Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• so new to leasing.. own our other car now after 5 years.. o % financing..
    considering leasing, but not sure how you negotiate that ...
    did you say your price? come up with the residual? etc..
    would love some advise!!
  • The main problem is getting Golf TDI's with DSG, we just cannot get any.
    We do have a few manuals, and we don't mark up cars.

Mico
  • pmaupmau Posts: 8
    Since you custom ordered. Were you able to negotiate the price? Is it true that if you custom order, you have to pay the msrp and you do not have flexibility to bargain? Let me know your experience.
  • [quote] we are looking at the sportwagen tdi also... just keep getting mixed messages about how about getting the exact car we want and what really to pay for it... seems like there are a lot around, most have a little bit of the extras ( ie.. navigation ... wheels ) that we don't want to pay for... just want auto and moonroof.. any advise.. we are in the midwest.. not west coast..[/quote]

Seems to vary a bit from region to region and depending on dealer etc. You should always try to negotiate off the invoice price (dealer makes money on other things too). Email different dealerships to get an idea of possible prices for the vehicle with the options you want. Ask them for OTD pricing incl TTL to make comparisons easier for you. Once there is agreement visit the dealer and do some test driving and such. If you have a car you want to sell do that privately rather than with the dealer, you'll get most likely more money for it.

It's true that there are packages... You can't always pick and choose exactly the options you want. If you want one thing you might have to get a couple of others that are part of the package. For example, the stoopid IPod interface is bundled with most options.

In the end, the JSW TDI is extremely well built and a fun car to drive. Some have had bad luck with disintegrating HPFP and some sensor failures, but that seems to be affecting only a small percentage of unlucky '10 owners so far.

Hope that helps somewhat.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    A reporter wants to interview people who are focused on achieving 30mpg or better in their next car puchase. Please reply to pr@edmunds.com by Fri, Oct 15, 2010 with your daytime contact info and a few thoughts on the subject.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    My next new car purchase will have to do much better than 30 mpg highway and not be a Hybrid.

From my experience with VW jetta TDI's so far, it won't be one of them either.

So then, a 'full size' 30 + mpg sedan that isn't a hybrid or a diesel leaves little to choose from, but from what I see out there right now, there are 2 or 3 that come close to the mark.

I do a lot of highway driving and am not so concerned about Urban mpg's, they suck no matter what.
    I think Electric will be years away, or never, from making sense for my highway driving needs.
  • Getting between 45 and 50 mpg with my Jetta SW TDI. It's no battery powered golf cart either. My thoughts on the subject? Gas prices need to go up again before folks think about fuel efficient cars.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 855
    ..............yes, diesels are certainly fuel efficient. A 25-year affair with my '82 Rabbit diesel pickup has certainly left its' mark..............

It's the price of a new TDI that amazes me.

best, ez..............
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of the VW Golf TDI who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, November 20, 2010 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jjm51jjm51 Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    looking to lease a 2011 golf tdi 4 door/manual transmission. msrp is 24,700.

if possible, can someone share what kind of lease deals you got on a 2010 or 2011 golf tdi lease in the last month or two; how much down, monthly payment, length of lease, miles allowed.

thanks!

john
  • al63017al63017 Posts: 149
    24150.00 paid sticker was 25514.00.

Drove Hondas for years traded 08 Accord this car is much quieter, just a tight and good of fit and finish. Getting over 40 mpg on highway was 44 last trip. Upper 30;s combined city/highway. Did tons of research before buying and drove 4 other cars and had no history with prior Jetta so not hating the new body style and TDI is loaded so happy with what I have and see of the inside and outside. Drove in slippery snowy conditions this morning and it was GREAT. See my post in 2011 Jetta about driving in snow.
  • I was quoted the following for a TDI 2 door golf and GTI lease in NY

TDI Golf 2 door: The money factor 0.00179 and residual for 36 months 15k is 0.50

GTI 2 door: The money factor for the GTI is 0.00081 and the residual for 15k is 0.53 for 36 months
  • maigremaigre Posts: 16
    edited January 2011
    There's a loaner 2011 JSW TDI on a nearby VW lot that has about 7500 miles on it. It's being sold as new. Seems to me that since new ones can be gotten for < MSRP, that this should go for at least 2K less. Maybe more. But I don't really know.

Any ideas on that or on buying a loaner in general?

Thanks.
    I wrote above that "new ones can be gotten for invoice. And the further discount should be below that. So if this car truly new costs @ $27000, then would a reasonable price be around $23K? Or somewhere else?
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,176
    It is hard for me to imagine a dealer using a TDI Sportswagen as a loaner. It could be one someone had lots of trouble with and they bought it back. I would have to get a heck of a deal like you mentioned under $23k to be tempted. Plus I would get the 7 year extended Bumper to Bumper warranty as well.
    Good points. Thanks.

I may have been wrong about it being a loaner. I asked further and the claim was that the car was driven for all those miles by the dealer owner or someone high on the totem pole. Whether that's true or not and how that person treated the car, I have no idea.

I think I'll stay away.
    Finding VW TDIs in CA with 7501 miles was common before the new generation. You could legally buy a VW TDI that was used from about 2003-2009. The only rule was the vehicle had to have at least 7500 miles. Many dealers were buying low mile TDIs and bringing them to California and selling them for more than they sold for new in some other state.
  • My family is considering leasing two TDI vehicles. We're looking at a 2011 Sportwagen TDI and a 2011 Golf TDI. What are the money factors on the Golf TDI and the Sportwagen TDI? What are the residuals for the Sportwagen TDI on a 36 month lease at 12K miles a year, and the Gold TDI on a 36 month lease with 15K miles a year? Thanks in advance.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,248
    Hi mike...

I saw you found the Golf Lease Questions discussion. There is a another one for the Jetta. If you post your question there, Car_Man will see it, and post an answer for you.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host - Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Hi Mike,
    Same experience here except more extreme. We were baited in with a low price quote through Edmonds.
    On ours, Suntrup started out 6,000.00 over what they had quoted and 3,000.00 over msrp.
    They sent us an e-mail stating they had 6 base TDI Sportwagens on their lot starting at $23,332.00. My wife and I drove to St .Louis that morning and were shown the two least expensive ones they had at $29,xxx.00 and $28,xxx.00 plus we were given the added benefit of being treated like we were stupid.
    Missouri Better Business Bureau rates Suntrup VW at solid F.
    I wish I had know this before we wasted our time.
    Hopefully your bad experience will alert others to avoid said dealership. I have bought several vehicles at varying distances from home. I find forcing them to give you a cash out the door price in an email is the best way to avoid the hassles. If they refuse tell them you have 47 other states and 1000s of dealers to choose from. On hard to find vehicles it is best to have a copy of the window sticker with VIN so they don't pull a fast one. My experiences have been positive. I don't do well waiting for some low level salesman to jack me around with the manager in another room. I say bring him in and lets get this done or I am out of here. NEVER let them know you love the car.
  • mnr49mnr49 Posts: 7
    Just closed a deal for a 2011 Jetta TDI DSG for 22646 and they threw in the rubber mat kit which invoices at 187. Black on black. Dealer is in NJ.
  • mnr49
    manual of automatic?
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 15,167
    edited February 2011
    DSG is the "automatic" , aka direct shift gearbox, aka dual clutch pack sequential gear shift by computer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox
    It is an automatic
  • cantare226cantare226 Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    MNR49 - What options did you get?

I just went into a Northern NJ VW dealer (bergen county) and they quoted me $27,685 for a TDI DSG with sunroof and tire package.
    Not sure what you mean by the tire package. It has the sunroof and satellite radio. Does not have navigation. That sounds like a high price. I bought mine at Hamilton VW in Hamilton NJ. Very easy to deal with.
  • chidrivechidrive Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a VW Golf TDI, enjoyed the ride and I'm swayed by enviro. concerns. However, the higher price for diesel engines at purchase and the pump price (diesel is about $4/gal in Chicago) makes me want to back away. I keep my cars 8+ years and diesel seems like the best choice for the long run. I average 12,000 city miles/year.

I didn't see the Golf TDI on edmunds "best payback for hybrid/diesel" list and I am concerned.

Thoughts?
    chidrive
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 15,167
    edited March 2011
    What top 5 are you comparing? What did you have before? I just did a comparison between a 04 Civic and 03 Jetta TDI. Even as that is an apples to oranges comparison, @ like miles (120,000 miles) the Jetta TDI was app $4500 cheaper to run. Even as the Honda's (04 Civic's) reputation is absolutely sterling. I am absolutely satisfied with the Civic's numbers and performance for what I bought it for, commuting.

What Would It Take For YOU To Get a Diesel Car?
  • stackabonesstackabones Posts: 7
    edited March 2011
    I purchased a 2010 4dr manual Golf TDI last April. You need to consider this:

The extra price for the TDI is NOT simply for the TDI engine. The TDI has much nicer appointments (alloy wheels, larger tires, sporty suspension, better seats, etc.) as well. And when you consider the price of fuel, also realize that the price has been going up for both gas and diesel. My girlfriend has a 2009 gas Jetta Sportwagen. And while I pay more at the pump, she has to fill up more often than I do.

I love my TDI. It's fun, comfortable, and fuel efficient. I average 41 MPG on my trip to work and back each day. It's a combination of city and highway driving. On road trips, with air conditioning on, I've averaged 52 MPG. I've only averaged 9,000 miles this year.

"Study shows diesel engines recuperate extra cost quickly"
    link title

The only thing that you need to consider is the problem with the High Pressure Fuel Filter. See here for information:

"NHTSA is estimating that 0.53% of 2009 models (1 in 200) and 0.11% of 2010 models (1 in 1,000) have experienced these failures."
    link title

"This is the official thread for discussion of the fuel pump failure issue that is affecting a small number of 2009 and 2010 4 cylinder VW TDI engines."
    link title