (tired of shifting gears!) from Conkle in Indiana for $28K (not incl. tax). Car is now at Lingenfelter being "modified!"
This discussion has been closed.