Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    http://www.edmunds.com/tmv/used/index.html

All other speculation about your question aside, such as inherent mechanical, electrical and reliability issues, use the above link to get an idea of how good or bad the 2003 Jetta TDI with 196,000 Km deal is.

My rough estimate using their appraisal site was......(all prices are in U.S. funds).

Trade in Value........$3900.00
    Private Party sale...$5100.00
    Dealer Retail..........$6375.00
  • Thanks! for the link. Based on all the info I know; kms, colour, opitions etc. This is what it gave me US dollars. (not bad after all paying 8,000 total canadian) fingers crossed on that, still need to hear from my mechanic. :-) :blush:

Trade in Value........$6,112
    Private Party sale...$7,676
    Dealer Retail...........$9,136
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-Jetta-GLS-TDI-2003-VOLKSWAGEN-GLS-TDI_- - - W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ca982958cQQitemZ260541945228QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

When I was shopping for my 2006 Jetta TDI, I found that the 'Real World' pricing is on eBAy.
    For some strange reason Edmunds tends to over value some models and undervalue others. (Don't forget, the "Exceptional Condition" is a used car pricing myth, they will gladly use it to sell you one but never will they give you that condition if they are taking it in trade)

This above listing might be close to how your car would look, this one already includes a new timing belt and water pump..no bids yet at $5000 but it's still got a day to go ( posted on Jan 28 2010)

Check out the "Completed Sales" to see what price range they are actually being sold for. I don't think eBay is any scarrier than dealing with a used car salesman, his manager, and his accountant. Craigslist is another rich source of pricing info.
  • biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    I am just in the beginning stages of researching a new car, and already I'm confused with VW. Is the Jetta Sportwagen the same thing as a Golf? The Jetta SW is available as a 2010 model, isn't it? I'm thinking about the diesel version. Any pros or cons about that?

We are coming off a 2000 Maxima GLE, which I love(d), with about 125,000 miles on it. When I was shopping for that one was probably the last time I was posting regularly here on Edmunds.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,091
    The Jetta Sportswagen TDI is not the Golf. There is a Golf wagon that is not offered in the USA yet. It will be smaller than the Sportswagen. So far It looks like the Sportswagen is a real hit. 80% are sold with the TDI engine. Not real easy to find one. But worth it if you do. 50 MPG on the highway is common with that vehicle.
    OK, thanks.

I'm in Northern VA area. If anyone posting here has any recommendations for dealers, I'm all ears. I've mostly owned Nissans and will be test-driving the Rogue in comparison with the Jetta SW.
    If you can wait a few months, the total re-do of the VW Jetta TDI will be out in 2011 form, a little bigger overall, (nothing wrong with that) and from the gossip I hear on the internet, VW is going to hold the prices close to or less than the 2010. (also very nice)

If better mpg's are on your buying list...go for the new TDI, 42+ mpg in any of the VW incarnations that match your present and future needs.

If you decide on the Nissan Rogue, 24 mpg tops, you will spend the rest of your days putting gas in it and wishing you had waited for a TDI.
    I didn't know that about the 2011 being bigger. Are we still talking about the Sportwagen here or do you mean the sedan? I'm more interested in the wagon.

I think I've gone off the idea of the Rogue. Right now I'm liking the Subarus best, looking at Forester and Outback. Or the Passat wagon.
    Well you can't get the Passat Wagon in Turbo Diesel anymore, so it looks llike all your three choices are pretty much the same in the MPG area. And of course theres that Subie AWD bonus that you can't get in the VW Passat.

People who own Subies are as fanatical as any bunch I have ever met, so there must be lots of reasons.

I too stare everytime one goes flying by me blasting through snow drifts on the road.

I love the look of the new Legacy Wagons, so smooooth.

I don't think we will ever see the Subie Turbo Diesel in North American markets, even tho they build them in the U.S.

The Forester has great head room and looks like a little tank and in the top of the line 'leather-loaded' version should make you happy long after the payment$ are done.
  • mattydmattyd Posts: 21
    What is up w/ this pricing?! I just called about a used Golf (Jetta in US) CL wagon that the dealer's currently using for parts delivery. 6000 km on the clock. They want C$31k, or US$29100. Huh?

I thought it was a misprint where they mistakenly printed MSRP on the ad, but this is what the dealer just emailed me. They're in the Guelph area of Ontario.

"[this] will clarify how and why we get to the asking price that we are advertising...
    MSRP OPTIONS
    AJ539M - Golf Wagon 2.0 TDI DSG Comfortline 6sp $28,275.00
    4X4 - Rear Side Airbags $450.00
    TOTAL MSRP $28,725.00
    LESS: DISCOUNT ($515.00)
    SUBTOTAL $28,210.00
    DEALER OPTIONS AND CHARGES
    * $0.00
    Golf - No Chip Hoodguard $356.00
    Golf Wagon - Premium Window Tint $449.00
    Winter tires on existing alloys $660.00
    Administration Fee $199.00
    Freight and PDI $0.00
    Auto Arm Security $99.00
    Air Conditioning Tax $0.00
    Ontario Tire Stewardship (5 tires) $29.20
    Environmental Paint Protection $344.85
    Interior Protection $299.95
    Monster Mats $139.00
    Nitro Safe with Tire-Guard Road Hazard Warranty $199.00
    TOTAL SALES PRICE: $30,985.00
    LESS: TRADE ALLOWANCE $0.00
    PLUS: LEASE SHORTFALL ON TRADE $0.00
    NET DIFFERENCE: $30,985.00
    GST: $1,549.25
    PST: $2,478.80
    License Fee $10.00
    LIEN PAYOUT / CASHBACK: $0.00
    [GRAND TOTAL AFTER TAX]: $35,023.05 "

It looks like they have added every possible extra they could think of to get to this price. Even if it was a Highline I think it'd be high. Remember, it has 6kkm on it already. What price should I come back with? TIA.
    Is this a VW Dealer. I have seen dealers ask more for used than new on high demand cars. That is way over the top in my book. It's is used and I would not pay anywhere close to MSRP for the car. Start under invoice and don't go a penny over invoice. Email more dealers. That one sounds like a real shyster. I see the Golf Wagon has replaced the Jetta Sportswagen. I wonder if it is smaller than the Jetta model? Looks very nice. I could go for one of those myself. Not for anywhere near what that dealer is asking.

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/live/article/378750--vw-golf-on-the-double
  • dw438dw438 Posts: 41
    FYI:

2010 Golf Wagon (CAN)
    2010 Jetta Sportswagen (USA/Mexico)

2010 Golf Variant (EU/AUS/NZ ect.)
    2010 Golf Estate (UK)

All the same.

The first two are manufactured at the VW plant in Mexico. There have been some instances of Sportwagens with the Golf badge sold in the US [Whoops!]

All of course are direct descendants of the famed VW Type 3 Variant [EU, rest of world] or Squareback [US] wagon from the early 1960's.
    That is interesting. I think the Golf front end through me a curve. So the new Sportswagen will look the same as the Golf Estate?
  • dw438dw438 Posts: 41
    They look the same. Visual proof - see http://www.volkswagen.co.uk for Great Britain
    and compare it to http://www.vw.ca for Canada
    and also compare it to http://www.vw.com for the US.

Canada and UK models have fog lights in the front, for example.

All can have the TDI Diesel option - go for it.
  • I AGREE THE PRICES ARE CRAZY AND DEALERS ARENT REALLY NEGOTIATING.

IM LOOKING INTO THE JETTA WAGON TDI. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE PRICES PEOPLE HAVE BEEN PAYING FOR IT. IM LOCATED IN CA BUT MAY BUY OUTSIDE THE STATE

ALSO..... HOW IS THE MAITENENCE ON THIS VEHICLE. VW DOESNT HAVE THE BEST REPUTATION, HAS THIS CHANGED?

THANKS
  • mattydmattyd Posts: 21
    jpotok said "I AGREE THE PRICES ARE CRAZY AND DEALERS ARENT REALLY NEGOTIATING. IM LOOKING INTO THE JETTA WAGON TDI. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE PRICES PEOPLE HAVE BEEN PAYING FOR IT. IM LOCATED IN CA BUT MAY BUY OUTSIDE THE STATE ..."

Hey, what did we do wrong?!

;) I.e., lose the all-caps in your posts lest we think you're shouting angrily at your fellow Edmundsers.
  • UPDATE!

My dealer called yesterday to inform me that production of my red 4DR manual Golf TDI has begun (or will begin soon).

ETA: Early May, possibly late April.

I put my deposit down in August. Agreed on MSRP.

CAN'T FREAKIN' WAIT! :)
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,306
    . . .my red 4DR manual Golf TDI . . .

This is exactly the car I'd pick if they were readily available and not treated as rare objects of art by the dealers.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it; please keep us posted.
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    edited February 2010
    My goodness -- you ordered your TDI in August 2009 and it will be delivered in late April or early May 2010? That's eight to nine months! My wife and I are thinking about ordering a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/6-Speed Manual, but not if it'll take VW that long to crank one out.

I'll bet you're excited -- enjoy! :shades:
    Not sure where you live. Our local San Diego dealers have several Sportwagen TDIs with both manual and DSG on their lots. I don't think they are in as short supply as the European built Golf TDI.
  • oli1oli1 Posts: 33
    There are a number "10 TDI wagons here at one dealer in the Torrance area and some of the other dealers here don't have much selection.
  • salzosalzo Posts: 9
    Greetings folks... Help me think for a moment...

Assuming I don't need touch screen, alloys, and a trip computer, why would I want a TDI over a gas engine (base TDI vs base 'S').

100k miles in gas car - 11,000 dollars in gas + 20K car = 31000 (25mpg, 2.75/gallon)

100k miles in diesel car - 7800 in fuel. + 25k car = 32800 (37mpg, 2.90 / gallon)

So even after Obama benefit, we're about equal after 100K miles.

Bottom line - Diesel shouldn't be a "luxury". It should be an engine choice. I ought to be able to get a Sportwagen diesel for not much more than the 2.5L.

Am I all wet? Unless I'm looking at 200K miles, why would I want the diesel?

Tom
    When you go to sell the VW TDI you will get more than the original difference in return. Plus the driving is so much more pleasant. If the price of fuel goes up you are ahead.
  • mdl3r1mdl3r1 Posts: 21
    I agree with Gagrice. PLUS:
    1. Some of us expect a LOT more than 100 or 200K out of this vehicle. Diesel engines can easily do 300 K, or even 500K. If one intends to KEEP the car as long as it can go, (which I do) and the car is well maintained, kept and cared for (I try to do so and most everything I have lasts a long time by careful, gentle and proper use), for me, personally, the diesel is a "log-term" way to go.
    2. As Gagrice said, when gas is back to ~ 4 dollar mark, and diesel is about same or barely more than Premium gas that others put in their premium cars, a few cents more net you 12 more MPG over those 25 (almost 50% more miles!
    3. Despite the problems with BioDiesel since the 2009 Jetta, etc...if push really comes to shove, and gas is really scarce...some folks have rigged up biodiesel and one will at least run the thing, even if a "Check Engine Light" happens or oil gets diluted and one has tochange oil more, etc. If things get REALLY hard, running vs. unable to get gas to even run will be an issue.

That may be hard for us to imagine now...but if one travels abroad, and sees how others live and get by and do "the survival things in life"...one has a viable option...

Just my personal opinion and circumstance and choice, based on what I've seeen around the world and see coming down the road.....

:shades:
  • I put my deposit of $250 on a Golf TDI 4dr. automatic on Dec. 23rd. In the sales agreement I stipulated that I could have my deposit back if they failed to deliver the car by March 31, 2010. They seemed confident that they could. I'm now nine weeks into my wait. And I am paying MSRP....$24,600 roughly.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,941
    bobny, just so ya know:
    If you decide for any reason not to take delivery, you will get your full deposit back.
    that fact is not up for 'negotiation' as far as I know!
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    edited March 2010
    Hi Tom, The Sportwagens' S trim 2.5L gasser has a timing chain, unlike the TDI's belt that will need replacement at around 100K Miles. Plus I think the TDI's particulate filter has to be checked at something like 120K Miles. If it needs replacement, it's $840 for the part alone.

I'm not opposed to the TDI, but you're smart to weigh the facts. We're running a similar analysis with Jetta Sportwagen TDI v. Subaru Forester -- both with a manual tranny. My wife loves rowing through the gears and wants a nice, durable interior. The TDI's upscale cabin wins hands down. I figure it'll take 7 years of her modest driving mileage before TDI breaks even, but we're still attracted to the TDI. Time for some test driving. :D
  • cody3764cody3764 Posts: 18
    I just purchased a 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition from Pete Moore Imports (Volkswagen Dealership) in Pensacola, Florida this past Saturday. To say I stole the car might be pretty much in line with what I paid. They blew the other 35 dealers on the east coast away that I was inquiring with on TDI's for the past month of research on them. I traveled 1,000 miles round trip to trade out my old car and pick up the new Jetta and I was smiling the whole time at the tremendous amount of money I was saving. :) I also see where folks here have been inquiring about the Jetta TDI Sportwagons and their availability. The new car manager at Pete Moore Imports told me they have 17 in the pipeline to be delivered to them. Pete Moore Imports is a volume dealer meaning yes they come off MSRP and more than they stated I could share here online. What they quoted me for my trade and what the ridiculous price was for their Jetta TDI Cup Edition is exactly what I was given for my trade and the cost of their TDI. No gimmicks when I arrived to do the paperwork and no they do not add crazy dealer fees etc to the sticker. :D Their dealer doc fee is $299 and Florida has a document stamp fee of around $120. My internet salesman Bruce told me that Mr. Moore pretty much owns his two dealerships outright and this is why they do not have a lot of overhead and they are able to deal more than most Volkswagen dealerships below MSRP and even on the popular TDI models. If TDI's are your passion, then definitely look them up and tell them you want a deal like Dan from South Carolina just received. ;) :) Happy TDI Trails.
  • oli1oli1 Posts: 33
    Thanks Cody, that was very helpful. I just sent off a email to them and will see what they come up with. I am in SoCal, so I will be curious what price they give me, considering the dealer here quoted me OTD $29K for a JTDI sportswagen.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Under invoice for TDI Cup Jetta is available at another dealer on the east coast. $100 doc fee, $15 for a "drive off registration" required by the state. No other fees.

You did not state price paid, so the deal you obtained may be great to you and not so great for others. Your happy with the price so enjoy the car!

What color and options did you obtain? Did you get the body kit?