Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche 911

Comments

• nyc4snyc4s Posts: 5
    Has anyone added a rear spoiler (turbo look) to their 997s, and what did it involve (ie. price, etc.)
  • Saturday (before the storm) I came across a used 996 coupe outside an auto sterio emporium on Rt 9 in Framingham, MA. The car was parked on some rough terrain with one wheel off the ground and up in the air (the owner said, "See how strong the suspension is"). He said to forget about the asking $35,000 sign and to take it for a ride. I did. Fairly noisy, boy racerish, and tight with the sport seats (believe me, no one over 200 pounds is going to wear more than a sweater sitting in those seats). Kind of rough with 89,000 miles. Needs to be cleaned and detailed before anyone else sees it. But maybe I can get the price down to make it worthwhile as a weekend car.

How much is a 1999 coupe in silver with absolutely no service records ("My friend runs the Jiffy Lube down the street. We did all the oil changes there"), a GT3 front end treatment, worth?
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    IMO, if you want to gamble, go to Las Vegas.

If I wanted to spend $30-35k on a highly reliable, fun to drive car with very good performance, I'd get another brand new Honda S2000. I would not take a flier on a 7 year old 911 with 89,000 miles that doesn't have any documentation. I want a fun car that I can drive, not one that has a high probablility of being a headache. That's not "fun" in my book. Heck, I wouldn't buy a used Honda S2000 that had no documentation and Jiffy Lube oil changes, let alone a 911.

If, on the other hand, you want to spend the time and money to get the car thoroughly checked out by a legitimate Porsche mechanic, perhaps you can get the price low enough to make it a worthwhile risk. But life is too short for me to undertake that one.
  • Xenons not worth it?
  • Yellow w/ Black

Image hosting by Photobucket
  • Xenons are mandatory . . . and I doubt they make many without them.
  • sdbuisdbui Posts: 1
    Has anyone here put or know anyone that has put 20K miles/year or more on their 911? I am thinking of getting one but I happen to drive alot. How do they hold up? Repair, drive ,ect... Thanks for your help.
  • I'm in the market for 997S. if i could have my own way, i'd order an 06 C2S with X51. However, i drove an X51 car and was not $17k impressed.

I did some research into aftermarket powerkit and was amazed at the options. From superchargers to maxxed out motors.
    A neighbor recently picked up his 900HP GT2 from 9ff. We did some joyriding and i'm hooked on the power now.

What i'm thinking now is to pick up a low-mile 05 997S and drop $10-15k in engine and suspension mods. I'll be keeping the car for at least three years.

I must admit it also crossed my mind to get a 996 turbo and modify that. The gains that can be made with turbos is really tempting. On the other hand, i dont know if the complexity of a turbo would be problematic. Also, i kinda wwant the newer body style.

What to you guys think? anybody own both?

Either way, check out these cool videos i turned up. That exhaust sounds amazing.

click here
  • hmmm

there are so many spoilers available.

DO you want the factory aerokit one?

I've been pricing out a 9ff conversion car and saw this spoiler.

personally i like the biwing design to this one - kind alooks like a GT2 wing also.
    great look!
    I've slowed down - 5,000 miles in the first 5 months - thanks to winter finally arriving.

But a big part of my decision to get a 911, especially the 997, was what I have determined is a pretty darn durable car. There is a RMS issue that may not have been resolved completely for the 997. But that is a one time issue that will likely surface in the 4 year/50k mile warranty.

I don't expect to get to 110k miles before needing new brake pads, as in my 1995 Nissan Maxima. Nor do I expect to have only $300 in total maintenance over 2.5 years and 20k miles with my Honda S2000. But I didn't buy the 911 with the intention of it being a low mileage garage queen. I am confident it will be fine for 12-15k miles per year for me.
    Interesting to see the 911 took top honors:

Most reliable
  • dweiserdweiser Posts: 288
    Not to quibble but I read the article in the link you provided and it looks like the 911 came in 3rd. Did I miss something?
    Actually,unless I missed it, the 14 cars listed are not ranked. The slide show is in alphabetical order. I (generously) gave credit to the 911, based upon the opening statement to the slide show:

"The slide show that follows this introduction lists the 14 most-reliable luxury cars on the market, including Murry's favorite, the 911, which receives J.D. Power and Associates' highest marks for dependability."

Where did you see the 911 listed in third place?
  • dweiserdweiser Posts: 288
    Not sure where my "came in 3rd" came from. I guess your wording, "Interesting to see the 911 took top honors" made me think the 911 came in 1st; that's what top honors usually means to me.
  • Habitat1, you are a good resource on this board. Do you have any comments about the comparision article between the 911 and the new AM V8 in the current C & D? Their comment was that the 911 seemed restless and twitchy on rough pavement (99% of the Interstates above the Mason Dixon line) compared to the Aston. I mention it because (as you posted earlier) I am interested in high speed touring more than gymnkhana performance.
    The 997S isn't "twitchy" IMO. I took it on a 800 mile roundtrip last fall, which included a large chunk of the PA Turnpike. Not exactly your best maintained road surface. And the 911 was much more "glued down" than my FWD TL sedan. I could take my hands off the wheel and it would track straight as an arrow. I was completely comfortable and rested after a 400 mile drive with 1 bathroom/gas break. Not something I could have said about my former S2000.

Last week, I had a business trip that included 140 mile highway roundtrip in windy conditions. I could feel the 20-30 mph sidewinds a little more than I expected, but when I set the PASM on sport mode, again it felt very stable at 75+ mph.

I wish the AMV8 were available to test drive here in DC. It is several hundred pounds heavier and, from what I understand, does not have as quick of steering, chassis or throttle feedback as the 911. Which may indeed means that it drives more like a smooth GT than a sports car on the highway. Hopefully, you will get a chance to test drive both before pulling the trigger.
  • todd7todd7 Posts: 16
    I've been doing some homework on my next car purchase and need some expertise. These Edmund's forums have been of great info for me in the past. Here's the situation.

I want a true sports car. I drive an Accord 5 days a week and I'm getting bored. I keep coming back to the 911 Carrera S, but have one main concern among many tiny ones. From what I've read, they tend to have an appetite for oil. Why? I've read how well built they are, but this bugs me. What am I to expect? Thanks
  • I HAVE A 04 C4S CAB THAT I DRIVE 20K PER YEAR IT HAS NOT BEEN AT THE DEALER FOR ANYTHING EXCEPT NEW TIRES AND AN ALINEMENT
    I have 5,100 miles in a little over 5 months on a 2005 911 S and I have added a total of 1.75 quarts of oil. This was about what the dealer estimated during the break in period. I do not think this should be your "main issue" regarding the 911. Even my Honda S2000 consumed a quart of oil in it's first 1,500 miles of break in, and it only held 5 quarts compared to 9 for the 911.

I may be wrong, but I do not believe a properly broken in 911 is going to experience any/much more long term oil consumption than other high performance engines.
  • 04 C4S Cab is better looking.