Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,962
    That sounds like a good deal to me. Keep us posted on your mileage and how well you like your new car. And welcome to the forum.
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,630
    I feel it's an OK deal, not amazing, but OK.

Really, you got 4K off on a car that the dealer can't keep on the lots and you think it is a OK deal...
  • maringamaringa Posts: 36
    That appears to be a very good deal! I am hoping to buy one, but with the Nav option next month. My target is around $27,000+ so your deal appears very promising. The 2014 order sheets are supposedly out, but there is no information as to the changes...Unless there is a significant difference in the TDI engine (large horsepower increase), I will probably get the '13 model.

Rumors have been that the horsepower increase is only 10 hp, with no changes in torque. On the flip side, the European version is going b-turbo for 200 hp....Don't think we'll see that....
  • I just order a new 2013 VW Passat TDI SE 6 Speed Manual, black on black. After negotiating by exchanging email with 11 VW dealers in Atlanta, GA area, I got a good deal on it. The MSRP on VW website is 26,225, I was able to get it for 23380$ + Total 789$ dealer fees + 6.5% sales tax = Total price of 25734$ This price also includes carpeted floor mats, free lifetime oil and filter change, lifetime power-train warranty. Other dealers quote me between 23480$-25880$ plus tax.
    In addition to the total price of 25734$, VW have a special offer for April to pay 500$ of your 1st payment, and 36 months 0% Apr. Final price is 25,234$.
    The dealer name is Heritage VW in Union city, close the Atlanta airport.
    Cheers!
  • thundercrackerthundercracker Posts: 14
    edited May 2013
    hi,
    Quirk VW in Quincy, ma, has a tdi passat se, automatic, grey with blk interior (leatherette) for $24,500 before taxes and fees. this was as of saturday 5/25. i like the car, but wasn't ready to purchase.
  • ohioscottohioscott Posts: 1
    Final out the door price was $25K including a $100K 7 year warranty. I have never bought a warranty before and generally think they are a complete waste of money but this is my first diesel so I didn't mind this time. Plus the price and features were right and there weren't any gotchas. Pro-rated, fully-transferrable, good at any VW dealer.

I'm a very experienced car buyer and the sales experience at Hatfield Volkswagen in Columbus, Ohio, was as good as it gets. No games, no drama, no lowball on the trade-in, helpful but not pushy. The dealer didn't have the exact color/model I wanted but had it ready for pickup within 24 hours, on a Saturday no less.

The car itself is awesome. Insane amount of headroom even with the sunroof, a blast to drive, much better than expected mpg, averaging 37-38 which is nearly all city driving. Cargo capacity is insane, can't imagine ever not having a hatch again. Best designed sunroof I've ever had in a car. The navigation system and Bluetooth hands-free phone connection have far less gizmos than Ford's but works 100% better.

There is an all-new Golf coming soon but I wanted one made in Wolfsburg and if that matters to you the current model is one to get.
    That sounds like a very good deal. I like the looks of the current Golf. Hope they don't screw them up. VW seems to be designed for taller drivers. I don't like a lot of the Japanese cars that have no headroom. Especially when they add a sunroof. Good luck with your new ride and keep us posted on how you like it.
  • hercules00hercules00 Posts: 116
    Looking at the Passat and am trying to get a sense of whether the TDI SE makes sense. It comes at a premium of about 2k over the SE.

I am assuming that the TDI gets about 10mpg over the gas model in mixed driving.

Where I live, diesel is about 50c more expensive that gas on average.

Assuming gas at about $4, I would have to drive for about 80k miles to breakeven on the additional upfront cost for the TDI.

Am I missing anything? Are people doing the same math?

Thanks.
  • cristianbncristianbn Posts: 9
    Well, there are more benefits of driving a diesel than the gas mileage. Myself I own the Passat TDI SE with 6 speed manual and my MPG got as high as 51.1 on the highway. I'm very happy with it. But to mention the other benefits of diesel:

Have a longer life span and less wear as they run at lower temperatures and lower RPMs

Have greater torque

Have better value retention

Have lower emissions

Have lower fire hazard

Have greater MPGs about 30% better than gas engines

It is true is more expensive but if you're going to keep the car for a longer time, it is well worth it. If you never drove a diesel before, I recommend you rent one and see if you like it. Seems like the diesel engines are finally becoming popular here in the US, as more automakers are bringing more diesel engines soon, like BMW 3, 5, series, Audi A6,A8, Mazda 6, Chevrolet Cruze, Mercedes E class, etc. In Europe about 65% of the cars are diesel mainly because of the better gas mileage.
  • hercules00hercules00 Posts: 116
    The only reason diesels are becoming more popular - and I am considering one - is due to gas prices.

That is pure economics. The rest of the reasons - less wear and tear, fire risk (!) are marginal at best. No one worries about their modern gas powered cars burning up or wearing out. Also, torque in most cases is adequate for daily driving.

So it is an economic rationale then there should be some justification. Getting 40mpg means nothing if you paid up for that (the math is similar for hybrids).

I have rented diesel cars in europe many times and am well aware of how they drive. So that is not an unknown.

Just trying to get a sense of the economics and if there is any different math people are coming up with. I drive a G37 to work and the 18mpg is getting a bit expensive.

I am trying to get a sense of whether I should just move to a more efficient gas car or if diesel makes any sense at all.

At 80k breakeven (about 6 years for me) that does not seem to make much sense.
    I am trying to get a sense of whether I should just move to a more efficient gas car or if diesel makes any sense at all.

The GLK250 Bluetec is less expensive than the GLK350 gas. No breakeven to worry about there. Fun to drive and rated 38 MPG combined in the EU.
  • justoutjustout Posts: 1
    looks like a great deal - also, an inordinately helpful post given that, within the next 60 days, I'll be buying a Passat SE (manual) in Atlanta area. Therefore,three questions:
    1. did Heritage already have the car you wanted on their lot or did they get it for you?
    2. the runner-up to Heritage? - who would you have purchased from if not Heritage?
    3. name of salesman at Heritage?
  • Hi,

Heritage didn't have the Black on Black TDI manual so I had to place a order. Order was placed on April 8th '13, they announced me that the car will be a 2014 model rather than 2013 but the production of 2014 doesn't start till July '13 so I'm still waiting for my car.
    After I've exchanged emails with about 10 dealership around the Atlanta area, I've started to get lower price offers. The Heritage gave me the best price but you need to negotiate. The next dealer option was Nalley VW
    The salesperson was a wonderful lady named Silvija A. who is very professional and pleasant to deal with.
    Just as a note, I wasn't too impressed with Jim Ellis dealers. When I was asking them for a good price, they would sent me the MSRP price. The failure to offer me a good deal, make them loose my business.
    Good Luck!
  • I've started to shop around a bit for a car. Sort of torn, between the new Accord and the Passat. A friend of mine recently bought the SE w/o sunroof and likes the car a lot (after about 3500 miles). He's let me drive it several times and I like the feel and find it a comfortable car.

In any case, I think if I do the Passat, I'd like to do the TDI. I have received an offer as follows:

Sticker: 28545
    Offer Price: 24987
    State Registration: 38
    Title Processing: 2
    Title Fee: 8
    1 Yr Registration Processing: 3
    Registration Fee: 21
    Lien Fee: 2
    Sales Tex (est): 1861.53
    OTD: 26886

Any thoughts on the overall deal?

Also, I noted that the TDI has electric power steering. Anyone have a comment on the different 'feel' of steering between the TDI and non-TDI (with hydraulic steering)?

Thanks.
  • I think you're doing the right thing choosing the Passat TDI over the Honda Accord.
    Myself I'm a fan of German cars and to mention that my last 3 cars were BMWs and now decided to give a try to VW Passat TDI. My fiancee have a Honda Accord but I would choose the Passat at any time.
    I also believe that the quote you got for the SE Sunroof TDI is fair but you can also bargain for floor mats or something else on that price.
  • I have also been shopping for a 2013 Passat TDI SE w/ sunroof. I have an offer of $24,500 + TTL. This is from a dealership in the Houston area. Planning on buying on at this price over the next one week.
  • marvelmmarvelm Posts: 28
    Carman,

Can you please tell me the MFs and Residuals for the 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI for 39/12 and 36/12 lease?

Thank you!
  • toad37toad37 Posts: 2
    @ hercules00,

Great topic. From what I have read resale value is much better on the TDI's so you can figure that in as well.

You have me thinking. Hope some others can chime in.

:D
  • Received a quote from a dealer on 2013 Volkswagen Passat 4dr Sdn 2.0L DSG TDI SEL Premium.
    MRSP = 34270
    INV = 32294
    incentive = 2000
    cost to me = 30294
    Out the door with tax, title and license 31693

also, is the premium really worth the extra dollars? new to this forum, but not to the site.
  • To be honest I believe that you should be able to get a lower price maybe 500-1000$ off. If I was you I would keep looking negotiate via email with all the dealers around you. That worked very well for me.
    If it is worth it or not to get the SEL it comes to personal preference. Myself I've ordered the TDI 6 speed manual SE because is simple (less things to go bad) and the lower price that offer a good bang for the buck. The few things I would miss from the SEL is the Wood trim, Fender sounds system and the garage opener which does not justify the extra 5-6k$ price.
  • ariknycariknyc Posts: 12
    I'm finishing my lease on VW minivan. I'm sick of leasing. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2013 Passat TDI SE with Sunroof. Cuz you can't skip the sunroof unless you buy a manual trans. So if there is anyone in the NYC metro, Northern NJ even Central Jersey area looking to buy a new Passat TDI model and want to put together a group buy to get the price really low, please respond. Group buy means we talk to the dealer, tell them we want a great price, negotiate the price and then each one handles the financing, payment, delivery on their own. Nothing else. I won't buy the car and then ship it to you if you send a check, money order or any other nonsense like that. I don't care if you're the son of a Nigerian prince who has $200 million dollars stuck in a safe on cargo ship that is supposed to arrive any day now. If you're looking for a 2013 Passat , send me an email with the subject "2013 Passat TDI Group Buy" arikinthecity at gmail
  • Excellent Feedback. I will keep poking around with a few other dealers in Northern Virginia. Totally agree with the $5k more for those options. The inventory at the dealership was very limited and of course they show you the top end model to get you interested.
  • ariknycariknyc Posts: 12
    Just my 2 cents, I don't understand how leasing a TDI makes any financial sense. The car is designed for long term use like 10+ years and high millage driving. Do the math and compare 3 years and millage with lease vs buy or do a TCO for 10 years when you compare a Passat TDI vs 3 separate leases including all costs. You will see that the Passat saves you thousands of dollars even before you factor in the gas savings.

On a short term lease with very limited miles even 15K/ year it just doesn't add up. I wish you luck either way and hope you get a great deal and a wonderfull car.
  • togrovetogrove Posts: 24
    Hello,

I test drove a Passat SE and a TDI SE. Is it just my impression that the TDI feel a bit more powerful than the SE? I am new to diesel fueled cars. What are the main reasons to buy a diesel car vs a gasoline-fueled car? Diesel price is about the same as regular gasoline where I live. If fuel economy is the main reason, I would need to take a closer look at the math. I drive no more than 10k miles a year. Does that make the SE a better choice?

Thanks.
    Let me give you my example. I owned a 2005 Passat Wagon TDI. I sold it a year after I bought it for $3000 more than I paid for it. Probably never happen again. Fast forward with that same Passat TDI.

If I had kept it clean and put 50k miles on it the trade-in value according to Edmunds would be $7572. When I bought mine in 2005 the 1.8T gasser model was actually selling for $200 less than the TDI. The trade-in on the gasser today is $5844. You can expect a diesel to return the difference when you sell it. So the pleasure of driving a diesel vs gas and the far better mileage are likely to pay off even more when you trade in on a new diesel. If you are buying a VW the TDI is the only thing that makes any sense.
  • I just wanted to post my deal for others. I think I did very well, and was able to take advantage of the fact that one dealer has two locations nearby -- but they don't cooperate, separate businesses entirely.

MSRP: 29340
    Sale Price: 25623
    Trade in: 11500

Sale Price
    Trade Difference: 14123
    Dealer Charges: 199 ( I know,I know, but I talked them up $1000 on the trade-in)

Final Price: 14322
    Sales Tax: 852
    Window
    Tinting: 199

I had applied and was approved for 1.74% at PenFed, but gave the dealer a chance to meet or beat. I ended up with 1.44% for 60 months through VW.

I think I got good deal. I was able to get the high end for my trade-in and a nice starting discount.
  • rrocksrrocks Posts: 13
    Looks like a good deal. Congrats and enjoy!! TDI is the way to go.
  • danbeaudanbeau Posts: 11
    MSRP 27,120

Selling price $23,082
    Trade In $ 6,500
    6% Tax $ 995
    Tag Fees $ 182

OTD $17,759

They have to locate Night Blue over Black for me, but should be there Monday!
  • kitarkuskitarkus Posts: 1
    This will be my 2nd VW.....last one purchased was 26 years ago!

I dealt with 4 local dealers to purchase a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen. I purchased a silver, DSG auto, panoramic sunroof, came with monster matts and carpet matts, this is a non navigation model (they call this a "Premium Sunroof". List was $29,760.

I was told REPEATEDLY by other dealers that they COULD NOT make the deal that I desired. I was informed REPEATEDLY that they would be losing money. I finally got the deal done.

Mind you...a trade was involved....but I paid $23,801. I traded a 2001 loaded Acura TL with 167,500 miles. Here is the rub....other dealers offered me between $1500-$2500 for my trade (which sounds about right). I finally got the deal that I wanted when a dealer gave me $4K for my trade. With Trade and dealer fees my total was $23,801.34...I opted to pay the taxes myself outside of the loan. Given the real world trade value of my Acura....I feel like I really bought the Jetta for approx. $26,300 given that my trade was (at most) $2500 max at other dealers. I also took the 0% for 60 months with this deal.

I post this information here as I really appreciate others who have posted their experiences...it was very helpful to me. It took 4 dealers to get it done...but it is done. FYI...all other dealers were within hundreds of one another...it would have taken approximately $27,600 for the Jetta and they would have given me between $1500-$2500 for my trade.

After driving my TL for SOOOO many years...this car is quite a different experiment for me. I hope that I like it. Good luck all!
  • hkk1hkk1 Posts: 3
    Hi guys,
    Narrowed down my list to Passat TDI Manual. Emailed about 15 dealers in DFW, OKC, Houston & Austin. Only a few replies with actual quotes. Here's the best I have
    --------------------------------------------
    MSRP: $ 27,390.00
    Your Price: $ 23,235.00 plus TTL (6.25% Tax in Texas)
    -------------------------------------------
    OTD probably around $25.7. No 0% APR.
    From other posts, it seems people are able to get this for about $25k OTD. Considering, there are only 3 or 4 vehicles in Texas (most not my color choice), what price I can realistically target?

Also, one of the dealers tells me I can get either 0% or dealer cashback. Is that true? Can I not get both?

Thanks.