Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche 911

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,116
    Well chances are that if the seal problem hasn't popped up, then it's okay. But an inspection is mandatory, because in many cases the "fix" for this seal problem is not a seal, but an entire engine.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• bigdog43bigdog43 Posts: 3
    I know I am old,but why does it seem the newer cars have such crazy problems like seal leaks, water leaks . Something that our technology these days should be able to make seals both in motors and body panels that will NOT leak. Guess not. I read an article from a UK chap with alot of experance in Porsche not to worry about alittle mileage. That'was good, but still worried about the RMS. Would a Porsche dealer be able to use the VIN and see if the RMS was addressed. Do the leak more cold or warmed up? thanks for the help.. Mike
    edited April 2010
    Well it wasn't the seal per se, but the basic engine design that allowed the crank to move too much---is my understanding. A machining problem on certain blocks coupled with engine design issues.

Yeah a dealer should have a record of such repairs. Not all engines had the problem and some had it in such a minor way as to leave it alone.

Again, I'm not aware of any real "cure" other than engine replacement.

• cap9cap9 Posts: 4
    You seem like you know about the car- what was the original price of this 2003 911?

link title
  • I am seeking a 2009 911 S Cab with less than 8000 miles. White or black. please let me know if you know where i can find this car. Thanks
  • decisions1decisions1 Posts: 17
    edited May 2010
    Anyone please: Unbelievably, 6 months ago, coffee spilled exactly and all over the audio display (dripping behind it too) of my C4S. The radio and cd work fine, and I'd already memorized the station settings etc., but the display is basically blank all the time with intermittant fuzzy lines, and very infrequent clear resolution lasting about 15 seconds max. I'm assuming the liquid has completely screwed up the visual of the display.

Is there anyway I can examine the extent of the problem myself, or is it really a dealer-only task? How much to repair do you think? Could hardly be more annoyed by this. :mad: Thanks!
    Yeah, this happens to computer laptops as well. The liquid quickly corrodes in there and shorts everything out. At best, you'd have to take it out and try to clean things up---at worst, replace the affected circuit boards. Perhaps a car audio shop could handle this for you for less $$$ than the dealer (who would no doubt farm it out to an audio shop anyway, or back to the radio manufacturer).

Nobody really fixes stuff like this anymore, but a good car stereo shop might take a crack at it.

• bayareafx45bayareafx45 Posts: 19
    Went to my vacation home for a week. Came back to find my C4S dead in the water. Had to "jump" it and after running it for awhile to recharge the battery, lo and behold, the clicking sound coming from my CD player , stopped ! I guess it reset or cleared the player back to spec. Have over 2100 miles on my C4S and not a single problem or recurring problem. Smooth and fast ! :shades:
  • mtt3mtt3 Posts: 1
    Where do you insert the battery charger? Cigarette lighter or the armrest console power outlet? Any difference?
  • bc43bc43 Posts: 6
    anyone else see mini cooper's desperate attempt to get mentioned in the same breath as a 911? amusing in a way but come on guys - you've got no shot here.

at this point I say LET"S GET IT ON and crush 'em

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lets-go-to-Road-Atlanta-and-shut-Mini-up/131010103- 593070?ref=ts
    Best be careful here....I have a video of the original MINI humiliating the big block Corvettes at Limerock. How is that possible? It was the type of track that favored the MINI. They were ferocious handlers, not straight-line cars.

If the course is set up the favor really tight cornering, the Porsche could be in trouble.

• abaker1abaker1 Posts: 7
    Any thoughts: My 1989-930 failed the high idle emission test for the 3rd time.
    HC ppm 1750 reading...standard is 220...the previous reading was 810
    CO% 052 reading...standard is 1.20
    CO2% 14.7 reading...standard not mentioned
    02% 0.8 reading..standard not mentioned

I drive the car 1k-1.5k per year and though it needed a good driving, which I did... I also added a fuel system cleaner...but still failed New Jersey Emission test.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    A. Baker
    1750? You have some HUGE problem that should be fairly easy to detect.

I'd approach this as a "back to basics" problem. I'd check for:

1. HUGE vacuum leak (detectable with a smoke tester)

2. Really off engine timing (did someone do a tune up recently--if so, they set it all wrong)

3. Possibly (gulp) a compression problem--bad valve.

4. Did someone take the catalytic off this car?

So, leak test, tune up, compression test. This level of PPM can't be subtle in its cause.

The 930s turbos usually run very clean.

Mr Shiftright,
    Thanks for your speedy and thoughtful response. The interesting thing is that the car hasn't run this well in years. So I decided to avoid the inspection headache and have the car registered as a collector vehicle, which aren't required to be inspected and the car easily qualifies.
    Thank you again for your help,
    Andy
    Well okay....but I'd still have the car checked. If it's a vacuum leak, this can be harmful, or if your timing is too advanced, the car will run great.....for a while.....

Something is definitely not right with the car.

You are right. I will get the classification changed first, so its legal to drive, then have it checked out. I have owned this car for 15 years and can't tell you how much pleasure it has given me. Thanks again for your interest and willingness to share.
    The 930 Turbo is a fantastic car...probably the best bang for the buck you can get in an older Porsche. I love 'em and love to drive them---they are a challenge to drive quickly, (they can bite you) and a bit raw perhaps for people who are used to newer, plushier Porsches. To me, those "edgier" characteristics give the car its own unique personality.

• bc43bc43 Posts: 6
    quick follow-up:
    race was yesterday and Porsche won by :02. it was more of an auto-cross course but that seems like a logical move by Mini (although maybe a little sneaky to lean so heavily on Road Atlanta in the publicity).
    Porsche was driven by Cory Friedman who is a professional something or other driver. kudos to Mini for going legit on the racing part. all in all seems like it was all in fun. mini FB page has the video:
    http://www.facebook.com/MINIUSA#!/MINIUSA?v=app_122731241101196
    pretty darn close. I can hardly wait to get that new supercharger reduction pulley and new airbox on my MINI! That's 20 more HP.

• Found out you need a battery conditioner when you go on extended trips and not driving the Porsche. Little over a hundred dollars and just plugs into your wall socket while placing the other end in the Porsche's lighter socket and walk away. Keeps it fully charged. So far , no problems to report ! My C4S just loves to move in a straight line but really loves to climb windy roads . Took it up to the Santa Cruz mountains and she just wanted to scream for joy ! Love this car ! :shades:
    I use a trickle charger on my 1989- 930. I live in the North East and never drive from Nov-March and it starts like a charm. The cost is 15-20 dollars...just another option.
  • I am looking to finally buy my first Porsche 911. I am trying to decide on either a 2002/2003 911 Turbo or a 2005/2006 911 C4S.

Would like good advice from Porsche owners - and a reason why as well.

Many Thanks !!
  • old911old911 Posts: 3
    This car has no issues and never has, but since I ran the gas down to very low levels twice last month, I suspect there may be a partial obstruction to fuel supply or something related to low gas in tank and maybe bad gas as the engine has LOST POWER. The engine does not sputter or sound different, it starts the same, idles the same but has no chops when pushing it feels like a smaller engine. But there's no valve chatter, no missing or smoke, no excess heat, or dieseling. It was NEVER run hot-nothing ever happened except low gas, ) and summer.... Maybe I needed summer blend gas and I got the old winter blend gas??? Maybe 7Kmi on spark plugs is pushing it? Donno pls advise....appreciate any opinions.
  • I'm looking to purchase a 1999 C2 Cab from a family friend. He went to KBB and saw that base price is $25,000 but is prepared to sell to me for less as it's a deal among friends. As the car has been garage kept, has 35,000 miles, reasonably loaded, recent major maintenance, new tires, and had recent body work to repair any nicks/dings, I felt good about the price. Then, as an additional check, I went to Edmunds.com and it appears that the true market value price there is closer to $20,000. What gives? Is there typically a gap such as this between KBB and Edmunds.com's TMV? What is a fair price for a 1999 C2 Cab that's a "cream puff?"
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,692
    On autotrader.com & make sure you have the car checked out by a Porsche mechanic

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Shifty, if it's a '99, it's a 996.

Sounds like a nice car - assuming the RMS has been addressed...
    edited August 2010
    Oh right you are my good man----, I read that wrong. Somehow I saw C2 and thought 1992.

Absolutely the Rear Main Seal problem has to be investigated. It should be inspected by a qualified Porsche technician (dealer or independent) and if some oil leakage is noted, it should be tested using the Porsche tool created for this purpose. If the crankshaft clearances are too far off (I think they have a grading system of tolerance, 1 through 4), then it's engine time, but I've heard that in most cases the upgraded seal will work. However, the new seal install is a tedious and lengthy repair in and of itself.

Some people say that the 6-speed transmission is more susceptible than the tip-tronic.

Let's face it, this was an engineering error in the 996 engine cases. The crankshaft is not as well supported as it should be. My two cents is that they cut corners.

RE: Price--- the price of $25000 strikes me as retail asking price. A good friend's price would be about $20,000. I've see occasional low mileage cabs in the $21K--$22K range, asking prices. That'd be okay all 'round I think.

• I'm looking at buying an 06 911 4. Car is in mint condition with 4500 miles. Should I be concerned about the low mileage? Car was bought new in March 07.
    Well I'd certainly plan to have it thoroughly serviced and safety checked. I'd budget $1500 or so for that. We'll need to change the oil for sure and probably the coolant, inspect all the drive belts and hoses, brake calipers and rotors, tires, and make sure all the electronics are working. Also inspect for rodent intrusion, etc.