Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Wagon Would You Like To See Offered?

Comments

• First and formost, any wagon should be FUNCTIONAL. I want a wagon that is fully capable of hauling a 17 foot canoe. That means a REAL roof rack or some kind of rain gutter to secure top lines. After-market roof racks are NOT the answer.
    just as important, it also needs something solid at the front and rear bumpers to secure bow and stern lines to. No vehicle currently on the market is capable of this very basic application.
  • First and formost, any wagon should be FUNCTIONAL. I want a wagon that is fully capable of hauling a 17 foot canoe. That means a REAL roof rack or some kind of rain gutter to secure top lines. After-market roof racks are NOT the answer.
    Just as important, it also needs something solid at the front and rear bumpers to secure bow and stern lines to. No vehicle currently on the market is capable of this very basic application.
  • carthellcarthell Posts: 124
    They're giving previews of the Venza.I haven't seen the vehicle up close, but it looks like it'll be the closest that the company will get to a wagon in this market. I am concerned about the proposed wheel sizes, however (19"? 20"? Why?).
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    The Venza bugs me. It is tantalizingly close to a wagon, yet is worse in every way. Just a little to tall/heavy/over engined/ and SUV like while at the same time being smaller than a regular Camry wagon would be.
  • I'm new to the wagon forum and appreciate knowing someone is tracking this topic. I have been following the TSX/Euro Accord wagon for many months now and would love to have one, Last week I was in touch with one of my clients who happens to work at American Honda Motor. He suggested to me that Honda has plans to unveil a wagon in the states based on the TSX platform. Can anyone validate this? And today I spoke to a local car dealer's attorney here in Columbus and he said these European models won't pass emmisions standards and the crash tests. It would require expensive re-tooling and the manufacturer just won't sell enough of these models to make it worth their while. Any comments would be appreciated.
  • atuchanatuchan Posts: 3
    I can not agree with you more! It will make a nice and roomy wagon. If they think it is too crumped, they could take the 3rd row seats for the U.S.

BTW, I really do not understand why Honda consistently market different cars under same names for different regions. It is so confusing.
    "BTW, I really do not understand why Honda consistently market different cars under same names for different regions. It is so confusing."

It is confusing if you're planning to ship vehicles from one market to another. Otherwise, the buyers in each market are definitely not confused about the offerings of Honda.

Honda is still offering trucks in north America, which sucks. Their offerings gained a few dimensions in size, too, which is probably a thrill-a-minute in the current environment of $4/gallon gasoline. (But that's another thread.)
  • hsweethsweet Posts: 1
    I'm on my third Taurus wagon now and will hang in there until something resembling this car is offered. It is a car with all of the comforts of a car, great gas mileage, good reliability, safety, enormous power and serious space. What more do people need?
  • A little quiet here lately so I will spice things up with this :)

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/10/report-acura-considering-tsx-wagon-for-the-u-- s/

I have been a long time Honda fan. I currently own an S2000. I have always loved the high revving engines from Honda and sporty suspensions and driving characteristics. I think Honda has missed the boat here. They had a perfect platform to fill the need for those looking for an alternative to SUV's. My perfect wagon would be like to the old Mazda Protege5 in looks and handling with one of Honda's K20 engines that get at least 30 mpg. Currently the only thing that comes close is the Mazda3 hatch. A great car but I think Honda could make a better wagon. My current wagon is a 2002 Forester which works perfect for my 2 greyhounds but is no fun to drive. I like the Impreza/WRX but not the weight and fuel penalty that come with the AWD which I only really need maybe 6 times in a year.
  • Got mine last January (6M) and had been going to the pumps less often. With a good technique, you can get more than 50 mpg highway. A full tank takes me over 550 miles. Diesel costs about the same as RUG, if not lower.

Lots of torque, and you'll soon forget you're not driving a gas engine. Hills and mountains, no problem. I climb the Pocono Mountains in PA on 6th gear, no sweat. Not the fastest car, I agree, but who needs speeding tickets anyway? 75 is plenty fast.

Am looking to buy another diesel wagon, manual as well, but there's not much choice around. Used to buy Audis but they're not offering AWD with manual transmission anymore. Their only diesel is the FWD A3, but no manual. A BMW 335D is selling for nearly 50K, well-equipped (RWD only, sorry), and hate their "only run-flat tires" stance. Don't like SUV's or cross-overs, even if they are diesels. Been there, done that. I noticed some posts complaining about the lack of Japanese wagons, which I could consider. Wagons don't sell, huh? Did you ever seen a VW TDI wagon on a lot sitting for a long time? Had to wait over six months for mine, and had to pay sticker. You might have a better luck.
  • What are the options for an AWD station wagon with a manual now? BMW or Subaru flat 4? That's it?

The writing has been on the wall for a while. The 70s gas reality slap started the smaller car on the US roads. And while a lot of people continue to have their heads shoved up the tailpipe of an SUV, it's time is at end.

What's with Audi going exclusively upmarket? What happened to the availability of a solid AWD krautrocket wagon with a manual?

I guess as a nation we'll continue to be deluded about being upscale. As for me, all I want is a solid 6 cylinder AWD manual wagon.
  • i dont think crossovers are the same as wagons. Just look at their mpg and weight. I'd like to see hyundai sonata wagon, ford fusion, honda accord and toyota camry... to compete with the more expensive european brands wagons (audi, vw, volvo)
    Except, well, it's an Acura TSX. Not that I believe that there is anything particularly bad about the brand (unlike what many others think, the grille isn't offensive to me). The price range immediately puts it out of my hands.

For us ordinary mortals, Honda presents a SUV lite crossover called the Crosstour. It has a chunky grill, weighs nearly two tons ($4/gallon, here we come!), and a rear only a pro wrestler would love (Hogan delivers the Atomic Butt Hike (tm)! the opponent signals submission! It's all over!!!!).

Sigh.

One day, they'll get it.

C'mon American auto market, there's a almost completely unfilled hole in the affordable midsize wagon market that needs to be filled!
  • Why can't anyone sell a good wagon in this country for less than $50k? I'm a gainfully employed mechanical engineer who likes performance but has to carry "stuff" as a dad. I can't afford a Mercedes or an Audi. The CTS wagon looks nice, but starts at $48k, come on! The Opel Insignia would be fine as a Buick. The Accord wagon would work too. I'm so sick of these bloated "crossovers" that weigh over 2 tons and sit up so high you get sea-sick on a cloverleaf.
    Strictly, if you restrain the options, you can keep the MSRP around $42k. Unfortunately, the SRX competes against the wagon on price & packaging. I doubt that the CTS wagon will be around for long in this country.

I would not mind a comeback of the Malibu Maxx with a longer cargo area. I probably won't see it as long as Chevrolet continues to sell trucks/crossovers.

My dream vehicle would be a Nissan Altima wagon, which is probably sold somewhere in the world other than here.
  • bnickelbnickel Posts: 2
    The most recent time I looked, the Subaru Outback seemed like a reasonable choice, until I drove it. Sure it stuck to the road nicely, but it was such a dog I was afraid I would get creamed on the highway. Once you move up to the 6 cyl it gets better, but the mileage is poor and they don't have a manual. I really want a manual transmission, and perhaps a minimum of computer chip driven accelerator/brakes. Did you hear about the electric parking brake on the Subaru? How do you release it if the battery dies? (you have to crawl under the car!).
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,147
    You'd have to be more specific as to what you consider "good."
    Also, what country are we talking about? Cause here in the US, the CTS starts at $38k, not $48k.

There are plenty of good choices from where I sit. The Audi A3 starts to $27k. Saab 9-3 starts at $30k.
    A4 Avant - $35k
    328 wagon - $36k
    V70 - $38k
    9-5 - $40k

My personal choice right now would be a Jetta TDI wagon - $25k.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,147
    It is a shame they stopped offering the Legacy GT wagon. Turbo and manual trans. yum. Oh well. Could always try to find a used one.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• With money in my hand ready to buy a luxury wagon my first choice -- a BMW 5-Series, X-Drive Sport Wagon is no longer available in the US and one probably cannot successfully import the Euro "Tourer" model to the US. My second choice -- a Benz E-Series wagon has been reintroduced to the US market but only with a single engine choice, the 268 hp six which is not a particularly good performer nor economical. I'd buy the Benz wagon in an instant if they offered it with the turbo diesel making 400p/ft of torque and getting 33mpg highway mileage. It's hard to fathom what goes through the Teutonic marketing mind, if anything. What do they really gain by limiting the wagon choices except less potential customers. How much would it really cost BMW to introduce the 5-Series "Tourer" into the US market or MB to offer its only wagon with a diesel option? Its safe to say that I won't be spending my money on a German wagon very soon. Audis and VWs are out of the question. Too many problems with them in the past.
  • Amen! to this comment. Also, I never believed the often-repeated statement that wagons were SO unpopular--they started to disappear when SUVs took over the roads. But you see '90 Corolla Wagons--20 years later! I want a DECENT, safe wagon at an affordable price. Have test-driven most every SUV out there and STILL want a wagon. By the way, wagons NEVER disappeared in Europe or Japan--this was an American problem of NOT paying attention to customers.