Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche 911

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    WA just passed the same law. Here's what I bought for $4.99...

image :blush:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    So what do you talk into?

BTW, the Bluetooth earpieces pretty much suck, even if you open a window, much less put a top down.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,397
    I can't speak for Bluetooth Integrated into a 911 Cab with the top down, but my wife's '07 X3 is equipped with BMW's factory Bluetooth. Unless the windows are closed and the sunshade (for the panorama roof) is closed it is difficult to understand her. Even if the AC is blowing hard, the bluetooth mics pick it up. I can't imagine bluetooth would work very well in a 911 Cab with the top down.

How much time do you really spend on the phone in the car? If it is not a signifcant amount "Honey I'm running late, don't put dinner on yet," then I say fracture the law. If you do mulitmillion dollar merger deals from your cell while driving, get the integrated bluetooth, put the top up and the AC on.

You might want to check with the lettering of the law. For example in New Jersey the police can't just pull you over for talking on your cell phone, you have to be fracturing another law in order for them to pull you over. ie: Speeding & Talking on your phone or running a stop sign & talking on your phone.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Speakerphone. Of course I don't drive a convertible...
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    "Tooki Bluetooth" about $650.00 plus tax installed...seamless integration with PCM

Now, THAT looks like a very good quality solution! I've contacted my dealer to see if they are familiar with this. I believe they are, because I thought I heard the service manager mention it in the past.

I'll keep you posted. If I find out anything interesting, I'll let you all know.

Thank you all so very much!! :)

TM
  • buylowbuylow Posts: 41
    I have been contemplating the purchase of a 911 my whole life....

I assume you have never driven a 911, otherwise you would have bought one by now. I would throw in another $20,000 and get a type 997, 2005 to present, I believe. Why not get the latest technology and most comfortable ride, not to mention a faster car. I have never driven a pre 997, but everyone says the improvements (of the 997) are amazing. I've heard that the 997 uses only 20% of the parts of the 996. Test drive both, and let me know which you like better.

I never thought about a sports car until about 6 months ago, so I test drove several over a three month period. When I drove the porsche 911, I bought one the next day (2006 coup,13,000 miles, $65,000. plus tax and license, lot of extras). I can't explain it. Everything about the car is quality, handling, and speed. I've even heard the purpose of the horizontally opposed cylinders is to help keep the center of gravity low. I even offer to take my wife to work just to drive the car.

You asked about maintenance. Check out the maintenance schedule at the dealer or maybe on line. Heck, you don't even have to change oil until 20,000 miles per the manual. I'm cheap and can make a dollar holler, but I'll spend whatever it takes to have a porsche. Life is too short, buy the car now!
    I also live in California and need to comply with the new law. I called my porsche dealer and they quoted me $5000, yes, that's right, for an integrated bluetooth system with the sim card. I have a 997. The aftermarket device that attaches somewhere in the car was only $1,000 ( a $4,000 savings, Wow).

I started looking around and found a Jabra bluetooth speaker phone at BestBuy for $80.00 which I bought. It seems to work very well, but I haven't tried it in the car. I have a coup and I don't think it's loud enough for a Cab. I started thinking, what's the difference between this device and talking on your cell phone speaker hooked to your visor. Ok, you can keep the phone in your pocket and the on button on the bluetooth device in a lot bigger (touching the face of the device will answer the call).

Jabra had an interesting device for $129.00 that uses your car's FM tuner. You don't need a battery and the sound would be as loud as you want since it's using your car's speakers. When you get a call you turn on the radio and go to a certain frequency, which you can pre-select, so you just punch a button. The salesperson said sometimes you get interference. I'm thinking about trading in for this system. Can anyone recommend this over a speaker phone?
  • lemmerlemmer Posts: 2,676
    I don't mean to be rude, but I don't see why people can't just handle their phone business once they are parked. I know a lot of very successful people who do it. Some don't even own cell phones.
  • diro1diro1 Posts: 1
    I'm toying with the idea of buying a 1999-2000 911 C2 with manual shift. My price point is around $25,000. Don't want to go over that to be honest. This would be a 2nd/Weekender Toy to be garaged during the week. About me: I'm not mechanically inclined besides maybe doing an oil change and other basics, I don't care to get the car on the track and I've never driven a 911 (What am I in for!?). I'm attracted to the model b/c of the value/reliability (for the years I'm interested in) matched with performance. This would be my very first Porsche and would be a HUGE present to self. Some questions:

1. Ideal color combo is Silver or Black exterior with Gray interior. Why is this combination so hard to find in these years? The majority I've seen on autotrader.com are Black/Black. A few are Black/Tan or Silver/Tan. Need a tan or silver interior b/c of the heat during the summer in the dirty south.

2. Should I consider waiting a few more years to get another year? If so, what year is ideal (keeping in mind my price point)? Again, only looking at 1999 or newer. I don't mind waiting (and saving up) for several more years if it means I'm getting a car that most enthusiasts agree is a car that is more reliable with improved features.

3. Is there a big difference mechanically/reliably speaking between 1999 and 2000 year models? I know about the RMS issues with 996s so I'll be sure to steer away from one with this problem (getting it checked out at the dealer first).

4. I know about the pre-inspection and have read most of the articles/threads on 996s. Any other good sites to look at?

5. Is there a consensus around how many miles are too many? I've seen C2s with 60,000 miles to 115,000 miles

6. Does the plain C2 come with stability management/traction control? or is that only in the C4?
    I agree. The bluetooth speaker works very well, but I was not comfortable talking and driving in the prosche. Maybe because I have only had the car a couple of months, but it's a little more intense driving the porsche compared to my other car. I look for opportunities to drive a little faster and I'm always anticipating what the cars around me might do along with trying to be a good driver. I can't do all these things and talk at the same time, even to the person sitting next to me. When your guard goes down, your chance of an accident goes up. It's that simple.
    Regarding your questions #1 & #6, my 2006 911 is GT silver with black interior. I saw a silver with tan interior when I bought mine a couple of months ago. The're out there, but black on black has been very popular for awhile. I don't know why.

I believe PSM is standard on all 911's. Don't know if it was available on pre 997's. PASM is an option on the base 911 and standard on the S. Again, I'm talking 997's which I guess does not help you out a lot. The 997's started in 2005. The 996's went from 1997 to 2004 with the water cooled engine and the kidney shaped headlights. That web site Wikipedia will tell you more about the history of porsche than you would ever want to know.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    I don't mean to be rude, but I don't see why people can't just handle their phone business once they are parked. I know a lot of very successful people who do it. Some don't even own cell phones.

Maybe in Alabama that is possible. There is no way that in California traffic, and with my lifestyle, I could EVER conveniently just get on and off the freeway at my desire, and then find a convenient place to park, in order to take an important call. It's just plain not realistic. Not even close. Not in today's world. Not just from a business standpoint, but even a personal standpoint. I've also got a wife and kids... and life happens spontaneously. I need to be in the loop and available to my family when it is necessary.

Now that said, I'm not one to yak on a phone while 'm driving. I don't like doing that. This isn't rocket science to me. I just need a quality functional hands-free system that will comply with the law, and give me the convenience that I need.

From what I have learned in the last few days, I believe that the TOOKI system is absolutely the best one out there. It makes no sense whatsover, IMO, to use the Porsche telephone components that require the use of a sim card inserted into the dash. That's just plain old-fashioned and stupidly over-priced. It requires that the sim card be removed from your phone and re-inserted into the car. That's ridiculous to take apart a phone to transfer the sim card back and forth every time getting in and out of the car. Also, the idea of a dedicated sim card for the car means a dedicated phone number which means an added number to the wireless account. That's also a total waste, because the car would end up with it's own phone number that is different from my normal number. I sure don't want THAT experience. Besides, an iPhone doesn't even have a removeable sim card.

So... Bluetooth is the answer. TOOKI looks to be the best because it fully integrates into the existing hardware, is a quality approach, and while it is a bit pricey, it is not absurdly expensive.

I was quoted about $1100, which is made up of about half parts and half labor.
    Supposedly, it is a fully-integrated quality approach. That's what I'm after.

In light of the new upcoming hands-free law, the idea of NOT having the capability in my car is too unrealistic and old-fashioned for me.

My other cars already have Bluetooth connection to my phone and it's so quick and easy to answer or place a call when necessary. A few seconds, and it's a done deal.

Simple. Quick. Convenient.

No... I'm not about to pull out of traffic and find a place to park to take a simple quick phone call.

TM
  • lemmerlemmer Posts: 2,676
    I meant more like make your calls when you get where you are going. I see your point, but I personally don't want to be accessbile all the time - just a personality preference I suppose. What did you do back in the '80s? Or what did everybody else do for the first 100 years of driving without cellphones before then?
  • madmanmoomadmanmoo Posts: 2,039
    Hi TagMan,

I'll give you my experience with adding these units in. We have used the Tooki system and fully integrated it into the PCM. The only thing that sticks out is a tiny microphone near the rearview camera.

If I recall correctly, parts and labor had run around $900. It is a great system. However, the only thing that I would bring up is, Who is installing it? We have had some pretty shoddy work done by aftermarket guys and they literally tear the wiring apart leaving a Porsche that sometimes electronically malfunctions. At the very least, try and see if your local Porsche dealership techs will do it and warranty it. It might be worth the extra $200 just to have that piece of mind. Our dealership does that now. We're just tired of the issues revolving around 3rd party installers.

On another note, the '09 911's are rumored to have the technology upgrade. This isn't official yet, but a little birdie tells me that it will be soon. Porsche is rumored to have finally broken down and included touch screen Nav, bluetotooth and Ipod auxiliary hookups with their new model (not to mention a host of other changes).

Maybe it is time for an upgrade? Incidentally, how is the 1 Series treating you?

-moo
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 491
    Iphone does have a removeable sim card (access from the top).

You are right. It makes more sense to get a bluetooth earpiece or tooki than paying the "666" option.

Here is a DIY on Tooki from

Rennlist
  • skobolaskobola Posts: 207
    When I was looking to buy a Porsche, I have found that some of the Porsche dealers were recommending Parrot Bluetooth devices, which appear to be pretty simple and inexpensive, yet they work with the car's audio equipment. I have solved my BT needs by having the BMW Assist, which comes as an option on BMWs.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Nice post. I agree. For 65K you got a lot of fun.

But I wonder if going for new wouldn't have been better. Because Porsche has fantastic resale value , you paid 65K for a 2006. At 13,000 miles it is already more than halfway into needing four new tires for maybe $1500. What would a new 2008 have cost? What did you save?

Maybe the way to go on a 997 is to buy it new if you want only minimal options and to buy it used if you want lots of options, with the hope that you can pick up these "used" options cheaply. I for one don't believe the sales guys when they say that certain options "residualize well". Sure color is important, but is a used 997 worth $600 more after three years because it has the $1200 Boise option that "residualizes" at 50%?

My personal taste in a 997 would be to buy a new C2 couple with minimal options and just enjoy it. A C2 with just power seats and leather just might do it. The rest I don't see as desireable, some I see as tacky or even undesirable. The standard wheel/tire set up gives a better ride with less expensive replacement tires and less road noise than larger wheels and boots. The C4 option looks attractive for those of us in the Northeast, but how often are you really going to be driving a Porsche in ice and snow? I''d rather not decrease the luggage area, increase the weight and cost, and have larger, noisier boots in my left ear. Heated seats? Again, they sound good to anyone in New England, but really how often are you going to be out in the car on a 15 degree day? I can easily pass on the $1900 (!) "sport exhaust", no one on this board seems to think much of the Boise option, and do I really want a "sports chrono" on the dash when my $200 runner's chrono watch will do just fine? The color coded seat belts and Porsche crests on the seats are tacky. The rear wiper? Funny, no one ever talks about it. I suspect that it is a "good" thing to have and well worth the money.

YMMV
    Sounds like you got in down! I did it backwards-bought the car first and have been studying and learning about porsches ever since (about three months now). Test drove one on Saturday and went to the prosche dealer and bought a 911 on Sunday, and I'm the engineering type-usually analyze the heck out of everything before I buy. But, I got lucky, my 2006 911 coup has some options, three of which would have cost me over $10,000 if I had bought it new-GT Silver which is over $3000, full leather interior and 19" wheels. There is bose system with a lot of speakers (no big thing), power and heated seats (don't need the heat) with the driver side memory function (nice touch) and some other options. The car would have been pushing $85 to $90,000 if I bought it new(it is certified). You're right. You can't get your money out of those options. Those 19' wheels sure look good, but I would buy the S and get them as standard (if I were to buy new) along with PASM. But, man, I love that GT Silver. The shine is so deep. I was wondering if these custom colors that cost so much extra are a better grade of paint or better paint job than the regular colors? In other words, what are you paying extra for? Sorry about bragging so much about the car, but I never had anything like this in my life. I'm sure all this will wear off in a few months and I'll come down to earth. But, you're right, it's a lot of fun.

I'm enrolled in the Porsche high performance driving school on September 9th and 10th in Alabama. Besides wanting to know the limits of the car and how to regain control, if it gets away from me, I am hoping to learn more about the S. Maybe some day I'll be able to part with this car for another porsche, but not now.

Why aren't you people talking about the 2009's with the sequential-manual transmission and dual clutch? It sounds like a radical change from my 6 speed manual. Will it have those paddles on the back side of the steering wheel that I have heard about in race cars? I read the 2009's will be faster because of direct fuel injection.
  • vwguild1vwguild1 Posts: 98
    Fuel Straight Injection enhances fuel economy; not speed...
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Buylow, this SMG stuff with paddles in day to day use sures sounds a lot like what they already put on the 44K and up Caynenne for free.

You know, there is a "Poor Mans Watch Forum" (PMWF.com) for those of us that think that a $10,000 Rolex is a bad joke and in worse taste. Because you and I think a lot alike maybe we should start a Poor Man's Porsche Forum" for people who think that options like the $500 (Porsche factory cost of goods sold = two cents) wheel spacer deal or the $1900 "sports muffler" are the last straws for any rational Porsche buyer. (Didn't JC Whitney used to have a "muffler cut out kit" for $19 so when you went by your girlfriend's house you could really let it rip?)