Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,162
    I stopped into my VW dealer a couple days ago. I wanted to see the White gold metallic color. The sales person told me they are expecting the 2011 Tiguan to be offered with the 2.0L TDI. That will get my attention.

You are also right about comparing gas to diesel. It is a poor example as there is NO comparison to the driving. And you will get the extra back when you sell or if you keep it till it falls apart. The VW TDI is the only real winner in their fleet.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    If the'11 Tig comes with the 2.0 TDI, my wife will trade in her '08 Jetta.
  • jswtdifanjswtdifan Posts: 9
    Thanks - I forgot to mention depreciation. The diesel holds its value.
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    We were quite excited by the Tiguan, but we lost interest when we looked behind the rear seat -- there's only 23.8 CuFt. of space back there. Sportwagen by comparsion holds 32.8 CuFt. We bought the JSW TDI and have enjoyed it a great deal so far. It's our first VW and we hope all of the advanced engine technology in this car survives the years without fuss.
    The Sportswagen is much roomier than the Tiguan. I like the ground clearance. I live in the Peoples Republic of CA and the roads are 3rd World as we have blown our $billions in wasteful spending. We have potholes that will swallow a midsized sedan.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 855
    ....I'm 7.5 miles south of CA's capitol (the roads really arent that bad (IMHO).........

Yesterday I test drove a TDI JSW 6M w/no sunroof. Niello is getting MSRP. CarsDirect shows only the dealer purchase option for this model. Must be selling!!
    (I used CarD 5 years ago - only dealer involvement was delivery - and got a great price. The JSW TDI would be a good complement to my '82 Rabbit diesel pickup.

ez....
    edited May 2010
    My local Dealer too said that it was MSRP or nothing. They were nice about it, but it was clear that no price negotiation would take place. I visited VW's website, checked inventory on line at a great many regional Dealers and found several Dealers who were willing to take less than MSRP. With the $1,300 U.S. Federal tax credit getting halved after 06/30/10, perhaps remaining 2010's (if any) will be sold at favorable prices to make room for the 2011s. The Sportwagen TDIs don't remain long on Dealer lots however. The 2011 JSW TDI will not have any significant changes, except for two new colors I think -- a new blue and brown. Old blue will be dropped. Some stereo changes too.
    The current Sportswagen is the upgraded design. It is the same as the Golf Wagons sold in Europe. Not sure what the new Jetta sedan will be built off of. I like the front end on the 2010 Sportswagen much better than the older model. And they are a good seller for VW. My choice of what VW is currently offering.
    Yep, the new Jetta Sportwagen/Golf is lovely and of the perfect size. Without any explanation, on 05/28/10 VW announced that 2011 Jetta TDI production will be delayed until January 2011. I wonder what's going on? They said the same TDI engine will be carried over, so no major engine change is in the works. Speculation is that perhaps VW is addressing random (and VERY expensive) high pressure fuel pump failures in the 2.0L TDI, but nobody knows for sure.
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    "VW announced that 2011 Jetta TDI production will be delayed until January 2011"

That is bad news. I have been waiting to see the bigger Jetta 2011 style with the idea of trading off my 2006 TDI to get the extra room promised in the new model.

The trade off on our Jetta's large trunk is the cramped leg room in the back seat, no reason to keep the Jetta Toyota Corolla size with that much power and mpg's.

Common, VW, lets get building!
  • chrishhchrishh Posts: 15
    Does anyone know VWs loan rates on TDI Golfs?

They are at zero for non-TDI Golfs so I would hope they would have low rates for the TDI models, my CU is currently at 4.75
    I don't understand it all, but in 2011 the new Chattanooga, TN plant will start manufacturing a new midsize VW sedan to compete with Accord, Camry and Sonata. The base line model will be pretty inexpensive, which will put pricing pressure on the smaller size Jetta. It'll be interesting to see how VW balances this out.

The base Jetta sedan models will eventually have an inexpensive simple torsion-beam rear suspension to cheapen their cost, but upscale Jettas will retain the more expensive independent rear suspension they have today. I'm not sure when the Jetta changes will be made. I think Sportwagen will be immune from these changes for several years, as the current model is only two years old. We love the size of our '10 Sportwagen TDI.
  • conjettconjett Posts: 8
    edited June 2010
    Got an internet quote for $23,513 plus destination, tax, tags and processing fees which brought it to about 25,300. Trade in was 4500 for a 2005 Hyundai Tucson 4 cyl 2wd with about 50,400 (probably could have haggled a little better on that) and opted for 7 year extended warranty for 2000 just to be safe and got a 3.99 finance rate. The car only had 51 miles at the time of purchase (about 10 of those came from my test drive). And still have the 1300 alternative fuel tax credit. I think I got a good deal.
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Posts: 126
    New model looks nice though a bit on the conservative side.Official photos are out! On sale in october.
    I like the looks a lot more than the last generation.

edited June 2010
    Well there goes my reason for buying a new 2011 Jetta.

It was supposed to compete with the Camry but it's still 6" shorter!

According to the nearest guy with a tape masure, it is also 9" shorter than a Malibu!

Seems even with a brand new model and all the mid size sedans out there to measure for themselves, VW just can't get it right.

This 3.5" longer 2011 Jetta was touted to be the new Mid Size competitive Car.

The all-new 2011 Hyundai Sonata (35 mpg) is placed right into the middle of the hotly-contested family sedan segment, already occupied by such established players as the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, Ford Fusion and Chevrolet Malibu, to name just a few.

The new 2011 Jetta was supposed to be in there with that gang, not showing up with a little porked up 3200 lb. Toyota Corolla.

AAARRGH! :mad:
    The key is interior room and comfort. When does a mid size become a full size? I think the Accord is bigger than the Camry. The Sportwagen is roomier than the Camry or Accord. Not to mention nearly twice the mileage in reality. I think VW did a good job with the new Jetta look. Did they dumb down the suspension and handling to cut the price for the less discriminating US driver?
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,047
    The new 2011 Jetta was supposed to be in there with that gang

Where did this come from? I haven't read or seen anything that said the Jetta was supposed to move up and compete in the midsize class. Everything I've read is that the new midsize car that VW is going to produce in the US, I think Tennessee, is going to fill that role and take the place of the Passat eventually. It's getting confusing with the Jetta getting bigger, a new midsize car without a name, is the Passat going to continue to be sold in the US, the CC. :confuse:
    Adding 3.5" to the Jetta certainly didn't make it "mid-size" not even close. It's still a Compact sedan that's now a touch larger and heavier than the Versa, Corolla, Elantra etc.
    VW has said all along their one of goals was to make the Jetta quicker saying it takes way to long on the line to assemble.

Better they has said "we want to make the Jetta BETTER" but they didn't and probably regret they way those comments got quoted..

The Company is still on that course tho as this item came in this morning...

"Volkswagen reported a profit for the year and record sales, confirming numbers released early this month. But a closer look showed that its premium Audi unit accounted for almost all the operating profit of 1.9 billion euros, which was a 71 percent decline from 2008.

Audi last week reported an operating profit of 1.6 billion euros. That means Volkswagen's volume brands, barely broke even, according to Ferdinand Dudenhöffer, director of the Center for Automotive Research at the University of Duisburg-Essen in Germany.

''VW Group profit is based almost exclusively on the strength of Audi,'' Mr. Dudenhöffer wrote. ''VW Group's volume brands are headed for a new cost problem.''

I think VW has a huge product problem right now, they promoted a new model Jetta that would compete with the 'mid-size' vehicles but this new Jetta falls far short of that. They have the Passat, still not 'Accord size' and the expensive, CC.. that actually is a "Mid-Size"

So by adding a puny 3.5 " to the old Jetta, dropping a dumpster full of suspension parts and who know what else to cut corners, is this going to push their world sales through the roof....

I think their new company focus is now on getting into the electric/hybrid market and the TDI's are now stalled in place on the drawing board, while the designers all go marching off in another direction. Even their new elect/hybrid design uses a gas engine....

All I'm saying is..no new VW for me. :sick:
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    It was supposed to compete with the Camry but it's still 6" shorter!

Jetta is a compact.
    VW called the 2011 the NCS or New Compact Sedan prior to it's press conference to introduce the Jetta on the 15th.

NMS or New Midsize Sedan is the competitor to Malibu, Fusion, Camry, Accord, Sonata.

NMS will be built in Chattanooga, TN beginning in 2011. It will likely have Passat nameplate in North America.

No need to be mad longo2.

VW just can't get it right.

Well, VW could not be more clear, NCS = Compact, NMS = Midsize
  • colin_lcolin_l Posts: 591
    edited June 2010
    They clobbered you a bit on the trade-in and warranty, honestly. You could have gotten at least 6k for the trade, maybe as much as 7k, and your goal on the warranty should be 50% of their asking price.

But $23,513 for a TDI Sportswagen with DSG would be pretty good. With 6spd MT it's fair.

At any rate... congrats!
    I'm ok with the looks and like the idea of a price drop... but we'll see if the TDI actually gets cheaper or not. A cheap 2.0 non-turbo base model is useless to me.

If 2011 brings a diesel CC, I would be interested in that as well. I'd like the extra space and better looks (assuming no changes there) over the 2011 Jetta.
  • Bought my '10 JSW for 200 over invoice, plus destination, TTL, and some weird fuel and interest fee. OTD 28.5 for a 6M with pano roof.

They offered 3500 for my trade-in, but I sold it for twice that privately.

That, plus the 1300 tax credit, makes it all a bit better affordable. Car is nice so far, hoping for a long lasting HPFP. ;)
  • jocollijocolli Posts: 8
    Local dealer in West St. Louis County is running an add that all VWs are 1% below dealer cost during the month of June. How does this compare? I am in the market and willing to travel for a great deal. No trade in. Just want the best out the door price. Thanks.
  • bigdog20bigdog20 Posts: 3
    Charlie Gilbert in Saint Louis can do better because the dealer determines how "dealer cost" is determined. Email him at cgilbert@bommarito.net to get a very good price...let him know Bryan Goetz referred you. I just bought a Jetta TDI from him. Let me know how it goes.
    There's some orange text when you post advising not to post names of salespeople, email addresses or other contact information. This is not a referral service, it's a shopping / pricing guide.

Anyway -- what did you pay?

I'm about 6 hours from StL and I'm not overly impressed with my local dealer --singular, there's only one in Wichita. It might be worth flying out and driving back.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,941
    IMHO, no dealership with any business-sense is going to tell you what their actual cost is for any new vehicle! It's private contractual information, and I bet the manufacturers prohibit the dealerships from revealing it.
  • vigorlovervigorlover Posts: 40
    My girlfriend is in the market for a Jetta TDI sportwagon (I converted her interest away from Prius!). We have gotten a couple of quotes from nearby dealers:

Platinum Grey w/Titan Black
    Automatic
    Panoramic Sunroof
    Ipod interface
    floormats
    17" Porto Wheels
    MSRP $28,639
    Offered price $27,083 (including $750 destination)

Blue Graphite /Titan Black
    Automatic
    Panoramic Sunroof
    Ipod interface
    Rear seat airbags
    MSRP $28,314
    Offered Price $27,064 (including destination)

What is your feeling, does this seem to be a reasonable price? We have not yet tried any severe negotiating.

Thanks!
    They are very similar and I believe the 17" wheels are more expensive than the rear airbags. So the first one is a slightly better deal. Does she like the wheels?

The prices are similar to what I've seen. The JSW doesn't seem to be as popular as the Jetta sedan or 4 door Golf. Its the least popular TDI, but the TDIs are definitely selling well nationwide.
  • udaygudayg Posts: 4
    One dealer is offering 2010 Jetta TDI with Automatic transmission and
    PKG UF8 MEDIA DEVICE INTERFACE W/ IPOD (R) CABLE
    PKG JMK JETTA MAT KIT

For $23,265.00 (including destination)
    MSRP : $25,104.00

To me it looks like an excellent price. What do you guys think??

Thanks