Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,204
    The new 2.0 turbos use regular gas.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,898
    I would never buy a gas VW. About 80% of buyers agree

Is that just a personal opinion or is that the actual sales breakdown?
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,837
    According to the Elias TDI Bureau, 80% of VW buyers wish they could get a TDI but many of those folks have to settle for the gas VW.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,970
    LOL...

At least these are scientific findings... :surprise:

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• jswtdifanjswtdifan Posts: 9
    Actually, about 85% of JSW's sold are TDI - see this link:

http://moneywatch.bnet.com/economic-news/blog/cars-money/cars-with-the-most-mpg-- for-your-money/532/

I am often amused by comparisons of the TDI to gas versions and the statements of how it would take long to recoup the diesel premium. This is nonsense. The TDI is it's own trim level with several added features compared to the base JSW. Also, it is an APPLES and ORANGES comparison. Have you ever driven a diesel with 236 ftlbs of torque? Will a gasser last 400K miles or more?

We have the 2010 JSW TDI with manual transmission and pano roof. It's a great car. I never even considered the gas version and would not buy it. The TDI engine was a big part of our purchase decision.
    I was actually curious if the sales of VWs offering the TDI approaches anywhere near 80% of total sales of those models. I'm sure it isn't quite that high but wonder if anyone has a handle on the actual numbers?
    No offense but I'm not that interested in specifically the JSW. I was looking for more general info in regards to total Jetta, Golf, etc models that offer the TDI and what percentage TDI make up of all those sales. I heard or read somewhere awhile back that it was around 50/50 but not sure.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,837
    i recall reading that there is a 65/35 or 60/40 gas/diesel split for USA deliveries of Jetta...
    (The number is most definitely known/published/available on Freds and probably the vortex too.)
    Thanks. I assume that would be a lot closer to 50/50 in Europe then or even reversed, 40/60.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,692
    I stopped into my VW dealer a couple days ago. I wanted to see the White gold metallic color. The sales person told me they are expecting the 2011 Tiguan to be offered with the 2.0L TDI. That will get my attention.

You are also right about comparing gas to diesel. It is a poor example as there is NO comparison to the driving. And you will get the extra back when you sell or if you keep it till it falls apart. The VW TDI is the only real winner in their fleet.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 154
    If the'11 Tig comes with the 2.0 TDI, my wife will trade in her '08 Jetta.
  • jswtdifanjswtdifan Posts: 9
    Thanks - I forgot to mention depreciation. The diesel holds its value.
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    We were quite excited by the Tiguan, but we lost interest when we looked behind the rear seat -- there's only 23.8 CuFt. of space back there. Sportwagen by comparsion holds 32.8 CuFt. We bought the JSW TDI and have enjoyed it a great deal so far. It's our first VW and we hope all of the advanced engine technology in this car survives the years without fuss.
    The Sportswagen is much roomier than the Tiguan. I like the ground clearance. I live in the Peoples Republic of CA and the roads are 3rd World as we have blown our $billions in wasteful spending. We have potholes that will swallow a midsized sedan.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Posts: 852
    ....I'm 7.5 miles south of CA's capitol (the roads really arent that bad (IMHO).........

Yesterday I test drove a TDI JSW 6M w/no sunroof. Niello is getting MSRP. CarsDirect shows only the dealer purchase option for this model. Must be selling!!
    (I used CarD 5 years ago - only dealer involvement was delivery - and got a great price. The JSW TDI would be a good complement to my '82 Rabbit diesel pickup.

ez....
    edited May 2010
    My local Dealer too said that it was MSRP or nothing. They were nice about it, but it was clear that no price negotiation would take place. I visited VW's website, checked inventory on line at a great many regional Dealers and found several Dealers who were willing to take less than MSRP. With the $1,300 U.S. Federal tax credit getting halved after 06/30/10, perhaps remaining 2010's (if any) will be sold at favorable prices to make room for the 2011s. The Sportwagen TDIs don't remain long on Dealer lots however. The 2011 JSW TDI will not have any significant changes, except for two new colors I think -- a new blue and brown. Old blue will be dropped. Some stereo changes too.
    The current Sportswagen is the upgraded design. It is the same as the Golf Wagons sold in Europe. Not sure what the new Jetta sedan will be built off of. I like the front end on the 2010 Sportswagen much better than the older model. And they are a good seller for VW. My choice of what VW is currently offering.
    Yep, the new Jetta Sportwagen/Golf is lovely and of the perfect size. Without any explanation, on 05/28/10 VW announced that 2011 Jetta TDI production will be delayed until January 2011. I wonder what's going on? They said the same TDI engine will be carried over, so no major engine change is in the works. Speculation is that perhaps VW is addressing random (and VERY expensive) high pressure fuel pump failures in the 2.0L TDI, but nobody knows for sure.
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    "VW announced that 2011 Jetta TDI production will be delayed until January 2011"

That is bad news. I have been waiting to see the bigger Jetta 2011 style with the idea of trading off my 2006 TDI to get the extra room promised in the new model.

The trade off on our Jetta's large trunk is the cramped leg room in the back seat, no reason to keep the Jetta Toyota Corolla size with that much power and mpg's.

Common, VW, lets get building!