Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• eliaselias Posts: 1,837
    hello oli. i doubt the wagon is any more or less comfy on a long trip than a sedan.
    fwiw, i put 80k miles on an 03 TDI non-sport wagon, including many boston/orlando drives. it was fine on a long trip but after 75k i found the shocks/struts were dead.
    ps - say hi to kukla and fran if you see them around!
  • ok in Seattle area, have test driven 2010 golf TDI Manual, sunroof cold weather, and 2010 golf TDI Automatic, Sunroof, cold weather package. both are 4 door. Manual asking no demanding 25,700 and Automatic asking 27,890 this if before tax, title lic.
    at least one of the dealers on the sticker put "Market Adjustment $1990" So looking at 27,000 OTD for the Manual and probably 29,500 on the Automatic. Yes I know these are in minute supply but this gouging on pricing is ridiculous. Yes? Yes I know the ride is sweet and the power of the cars is great but, this car seems like a vehicle that should be 24,500 OTD. Am I wrong?
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,837
    I advise you to wait for a price of MSRP or less. Call/email around to a few dealers and I bet you will find one that will do the deal @ MSRP.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,685
    I think you will find the dealers in Portland area easier to deal with. I have not been able to deal with Washington dealers the last 15 years. It must be the atrocious taxes in your state.
  • I did my Golf TDI deal at MSRP. In this time of tight supply, high demand, I thought that was reasonable. Now, just waiting for it to arrive....
  • I was able to negotiate a Jetta TDI for $500 below MSRP in the DC area. While at the dealership I asked what kind of deals they are offering on 09 Passat sedans. It appears that dealer and a few others in my area are selling them for 3000-6000 below MSRP or roughly 24-26k on a 29-31k MSRP car. The TDI MSRP is 25,945 and the deal is for 25,495.

I am buying this car for primarily for commuting as my growing family now needs a second car. Our other car is a BMW X3 which will be the kid-hauler. I like the idea of driving fuel efficient car and my commute is about 45 miles round trip. I also drive to NY/Boston 2-3 times a year. But the "deal" on the Passat is very attractive and the additional space, especially in the rear, would be helpful as my two kids grow out of their car seats.

Any insights on the pros and cons of each car relative to the other would be appreciated. I am especially interested in the historical long term reliability of both models. I also heard that you can use regular fuel in a Passat. Does that worsen the mileage on the car. That's what I was told about my BMW so I use premium, but my sister uses regular gas on her Audi A4 wagon.
  • Just bought mine in Santa Clara at Stevens Creek. It's a base base manual. I really enjoyed the test drive of the 6-speed manual. Lots of power!

It listed for $25,060 and they wanted $30,060. After 5 hours I got it for $27,060 + ~$200 for the rubber floor and trunk mats (they really wanted that $60 bucks, too). This was for a model that they had to bring in to california from texas. So, there were some import costs they had to incur. If I wanted the silver (instead of blue) one they had at the location I probably could have paid ~$500 - $700 less.

Also, I bought the extended 60k warranty for $1250 (down from $2200). That took a while, too. Wanted it for $800 but it wasn't in the cards

If anyone wants a manual silver TDI wagon with base options go to Steven Creek ASAP.

Can;t wait to pick it up at the end of the month.

How do you claim the $1300 tax credit????

Woohoo
  • puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    You're right! :mad:
  • jogousajogousa Posts: 402
    In search for my rear windshield wipers I stopped at a local VW dealer (NW Florida) and asked if they have any TDIs on the lot. They had one Golf (formerly Rabbit) Tdi in stock and advised that there are no more coming until March 2010.
    For the one on their lot (due to supply/demand) they want 2 to 3 K over MSRP... and they claim they can get it - that would translate into appx 28 K before taxes and fees.
  • jogousajogousa Posts: 402
    I have 09 SportWagen Tdi (manual) and not long ago I took a ride in Tdi sedan with DSG automatic - I found sedan's suspension a bit stiffer than my Wagon. Other than that there is not much of a difference except Wagon has more space in the back.

I found the styling of Wagon "cool" (as some teens would comment) - it's no longer soccer mom's taxi-type vehicle (never been in Europe anyway). It's a good alternative to small SUV with much better mileage although I would prefer Subaru Forester diesel. Last thing I've heard is that Subaru doesn't have the right automatic transmission to match their diesels (Subaru diesels running the 2nd year in Europe all have manual transmissions).
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

Hi Jogo,

Thought you might like to see the Subaru AWD Diesel wagon that they are quietly building at their plant in the U.S.A.

They ship them to Europe for sale over there.

I think they are a 2 ltr, 258 ft pounds of torqe, diesel boxer engine that gets about the same mpg's as the Jetta TDI's.

If they ever go on sale in North America, that will be my next new car.
    So close yet so far. I have to wonder if they are trying to meet the CARB diesel emissions or just using our cheap labor to build cars here. I would sure consider one if they are sold here. Good clearance and just about the right size. Someone needs to offer a CUV/SUV with a 4 cylinder diesel.
    Right now I don't see Subaru working on meeting higher emission standards, the boxer diesel engine only meets tier 4 standards as a result of a lax emissions loophole for 4 wheel drive vehicles in the EU.

Here's a quick look at how that's going down in England.

"The European Federation for Transport and the Environment (T&E) strongly supports stronger emissions standards but regrets the weakness of the Euro 5 and 6 standards, notably as regards NOx emissions, which it says cause smog, respiratory problems and acid rain. The NGO also deplores the fact that four-wheel drive vehicles have been allowed an additional three year transition period before having to comply with the new rules. "The Parliament, in its 'wisdom', has concluded that these unsafe, antisocial, heavily-polluting cars - should be allowed to pump lethal emissions into the air for an extended period," said T&E Director Jos Dings. He added that the new legislation created an "unbelievable situation" where Euro 6 standards, to be enforced after 2014, will be weaker than those in California and ten other American states (40mg/km for both petrol and diesel cars):
    "An American consumer can buy a super-clean diesel today at their local dealer, while a German will have to wait until 2015 to buy something even remotely similar. There is simply no excuse for allowing Europe to lose its leadership in this area."

So it would seem that Subaru U.S.A. has found a temporary Euro market for a new vehicle that pollutes like our older VW TDI acid rain makers.. ;)
  • north52north52 Alberta, CanadaPosts: 5
    Hi folks, just picked up a 2009 Jetta TDI Highline DSG. Our model had all available options: ESP,Rear Airbag, Sirius and Bluetooth. This model is brand new with 53km (32mi) on the odometer.

I was originally going to wait for Honda to release their diesel - last year they announced that the Acura TSX (European Accord) would be available with Honda's 'clean diesel'. But a couple of months ago Honda announced that, mainly due to current market conditions, they would delay the release for the foreseeable future. Too bad - the current 2.2 turbo-diesel Honda sells in Europe is pretty much the equal of VW's TDI.

VW's TDI was always my first choice, but I wanted to see and drive this new Acura (Honda), but no such luck this year.

Over the next few weeks, we'll keep the forum posted of our family's first impressions!
    Be sure and keep us posted. Let us know how it does in the snow and ice. I would have thought that Subaru would sell their AWD diesel models in Canada. Or the A4 Allroad TDI should be available. Hope you enjoy your new ride.
  • Hello good luck !! I have a question though "What is a Highline" TDI. Never heard of one ? Looking at the 2010 sedan model presently
    In Canada, VW sells the Jetta in 3 different trim levels, the most expensive one with the most standard goodies is called the "Highline"
    (up here they are ALL expensive!)

If I were in the market for a TDI type of new vehicle I would wait until the 2011's come out next fall. The next Gen. Jetta is supposed to be a little bigger all around, and will be a total re-do.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    If I were in the market for a TDI type of new vehicle I would wait until the 2011's come out next fall. The next Gen. Jetta is supposed to be a little bigger all around, and will be a total re-do.

If you are referring to the new VW to be made in Chattanooga, there are many reasons to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

1. The plant is brand new, with brand new workers and a brand new design. I would not want to buy a first year design from a first year assembly plant.

2. VW has stated repeatedly that they are making the car appeal to American tastes to include more and bigger cupholders and handling that is not so firm, as well as making the vehicle bigger. So basically a supersized, numb and dumb version between a Jetta and Passat. VW CamCord?

3. Polo is coming. If Jetta is larger than what you need, (Jetta and Golf are larger and heavier and less fuel efficient that what I'd like) then Polo may merit consideration.

Pricing may improve, so that is good news, VW recognizes that they are priced higher than their competitors and they plan to reduce prices. Unfortunately it may come at the expense of content.
    VW has been busy busy busy decontenting the Jetta since 2006. It's already a stripped down version of it's former self. The 2009's and 10's are the last of the Mark 5 line and I don't think they really gave a hoot.
    The Jetta is in the same bag as the Corolla, Mazda, Fiesta, Versa, Cavalier, and the list goes on...so getting out of that crowd is a must if VW is ever going to step up and start selling more cars.
    I think their game plan is a good one to do that, my only hope is that the new JettaCamryCord will be up to the job.

My 2006 Mark 5 is already an orphan in VW's line up, hate to see them bomb with it's new replacement.

You are right tho about all the possibilites of disaster considering very few of the new workers will know what the hell they are doing, and VW will be using the buyers of this untried model as road testers.

What could go wrong with that... :lemon:
  • Hi Longo - I don't know what you're talking about. While I have no experience with the 2006 Jetta, I did own (and have since sold) a Corolla from that vintage. Now I have the 2010 JSW TDI and it's a world of difference compared to the Toyota.

Satellite radio, bluetooth, 6 disk CD changer with IPOD interface and SD chip, 115V power supply, pano roof, leather multi-function steering wheel, high quality appearance inside and out, TDI with real world 30's in the city and 50mph highway, well designed controls and performance.

It's clear to me that the 2010 JSW TDI is not "in the same bag" as the cars you listed. The fact that VW lots are empty of this model suggests a lot of others agree with me on this one. I'm glad you're happy with your 2006, but I'd suggest you're wrong to disparage the newest JSW.