Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac GTO Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mparis1mparis1 Posts: 107
    where did you buy your o5 gto auto.... igot price of $33500. 00 in brooklyn...who should i go to see...tanks....michael
  • reuel3reuel3 Posts: 114
    Please do not ask for or provide the names of dealership staff in the forums as your posts will be deleted. The policy is clearly stated in red writing at the bottom of the page under the "Post a Message" heading.

Thank you for your cooperation.
  • oldboboldbob Posts: 41
    Go to Sun Pontiac in Wantaugh LI or Arnold Pontiac in West Babylon. I would use www.gmbuypower.com to check inventory and ask for a quote.
    The auto trans cost is with gas guz. tax of
    $1300 but minus $695 for 6spd. Another guy told me that he paid $32500 for the auto trans car at Sun Pontiac in Wantaugh L.I. I can't give you the name of the sales person he dealt with, but in any case the sales manager has to approve the price, so I guess you can deal with anyone. You might ask for the internet sales person.
    hello again...i am confused..does that mean for my automatic ..they will charge me $695. more than what you paid....32118 t 695=$32813.00 ??? ...you bought yours at Arnold pontiac westbury, right....
    Contact both Arnold Pontiac in West Babylon and Sun Pontiac in Wantaugh and make your best deal.
    My car=2005 gto with 6 speed@32118 from Arnold.
    Another guy said=2005 gto with auto trans@32500 from Sun Pontiac.
  • bar_xxbar_xx Posts: 8
    The 2004 & 2005 comes standard with an automatic transmission. Because of its excess fuel consumption with the AT the Fed. Govt. charges a guzzle tax. The tax is as follows
    2004 model $1000.00
    2005 model $1300.00
    This amount is part of the MSRP.
    However if you order the 6sp manual tranmission which is a $695.00 option for both years, this meets the govt. rating for fuel consumption. Therefore by ordering the 6 sp you save $305.00 on an 04 and $605.00 on an 05. Thus the cheaper price on cars with this option.
    does anyone know the dealer cost for the front nose inserts for 2005 GTO....what about the existing {2} front grilles ...? what should i receive from the dealer if i return them in the exchange? just the grilles from the sport paclkage thatis all....thanks everyone...
    WHAT ABOUT THIS NEW RECYCLE TIRE FEE IN NEW YORK STATE....what is this about??? thanks again
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    I think you're referring to the autocross grille inserts. Those run $200-$225 through the dealership's parts department. Bear in mind that the front bumper cover needs to be removed in order to install or remove them - kind of a PITA.

--Robert
    thanks for the info... is that with installation? what is the total cost i should deal with??
    also, one last thing ......the original grille parts [2}...should i sell them part to dealer?include in the transfer price? or just throew them in the trunk?
    SHOULD BE GETTING 2005 GTO this week
    THANKS ....AGAIN...EVERYONE HERE. great site..great information
    The $200-$225 cost is just parts, not install. Figure a couple of hours of labor, at whatever the dealer's body shop rate is, to install, and make sure they don't break any of the clips on the front bumper cover. As to the old grilles, they are only really useful to someone who has broken them due to an accident or whatever. Having said that, I wouldn't let the dealer just keep thsm unless they give you some discount ($50? $25?) off the package cost. You can always sell 'em on eBay to somebody...

--Robert
  • jontyreesjontyrees Posts: 159
    Completely different story for me in Austin TX at Champion. Went in on Friday around 5.30pm, had a nice chat with their Internet sales guy, then went for a test drive, during which he told me that on that particular stretch of road, his buddy took it up to xxxmph on another test drive - "I knew he would". I told him I was definitely interested, but that my wife would have to come by for a drive and to see if the car fit her, (she's 5'2", and it's a manual). "No problem - want to take it home? You can keep it overnight if you like"

They were great - we liked it and had them bring in one in our color preference at the same price. Just a good allaround buying experience. Plus they didn't give me a hard time about the crease my wife put in the rim of the test car on a bank drive through curb - doh!
  • rob999rob999 Posts: 233
    Grrrrr.

I'm considering trading my current car, and I've been interested in the GTO for a while, so today I decided to go to a dealer (on Golf Road, Schaumburg, IL) during my lunch hour for a test drive. (I'm a middle-aged guy, dressed conservatively / business casual, and driving a late model car.) I parked right next to the front door and was looking at a GTO parked just outside the entrance. A sales guy popped out about 5 seconds later and asked if I wanted anything. Told him I was interested in test-driving a 6-speed GTO. Immediately he started coming up with excuses like: "this is a PERFORMANCE car - we normally don't do test drives" and "well, are you going to buy TODAY" ? He wouldn't even let me drive one of the left-over 2004 cars.

What a bunch of crap! Before I bought our Saab the sales guy gave me the keys and let me have the car for the afternoon. I probably could've gone into any import showroom where cars are 2-3 times as expensive as the GTO and would have been allowed a test drive in a heartbeat.

I might've expected this attitude when the GTO first came out last year and dealers were tacking on $3,000 to MSRP, but now we're talking about 2004-model cars with significant incentives.

Have any of you others experienced a similar attitude lately?
  • You've hit on two of the issues that have plagued this car from day one. Dealer price gouging and having to beg for test drives. I ran into this last summer and it sounds like it's still a problem with too many dealers today. Pontiac dealers seem to just suck.

You can either go back to the same store and ask for the new car sales manager, ream him about the salesman, and see how he reacts or find another store. Unfortunately my bad experience was at the dealer closest to my house.

I'm considering pulling the trigger on an '05 in the fall but gas prices have me wondering. I don't think we'll see it under $2/gal ever again and $4 or $5 is not unthinkable down the road.

Another thing, make sure you're comfortable with the trunk, it's TINY!
  • gunitgunit Posts: 469
    Rob999,

I just bought a new 2005 Impluse blue metallic GTO and took it home today. The dealer was very nice to me. Had no problem offering me a test drive and were very friendly. I am in my early 30's and was dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt, LOL! No attitude whatsover and no pressure to buy. I bought anyway, LOL! I even had my 2 yr old son with me, LOL! They offered to watch him while I test drove the car, VERY NICE of them. Probably just a bad dealer or salesman you ran into.
  • gunitgunit Posts: 469
    midwesttrader,

Yes the trunk is TINY, but still fits my son's McLaren stroller and some bags, good enough for us. His car seat fits MUCH BETTER in the GTO then it does in the Mustang. Gto has roomier backseat then Mustang. that was a must for me. By the same token the trunk is bigger on the mustang. I need the room in the backseat. Very nice car.... Very awesome exhaust V8 sound.. almost sounds like they have glasspack mufflers on there.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,677
    Make sure you visit our regular Pontiac GTO discussion to talk about the vehicle's features and ownership experiences.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

yes some dealers in new york the same crap........"no test drive because it had "performance tires"..... no test drive...."dead batteries"............please stop the crap.............finally bougt one in brooklyn,ny he ad to get it from new jersey............knew nothing about the cat...had to teach him to get a grille inserts..............afterwards he admitted too much bother with such a machine and will not orde anmymore...wow.....no wonder the GTO IS DEAD.
    DROVE IT 2 DAYS NOW.....................WHAT A MACHINE.EVEN HOLE -SHOTTED A NEW DODGE VIPER....just keep the tractiopn control off,,,,,,,,,,,theguy wanted to know what car it was ...said it is a GTO...HE NEVER SAW ONE..............PONTIAC CERTAINLY BLEW IT.....
    I can attest to the fact that the batteries on the GTO are weak. Mine on my replacement car was dead when I went to pick the car up. It also seemd to be weeping... took it out when I stored my car. Less than a month later, it was leaking on my workbench. Just picked up an Optima Red Top 134R battery (friend of a friend drives a battery truck all day, got a great price) which I'll be putting in my GTO tomorrow.

Regarding the lack of test drives, I would have immediately asked to speak to the General Manager. That attitude is ridiculous, especially on the '04s. A couple of possible reasons why they may not have wanted to do the test-drive:

1) Today was the 31st. They wanted to do any deals ASAP so they could book them this month. Thought you might be a window-shopper and not a serious buyer, so they didn't want to take the time/blew you off.
    2) There are very few 6-speed '04's left on dealer lots. A4 cars are not a problem...

Of course, you can just go to another dealership. I wouldn't let this one bad experience turn you away from considering this car. Don't know if calling Pontiac and complaining would, but nothing beats buying the car elsewhere, and stopping by to show the new car to the salesman who blew you off :-)

--Robert
  • rob999rob999 Posts: 233
    I've not written off the GTO by any means. There are plenty of Pontiac dealers in the suburban Chicago area - I just won't go to back to Napleton / Schaumburg. I've never experienced anything like yesterday at any other dealer, period, especially the "are you going to buy TODAY" crap. He offered to let me actually "SIT" in the showroom car (wow!), but I was so pissed at the time I just turned and walked.
This discussion has been closed.