Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche 911

Comments

• Your best bet is for the 8mm clear urethane product made by either 3M or Avery Dennison. There are other "clear bra" products made but these are the only two with a clear coat applied to give the same high gloss as the paint finish. As with most products like this, an experienced and talented installer is a must. If you cover the entire hood and fenders, it is difficult to even know it is installed on the car. Costs about $1,200 There are kits now which will cover the entire vehicle. I have had the 3M product on a GT Silver which you could absolutely not see the material. It does work. I am not sure how it would work out on a damaged surface so you may want to have some paint work done first. I think if you put a deflector on your car it may qualify for the "You might be a Redneck If" calendar. But if you do, you may as well get those shields on the fenders too.........
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,900
    ringleader6, thanks to your advice to the brewmanator, i'm rethinking my idea about installing Yosemite Sam "back off" mudflaps when I get a 911.
  • I'm sure the boys in Zuffenhausen will be relieved ;) Still, when I look at the nose of a new GT3 RS, there appears to be a deflector at the lip of the hood. I'll call my local Walmart to see if they stock it. Of course I'll also opt for the trailer hitch. Thanks for the help.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,422
    Hey! I once had mudflaps on a Porsche 911, no kidding! But they were custom made of stainless, very small, with lovely curves shaped by a friend who was a fabricator for a classic car restorer. I wonder if I have a photo somewhere.

Have never seen a trailer hitch on a 911, but a bike rack, yes, and of course engine lid luggage rack (not the same thing as a whale tail!).

• thank you very much! good to be part of the porsche family. not many people like the targa but i absolutely love it (especially driving down lakeshore drive at dusk). here are some pics (finally)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9652550@N05/?saved=1
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Simply gorgeous - congrats!
  • bpm69bpm69 Posts: 10
    I've been trying to find one myself, it's just hard to find one that's not black or red and doesn't have black leather. Have you tossed it around at all? Do you notice the weight up top? How bad is the rearview at night with the top open? Any other thoughts?
  • I just passed the 2k mark so I have been driving it hard only recently. I havent tracked it yet (my co-workers with GT3's like to toy with me) but so far i havent noticed any up top weight issues.

Re: hard to find one. Yes, its definitely a challenge to find any sort of inventory at the dealer. So far in CY07, Targa sales represent only 5% of total 911 sales. To get what you want, you will probably have to order it. It took my guy 3-4 months to swap an allocation (spec'd it out in Dec, finally got a May build and took delivery in June).

Re: rearview at night. One of only 2 complaints (other being no factory ipod hookup). The view in your rearview mirror is blocked on the bottom 1/3. At first it was slightly annoying but now i am used to it. I think its only an issue if a Prius is riding your rear bumper. And if that happens, you clearly arent driving the car correctly :)

Re: any other thoughts. Only thing that i think most people overlook in the Targa is the view in the cabin when the top is UP. Critics will point to how its not completely open air like a Cab when the roof is down (true). However, when a driver puts the roof back up in the Targa for weather or other reasons, the view from inside the cabin is amazing. I think it gives it an exotic flair that makes the overall driving experience very enjoyable regardless of weather. Recently, I took a 250 mile road trip and I really liked having the ability at 80 mph to put the roof back up to take a break from the sun while still enjoying the view.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • bpm69bpm69 Posts: 10
    If you don't mind my asking, what kind of discount to MSRP did you get on a build. If you prefer not to say, no big deal. Thanks for your prior thoughts.
  • Basically zero (I only mind i didnt get a discount ;) ). I had no leverage at all because the other dealers didnt have an allocation so I couldnt put one against the other. I am sure if i was in CA or FL where they sell a lot more Porsches it could be different (apparently I have the only T4S sold in MI...no wonder they are pulling out of the Detroit Auto Show). However, I did get about $3k in free aftermarket items (complete clear bra treatment, ipod hookup, V1 installation). I was also less price sensitive as I leased it through my company so I am effectively getting a 35% discount. If you have any other specific questions that you dont feel comfortable posting, please feel free to email me at kschult2@chicagogsb.edu.
  • Porsche!. The one car,item I am about to acquire and I have the means and the smarts to do the work. But first I need some inside wrench tips and tricks. Diesel Heavy equipment mechanic about to do one of two things: either buy a 911 shell and put that over a good used drivetrain or vice versa; install drive train into shell. which ever way you view it. Both can be had for about 5K and doesn't include shipping. I need to know if anything in the 1980 series of 911's ( from 1981 to 1989) was made different and how it could be safely modified to work correctly,or, is it possible t install drivetrain from 1989 and up 911's into early to middle 1980's 911's shell?
    Purchased the manuals made by Haynes that cover the entire year range I am looking at. Would've acquired the 914 but have been told by reliabale source they are basically a rolling re-bar heap.
    So.....questions will abound as I dive off into looking into this idea. Any technical manuals and locations would be very handy to have as well. Have rebuild engines but nothing quite this complicated. But if it were easy, then only girls would do it. Sorry ladies.
    Please reply ASAP.
    Don
  • Nissan used 997 Turbo as the benchmark when designing the GT-R - a all-wheel drive super sports car with DSG transmission and a 3.8L V6 twin-turbo delivering 473hp and 434lb-feet torque.

Here is the article:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=123067

The article says the GT-R has comparable performance as the 997 Turbo but commends a much lower price of a base 911.

Thoughts and comments are welcome.
  • w210w210 Posts: 188
    Not much torque I wonder how the car will drive on the street.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    The performance on paper looks impressive, but the car iself looks butt ugly. And it's probably the 1 in 100 (not me) buyers of a 911 Turbo that can effectively use the extra power over a 911S.

Whether you like the German styling of the 911 or the Italian styling of the F430, it appears that you would need to be nearly blind to think this Mattel Toy "transformerd" version of a 350Z and G35 is attractive. And if you are nearly blind, you are going to have a tough time driving it.

Personally, I think Nissan might want to focus upon giving us a 350Z that isn't grossly overweight and underwhelming in performance at the $30-$35k level before they try tackling the supercar level. I found the 350Z to be a complete noncontender when I bought a Honda S2000 over a Porsche Boxster in 2001. I'd advise them to try to at least become competitive in their club champinonship before entering the US Open.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,422
    Replying to:
    bluemule55, "Porsche 911" #1717, 2 Sep 2007 9:26 pm

You'd probably want to use the G50 transmission (starting in 1987) and if possible a 1988/89 engine with the Bosch DME injection system.

If you put a newer motor into an older 80s 911 with the 915 transmission, you're probably going to blow the trans out. It's not strong enough.

Nothing wrong with a 914--it's a cheaply built car that's true, with a VW engine, but it's a pretty fierce autocross car and still does very very well in SCAA.

Actually building a 914 with a Porsche 3.2 motor would be way fun.

Actually why don't you just buy an 88-89? They're great cars just as they are.

• Habitat,
    I believe you have a 911. This is a little off topic but have you tried putting a child seat or booster seat in the back seat? Thanks
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,421
    Child Seats Can Be Done! While I don't own a 911 or any Porsche for that matter, I have seen with my own perfect 20/20 vision a 997 911 Turbo with 2 (YES TWO) forward facing child seats in the back.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• I have an 1999S I love this car, I need to replace one of the light bulbs in the head light. I have the bulb but not sure on how to take off head light or do you pull the black tabs in the trunk next to the head light? If any!one can help me please get back to me. I just spend 1500.00 on a oil leak. Please get back to me asap ! I can't drive the car at night, rosannewilson@volcano.net I live up in the Jackson Californa up in the mountains and it take 2 hrs to get to a porche dealer in Rosevile . :confuse:
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I haven't attempted putting a child/booster seat in the car. My youngest was on the bubble of needing a booster seat at the time of purchase - and she's still in a booster seat for long trips in our MDX - mostly because of the flat bench seat and high seatbelts. But the rear seats in the 911 are much more form fitting and and seat belt location in the 911 is across her chest (not neck).

Another factor in the Cab vs. Coupe is that the Cab seatbacks are almost vertical, while the coupes are more naturally angled back, with a little more room. I think that helps accomodate child seats much better in the coupe.