Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche 911

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Well I'm an expert on colors. :mad: :confuse:

I have a great looking Seal Grey that I'm now on the verge of trading for a Speed Yellow. I would have gone with Speed Yellow last year if I followed my instincts (and daughter's wishes). But I went limp and rationalized that the more conservative Seal Grey would be better for a 911.

The lesson is: get what you like and the hell with other's opinions. (That said, Seal Grey is a little less ubiquitous than silver, and Atlas Grey even less so.)
  • To ds2k1

Thanks for the information...where are you located?
    I am hoping to get 5-6% off my car and I am in no rush so I hope that gives me some leverage.
    Do Porsche dealers have Internet sales people? I thought that was for other lower end cars?
  • gord1gord1 Posts: 11
    I am considering the purchase of a new 911 (2006 or 2007).

I plan to use it sparily, probably 8,000 miles per year or so, and would like to keep it 10 plus years.

Can anyone tell me what I might expect to pay per year or in total over the 10 years for maintanence expenses?

Do you think the amount would be appreciably higher than the maintanence expense for say, a Corvette.
  • Appreciate it H1.

From a prior post of yours I thought you also might have a sense as to what the upper limit age range would be for kids in the backseat before they might start pummeling one another senseless due to too cramped quarters?

Also, anyone have a rec for best radar? Someone told me Calibre(sp?) was the top of the line. I'm asking only out of curiosity of course!
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "From a prior post of yours I thought you also might have a sense as to what the upper limit age range would be for kids in the backseat before they might start pummeling one another senseless due to too cramped quarters?"

My daughters are 8 and 11. The 11 year old is about 4'9" ands sits behind my 5'1" wife. The younger is about 4'2" and sits behind me (5'7"). I would say that they have about another 2-3" of leg room to spare before it would start to become a case of child abuse. If you and/or your wife are much over 6', the rear seats will be tight for anyone in the back for longer trips. This is one of the few instances where being vertically challenged pays off. ;)
  • bsumnerbsumner Posts: 39
    I have a C4 with Midnight Blue/Sand Beige and the only problem I have with the colors is that it draws too much attention . . . a very good looking combo (the driver only detracts from its looks!).

-BS
  • dweiserdweiser Posts: 288
    In my opinion anyway. No spare in the 997 911 is the why. TPMS in my 2006 is spot on! I hear it may be standard on the 2007s.
    I moved to the mountains of western NC from Raleigh actually (pre-Porsche). Haven't been back once since.
    :)
    It does get GOD-AWFUL HOT and HUMID in Raleigh. I'm sorry I can't help you other than to say I was torn between the coupe (cleaner lines) and the Cab (more versatile); very happy I got the Cab. I'm sure there will be days even in the mountains when it's just too hot to put the top down. I guess you have to ask yourself how many Spring, Summer (on the not so hot & humid days - there are always cool nights right?), Fall, and even Winter days (I had my top down many Winter afternoons this year - get the heated seats option) will you be able to go topless?
  • mafitchmafitch Posts: 10
    I thought you might say that. I have thought extensively about the issue at hand. I too enjoy the clean lines of the coupe and the 10K savings. However, I know myself and regardless of the fact that I won't always get the topless fun of the cab I would kick myself in the end for not biting the bullet and getting it. After all, these are about getting what you want right? Thanks for your response and may I ask which dealer you used?
    I guess I just feel the Cab gives a-l-m-o-s-t everything the coupe does plus the added dimension of the roof disappearing. The cabin is very sheltered (from wind and outside noise) by the way with the top down and extremely quiet inside with the top up. Visibility may suffer slightly with the top up compared to the coupe. Local dealers - Asheville, NC wouldn't move off MSRP back in August and Greenville, SC had no build allotments for months. I bought mine from Paramount Motors in Hickory (on I-40). They were o.k. to deal with and they were willing to discuss a discount. If you contact them, please mention my name, Don Weiser.
    Hope this helps.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,030
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have had to replace a car key, which ended up costing over $200 or $300. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, April 2, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, the cost to replace your key along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• bedav1bedav1 Posts: 1
    Just bought a C4S Cab. I was just curious as to how people who live in states that have winters care for their tops when it is too cold to wash it themselves. The manuals say keep it away from car washes. What are the choices?
  • kyingkying Posts: 61
    To: sdbui

My wife has a 150-mile commute each day, 5 days a week, over the "grapevine" (a 40-mile stretch of one of the steepest and curviest Interstates in the U.S.) from Castaic to Bakersfield. She alternates between a 2004 911 Targa and a 2001 Audi TT. She puts about 17000 miles on the Targa (and the TT too) each year. The only cost for the Targa so far was the 15000-mile maintenance, and it consumes only 1.5 quart of oil very 15000 miles (considered very little). We bought the 911 for her commute and expected it to be a workhorse. And it has been! :)
  • hotrod88hotrod88 Posts: 17
    Anyone try adding sound proofing to cut out tire noise?
    Is there an access panel to the inside of the fender?
    Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Rod...

Atlas Grey, 911 S, standard black leather, electric seats,
    heated seats, multi-function steering wheel, TPMS, colored wheel caps - delivery expected June 25, 2006.
  • garyg5garyg5 Posts: 15
    help me out guys. I am a first time 997/911 Coupe buyer. I know all the options i want, but have questions/concerns about the wheels. I have ordered-preliminary- the 19" Sport Design Wheel. However i saw it at the dealer for the first time and even though i like the multi-spoke design, the color of the wheel looks sort of "plastic", painted, rather than aluminum or brushed? I can change the order and seek your opinions. Rather than make the mistake from the get go, i would like some feed back from those of you who have been there, done that....
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    I see ads regularly in Autoweek from various Porsche dealers. If I could pickup a relatively base '06 997 at a discount I'd be a happy guy. (Note to Habitat1: you were right and I wrong about Porsche resale. It is so good that it may make little sense to try to find a good used 997.)

Apparently PNA doesn't have much of a penalty for a dealer selling out his area. Apparently there is even a delivery mechanism whereby if you buy a car say in FL you can have it prepped for delivery and delivered to you by your local dealer. In December '05 I saw a Carrera GT that was bought in FL being prepped for delivery in NH to the guy who went from being a tie salesman at Bloomingdales to putting horseheads on everyone's clothing.

But, given the need for service and warranty assistance is there a downside to picking up a new 997 from a distant dealer? Or, is it a bigger problem if you buy the car from the local dealer with the worst CSI and then bring it to the local guy with the best service department? Or is warranty work a profit center and the dealers are grateful for it?
  • markgc4smarkgc4s Posts: 23
    I bought my first Porsche in Dec. 2005 and am anxiously awaiting delivery. I ordered a 2006 C4S in Atlas Grey. Can anyone tell me what the waiting time is usually like? It seems to me my dealer is lacking in the communications dep't. I was told that I had a Feb build date and that it should ship out in March. Now its April 3rd and still nothing. So I was wondering what type of experiences other Porsche buyers may have had. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    My Porsche dealer showed me a schedule for my car, which includes, when the order was received (customer order), all the options, when building will start, when finished, when shipping. Heck, if you called my dealer (Dayton, Ohio) he may even look it up for you. Maybe the C4S takes longer. Best of luck to ya.
    Thnx for replying hotrod!! How long from the date your car was built to the time it was shipped and then received?
    Ordered on February 20, 2006.
    Build start May 10.
    Build finish May 25.
    Me sitting in it June 25.
    So roughly a month between completion until pickup.
    I think that the boat ride is less than 2 weeks.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 491
    most dealers today have different books for sales department and service department. So even though you didn't buy your car at Dealer "A" but their service department will want your business.
    There was a brief strike/slow-down BUT your dealer gets updates weekly on the status code of every car he has on order so he should know e-x-a-c-t-l-y where your car is in the process. I'd go visit your dealer and demand to know exactly where your car is in the process and tell (not ask) him you want to receive updates at least weekly.
    Thanks guys...I appreciate the info. I will be paying my dealer a visit this weekend.
  • Ditto on the thanks to hotrod and dweiser. I'm going to do the same schedule check on my new C4S. Mark G's got me nervous. Mine's also Atlas Grey. Where are you MG? I'm in NC.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Am I the only one thinking that Mark's dealer has either given up the allocation to another dealer or never even ordered it?
    Hey...I'm in NJ. Couldn't wait for the weekend, so called my dealer today. Car has left Germany and should be here within 2-3 weeks. Can't wait! Has anyone had the XPEL clear bra installed on their Porsche? Any feedback?
    Hey blckislandguy...I was thinking the same thing, but the dealer confirmed that it left the port and I should have it no later than 4/25.
  • garyg5garyg5 Posts: 15
    can you guys offer any suggestions on wheel options on a 2006, 997/911? any opinions on the Sport Wheel Design??
  • Maybe it's just me, being a jealous Newbie having only recently ordered my first 911 (C4S), but it strikes me that there are a lot of "sporty" looking cars out there (not true sports cars mind you) that are attempting to imitate various of the 997 lines. Some Hondas, etc.???
    I think the Sport Wheel Design is the way to go...thats what I ordered on my 2006 C4S. Not a big fan of the other designs.