Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche 911

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "I have read in Motor Trend (I know,...) that the full leather interior is almost a necessity."

Full leather looks very nice, but at $3,400, it doesn't "look" as nice as the $2,500 sport exhaust "sounds" in my opinion. I wonder if Motor Trend's opinion that it is almost a necessity was rendered on the old 996 interior rather than the new 997? When I was in the dealership, they tried to tempt me with a leftover 2005 911TT Cab (996) at a very hefty discount. But even with the full leather in that car, it was two rungs down the ladder from the interior of the 997, IMO. They need to sell the 996 Turbo to someone who hasn't seen the insides of a 997.

Other than the Nav, Bose and Heated Seats (mandatory for a Cab), most of my other options are performance oriented. You can really get carried away on the cosmetic options if you start checking everything like custom colors, painted this and leather that, etc. When I was considering a Boxster S late last summer instead of the 911, there was a 2006 GT Silver/Terracotta Full Leather one that was loaded up with other options for an MSRP of $76,000 +/- at an Ohio dealership. Cancelled custom order. It's still sitting there 5 months later, and I suspect will have to be sold at $5k+ under invoice (I was offered $2k under last September).

But wait, before I correctly get called on it, the major factor for my possible trade is to go from Seal Grey to Speed Yellow (using my daughters as an excuse). So I guess I shouldn't question anyone else's choice of cosmetic upgrades. ;)
  • td2td2 Posts: 3
    I owned a 2004 996 turbo, I drive it for 2 years (5000+)miles a year and I never had a mechanical problem. The interior quality was horrible though, especially compared to the 997. I am sure that a 997 turbo will be bullet proof and fast, I have one on order. TD
  • I swear this is not a troll. I realize that this is a 911 Forum but consider this. Maserati has an ad in this morning's WSJ for their four door Maserati Quartroporte for 109K. The car looks great, you won't see 20 of them at your next dental convention, has a neat 6 speed stick shift with paddles, a somewhat peaky engine, and gets good reviews. While 109K is more than a base 997, by the time guys like habitat1 get through with their order form they are in 6 digits anyway so there isn't much difference. Just a thought.

Speaking of paddles, this week's Automotive News reports that Maser finds the paddle shift a hard sell at that price point because everyone (i.e., the Bentley GT buyer) wants an automatic. Incidentally, the Automotive News is THE trade journal for anyone in the industry. For car nuts like us it is like General Westmoreland being put on the North Vietnames Army publications distribution list.
    There are a lot of $100k+ alternatives to consider if you are that uncertain of what you are looking for.

The 911 is a sports car. That is what I wanted. That it happens to hold my kids in the dimunitive back seat helped justify $35-40k premium over the Boxster S. There really weren't that many true sports car alternatives out there. I drove the $95k Maserati Spyder. Not as quick as the 911, doesn't handle as well as my former $32k Honda S2000, no back seat for the kids, and depreciates like crazy. I do not consider the new Aston Martin V8 a sports car, but rather a sporty GT.

You appear to looking more for a long distance highway cruiser than a sports car. I could rattle off 10 cars you should consider, ranging from the Aston, to the SL500/SL55, to my personal super sedan favorite, the V10 BMW M5 (which will be available with a 6 speed in several months). But the Maserati Quatroporte would NOT be on my list. EVER.

You have me by about a dozen years, so I know you are old enough to remember the old Quatroporte. Maserati's answer to the BMW M6 with two extra doors. It was a piece of junk. You got all the fun of Italian maintenance problems without any of the real performance. One poor guy I worked with in 1982 bought one. Don't remember exactly what he paid for it, but I remember he sold it about 18 months later for well less than 50% of what he paid. You couldn't give them away. It just about broke him.

"While 109K is more than a base 997, by the time guys like habitat1 get through with their order form they are in 6 digits anyway so there isn't much difference. Just a thought."

Wrong. There is a HUGE difference. While a loaded 911 and Maseratti may cost about the same up front, I can just about guarantee you that the 911 - a perennial leader in resale value - will be worth significantly more than the Maseratti in 2,3,4,5+ years. After I went to drive the $95k Spyder last September, I was called back with an offer for a pristine one year old one with 9,000 miles for $58k. Do the math.

Want the cheapest alternative? Pony up $195k for a real Ferrari 430, rather than their downscale division's Q-porte. Drive it for a couple of years. Sell it for damn near what you paid for it. But don't drive it more than 4,000 miles a year. If you actually want a sports car you can drive, you'll be back looking at the 911. Alternatively, if you want 4 doors, a BMW M5 or even 550i 6-speed will get you a lot more pleasure than the pain of a Masserati.
  • Habitat1, yep, I agree with every word. You're right: initial pricing is not to be confused with life cycle cost, of which depreciation can be the largest component.
  • bhubhu Posts: 1
    I'm Back. After a 4.5 year hiatus from the great pleasure of owning a 911 Cabriolet, today I picked up a new Arctic Silver 997 C4 Cab from Danbury Porsche in CT. It feels like all is right with the world again. In 2001, I traded in my 1999 996 Cab for an ML500 when we had our daughter. Lived in the city, so we only needed one car. Last year, we moved to CT, and I got a GX470 for my wife and I got stuck driving the unbelievably problematic ML. I would have stayed with Mercedes for family cars and sedans if their quality-to-value ratio didn't drop 10 leaps below Lexus over the years. Before yeasterday, I had been searching for a new car for literally 4 months. I was indifferent to the whole experience as I was looking at Audi A8, A6, BMW 5-series AWD, Lexus LS430, etc...I was even looking at a 3-series convertible as recently as last week, (I know I just lost my cred with 98% of you here,) since I thought a convertible would be a lot more fun. I was so far into the deal as to have the trade-in all negotiated and my insurance sent in. Overall, a very indecisive shopping experience. Yesterday, my wife suggested that I should probably get a 4WD instead of a convertible, which made sense considering it is winter in CT/NYC. So I started driving down to the BMW dealer to pick up a 5-series AWD though I was indifferent to the prospect of buying and driving a new car, which should have been fun for any guy that loves cars. By some act of the universe, I ended up driving past the BMW dealership over to Danbury Porsche at about 3pm on Friday to revisit a 2002 996 C4 Cab (17,000 miles - $59,000)...which was from a previous non-serious visit a few weeks back. Well, after driving the pre-owned 911, I realized once again that there is no substitute. Covertible and 4WD!! And a car that has any driver grinning like a chessire cat.

In my state of perpetual grin after driving the pre-owned 911, I took a peak at a new 997 C4 Cab. Even though I was planning on looking at numbers on the used one and knew there was no possiblity of the $98.5k MSRP 997, I mentioned it to the sales manager. Within 20 minutes of looking at leasing scenarios, I pulled the trigger on the brand new 997 without even driving it. By noon this morning, I had my insurance set and by 2PM, I was home. I would have had the deal done within 1 hour on Friday if it were not for the close of business on Friday and if I had not had a prior engagement. And I now feel great again.

There are two very important lessons is this: If you're well-heeled and love cars, don't mess around, just get what you can afford. As long as you're a guy, you'll love cars that go really fast. Looking at practical automotive options in the $45-70k range is only going to bore you if you've seen the other side of the mountain. The second lesson is this: If you're feeling indecisive, you are very likely to make very poor decisions or even worse...stuck in non-decision mode. When the car fits, it will be no decision at all and you will glide through the process like butter.

Nothing beats a 911.
  • dweiserdweiser Posts: 288
    I'm loving my 997 C4 Cab. Got it in November and with the warm Winter (so far) have had the top down many days. Good luck with your new baby.
    What tires did yours come with if you don't mind me asking?
    Mine came with Bridgestone Potenzas.
  • hello everyone..i have been reading this board for a while but i am new to posting here. i am considering buying a 2006 C2 or C2 Cab and i am wondering how much of a discount off the MSRP would be considered a "good buy". aslo can anybody recommend a dealer in the NY area that would give the best prices and is above board to deal with. Thanks in advance.
    I would think that $3k-$5k off an ordered car is a fair and decent discount. That's what I was quoted by several dealers when I bought my C2S Cab in September 2005. A few were sticking with MSRP or $1,000 "courtesy discount". I ended up negotiating a larger discount on a car that was delivered to my dealer as a "bonus" allocation from Porsche. However, it also had several options that I hadn't planned on ordering, so the total price I paid was about the same.

I suspect that if you happened to find a C2 coupe or cab optioned the way you want in stock in NY right now, you could do a pretty good cash deal. But if you wait much longer, the spring fever for cabs will take over, and you will need to wait until next fall. You can check dealer inventories on the Porsche website by locating dealers in your area and clicking on their inventory list.

As I am sure you are aware, Porsche's option list is a mile long. If you have fairly specific desires, you may be better off ordering it. The 2006 Speed Yellow I have on order would be impossible to find in stock, equiped as I want.
  • If I placed an order for the exact car I wanted should I still expect a discount(if so how much) or is that just for cars in stock? Thanks
    "I would think that $3k-$5k off an ordered car is a fair and decent discount."

That's what I meant. If you order a car to your exact specifications, you would be doing reasonably well to get $3k off; very well to get $5k off. But again, it's a supply / demand equation and I honestly don't know what NY area dealers are willing to do.
    Right on about discounts habitat1.
    A cab (I don't think bosco42 gave his preference - coupe or cab) sitting in a dealer's lot "could" bring a slightly higher discount especially on a nice cold snowy day! If I remeber corerctly, New York gets a few of those!
    :)
    And like you said, wait until Spring and forget-about-it.
    Don't limit yourself to the "NY area"; most Porsche dealers will deliver a car to you or you can go pick it up and drive it back home - good way to get acquainted with your new vehicle.
  • Nice post. Please keep us updated on dealership experience and also how the C4 does has your daily driver/winter car.
  • I know it is personal preference BUT I was wondering what the general consensus was about which interior looks better with Speed Yellow. Black or Sand ??? Thanks for all opinions.
  • I am having a tough time deciding with the budget I have whether to purchase a C2 Cab or a C2S Coupe. They would be in the same ballpark money wise. Although I like a Cab I don't know if it is worth it to use only 4 or 5 months out of the year where I live. Is the tradeoff in lieu of a better performing car (C2S) worth it ??
    Hey rocketman111,
    First, I have a 997 C4 Cab and I LOVE it! I can also out the top down much more than 4 or 5 months. As much as I love my Cab I still think the coupe has the better lines. Couple that with the amount of top dpown time and your choices of S vs. non-S and I believe I'd go with the C2S coupe. Only thing better would be a C2S Cab or C4S Cab but don't forget the endless and very costly list of "must have" options on any Porsche which can really run up the bottom line.
    :)
  • Just purchased 2006 speed yellow boxster with sand interior for my lady! BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
  • nyc4snyc4s Posts: 5
    In reponse to cab vs. S, I would get the cab. I drive the 997 c4s, and love taking the top down more than the 30 hps,19s,xenons, and sport suspension which I never activate. If you can do it, I would do the c2 cab with the 19s.
    Rather than debate between a C2S coupe and a C2 Cab, I think you should try to find a low mileage, meticulously cared for, perfectly broken in 2005 C2S Cab.

Rumor has it that a Seal Grey with a lot of nice options like Nav, Sport Chrono, Bose, Power Leather Seats, Sport Exhaust.... and will be becoming available in March. It's just a rumor, but supposedly the owner has decided his girls would look better in a Speed Yellow one. And he's looking for a good home for that Seal Grey Cab S at a very attractive price! ;) ;)

Oh, and Bosco, that will be Speed Yellow with Black interior. I liked the contrast with my old S2000. The Speed Yellow / Sand is a little to light for my tastes.
  • It certainly is something to consider, habitat...Keep me posted. Thanks