Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche 911

Comments

• 07997turbo07997turbo Posts: 31
    Sport mode changes the throttle mapping so that higher tourque is achieved much quicker as well as adding an extra 3 or 5 (Cant recall without looking at the manual ) Lbs boost for 10 seconds. In essence, this brings you to the max BHP of 480 sooner than without it... meaning quicker quarter mile times... and perhapd even a jump on road racing if your opponent needs to wait an additional second for his engine to attain it's max BHP and subsequently, power to his wheels.
  • After agonizing for close to a year as to which trim I should purchase, options, etc, I finally took delivery of my Targa 4S on Thursday. I quickly put on 700 miles as my brother, mom, dad, girlfriend, co-worker, aunt and cousin all took test drives. Some initial thoughts -

- Color combination is striking in person (black/sand beige leather). Willing to sacrifice time/$ to keep it up
    - All leather looks incredible
    - Handling (duh)
    - Brakes are amazing
    - I think i made the right call on the classic wheels, they look even better on the larger rear tires
    - Xenon's are very cool
    - Great driving environment even with glass top up (and screenshade down)
    - Navi is great only because i've never had one before (I am sure others are better per this board)

Dislikes:
    - though i knew the glass roof blocks some rear vision when deployed, its still a little annoying. I can see ok during the day but much tougher at night
    - not even having an aux jack for my ipod is really, really annoying. Again, i knew this as well but Porsche should have some basics in a $100k car. I have a local guy who can put in an aftermarket kit from Nav-TV that will cost $1k but i am less worried about the cost and more worried about the possibility of the electronics going haywire if they screw up.

Conclusion - best $100k i ever spent (ha)
  • david3299david3299 Posts: 13
    Hey Guys and Girls,

I currently have a 1989 911. I'm thinking about placing a gold plated porsche emblem (standard hood part) on each front fender walls instead on the sticker. Your opinion would be appreciated.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,566
    I'll vote no. This shape is the most unmistakable in the world. Everybody already knows what the car is. It doesn't need a name IMO.

best,

Visiting Host

• david3299david3299 Posts: 13
    Thanks for your comment.
  • dan24oudan24ou Posts: 4
    I'm looking at a 2000 911 Carrera Coupe. It currently has about 38k miles and they are asking 35k. I have been trying to find out maintenance costs for this car. How much are inspections and other routine costs? Is there a big inspection at 40 or 50K miles that will cost a lot?

Thanks,

Dan
  • lurbanlurban Posts: 1
    I recently moved to the Wilmington/Jacksonville NC area and looking for a mechanic for my 1973 911T /MI. Can someone help?
    Routine maintenance is neither particularly expensive or frequent on a 911, compared to most cars of that type. Of course, you should avail yourself of the services of a good independent shop now that warranty is over, where you can work with the shop and discuss what is recommended, what is necessary and what is truly optional at each service. A dealer will just sell you the whole package, and that can get pricey.

I'm just guessing here but I'd figure maybe $100 a month for routine maintenance and services and the occasional expendables.

• chile96chile96 Posts: 330
    not only would that be an atrocity to the car but you'd be made fun of to say the least. i sincerely hope you were kidding in what i could understand from your broken sentence
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Let me be the first on the board to CONGRATULATE you on one of the best purchases of your life!

:shades:

TagMan
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Maintenance costs can vary significantly by geographic area and even by dealership / mechanic.

My 2005 911S (997 model) technically did not require it's first service until 2 years/20k miles. I had the oil/filter changed (9.5 quarts) and an inspection of other fluids done at a dealership at 1 yr/10k miles for $250. The 2 year/20k is expected to cost $600 +/-. But the 4 year/40k mile major service is expected to cost $2,000 +/-.

It sounds like the car you are considering is due for a major service mileage wise, if one has not already been performed. Hopesfully, they have all maintenance and repair records so you can check. But I would call up one or more dealerships in your area to get their estimate of what would be required and cost.

Aslo, I'll be taking my new car to a dealership during the warranty period - and probably beyond. But I know of others that have found very good independent Porsche mechanics that specialize in the 996/993 and earlier models. You might want to check that out as well.
    I have to say that in my own personal experience Porsche dealers are pretty lame when it comes to cars out of warranty. (But there ARE exceptions!) The independents are true enthusiasts, and also have a lot of experience modifying and improving the cars. And a good independent will have a relationship with the dealer, and they will cooperate. Why? Because the dealer doesn't want to work on older cars and the independents can't really touch the new ones due to warranty issues or lack of tech date. Certainly any independent shop that is competent can handle 4-5 year old Porsches, no problem.

Naturally there are also a lot of fakers in the Porsche repair business. Just because he has a German accent and works on Mercedes, doesn't mean he knows diddley about a Porsche.

Reputation is the key to choosing an independent, and this is where joining PCA comes in, or asking around. Fortunately, northern California has an abundance of Porsche talent.

• spechtbachspechtbach Posts: 16
    Does PCA have a list of recommended independent repair shops on their web site?
    Don't think so. They do have "The Mart" where shops might advertise. I think the best resource is where certain independent shops will host local events for PCA or do a tech session for PCA members in their shop. Usually these indies are thus highly regarded.

A gold plated Porsche emblem placed on the fender walls would be the ultimate in poor taste. Not even Ferrari owners are that tacky.
  • chile96chile96 Posts: 330
    best bet is to join the PCA or attend an event and ask some of the members who they recommend. usually there is a favorite shop amongst the enthusiasts in each area

where are you BTW?
  • I'm also seeing numerous chips on the hood of my `01 911. I've looked at the Clear Bras but would rather find a stone deflector.

Has anyone seen a stone (or bug) deflector for 911's. I believe the new GT3 & GT3 R/S comes with a deflector but I can't find one for other or older models.

Thanks!
  • Has anyone seen a stone (or bug) deflector for 911's. I believe the new GT3's come with a deflector but I can't find one for other or older models. (see porsche.com for pictures) I've checked with several dealerships but so far haven't found one...

Thanks!
  • Not sure if you are in the midwest but I had a dealer in Birmingham, MI (Fred Lavery) do it for me and also a dealership in suburban Chicago (Motor Werks of Barrington) that would do it for me as well. I believe a typical job costs $1k or so but I got the works for over $2k (because the dealer paid for it). So far , so good (you dont notice unless you are 6 inches away).
    I live in Palos Verdes which is a suburb of Los Angeles. I have a 2007 C2 and would prefer to change the oil every 7000 miles. With my BMWs, I had much better luck with independent repairmen.The dealers tend to be way too much trouble. I am a member of PCA but have not had the time to attend their meetings due to sailing,cycling & kids.
    Thanks!
  • Your best bet is for the 8mm clear urethane product made by either 3M or Avery Dennison. There are other "clear bra" products made but these are the only two with a clear coat applied to give the same high gloss as the paint finish. As with most products like this, an experienced and talented installer is a must. If you cover the entire hood and fenders, it is difficult to even know it is installed on the car. Costs about $1,200 There are kits now which will cover the entire vehicle. I have had the 3M product on a GT Silver which you could absolutely not see the material. It does work. I am not sure how it would work out on a damaged surface so you may want to have some paint work done first. I think if you put a deflector on your car it may qualify for the "You might be a Redneck If" calendar. But if you do, you may as well get those shields on the fenders too.........
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,904
    ringleader6, thanks to your advice to the brewmanator, i'm rethinking my idea about installing Yosemite Sam "back off" mudflaps when I get a 911.
  • I'm sure the boys in Zuffenhausen will be relieved ;) Still, when I look at the nose of a new GT3 RS, there appears to be a deflector at the lip of the hood. I'll call my local Walmart to see if they stock it. Of course I'll also opt for the trailer hitch. Thanks for the help.
    Hey! I once had mudflaps on a Porsche 911, no kidding! But they were custom made of stainless, very small, with lovely curves shaped by a friend who was a fabricator for a classic car restorer. I wonder if I have a photo somewhere.

Have never seen a trailer hitch on a 911, but a bike rack, yes, and of course engine lid luggage rack (not the same thing as a whale tail!).

• thank you very much! good to be part of the porsche family. not many people like the targa but i absolutely love it (especially driving down lakeshore drive at dusk). here are some pics (finally)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9652550@N05/?saved=1
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Simply gorgeous - congrats!
  • bpm69bpm69 Posts: 10
    I've been trying to find one myself, it's just hard to find one that's not black or red and doesn't have black leather. Have you tossed it around at all? Do you notice the weight up top? How bad is the rearview at night with the top open? Any other thoughts?
  • I just passed the 2k mark so I have been driving it hard only recently. I havent tracked it yet (my co-workers with GT3's like to toy with me) but so far i havent noticed any up top weight issues.

Re: hard to find one. Yes, its definitely a challenge to find any sort of inventory at the dealer. So far in CY07, Targa sales represent only 5% of total 911 sales. To get what you want, you will probably have to order it. It took my guy 3-4 months to swap an allocation (spec'd it out in Dec, finally got a May build and took delivery in June).

Re: rearview at night. One of only 2 complaints (other being no factory ipod hookup). The view in your rearview mirror is blocked on the bottom 1/3. At first it was slightly annoying but now i am used to it. I think its only an issue if a Prius is riding your rear bumper. And if that happens, you clearly arent driving the car correctly :)

Re: any other thoughts. Only thing that i think most people overlook in the Targa is the view in the cabin when the top is UP. Critics will point to how its not completely open air like a Cab when the roof is down (true). However, when a driver puts the roof back up in the Targa for weather or other reasons, the view from inside the cabin is amazing. I think it gives it an exotic flair that makes the overall driving experience very enjoyable regardless of weather. Recently, I took a 250 mile road trip and I really liked having the ability at 80 mph to put the roof back up to take a break from the sun while still enjoying the view.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • bpm69bpm69 Posts: 10
    If you don't mind my asking, what kind of discount to MSRP did you get on a build. If you prefer not to say, no big deal. Thanks for your prior thoughts.
  • Basically zero (I only mind i didnt get a discount ;) ). I had no leverage at all because the other dealers didnt have an allocation so I couldnt put one against the other. I am sure if i was in CA or FL where they sell a lot more Porsches it could be different (apparently I have the only T4S sold in MI...no wonder they are pulling out of the Detroit Auto Show). However, I did get about $3k in free aftermarket items (complete clear bra treatment, ipod hookup, V1 installation). I was also less price sensitive as I leased it through my company so I am effectively getting a 35% discount. If you have any other specific questions that you dont feel comfortable posting, please feel free to email me at kschult2@chicagogsb.edu.