Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac GTO Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• eliaselias Posts: 1,936
    sixties4you guy, no loaner car during that? that is bizarre. what slackers at that dealership. but then again you did go with that DNA test up front, possibly not the best way to establish a good customer relationship. hey, i'm just sayin.
    dried mud? were they dirt-tracking your car? ouch. that's gonna leave a mark! (did it?)
    on the bright side you got a fine price and wild story, great datapoints for this esteemed GTO prices/experience forum! and your price was for an automatic with 18s, and including gasguzzler tax? YOU DA MAN.
    now get out there and enjoy the car already why don't ya!?
    torque can heal your wounds. u
  • dat2dat2 Posts: 242
    yeah, where did all that mud come from???
  • yes, I'm looking for a used LS2 GTO. Here is the Bay Area you can get brand new '06 GTO's for less than dealer cost. Stevens Creek Pontiac - $33K sticker - buy any one of about 15 for $26K! So why am I seeing prices for used '05's for that much?
    hi teacherman. unless you own the dealership or are the business/contract manager there, you really cannot know the dealer cost for any of the new vehicles they sell. such is private contractual info between dealer & manufacturer.
    but that nitpick aside: $26k sounds like a great price for a new 06!
    as to why you are seeing similar prices for used 05s, i suppose that's because sellers can "dream" and ask any price they want.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Posts: 772
    such is private contractual info between dealer & manufacturer

Just curious, but what's private about invoice - holdback? Are you suggesting that GM is making special secret deals with their dealers? If not, then dealer cost is relatively simple to determine. Any automotive website (including this one) will give you invoice price, manufacturer incentives, and holdback information.
    hey there NY Vinny.
    first i must mention the 4 back to back home runs. too bad the half hour of loudest-ever Y-S cheers were not broadcast by ESPN !
    and now to the subject at hand: i didn't say that either invoice or holdback are private. i said the vehicle cost to the dealer is private and is set by a private contract between dealer and manufacturer. YES, dealers do make these "special secret deals" with the manufacturer. There is nothing wrong with this - it is totally legit. Private contracts are indeed legal in USA.
    Typically the more cars the dealer sells in one year, the lower they can negotiate their per-vehicle dealer-cost for the next year. The actual dealer cost of a vehicle is known in some circles as the "dealer memo price".
    to get something here about the actual price of GTOs - anyone out there purchased a 2006 lately - please tell us what you paid? i continue to be astonished at the incredible quality & performance of my 05 GTO. I paid invoice price minus GM card $3000 for my 05: $27068.
    Elias:

As a long-suffering Mets fan, 4 back-to-back jacks versus the Yankees is like Christmas in April.

As to private pricing between manufacturers and individual dealers, I'm pretty skeptical that GM can charge different prices to different dealers for the same product. The auto industry is pretty heavily regulated by the Feds. I know that sales volume affects allocation of vehicles, but I think that pricing is an entirely different issue.

Even if GM can charge different prices to different dealers, I wouldn't even think of buying a car without seeing the invoice. Any dealer who refused to show me the invoice would not get my business.
    I hear ya, Vinny the Mets fan! I hope Pedro rehabs nicely and also that he buys a Pontiac GTO for a good price. (gotta relate this to GTO prices somehow).
    Invoice price is available via edmunds.com , so you can always see that. But as I've alleged, that's not the price the dealer really pays to the manufacturer. Thankfully private contracts in USA are not(yet) as regulated as you are apparently surmising.
    My info about this comes from an industry source who is most familiar with Ford/Mazda. GM could well have a different approach to these private contracts than Ford. Or maybe the situation/policies/private-contracts have changed since I last talked to my industry source a few years ago.
    I tried to pick up one of the few remaining GTOs in my area and the dealer acted like he was hanging on to a long lost Picasso or something. He was asking for MSRP minus rebate. He explained (ad nauseum) that this was one of the last of the breed. I replied that it was soon to be a two year old car that was discontinued due to poor sales and the inability to keep up with safety standards. However, I did agree that if he could verify that his was one of the last few to come off the assembly line, that it might have some collector value (in 25 years or so).

Since he thought the car was worth so much, I sent him the links for half a dozen new GTOs listed on EBay for thousands less than what he was asking. I figured he could buy 'em all and buy himself a nice 2008 G8 with the profits.

All that aside, I'm still looking for good prices if anyone has seen any...
  • I bought a new '06 with auto trans (tired of shifting gears!) from Conkle in Indiana for $28K (not incl. tax). Car is now at Lingenfelter being "modified!"
  • Let them keep their picasso. They're obviously running a museum. That's why it's still sitting on their lot two years later.
    I've been thinking about getting a car drop shipped directly to Lingenfelter for years. It hasn't worked out to this point because I've always lived too far away for it to be practical. I may pursue it next time around.

It looks like Conkle only has two GTOs left: a black one and another one that they're asking $56K for. I'm not interested in black and I can only guess that the other is modified in some way...
    I can't blame the dealer for trying the old "Collector's item" game, but when a car is sitting on your lot for two whole years, it might be time to change tactics...
  • stormdavystormdavy Posts: 83
    Just yesterday I saw an almost-hidden black 2004 automatic w/ about 10K mi in the back of a dealer's (Tom Sparks) lot. I keep thinking I'll buy one of these (w/ manual trans.)now that they are a few years old and just have something more fun to drive than my 1994 Audi! Concerns about how bad the gas mileage is, and the strut problems: are they fixable or would it be an ongoing issue.
  • ssguy69ssguy69 Posts: 13
    I strongly suggest you avoid it. A 2004 with 10K and it's sitting in the back of the dealership? You didn't say whether it was actually for sale but the dots don't seem to connect. From research done online, it seems the 'tire shredding' and suspension problem was corrected for 2006 models. I live in NYC and waiting until Aug 2008 to see if I can get a dealer here to let one go for $28000.
  • mparis1mparis1 Posts: 107
    StormDavy:

my cyclone grey GTO 2005 17,000 miles will be ready next year for sale...keep me in mind....

any other local GTO guys on line here..? :confuse:
    whats new with the TIRE SHEDDING PROBLEM ? :confuse:
    any local speed shop COMPUTER TUNERS AROUND? :confuse:
  • There is a new red/red 06 auto 18" in northeast ohio Simms Buick Pontiac. red tagged as their last one for $27,900. If anyone is interested. I noticed it Friday 06, 2007 when i picked up my 05cgm6 from a service appointment.
  • I've posted this before, but I got a nwe '06 with auto trans for $28K fron Conkle in Kokomo, IN. That was arranged by Lingenfelter - where the car is now going through its transformation into a Revenge Lingenfelter Commemorative Edition.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    There were no "fixes" applied for 2005 and 2006 model years relating to "strut rub". They may have paid closer attention to alignment (including cradle alignment) from the factory, but any 2004-2006 GTO equipped with the factory 17" wheels, and 245 width tires, is at risk of having its tires impact the struts. As posted elsewhere, this is likely due to alignment issues which may be exacerbated by blown factory radius rod bushings as well as collapsed strut mounts. Aftermarket fix is the only solution for the first problem, and will go a long way to address the second. GM's fix of max positive camber will definitely shorten your tire life by wearing down the outer "shoulders" of the tire quicker.

Regarding the pricing on new GTO's, they are at most a year and a half old, not two (since the first 2006 models did not arrive on dealer lots until December of 2005/January of 2006). Pontiac built extra 2006's (~14k of them - Monaro production ended nearly six months before GTO production) because they knew they wouldn't have anything to replace them with until the G8 hits early next year/they knew the GTO wouldn't meet the 2007 airbag specifications.

Furthermore, with only ~600 GTO's remaining, and maybe 125-150 of those being manuals, it has come down to a seller's market. If you're in the market to get one, if you can find the color combo you want new and can afford it, now's the time.

For those wanting a good deal, GM did put many of its field reps into GTO's resulting in a large number of slightly-used (3k-6k mile) GTOs out there (sold to GM dealers only at special auctions).

The two most important things you can do if you're considering any used car are:

1) proper test drive/inspection (looking for issues)
    2) having a GM dealer run a GMVIS report on the vehicle (requires the VIN number). This will tell you the delivering dealer, date of delivery, and any service-related work done to the car, warranty or no. The last thing you want to be doing is buying SEP: someone else's problem...

Regarding mileage, no six-speed GTO owner should complain about "poor" gas mileage (unless you keep your foot buried in the throttle, and/or are driving 100+ miles/day). EPA says 21 city/29 hwy... more like 18/26 in the real world - heck, even my A4 '04 averages 18 city/21 hwy, better than my wife's 2004 GMC Envoy w/I6...

--Robert
    LS1GTO moderator
  • usa2usa2 Posts: 14
    I have an internet quote of $29,000 + TTL with 0%/60 months. It is a torrid red/ black/ 18"/ M6.

I am checking for strut replacement.

Can anyone do a GMVIS on VIN#: 6G2VX12U86L825371

Deal or no deal? ;)
    Thanks for clearing up whether the strut rub problem was corrected on the GTO. So currently there are the following solutions:
    1) buy a GTO with the 18" wheels with the p235 tires,
    2) Have GM do it's max positive camber adjustment only to prematurely wear the outer edges of the p245 tires,
    3) Refit with aftermarket equipment.

In the end a typical GM experience that will cost money no matter how one approaches it. I want a GTO but the common sense side is telling me not to bother.
    I don't know if anyone on here has access to GMVIS... might want to swing by the service department of the dealership (bring a box of donuts or something), and ask them to run it.

My guess is that the car is outside the range of VINs that require strut replacement. The last built car was completed on June 7 2006 and it had an 838xxx VIN. Your 825xxx VIN is probably a mid-May build; the defective strut issue afflicts cars built from mid-January of 2006 until May 4/5, so, assuming my assumptions are correct, it's unlikely you've got the bad struts...
    Well, it's up to you if you choose to buy the car. I will say that, IMHO, the GTO is not a typical GM car. The quality of the interior materials/design, and the build quality, is better than any other GM car I've owned. My car has only seen the dealership for a few minor issues (i.e. broken gas cap) and I've had some other issues (door lock buttons, scratched speaker grille, trunk lock mechanism alignment issue) taken care of - but nothing serious in almost 22k miles in 2 1/2 years of ownership.

Suspension mods to fix the weak points would cost between $120 (SuperPro Radius Rod Bushings - I bought them from http://www.autoformgroup.com) and $240 (http://www.peddersusa.com). Pedders also makes HD strut mounts and sells replacement strut bearings - $38.79 and $34.71, ea. (and bear in mind you need two of each). So, for about $375 in parts + maybe an hour's worth of labor (the radius rod bushings you can do in your driveway if you're at all mechanically inclined) + an alignment , you'd be pretty-well set.

If you've driven the car and haven't fallen in love with it, then maybe it isn't the car for you. But if you love the driving experience but are afraid of the possible things that may go wrong, well, my experiences have been overall positive/I love the car - and I know I'm not alone (there are a fair number of new GTO's which have rarely seen the dealer - as well as the occasional car that lives there - I had that experience with my first GTO, unfortunately, but GM (eventually) took care of me...
  • zq8zq8 Posts: 82
    That VIN IS within the bad srtut range. Do not know if they have been replaced or not.
  • usa2usa2 Posts: 14
    Thanks Robert. I got the scoop on the other forum. It needs struts. Maybe that is why the price is so appealing?
    If they had this car on their lot the whole time (i.e. they didn't dealer-trade), it's their own laziness in not keeping up with the paperwork. Make them order them ASAP (quote the Y-6099 or whatever the field action # is) so they get replaced ASAP/don't drive the car much (or at all if the struts fail, otherwise you risk contaminating other suspension parts/brakes et. al.)
    I salivate everytime I see a GTO, but I don't have the tolerance for build issues-even if I can correct it, I shouldn't have to-when it's a brand new car. If GM fixes the issue under warranty or reimburses me for expenses to correct the problem, then I can see myself in a GTO very shortly. All carmakers have duds and quality issues, but GM and it's not-so-great quality reputation legacy are too well known for something like this with the GTO. I wonder if this was an issue for the Monaro or does it only affect models outfitted for the U.S. market? I'll figure out what to do very shortly. When you indicate "GM (eventually) took care of me...", could you explain further how so?
  • ehasleyehasley Posts: 18
    Hey all, I just sealed the deal on a Red on RED 2006 GOAT with... 2,041 miles! It's certified used to boot, which is amazing because I picked it up for $25,000 before a trade. I've been doing research on this car and I know about the Strut issue. The build date of my car is 07-07-06 so i don't believe it is an issue with mine. The only draw back is that it's five hours away in Virginia haha but the deal was too good to pass up. If any of my fellow GOAT owners (God it feels good to say that) have any comments or tips I would appreciate it.

Thanks-
    Evan
  • ehasleyehasley Posts: 18
    EDIT: I think I have the build date wrong. the VIN is 820xxx. Does anyone have an approx. build date?
    since the last car was built on June 6, 2006 and had an 838xxx VIN. Yours is probably right around the time that the blown strut issue was discovered, but the best way to determine is to have any GM dealer pull a GMVIS report on your car. The GMVIS report shows the ordering dealer and any warranty and service work that was done on the car - if yours is susceptible to the strut issue, it will have a GM program listed - if you see that mentioned, but no strut replacements under warranty, the work hasn't been done. Oh yeah, the GMVIS also shows the "build date" but, for our GTO's, this is NOT the date the car was assembled in Australia, but instead the date the spoiler was installed when the car got off the boat in California...

GM put a ton of field reps into GTO's in July-August-September of 2006... those cars got between 2k and 6k miles on them, and were subsequently sold in a GM dealer-only auction... your car might be one of those, based upon its mileage. GMVIS is also useful because it will show you if the car was administratively bought back for any reason (someone in Waco, TX ended up with my first :lemon: GTO, unfortunately for them...)
This discussion has been closed.