Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ariknycariknyc Posts: 12
    I'm finishing my lease on VW minivan. I'm sick of leasing. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2013 Passat TDI SE with Sunroof. Cuz you can't skip the sunroof unless you buy a manual trans. So if there is anyone in the NYC metro, Northern NJ even Central Jersey area looking to buy a new Passat TDI model and want to put together a group buy to get the price really low, please respond. Group buy means we talk to the dealer, tell them we want a great price, negotiate the price and then each one handles the financing, payment, delivery on their own. Nothing else. I won't buy the car and then ship it to you if you send a check, money order or any other nonsense like that. I don't care if you're the son of a Nigerian prince who has $200 million dollars stuck in a safe on cargo ship that is supposed to arrive any day now. If you're looking for a 2013 Passat , send me an email with the subject "2013 Passat TDI Group Buy" arikinthecity at gmail
  • Excellent Feedback. I will keep poking around with a few other dealers in Northern Virginia. Totally agree with the $5k more for those options. The inventory at the dealership was very limited and of course they show you the top end model to get you interested.
  • ariknycariknyc Posts: 12
    Just my 2 cents, I don't understand how leasing a TDI makes any financial sense. The car is designed for long term use like 10+ years and high millage driving. Do the math and compare 3 years and millage with lease vs buy or do a TCO for 10 years when you compare a Passat TDI vs 3 separate leases including all costs. You will see that the Passat saves you thousands of dollars even before you factor in the gas savings.

On a short term lease with very limited miles even 15K/ year it just doesn't add up. I wish you luck either way and hope you get a great deal and a wonderfull car.
  • togrovetogrove Posts: 24
    Hello,

I test drove a Passat SE and a TDI SE. Is it just my impression that the TDI feel a bit more powerful than the SE? I am new to diesel fueled cars. What are the main reasons to buy a diesel car vs a gasoline-fueled car? Diesel price is about the same as regular gasoline where I live. If fuel economy is the main reason, I would need to take a closer look at the math. I drive no more than 10k miles a year. Does that make the SE a better choice?

Thanks.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,690
    Let me give you my example. I owned a 2005 Passat Wagon TDI. I sold it a year after I bought it for $3000 more than I paid for it. Probably never happen again. Fast forward with that same Passat TDI.

If I had kept it clean and put 50k miles on it the trade-in value according to Edmunds would be $7572. When I bought mine in 2005 the 1.8T gasser model was actually selling for $200 less than the TDI. The trade-in on the gasser today is $5844. You can expect a diesel to return the difference when you sell it. So the pleasure of driving a diesel vs gas and the far better mileage are likely to pay off even more when you trade in on a new diesel. If you are buying a VW the TDI is the only thing that makes any sense.
  • I just wanted to post my deal for others. I think I did very well, and was able to take advantage of the fact that one dealer has two locations nearby -- but they don't cooperate, separate businesses entirely.

MSRP: 29340
    Sale Price: 25623
    Trade in: 11500

Sale Price
    Trade Difference: 14123
    Dealer Charges: 199 ( I know,I know, but I talked them up $1000 on the trade-in)

Final Price: 14322
    Sales Tax: 852
    Window
    Tinting: 199

I had applied and was approved for 1.74% at PenFed, but gave the dealer a chance to meet or beat. I ended up with 1.44% for 60 months through VW.

I think I got good deal. I was able to get the high end for my trade-in and a nice starting discount.
  • rrocksrrocks Posts: 13
    Looks like a good deal. Congrats and enjoy!! TDI is the way to go.
  • danbeaudanbeau Posts: 11
    MSRP 27,120

Selling price $23,082
    Trade In $ 6,500
    6% Tax $ 995
    Tag Fees $ 182

OTD $17,759

They have to locate Night Blue over Black for me, but should be there Monday!
  • kitarkuskitarkus Posts: 1
    This will be my 2nd VW.....last one purchased was 26 years ago!

I dealt with 4 local dealers to purchase a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen. I purchased a silver, DSG auto, panoramic sunroof, came with monster matts and carpet matts, this is a non navigation model (they call this a "Premium Sunroof". List was $29,760.

I was told REPEATEDLY by other dealers that they COULD NOT make the deal that I desired. I was informed REPEATEDLY that they would be losing money. I finally got the deal done.

Mind you...a trade was involved....but I paid $23,801. I traded a 2001 loaded Acura TL with 167,500 miles. Here is the rub....other dealers offered me between $1500-$2500 for my trade (which sounds about right). I finally got the deal that I wanted when a dealer gave me $4K for my trade. With Trade and dealer fees my total was $23,801.34...I opted to pay the taxes myself outside of the loan. Given the real world trade value of my Acura....I feel like I really bought the Jetta for approx. $26,300 given that my trade was (at most) $2500 max at other dealers. I also took the 0% for 60 months with this deal.

I post this information here as I really appreciate others who have posted their experiences...it was very helpful to me. It took 4 dealers to get it done...but it is done. FYI...all other dealers were within hundreds of one another...it would have taken approximately $27,600 for the Jetta and they would have given me between $1500-$2500 for my trade.

After driving my TL for SOOOO many years...this car is quite a different experiment for me. I hope that I like it. Good luck all!
  • hkk1hkk1 Posts: 3
    Hi guys,
    Narrowed down my list to Passat TDI Manual. Emailed about 15 dealers in DFW, OKC, Houston & Austin. Only a few replies with actual quotes. Here's the best I have
    --------------------------------------------
    MSRP: $ 27,390.00
    Your Price: $ 23,235.00 plus TTL (6.25% Tax in Texas)
    -------------------------------------------
    OTD probably around $25.7. No 0% APR.
    From other posts, it seems people are able to get this for about $25k OTD. Considering, there are only 3 or 4 vehicles in Texas (most not my color choice), what price I can realistically target?

Also, one of the dealers tells me I can get either 0% or dealer cashback. Is that true? Can I not get both?

Thanks.
    You can get whatever the dealer is willing to give to sell a vehicle. I thought I had a lease all wrapped up on a VW Touareg TDI Lux this morning. I have the email in hand for 36 months 10K per year with $0 at closing. The monthly includes sales tax and first years license fee. I go into the dealership and sit while the salesman spends too much time talking to the manager. Finally they come out introduction all around and proceed to tell me the salesman forgot the $999 up front? I quickly told him that makes it $27.75 more per month. He reminds me they are leasing below invoice. I told him I would be in touch. And walked out. I refuse to be jacked around by a mere car dealer. I will probably write a nasty letter to their corporate headquarters. As my last purchase was from their Nissan dealer. Even when you have email in hand they will try to pull a fast one.
  • rrocksrrocks Posts: 13
    This is an example of what makes buying a car, particularly leasing, such a challenge. You have to be on top of every little detail to make sure they don't change something or add a fee at the last minute. All the little games they play (e.g. "the salesman spends too much time talking to the manager") doesn't help the process. But you got it right -- just walk out if they change something.
  • flightnurseflightnurse at 35K feetPosts: 1,524
    It's a psychology game and dealers know how to play it VERY well. You did the right thing by walking out. I wonder if they will contact you to give you and try to get you to come back. Also dealer will listen in to conversations when the salesman gets up and go "talk" to the sales manager, this tactic is horrible. What kind of deal can you get going through the fleet department?
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    Walking out on sales people and sales managers should be much more common, in fact, it should be the norm. In the past 50 years, I've learned to choose my make of car based on the car's specs and quality and the quality of the local dealers' service departments. I make my purchase based on the best price I can get from any dealer in the state. It's the service department and the car that you have to live with. If a local dealership refuses to service your car if you bought it somewhere else, the car is not worth having at any price. Not even a VW. I just bought my 2013 Passat TDI at the local dealer for a reasonable price with minimal haggling because they knew I had walked out twice previously in the last nine years and bought two TDI's elsewhere.
    The Salesman from Mossy VW did in fact call and email me after. I told them I would not deal with his manager. I told him he was unethical and also reported him to Mossy Corporate. I did buy my Nissan Frontier from Mossy Nissan. If that counts for anything. I am now in sort of limbo on a new vehicle. Not sure if I should lease the Mercedes ML350 Bluetec, wait for the Jeep GC diesel to show up or just save my money and drive the old beaters. I will probably lease something before the end of the year. It will be a diesel SUV for sure. As Carman already told me VW does not have good leases. I did give Mossy first chance as they are the closest dealer to me. I had better salesman experience at both Southbay VW and Kearney Mesa VW. If either had a vehicle I wanted I would be giving them a shot. Only one left in the state I would consider. But not with VW leasing terms.
    Can anyone fill me in on the following?
    - What does the maintenance of the current Passat involve? Dealet tells me Oil changes are only once every 10k miles. Is that practical?
    - How's the reliability?

I am torn between Accord and Passat. Hoping to get some help in making the decision.

Thanks
    HK
  • kptaylorkptaylor Posts: 4
    Does anyone know the current money factor and residual for a 36 month lease with 12K miles for a Passat TDI SE w/manual transmission? Does the national/regional deal for the TDI SE w/sunroof ($309/mo) offer a better money factor and/or residual?

Thanks for the help!

Kevin
  • flightnurseflightnurse at 35K feetPosts: 1,524
    edited July 2013
    I wasn't aware you lived in SD. I knew a couple of people who worked for Mossy Nissan when "Mossy" was first starting to get a foot in the SD market. I never thought that Mossy was the type of dealership that played games, but of course times have changed, and I moved from SD in 97'.
    Hi,
    After a week of back and forth with several dealers, I finally put down $500 deposit for the following.

Passat TDI SE Manual
    $24.6k OTD (including 6.25 Texas Title)

The car is in Austin and has about 250 miles on it (because it was traded from FortWorth to Austin sometime back). The dealer is going to get it from there to DFW, so the car is gonna have about 500 miles on it by the time I pick it up.

Looking at some of the other purchases posted here, others have done a few to several hundred dollars better, but the fact that there are only about 10 cars in the entire state of Texas, and only 2 of the color that I wanted, I figure it's an ok deal.

Feel free to chime in.
    -HK
  • cpoeclasscpoeclass Posts: 7
    edited July 2013
    Bought a 2013 Golf TDI 4 door (DSG, sunroof/nav) yesterday for $500 under invoice. Only other thing outside of normal taxes and fees was a $389 "dealer profit fee." I had planned on leasing a new car, but got 0% financing for 72 months from VW credit (not a penny out of pocket yesterday), so I bought instead. My experience is that VW residuals tend to be low verus Honda, for example, and they don't lease particlarly well for that reason.

Dealers were falling all over themselves to sell me a car at invoice, I actually changed what I was asking for to $500 under the day I bought the car. I still think I may have left some money on the table, but was tired of dealing with it and the deal seemed good enought as-is, especially with the cheap money thrown in.

I suspect the deals on 2013s will just get better with the new generation just about here, but supply of the MKVIs (at least TDI Golfs) seemed to be getting a little thin, and I was somewhat specific as to what I wanted.