Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Wagon Would You Like To See Offered?

124»

Comments

• What are the options for an AWD station wagon with a manual now? BMW or Subaru flat 4? That's it?

The writing has been on the wall for a while. The 70s gas reality slap started the smaller car on the US roads. And while a lot of people continue to have their heads shoved up the tailpipe of an SUV, it's time is at end.

What's with Audi going exclusively upmarket? What happened to the availability of a solid AWD krautrocket wagon with a manual?

I guess as a nation we'll continue to be deluded about being upscale. As for me, all I want is a solid 6 cylinder AWD manual wagon.
  • i dont think crossovers are the same as wagons. Just look at their mpg and weight. I'd like to see hyundai sonata wagon, ford fusion, honda accord and toyota camry... to compete with the more expensive european brands wagons (audi, vw, volvo)
  • carthellcarthell Posts: 126
    Except, well, it's an Acura TSX. Not that I believe that there is anything particularly bad about the brand (unlike what many others think, the grille isn't offensive to me). The price range immediately puts it out of my hands.

For us ordinary mortals, Honda presents a SUV lite crossover called the Crosstour. It has a chunky grill, weighs nearly two tons ($4/gallon, here we come!), and a rear only a pro wrestler would love (Hogan delivers the Atomic Butt Hike (tm)! the opponent signals submission! It's all over!!!!).

Sigh.

One day, they'll get it.

C'mon American auto market, there's a almost completely unfilled hole in the affordable midsize wagon market that needs to be filled!
  • Why can't anyone sell a good wagon in this country for less than $50k? I'm a gainfully employed mechanical engineer who likes performance but has to carry "stuff" as a dad. I can't afford a Mercedes or an Audi. The CTS wagon looks nice, but starts at $48k, come on! The Opel Insignia would be fine as a Buick. The Accord wagon would work too. I'm so sick of these bloated "crossovers" that weigh over 2 tons and sit up so high you get sea-sick on a cloverleaf.
  • carthellcarthell Posts: 126
    Strictly, if you restrain the options, you can keep the MSRP around $42k. Unfortunately, the SRX competes against the wagon on price & packaging. I doubt that the CTS wagon will be around for long in this country.

I would not mind a comeback of the Malibu Maxx with a longer cargo area. I probably won't see it as long as Chevrolet continues to sell trucks/crossovers.

My dream vehicle would be a Nissan Altima wagon, which is probably sold somewhere in the world other than here.
  • bnickelbnickel Posts: 2
    The most recent time I looked, the Subaru Outback seemed like a reasonable choice, until I drove it. Sure it stuck to the road nicely, but it was such a dog I was afraid I would get creamed on the highway. Once you move up to the 6 cyl it gets better, but the mileage is poor and they don't have a manual. I really want a manual transmission, and perhaps a minimum of computer chip driven accelerator/brakes. Did you hear about the electric parking brake on the Subaru? How do you release it if the battery dies? (you have to crawl under the car!).
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,690
    You'd have to be more specific as to what you consider "good."
    Also, what country are we talking about? Cause here in the US, the CTS starts at $38k, not $48k.

There are plenty of good choices from where I sit. The Audi A3 starts to $27k. Saab 9-3 starts at $30k.
    A4 Avant - $35k
    328 wagon - $36k
    V70 - $38k
    9-5 - $40k

My personal choice right now would be a Jetta TDI wagon - $25k.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,690
    It is a shame they stopped offering the Legacy GT wagon. Turbo and manual trans. yum. Oh well. Could always try to find a used one.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• With money in my hand ready to buy a luxury wagon my first choice -- a BMW 5-Series, X-Drive Sport Wagon is no longer available in the US and one probably cannot successfully import the Euro "Tourer" model to the US. My second choice -- a Benz E-Series wagon has been reintroduced to the US market but only with a single engine choice, the 268 hp six which is not a particularly good performer nor economical. I'd buy the Benz wagon in an instant if they offered it with the turbo diesel making 400p/ft of torque and getting 33mpg highway mileage. It's hard to fathom what goes through the Teutonic marketing mind, if anything. What do they really gain by limiting the wagon choices except less potential customers. How much would it really cost BMW to introduce the 5-Series "Tourer" into the US market or MB to offer its only wagon with a diesel option? Its safe to say that I won't be spending my money on a German wagon very soon. Audis and VWs are out of the question. Too many problems with them in the past.
  • Amen! to this comment. Also, I never believed the often-repeated statement that wagons were SO unpopular--they started to disappear when SUVs took over the roads. But you see '90 Corolla Wagons--20 years later! I want a DECENT, safe wagon at an affordable price. Have test-driven most every SUV out there and STILL want a wagon. By the way, wagons NEVER disappeared in Europe or Japan--this was an American problem of NOT paying attention to customers.
  • I'll be in the market for a new wagon by early 2013 and would love to be able to make the difficult choice among a Ford Fusion, a Camry hybrid, or a VW Passat wagon. If the Passat came in a hybrid, too, I'd just march into my local dealership and order one, but VW doesn't seem to be heading in the hybrid direction just yet, or at least not quickly enough to suit me. The bottom line for me is, well ... the bottom line. I can't afford to put more than $30K into a car, and would prefer to keep it closer to $25K, but I'm addicted to the convenience, size, and decent mileage of the 2001 VW Passat 1.4L turbo wagon I currently drive. Can't stand big-[non-permissible content removed] SUVs, and crossovers just seem like the worst of all worlds; there's nothing quite right about any of them (and I've recently test-driven the Mazda 5 and Toyota Venza, both which are unsatisfying). Four cylinders are plenty for me--I'm a conservative driver who has no addiction to speed, and I prefer caution as a safety tactic over quick maneuverability (though I recognize that there are times when the latter is indispensable). I hope the manufacturers all realize that wagons--real ones, not crossovers--are still a very viable niche.
124»
This discussion has been closed.