Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I purchased my Jetta TDI 9/29/09 from the dealer in Huntsville, AL. To get your best deal, run the Edmunds True Market Value price report to see what others are paying in your area. I found this tool to be really helpful, thank you Edmunds! I initially had to order the car and made the dealer an offer of approx $600 over Edmunds dealer invoice with a 3-month delivery time. We made a deal at $500 under MSRP. In the mean time a TDI arrived at the dealer that was close to the one I ordered. We re-negotiated and I bought it. The MSRP is $28,135 for 2010 Jetta TDI automatic, blue graphite metallic, beige v-tex interior, options are 3FE power sunroof, JTI Southern Kit, PJI 17" avignon alloy wheels, PNI Navigation System + MDI. I paid $27,435, which is $700 under MSRP (or $1,069 above Edmunds dealer invoice). $30,511 out the door including tax, title, doc fee and extended warranty. I am happy with my deal and love the car, which I intend to run until it turns to dust. My only complaint is that the Nav unit CD to load the maps has not yet arrived, but it is "in the mail." :)
  • udaygudayg Posts: 4
    Hey maigre
    This was for a Sedan and at Capitol VW at San Jose. Infact the steven's creek dealer is offering at 200$ over invoice ( he is pricing it for Costco members even though Costco does not have a a deal for TDI). I am a little skeptical of the Stevens Creek dealer as I have read not so good reviews about them.

Also I have a Trade in for 2001 Jetta GLS about which Stevens Creek guy does not know about but Capitol guy knows and is ready to offer $5000 for it even though the car is giving a bit of problem recently.

Know any good VW independent mechanics/repair shops in San Jose area
  • maigremaigre Posts: 16
    udayg, $200 over invoice sounds great. I'm hoping to get my sedan somewhere in that range.

Stevens Creek seems like the typical car dealer. I'm kind of avoiding them. I haven't been to Capitol yet, but I didn't like what I heard over the phone when I called there. Good VW dealers in the bay area aren't easy to find.

DynoSpotRacing is a terrific shop, very able and honest. They're near Almaden and Alma. Though they specialize in mods and racing things, they do great work on regular cars, too. My Passat is one of the latter and they've solved nagging issues nobody else had a clue about. It goes through too much oil, but otherwise runs great at 181,000 miles. There's no way on earth I'd still have the car without them.
  • anowlananowlan Posts: 48
    I've dealt with Jim Ellis for years now. Here's what they just sent me today on the 2010 Golf 2Dr 6Man I ordered. "Just a quick update. VW has reviewed and accepted our Sold Order Build, they should start production on your Golf in the next 7 - 14 days. :)"
    I have a feeling dealers that say you can't place an order and that low numbers are coming are trying to make a quick sale. I'll keep the forum updated when the car arrives.
  • chrishhchrishh Posts: 15
    which Ellis are you dealing with, Atlanta or Marietta?
  • anowlananowlan Posts: 48
    Atlanta, but Marietta actually offered another $150 off whatever my best deal was. For me, the drive wasn't worth it.
  • I am about to give up.

This is the car I want but I refuse to pay over MSRP. And now with so few available it's even harder. The VW dealers are the WORST.

Does anyone know if VW is planning to ship more of these at anytime soon?

Otherwise I'll pocket $7,000 and get a Hyudai Elantra Touring.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,837
    bingo, you might try working with a dealer anywhere else in USA. many might be willing to do a "courtesy delivery" to your local dealer. At MSRP.
  • usma78usma78 Posts: 4
    Steve White Audi and VW.
  • Call Bridget at VW in Santa Monica for a fair deal. Expect MSRP.
  • oli1oli1 Posts: 33
    Does this mean that if you do a "courtesy delivery" and you live in another state, you wouldn't have to pay shipping costs?
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    "Otherwise I'll pocket $7,000 and get a Hyundai Elantra Touring"

With that extra $7,000 you will also get a better warranty, a vehicle with a terrific reliability reputation, and no need to scrounge for service stations with ULSD diesel pumps.

There are some trade offs of course and I'm sure VW fanboys will be glad to point them out.

In our area a JettaTDI wagon is over $33.000 before taxes. A loaded Elantra Touring is $10,000 less.

Personally I think they are all too much money, as the last round of car company discounts seems to show that dealer "invoice" is a joke and more like what MSRP should be, for starters.

Don't get me started on the Stealerships that are tacking on another $2,000 over MSRP just because they can...see the extra "$2,000 side stickers" at the Great Falls Montana VW dealer.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,837
    oli1, i do not recall any additional charge but it was long ago...
    things may have changed and my knowledge about courtesy-deliveries is probably old/stale - maybe they are not done nowadays. salesfolks at the dealerships should be able to tell you the current info.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    quote longo2-
    There are some trade offs of course and I'm sure VW fanboys will be glad to point them out.-end

VW haters are mired in the past. VW improved it's reliability.
    Recommending Hyundai for it's quality over VW is so ironic in the overall context it is almost beyond funny to absurd.

The below commentary from Warren Brown column is relevant.

-from Warren Brown column-
    Baltimore, Md.: I've seen you recommending the VW Jetta TDI for the past several weeks now, and after taking one on a test drive, I'm now really interested in buying one. However, many people have emphatically told me to steer clear of VWs, citing numerous reliability and maintenance problems they've had over the years. Has VW taken any steps to address these problems for the '09/'10 models?

Warren Brown: Reputations. Good ones are easily lost. Bad ones tend to hang around long after things have changed. At VW, particularly in the mid-Atlantic region in the matter of maintenance and repairs, things have changed for the better. The Jetta TDI is a darned good car now backed by a company that acts on the notion that "total quality" includes repair service.
    -end
    "Recommending Hyundai for it's quality over VW is so ironic in the overall context it is almost beyond funny to absurd."

Well mopar, sorry to say it's neither ironic, funny, or absurd, check the latest JD Power reliablity reports and see who got the better scores.

Just to save you some time, its Hyundai 13 out of possible 20

VW 8 out of possible 20

I wish it were the other way around, I have a Jetta TDI sitting in the garage, if you really wanted the most reliable car out there today, the reports says...Buy a Buick.
  • maigremaigre Posts: 16
    I've had mostly good luck with my '99 Passat. It's still running pretty well, even if it goes through too much oil. But there's no getting away from the harsh realities that so many people have had to deal with in recent years. The JD Power survey numbers aren't lying. And then, there are those VW dealers...

I'm shopping for a new one now and am not exactly impressed with the scene at the dealers I've visited. VW's always talking about being dedicated to improving quality control, but until it's been proven over a period of at least a few years, it's all talk. And why they continue to allow their dealers to behave the way they do is beyond me. Makes it even harder to take the pronouncements about their determination to make things better seriously.

That said, I'm getting a Jetta TDI anyway. Originally, I wasn't going to get another VW because of all the quality and service issues. But I ended up deciding I wanted the TDI. Even though I've had a good experience (I don't take it to the dealer for service, of course), I have eyes and ears and literally nobody else I know who has had one in the years since I got mine is happy enough to stick with VW.
    "VW's always talking about being dedicated to improving quality control"

Actually what they've been talking about lately is cutting build time, content and their costs. They complain that it takes way too much time on the production line to build a Jetta.

So, look at what they've taken from the Jetta TDI from the past 2006 model year, no more real leather, no dual control climate package, no more power memory seats, now only grey and black interiors etc etc...the next VW move to cut costs and put them together them faster is a new factory in Tennessee to build a 2011 "American Model"..any VW buyers out there want their new Jetta to be built..faster?
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Just to save you some time, its Hyundai 13 out of possible 20

VW 8 out of possible 20

8 and 13 out of a possible 20 what?

Colored in circles?

2.6 problems per vehicle for VW

1.5 problems per vehicle for Hyundai
    20 being the best, or, no reported problems, perfect score

0 score being a vehicle that's just been crushed?
  • I'm also very interested in the Jetta TDI, but drive about a 1000 per wk alot of
    it in traffic. Have an 07 Accord with 150k that has been absolutely bulletproof, but
    love the way the TDI drives and the mileage. Really need and automatic but the
    reliability of the DSG makes me nervous. What are peoples thoughts? Get the
    TDI with 6spd, try the DSG, or stay with another Accord?