Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,676
    I'm all for explaining the attributes of D2 but lets keep it real.

Check 2009 Jetta TDI automatic. 20 owners reporting mileage. Average 40.3 MPG.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,881
    Thanks..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I'm looking at the TDI and am wondering if the $1300 good gas millage voucher will be in addition to the $4500. I've got a '99 Honda van I'd like to trade ... this would certainly sweeten the deal!
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,487
    Think of it as an $1,300 rebate with.... a lot of paper work. It may/may not apply to you. Here is a link to the IRS form 8910 link title. (aka rebate form :P )

Like everything the government does, there are conditions...( time limits, cut offs, situations, catches, procedures, inclusions, exclusions, updates, etc, etc., )

You can google IRS.gov site for the lastest information. Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit link title ... "Advanced Lean Burn Technology Vehicles Purchasers of advanced lean burn technology motor vehicles may claim a credit of $1,300 per vehicle."...
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,676
    The clunker program is different and not related. It is between the car dealer and the Feds. You bring in a clunker that qualifies and the dealer gives you $4500 toward your new higher mileage vehicle. The $1300 tax credit comes from the IRS if you meet the criteria. If you pay AMT you cannot get any tax credits. I would look for the dealers to try and steal most of that $4500 from poorly equipped buyers. Go in and make your deal. Then bring your clunker in for the final. If you pay MSRP for the Jetta TDI the dealer is gouging about $1300 of your clunker right there. Paying over invoice is just crazy. Supposedly the Clunker plan will be retroactive back to March. I think I would take a chance and make a deal now if it fits the current criteria. I would not count on the Honda being eligible. The Odyssey is rated 19 MPG which is not in the criteria mentioned in the bill. The vehicle has to get 18 MPG or less to qualify.
  • getwiredgetwired Posts: 30
    If people are reporting paying under invoice for a TDI Sportwagon, there must be a dealer incentive. Anyone know how much? I'm guessing about $1000. Thoughts?
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 154
    09 Reflex silver, auto, sunroof, 17" Avignon wheels, rubber mats and trunk liner, I pod adapter, 84/60,000 extended. $7,800 trade in on my '03 TrailBlazer. OTD price including TTL was $21,271.00.
  • mag225mag225 Posts: 3
    "#483 of 526 Looking at 2009 TDI by mag225 Jun 06, 2009 (9:00 am)
    Going down today to check out a 2009.

I've been quoted $21,009 (email) which includes destination, plus $100 doc and $10 for temp tag.

It's a TDI in Salsa Red, 6 speed manual. Don't need/want sunroof (have a Mustang Convert). So pretty much no options.

The price almost seems to good. But I do have it in writing.

So your thoughts?

Thanks "

Just picked up the Jetta $22,837 OTD price.

BTW. It came with a free sunroof. Yep a free sunroof. The dealer and VW couldn't explain it as it's not on the window sticker.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 154
    A free sunroof???? That saved you a $1,000. Wish they would have made that kind of mistake for me. Enjoy.
  • The $4500 Clunker plan will not be retractive. The way I read it, the plan starts when the law is enacted. Here's the section of the bill:

(A) GENERAL PERIOD OF ELIGIBILITY- A voucher issued under the Program shall be used only in connection with the purchase or qualifying lease of new fuel efficient automobiles that occur between--
    (i) the date of enactment of this Act; and
    (ii) the date that is 1 year after the date on which the regulations promulgated under subsection (d) are implemented.

Also, check the combined milage of your Clunker on the govt. website: fueleconomy dot gov.
    The older Odysseys got 19 mpg combined which as johnm suggests is 1 mpg too high to qualify. More recent year Odysseys get 18 mpg which would qualify for the voucher.

Keep in mind that if you take the $4500 voucher the vehicle has to go straight to the junk yard. So you are probably better off trading the Odyssey if it's worth more than $4500.

If you want to read the law go to the website house dot gov and look up HR2751, which from what I'm hearing will pass the Senate this week and go to the pres. for signature.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    So you are probably better off trading the Odyssey if it's worth more than $4500.

Plus you would save the sales tax on the trade-in amount in most states....over $400 in Chicago.
  • gasmangasman Posts: 16
    Hi nyyace,

What was the invoice price of your Jetta TDI?

Please send me the name and number of the salesman by pm to dwbonanza@aol.com.

Thanks
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    Deductible sales tax is another reason to buy a new car now but I'd rather save the tax then deduct it.
  • vwgregvwgreg Posts: 22
    I am vw dealer. there in no manufacturer incentive on a tdi wagon. nearly all of them are sold before hitting the ground
  • vwgregvwgreg Posts: 22
    The 1300 is a federal income tax credit. the 4,500 is a cash voucher for trading an older and less efficient vehicle
  • mam567mam567 Posts: 2
    After much shopping around, I finally have a car on its way to me. It's the wagon, manual, blue graphite, with roof and 17" wheels. I would rather not have the 17" wheels, but I have looked for months for a manual wagon with a roof and feel lucky that the dealer was able to snag this one that just arrived at the port. I am getting it for $500 over invoice. My other option was to have a dealer do a trade with another dealer, but then someone else would have had to drive the car. This one will have no miles on it.

Anyone know how long it takes for a car to clear customs and make it to the dealer? I am so anxious to have it!

Someone a few posts ago recommended Palisades VW, and I second that, even though in the end, we are buying the car from our local dealer. It was Palisades that originally offered me this price. Another dealer that was very nice to deal with and that was willing to give the same price was Faulkner Ciocca in PA.
  • Fantastic deal! :) Sounds too good to be true!
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Posts: 126
    quote:(I am vw dealer. there in no manufacturer incentive on a tdi wagon. nearly all of them are sold before hitting the ground)

My local dealer has had a couple wagons sitting on the lot now for at least a month.And he has at least a dozen sedans also just sitting....
  • philoslphilosl Posts: 2
    Hi, Dave:

Please kindly send me the name and the number of the salesman at philosli@gmail.com. Thank you!

Best regards,
    philos