Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kerrietkerriet Posts: 3
    Hi Danman,

I bought my TDI from Hunt Valley Motors in Cockeysville, MD. That was the internet deal on a JSW, not sure if it applies to the Passat. Also, Jon Jackson was my salesman and I highly recommend working with him if possible.

Good luck
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,810
    If you recently traded in a gas guzzler for a more fuel-efficient new vehicle, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 13, 2012 with your daytime contact info and the makes and models of the vehicles.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Just signed a deal for a 2012 Jetta TDI Premium Automatic for $23,600 including floormats and first aid kit. Sounds like a good deal. Can't wait to pick it up.
  • drew11mdrew11m Posts: 85
    Sounds like a great deal! Where are you located?
  • Colonial VW in Westborough, MA. At first I was skeptical but I signed all the papers today so I know its real. .9% financing as well.
  • puonu17puonu17 Posts: 3
    Was that the sale price or the price OTD? How did you get 0.9% rate? Thanks a lot
  • puonu17puonu17 Posts: 3
    In the works of this deal... I still think it can get better... What do you guys think?

2012 TDI Premium Jetta

Auto Trans
    Black with Corn-silk interior
    Touch screen radio- No NAVI
    Rear Spoiler
    Rubber Mats
    Tinted Windows

MSRP: $26,660
    Sale Price: $24,990
    Total fees: $905
    Tax:$1,543.29 (FL 6.5%)
    OTD Price $27,438.29
  • The price of the car was $23,600 plus $295 doc fee which everyone ends of paying. The $23,600 included the delivery fee of (approx $700). The .9% promotion was still in effect so I got that as well. The only other fee was tax which varies state to state.
  • carteachcarteach Posts: 179
    Hi. Which state do you live in? I was told that I could only get 1.9% and OTD was $27. I'm in CT
  • I would check rates at various Credit Unions (they are member-owned cooperatives) (that are open to all members, many are now). I got best % thru credit union...one that was running a special for new car sales. That was last summer, but there are always specials running. And some banks do to. Google your area credit unions/bank name+New Car loans keywords and it should pop up if it's available. Nat'l car loans available too online if you're careful w/who you're using.

Your OTD sounds decent to me for 2012. Your list does not show panaromic sunroof, that mine had, so for the price difference and ..not looking at your other posts so not sure if it has NAV or not (see note below re that). (BTW we LOVE our panoramic roof, glad we went ahead and spent the $ for it, entertainment for our 6 yr old to watch stars at night, feels tad like a convertible on trips).

Jetta TDIs are still in demand so never going to get them dirt cheap like the other cars, so at some point you have to decide if you want to fly/drive somewhere for cheaper $ or get price down to the point you can live with. And also how much TIME you wish to invest in this project.

I bought fully loaded automatic Jetta TDI exactly 1 yr ago, took me 4-6 weeks to get EXACT car I wanted (even though I knew where my car was sitting on Ohio lot they would not trade/transport with most lots for trade w/another lesser model). Yes, I was very picky and wanted spec color inside/out white gold/black inside, but I was patient and nervously waited it out. I could have saved $ more if I had accepted another color or less add-ons of course.

Yr ago I paid $30K OTD (paid more IN tax 7%; KY 6% where I live, so tax added another $280, but that was offset by the NICE rubber sports mats package not in $ negotiated. Proved to be most valuable w/7yr old dropping drinks. Wouldn't buy a car w/o them now.

I had to email 10-12 places within 150 miles to get my car, but it worked out thanks to this Board's/kyfdx's help for how to negotiate and get bites. Only 3 lots would even entertain talking to me when I told them I needed no more than $30K OTD. In end had to drive 120 mi to Evansville (from Louisville) to get my car, but pleasant trip, gave me chance to try out my new car. I'd do it again, D-Patrick (can I say their name?? I'm not sure) group handled every single thing online and I just went and got my car, absolutely NO HASSLES.

One suggestion, from kyfdx was not worry about getting NAV system, given the expense of updating it (YUP..$199 software offer just got, which mine really needs as it was sooo outdated when I rec'd car it's not funny! That's the biggest complaint I've had with my car. Kyfdx said "I'd stick with a $150 Garmin, rather than pay the extra $1800-$3000 for NAV or Tech package on a new car." HE'S RIGHT I believe if you want to hold your $ down. But the car I wanted had it on it, so I bought it and have been happy with tech package. Nav is overdue to be updated but still very useful really. Use it all the time on trips.

Best car experience I've had, and best car I've ever had. Use my comments for whatever they are worth. Different regions/states are never the same deals I found out.
  • dvwdvw Posts: 5
    Just brought home a 2012 Sportwagen TDI DSG with sunroof package, protection package and 1st aid kit for $27,820. Invoice was $28,395. Dealer is Kempthorn in Canton, OH - well worth the drive from Cleveland. Standard Ohio $250 documentation fee plus about $35 for registration. They even found a grey one for me from PA.

Closest competitive quote was about $800 more.
    :)
    Dave
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,845
    That proves there are deals to be had on the JSW TDI. Keep us posted on how you like it. I don't think there are any big changes for the 2013. Hard to improve on perfection. :shades:
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,590
    Not too sure one would call saving $800 a "good" deal, since the person has to drive out of his home city to get the deal.

I would love more rear legroom in the sportwagon, maybe when VW starts producing the wagon on the current Jetta that will happen.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,845
    You are correct it is really a Golf wagon. The only vehicle I have recently tested that has enough leg room for me in the back seat is the ML 350 Bluetec. I rarely buy vehicles close to home. Have traveled many times by air to get the best deal and make a vacation out of the return trip. One downside I have found is you buy locally and the other dealers in the area are not interested in servicing under warranty. When you buy in another state they assume you have moved to their area and try to win you as a customer. I know two people that bought VW Sportswagens here in San Diego and could not get a penny off of MSRP. That was about a year ago, it looks like the supply has caught up here.
  • dvwdvw Posts: 5
    45 miles is well worth $800.

Ditto on the rear legroom. We test drove an Outback and it's rear seats were remarkably spacious. Too bad it drove like a tractor.

The only downside of moving to the new Jetta platform is that the current Sportwagen interior design is much, much nicer than the new Jetta. A different dealer pointed it out, side-by-side on a showroom floor - and I was really surprised. Exterior is a whole other story.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    Compare prices of similarly equipped Passat TDI's and Sportwagen TDI's if you want more backseat space and legroom. I cannot think of a good reason to buy the current Americanized Jetta if you are familiar with and appreciate traditional VW quality interiors. The Americanized Passat has its faults, but the interior quality is more characteristic of VW's available in the rest of the world. The current Jetta (excluding the GLI Autobahn and SEL Premium) just screams "cheap".
  • hoparhopar Posts: 2
    2013 VW Golf TDI 2 door w/DSG and nothing else (no nav/moonroof/HID/Premium sound).

$24,617 + documentation fees and tax

Its bellow invoice, so I am guessing its a good price? Its from my local dealer (20 min drive :P) in NorCal
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,898
    Yes - below invoice for a new VW TDI is a good price but your number is $300 above the invoice price I see on edmunds-new-car-pages. $300 above invoice is also a good price. M
    y timing has never that good when I've bought my 4 VW TDIs - best I've done is $500 under MSRP.
  • hoparhopar Posts: 2
    That's the price for a 2013 model, and they are gonna go up $400-500 for the 2013 model year compared to 2012 :)

I am just worried about the DSG reliability X_x I really want to keep the car for more than 5 years >_>
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    edited July 2012
    VWs have had the DSG now for many years and (from following advice from this forum) they DO need the DSG fluid service done on time i.e every 40,000 miles for mine.

Shop around for a $ervice price. Last time I had mine done it was $260.00 with a discount coupon, some VW dealerships were charging as high as $550.00! (a Las Vegas dealership)

The DSG transmission has a freaky system for draining and filling with the VW special fluid, and unless you are a total diehard DIY'er I would go with getting it done at a dealership.