Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,899
edited February 1 in Volkswagen
Share your experiences purchasing the VW TDI Golf, Jetta, or Passat. How did you do?

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• dolphindolphin Posts: 71
    Finalizing my order on a 2005 Passat TDI GLS Wagon. Does anyone have any opinion on the improved ride or looks that the 17 inch wheels give? Full-boat on options and will get it for 1/2-way between invoice and sticker...
  • winwin Posts: 2
    I have the same question about the 17" wheels too.

But the dealer I am talking to does not want to budge off of sticker or the 2005 Passat GLS TDI wagon they have on the lot with the leather package.

How did you get them to come of the sticker price? Who is you VW dealer. Maybe you could send me a private message to my email wdmosely@yahoo.com
  • No effort on my part concerning the price...that was their first offer and after seeing the prices here on this website, I snapped it up straight away...will email you off line.
  • lee_wlee_w Posts: 239
    Please share your information with the whole board. That is the purpose for this discussion. We would all like to know your dealer. Thanks.
  • Scott VW in Rhode Island
  • winwin Posts: 2
    Had a pretty bad buying experience at Reydel VW in Edison NJ Yesterday. They did a bait and switch on me at the end and did not honor an agreement on the price of the car. Had some kind of Gap insurance that I never even got a policy for. They just could not stand that they had made a really good deal and I was ready to pay.

Salesman was inordinately slow; I guess because they were conniving in the back area. They were basically unresponsive to request in general. Not a place that you can do business. Try to avoid this dealership if you can.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    If the deal was through VW Credit, Gap insurance is standard. Were they trying to charge extra for it?
  • Gagprice, You are right I doubt if there are any 2004 TDIs left. However, there are 2005 TDI Jettas being sold at invoice. Even though they say 2005 they are exactly the same as 2004. The new model dubbed 2006 is substantially different and all-in-the-know know it is coming in March. The VW dealers are trying to hoodwink customers not aware of the new model coming.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,050
    Thanks for checking. I wonder if the dealers will be even more willing to deal when the 2006 models hit the showrooms. I know the dealer close to me in CA is not doing too well since they stopped the TDIs from coming into CA in 2004. I have never seen a customer in there when I stop by and ask about used TDIs. I would like to get one and leave it at my place in Hawaii. Not sure whether to get the Jetta or Passat Wagon. I would like a fully loaded with leather version. I can get it in Hawaii as they sell mostly TDIs they just stick to MSRP. I guess you can do that if you have the best mileage vehicles in a place where gas has always been high. I can get B100 over there and it is very price competitive with regular #2 diesel.
  • no matter what anyone says, there are not many vw passat GLS tdi wagons around. I have found them coming in sans ESP with a credit. Need ESP to help in bad climate areas. Anyway all of this effects the price a dealer is willing to sell its vehicle to you. My deal was for more than 1300 off MSRP. No dealer prep or anything unnecessary on the vehicle..

Date of purchase was 12/28/04 and I even got an extra 500 from VW for financing it with them at 5.49%. Hall Imports near Milwaukee
  • dolphindolphin Posts: 71
    $28,500. Leather w/wood, (which comes with winter package and ESP)...What do you think?
    Where is the dealership? I think that is good price for a nice car. Just what I am thinking of buying... I won't need the winter package, I avoid the cold parts of the country as much as possible :-)
  • I saved 1300 plus by traveling to Milwaukee. I enjoyed the trip home and averaged 42+ miles per gallon.
  • I purchased a passat gls tdi wagon (2005), with the only option being 17" wheels. It was purchased in so. fla just after the hurricanes.I paid 24,900 plus tag and title fee of 160.00 and sales tax. The total was just under actual retail sticker out the door. The dealer tried to make me finance the car to get the 500.00 rebate. They had already previously agreed to give me the rebate and finally backed off.
  • hankyhanky Posts: 6
    I negotiated down to $200 below invoice on a 2005 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon. Is that a good price?
  • With the 2006 Passat, is this the right time to buy? Any idea when the 2006 Passat TDI would be avl?

For 2005 Passat TDI GL, Passat TDI GLS with Leather : what is the best price in PA/NJ area ?

I wil be driving ~45K miles per year.

Any feedback on reliability / problem areas to look for, would be appreciated.
  • cablackcablack Posts: 45
    Sorry but I don't have a price paid or a buying experience: one reason being that you can't get a VW TDI in California due to emissions restrictions.

So my question is: when will these autos be available in CA?
  • Want to buy 2005 VW Passat TDI station wagon. When are 2006 models coming out, any dealer incentives to sell 2005 models, any buying experiences, suggestions to share? Live in St. Louis, MO area.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,899
    No word on the 2006, so it'll probably be late summer like most 2006 models. You can get info on pricing and incentives by starting at our new cars page. You can build your Passat TDI, and at the end of the process, you'll see a link to any incentives available. You can also visit the incentives & rebates page here.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Just purchased an 05 Passat GLS TDI Sedan, Graphite Blue, Grey Leather, cold weather package, wood trim package, MSRP $27,948...price paid $26,200 and also got $500 VW Cash (I bought an 04 Jetta GLS TDI in April, love that car too).

I can now officially be dubbed Mr. Diesel...every vehicle I own is a diesel.....

03 Ford F350 CrewCab King Ranch 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel
    04 Jetta GLS TDI (cold weather/leather)
    05 Passat GLS TDI (cold weather/leather/wood)

I pick up the Passat tomorrow morning. I wasn't interested in waiting on the '06s, the 05 body is just perfect for what I need/want (plus I wanted a diesel).
    I can now officially be dubbed Mr. Diesel...every vehicle I own is a diesel..

Smart man! When the rest of us are paying $3 a gallon for gas you can fillup at McDonald's and save a bundle doing it... I'm envious.

Where did you get the good deal on the Passat?
  • "Where did you get the good deal on the Passat?"

I picked it up in South Bend, IN at Gurley Leep MotorWerks (Mercedes, Audi, VW). I was pleased with the deal, and the way I was treated.

They also have an 05 E320 CDI. I looked at it, but didn't think that the bells and whistles were enough to warrant paying double the price of the VW. When you boil it down, a car is just that, a car, transportation.

Aside from the CDI, they also have in stock an 05 Passat TDI Wagon, and a few Jetta TDIs (wagon and sedan). Didn't make my way over to the Golfs and Bugs, so they might have some in stock. Only reason I saw the Jettas was that they were lined up next to the Passats.
    I want a wagon but am not sure if the Passat is that much more of a vehicle than the Jetta wagon. The Jetta TDI gets much better mileage. I sat in them both and did not see a lot of difference. They both seemed small after getting out of a Suburban.
  • gagrice,

I moved this conversation over to Passat TDI thread...
  • I was looking for used Jettas, but can't find what I want. So I'm looking at 05 TDI models. It seems likely that the financing/deals might get better in March since the new 06 model is coming, or is that just driven by whether the lot/region has a bunch of 05's to get rid of? The 1.9/2.9 financing is good but I would like to wait if it's going to be 0%, or hurry up and buy by Feb 28 if it's going to go up. Is there any way to know these things? Edmunds says they are selling at MSRP around here and the three local dealers have several TDIs but not lots of them.
  • I purchased an 05 Golf GLS TDI last Friday for $100 over invoice and I got the 1.9% interest. Don't let the dealer tell you that no one is discounting TDIs, it just is not true.
    What dealership in what town? I may have to get on a plane...
  • "I got the 1.9% interest"

Yeah, I had heard they had the good interest on the Jettas, Golfs and Bugs. I got 3.9% on my Passat...through VW...and they weren't supposed to have any "good" financing, and I consider 3.9% on a TDI pretty good when they aren't offering any financing deals.

So what does $100 over invoice translate to in price of the car?
  • Sorry, I included the saleman's name which is not allowed on this forum so my post was deleted.

The "translation" is as follows"

Jim Clark VW, Lawrence, KS. about 50 miles from Kansas City.

2005 Golf GLS TDI Manual, ESP, and CWP MSRP $20,585.

Price was Edmunds Invoice + $329.00 VW Ad Share + $100 = $19,671. Minus VW Loyalty $500.00 = $19,171 + tax. This dealership does not charge any "FEES".