Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche 911

Comments

• trometrome Posts: 17
    This exhaust is "cat back" and includes tips. It provides a deep throaty sound and is very high quality. I am swapping out of my car so am going back to stock exhaust before I trade it in. The APR exhause is only a couple of months old. I paid $1750. I will take the best offer over $1000. Located in Miami, FL. If interested you can email me at escobar928 at hotmail
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I'll probably do the exhaust, maybe the X51 package and yes maybe an 08MY.

I would strongly suggest you scrap the X51 at $17k and drop $920 on the sport chrono. My Cab S has the Porsche sport exhaust and sport chrono combination. When you press the "sport" button it activates both the exhaust and the faster throttle response and braking response that the sport chrono provides. Porsche doesn't claim any horsepower gain or performance advantage, but it sure feels a lot quicker and more responsive. After having it, I would NEVER consider getting another 911 without the sport chrono package, based purely on the "sport" part.

By comparison, when my car was in for service last fall, I test drove a 911S with the X51 package. Without the sport chrono activated, I was hard pressed to feel almost any difference between it and the standard 911S below 75 mph. IMO, that's a boatload of money to spend for a few horsepower that most drivers would only notice at the track. The dealer agreed, and was willing to discount the car to invoice, because the $110k sticker on a C2S X51 was, in his words, the "worst bang for the buck" in the entire 911 line-up.

If you are really trying to maximize performance, then clearly the GT3 would be the choice. Ferrari like 8,400 rpm redline, handling that is phenominal, but not punishing, and major performance advantages over the 911S X51 for a few more bucks. But what's a few more bucks for someone who is probably paying about $6-8 per actual driven mile for the priviledge of having a near garage queen with only 3,700 miles in 2 years? ;)
  • gtmaguiregtmaguire Posts: 22
    Okay, wife has given me the go ahead to buy the Porsche 911 (isn't it sad how many posts have that caveat?). I have a couple questions. First should I do it? I have never even driven in one. I just love the looks of the car. I have two young children. Wife is getting a new Range Rover Sport next month, I could get another for myself, perhaps more practical. I pick the kids 3 & 1 up from day care every day. It is only a mile from my home, can I put car seats in the back? If I get one it has to be a cabriolet. I am thinking of either a used from 05' up to a new 08'. I really don't want to spend more than 80k for it and it to have less than 10k miles on the car. Can I use the car as an every day drive to work vehicle? I have another Land Rover which I could keep for bad weather, but I want to get rid of it. Also I do not have a garage on my current home. New home in the next year or so will have a garage. I read some posts about rain issues. No garage, no Porsche? Thanks in advance for any and all advice. Even don't do it!
    By the time I got my 911S Cab in September, 2005, my girls were 7 and 10. The 7 year old was around 45-50 lbs, so technically should have been in a car seat, but the rear "buckets" were form fitting enough and the seat belt properly positioned, that I did not feel too uncomfortable with her in the back. Now it's a complete non issue. With the age of your kids, you definitely need to check out the car seat issue further - there were previous posts here a long time ago about certain brands/models that fit, but I also suggest you go to a dealer and/or call Porsche for advice.

I'm the one with the "rain issue". Fully resolved with a new controller unit and new carpeting/liner, but my insurance company had to pick up the tab. If you don't have a garage, you should plan on getting a cover (California Car Cover) . Unfortunately, on that instance it had started raining before I had a chance to cover mine. Rare occurance that the cowl drains overflow, but it does happen.

I have 18,000 miles on my 911 in 2.5 years. That compares with less than 10,000 miles during the same time in my Acura TL. It can be driven daily. But I would not want to rely on it exclusively, nor drive it for repeated short trips - and never during break in.

On the "less than 10k miles" on a potential used car, be careful on that hard and fast rule. I have consistently heard from experts that you DON'T want a car that is a garage queen that may have sat for extended periods or, worse, been used for primarily short hops, without proper break in and a good mix of highway use. I was extremely anal about the break in on my car, following the recommendation of driving it a minimum of 20+ minutes every time the car was started for the first 1,000 miles. I have also intentionally used it for a few 750 mile highway roundtrips to give it a heavy highway balance of mileage. If you go the used route, try your best to confirm that the car was properly broken in and that you are comfortable with how it was driven. That's more important than the miles on the odometer, IMO.

We are in the process of building a new house with a third tandem space in the garage for the 911. Unfortunately, I keep getting talked into more stonework by the mason and went solid cherry/mahogony for every inch of wood in the house. Frank Lloyd Wright would be proud, but I may need to sell the 911 to pay for my home excesses. :cry: Interested? ;)

Good luck.
  • Although my kids are much older so the back seat question is not an issue, I struggled with the new vs. used dilemma myself. I settled (maybe not the right word to use in this instance) for a new 2008 911 S. I found several used 997's that would have been nice, but given the broad number of options and customization variations available, and given that when it comes right down to it, it really isn't that much more to buy a new car designed exactly how you want it vs. "settling" for a 1 or 2 years old car someone else put together. I ordered my car in Basalt Black with full leather, sports chrono package, Navigation system, CD changer, adaptive sport seats (highly recommended. I'm 6' 4", about 230 and fit very comfortably), and a few small cosmetic features like colored wheel caps, etc. I've had it three weeks and love the car. As far as test driving is concerned, a spin around the dealership doesn't do the trick. I spent two days at the Porsche Sport Driving School in Birmingham last June. That's the most fun you could ever have with your pants on. That truly was the ultimate test drive. Absolutely love the car but it is a second car. The car I'll leave at the airport, fight traffic jams in, let a valet lay an hand on, etc., is a 2006 BMW 750 Li. Love that car too, but for entirely different reasons. The Porsche is comfortable to use as a daily driver, but not an everyday daily driver if you know what I mean.

Regarding the "back seat", never mind. Your 1 and 3 year olds may fit back there for the next 6 months but that's about it. Consider this car nothing more than a 2 seat sports car.

As long as your bride has given you the green light, go for it, but keep the Range Rover.
  • gocard1gocard1 Posts: 16
    Hi -- I have a potential opportunity to purchase a one owner '06 911 Cabriolet (Silver/Black) with 13k miles. Warranty runs in 9/09. I'm getting the options list but think it is moderately optioned -- not totally base model, but not all the bells and whistles either.

Asking price is $69k but I think they will sell for $65k or lower. I am in Los Angeles area.

What is reasonable pricing for this car? Is this a good deal, a so-so deal or a screaming good deal? Can I expect to get it for low $60s or is that pushing it?

Thanks for any and all input!!
    Regarding the "back seat", never mind. Your 1 and 3 year olds may fit back there for the next 6 months but that's about it. Consider this car nothing more than a 2 seat sports car.

Don't tell that to my daughters. They have logged at least 6,000 miles in the backseat over the past 2+ years. I'm 5'7" and my wife is 5'1" so that obviously helps a lot, but my 12 year old is now 5'2" and we get no complaints from her when she sits behind my wife. I have a friend who is 6', wife is 5'6" and their two smallish 7 & 9 year olds fit reasonably well, although they are at the limit.

Frankly, I probably wouldn't have bought a 911 S Cab, if it wasn't for the back seat. Great car for sure, but the Cayman S would probably be preferable to me as a pure 2 seater, especially given the price difference. And on the other end of the spectrum, I had an opportunity to pick up a Ferrari 360 at a decent price, as well. But, for us, the 911 makes a great family car on the weekends and a heck of a soprts car for me the other 70% of the time.
    I'd call $65k for that car a fair, but not great deal.

My 2005 is the same "age", with the 4 year warranty through 9/09. I have a few more miles (18,000). But mine is the "S" model ($10k more than the base) and is fairly loaded w/ $13k+ in options ($102.8k MSRP). I have been told by my dealer that when the weather breaks here in the next month or two, I should be able to get around $70-73k privately. The only advantage the one you are looking at is the model year, but there were no changes at all between the 2005 and 2006 and, as it turns out, they are the same age as far as the warranty goes. I think the low 60's is the right price for the one you are considering.
    Thanks so much to everyone so far for the advice. I am so torn about the car. I feel like buying the full size Range Rover is so much more logical. On the other hand, I really want to get the Porsche. Ironically, my wife thinks I am being ridiculous. :cry: She says just buy the Porsche. The price is an obstacle for me. I buy my cars outright and I have a hard time with going over 85 thousand. Particularly since I am buying her a new Range Rover Sport. 150 thousand for two cars cars really bothers my Irish frugality... and yes I know that sounds ridiculous...... :P

So. If you had to choose a used 911 cabriolet for $85k or less and a 2004 Land Rover Discovery as your back up car, or a new fully loaded 08' Range Rover. (don't forget the two kids) What would you do? Ok, I have also looked into a used 2007 Maserati $84K, my wife thinks they are boring. :surprise:

Oh and I am 5'9, wife is 5'3", thanks habitat1, I had almost started to rule out the Porsche. You have given me hope!

Also for amusement purposes only: wife to me"you can't do anything in moderation ever", my response "Moderation is for quitters!"
  • madmanmoomadmanmoo Posts: 2,039
    Factor in reliability issues. Range Rover has some less than stellar quality ratings. The same goes for Maserati. You may save a little money, but are you going to be happy when you're in and out of the shop constantly?

If your kids fit in the 911, then go with it!
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,626
    You'll just have trouble with the Discovery I think and the depreciation on Rover is brutal. Look ANY new car you buy is not an "investment" and ANY new car you buy cannot be justified in terms of "common sense". If we all had common sense we'd be buying 2-3 year old cream puffs with service records, super low miles and an excellent reputation for reliability, and let the other guy suffer the depreciation that starts the minute you drive off the lot.

But having something that nice and brand new, which is yours from the get-go, has a definite allure.
    Ok, I have made the decision Porsche it is! I am going to keep our old Discovery as the back up car if I need to drive the kids anywhere. I clocked day care to my house it is 1.1 miles, I could just go home switch cars and get the kids. I also rationalized that with gas prices skyrocketing, the Range Rover was a waste of money. Ok, I am admittedly looking for an excuse, but still I do hate paying 100 bucks to fill up my car every week. :cry: Wife is getting her RR Sport anyway soooooo..... Going to the dealership on Sunday to take a 911 for a drive and start the process. :shades: So, I am still on the fence about the new or used thing. I could do a new coupe without pushing my psychological threshold of 85k, but I really want the conv. Suggestions? I think leasing may not be right for me, but I wanted to hear if anyone had a different view on it. I plan on keeping the car for three to five years. I am planning on buying the car outright. But, I was wondering if in three years or so if I want to get a new one does the car retain more value as a trade in or if I just leased? Or which is more realistic and honestly more likely, I will have to get a sedan or another SUV, with having older bigger kids, I may just have to sell it anyway (or hide it from my wife somewhere!). I went to the Porsche website and did a three year 12k mile lease for 54,000 total payments. I also wanted to know what to expect about the negotiation in the dealership. I have looked at cars.com and carsdirect and they both basically list the MSRP price as the price of the vehilce. What should I expect when it comes to haggling over the price of the car? I was planning on going to about 4 or 5 dealerships to compare pricing.

Oh, sorry for the length of my posts, but thanks for the advice that you folks have given me. I hope to have my car by April :)
    A few responses:

Leasing: It sounds like you are somewhat similar to me. I always pay cash for my cars, figuring I'll bite the bullet once and be done with it. If I was looking at a BMW I might consider leasing, as they offer great lease rates/subsidies. Porsche doesn't. I would have been stroking a check for about $1,600 per month on mine and that would have taken some of the fun out of it for me.

Coupe vs. Cab: Where do you live? Climate? As I said, my purchse of the 911 was based on it being a sports car the whole family can enjoy. The Cab does run $10k more than the coupe, but the joy of driving around on a nice day with the top down and the girls hair flowing in the wind is priceless. The coupe is more of a track ready car (no added roll bars required), but for public road fun, the Cab is hard to beat.

Base vs. S: The initial cost difference looks like $10k, but the S gives you Xenon, PASM, 19" wheels and a couple of other goodies in addition to the more powerful engine. Net difference for the engine is about $5,400. After driving a base 911 a few weeks ago, I think the S is worth it. If you go the base route, I would seriously consider the PASM (Adjustable suspension) option. The base car I drove was harsh over bumps compared to my "normal" setting, but still not as tight around the curves as the S set to "sport". Noticable difference.

Price negotiation: Good news, Porsche sales are down 12% so far this year and the lousy economy/stock market is on your side. Also, the 997 model has now been out for awhile, compared to when I bought. Bad news, we are heading into prime spring season for buying a Cab, so dealers might be less inclined to heavily discount. I picked up my 2005 off the showroom floor in September 2005 as the 2006's were on the boat. Perfect time to negotiate - and I got a decent discount off from a dealer in Baltimore. But even at that time, some of the DC area dealers were trying to hold to near MSRP. Use Porsche's website to check out dealer inventory online, before you walk in.

Options: Don't get bent out of shape over the 20 page option list. If you are oredering a new car, keep it simple.

My car: 2005 997 S Cab, Seal grey, Black Leather Seats, Power memory seats, Navigation, Bose, 6-CD changer, Porsche Sport Exhaust, Sport Chrono, heated seats, self dim mirrors, etc. Current MSRP for an identical 2008 model = $107,385. New 9/27/05 (29+ months). 18,200 miles. Broken-in to perfection. My daughters will kill me if I sell it, but the stone mason is tempting me with added ideas (costs) for our new house. So slip me $ 72,995 and I'll even split you on the cost of an extended warranty to take you past a new car warranty! But you have to take care of it and give me a right of first refual to buy it back when you are done in 3-5 years. ;)
  • lr3rx8lr3rx8 Posts: 7
    of just trying a Porsche for fit. Now I'm a tall guy, and even taller from the hips up - like someone 6'8". I've owned Mazda's as sports cars,the last a 2004 RX8 I got new for just $24K - my daughter shifts it now as her daily driver - now with almost 70K miles on it. Bought the RX8 mainly b/c I fit in it - no other sports car allowed it at that time - I didn't want a convertable anyway, corvette was too small.for me. So I'm driving and turn into the nearest Porsche dealer here in Atlanta - Jim Ellis. Try the Cayman on for size - and its a no-go. The sales guy says try this Targa 4S... fits like a glove! Now I couldn't even get the sunroof version of the RX-8 because of my size - and in the Targa and later a 2S, I'm feeling incredibly giddy. But common sense takes over when he asks me if I want to take it for a spin. Same thing got me to buy a LR3 for my wife a couple years ago, and I don't want to cash in any of my losing investments... So I say no.

Now I've yearning for a new sports car... RX-8 was as nice a handling car as I've ever owned - I could really fling it around in the Georgia mountains - and I could buy 2 of them for the price of the engineering excellence the Porsche 911 offers... A also notice lots of folks don't use the 911's as daily drivers, and while I wouldn't need to I would not have and qualms using the rotary rocket as a D-D, but what about the Porsche?

Help! Can you guys talk me out of or into the Porsche?
  • So I say no.

Good thing you did (say no), or you'd have a much more serious dilemma. When I drove an RX-8 a few years ago with my niece who was car shopping, we both thought it was pretty soft in handling and performance compared to a Honda S2000, let alone anything by Porsche. I'm not anti Japanese - that S2000 was a legitimate competitor against the Boxster back then, but franlky, the RX8 is just a "sporty" coupe by comparison, not a serious sports car.

The bad news is the 911 C2S will set you back about 3-4 times (not 2) the price of an RX-8. The good news is that it's worth it. As for daily driving, the "S" model, with standard PASM is the way to go - or get PASM as an option on a base car. That allows you to toggle between a normal and sport suspension setting, meaning that you don't have to lose your fillings going over bumpy roads to the grocery store. With PASM, the 997 model 911 is probably the most "daily driveable" of any serious sports car out there. I have put as many miles on my 2007 Turbo over the past 16 months as I have on my M5 during that time, with the M5 only getting some of those miles when I need to carry more than 1 adult passenger.

I won't try to talk you into or out of a $80k-$100k+ decision. But I will suggest you consider the C2, C2S or even S Cabriolet over the C4S Targa. I am not a fan of how AWD adds weight and dulls the responsiveness of the Turbo (which I am trading for a GT2). And the Targa roof is sort of the worst of both worlds - adds a lot to the wieght of the car compared to the coupe, but doesn't offer the true open air feel of the Cabriolet. Good luck.
  • Habitat,

Parting with a loaded 2 1/2 year old $107k Cab S with only 18k miles for $73k?! Sounds like you are offering a heck of a deal - that stone mason that is building your new house must be something! Personally, I think you should keep it for that price - you could probably drive it for another year and only lose $5k more in resale.
  • lr3rx8lr3rx8 Posts: 7
    spiritinthesky... thx.

Yes I know the diff is price is a bit significant... even if I go with a 2005 2S. I was thinking maybe to go the two car route (Get a older 2004 RX-8 and have it track tuned for $20K+ and get another newer one for daily driver....At least with the mazda I can fit four adults if I have too... But I still may keep looking for that magical 2S with PASM for 60K. Gotta see how the market does in the next few months...
  • Two RX-8's???

I'm with Spirit on this one. The RX-8 is a sporty coupe at best, a "chick car" at worst. I say that tongue in cheek, being female myself. But I don't think $100k of track tuning will put the RX-8 in the category of a Porsche Boxster S, Cayman S or even a Honda S2000 on the track. And I'll leave it up to you to describe how you (a big guy) manage to get 4 adults in an RX-8. A girlfriend of mine that has one claims that the backseat of my 911S isn't that much smaller than hers. Neither are a place for full size adults, according to her.

I too, do not like to advise other people on how to spend their hard earned dollars. But if I had the choice between spending $65k on a 2-3 year old 911S vs. two used RX-8's with $20k of aftermarket modifications for one, it would be a damn easy decision for me. Kind of like buying Goldman Saks over Countrywide Financial, speaking of the market.
    Okay,

Went to the dealership, drove the 911 Cab, I am in love with the car. Bad news is that if I go new it could take three to four months to get the car. He had one on the lot a new 2007 Cab 4S which he claimed was invoiced at 114,000 and it was "discounted" to 99,000. I don't have the options list. It is going above my 85k budget, but I was wondering if it was worth it. Any thoughts?

Thanks
  • madmanmoomadmanmoo Posts: 2,039
    The price is incredible on the C4S Cab, but only if it was a 2008. It is a year old and you'll get some more depreciation from it when you drive off the lot. It simply isn't worth the money they are asking for it right now.

I've got an idea for you. I currently have a 2007 C2 Cab with 4,400 miles on it for $82,795. This vehicle is certified and that adds an additional 2 years or up to 100,000 miles on the warranty. (That's bumper to bumper.) In addition, this is a transferrable warranty.

If you'd be interested in this vehicle, then the hosts can pass along my information to you. I do work for a Porsche dealership!

Good luck!

-moo

Edit: Just FYI, the dealership I work for is seventh in the nation for volume. That means that we have a much better selection to choose from both new and preowned. I can help!