Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Comments

• Options
    noa1noa1 Member Posts: 7
    We've put about 1800 miles on ours, no issues whatsoever. in our current tank of fuel we could reach the 800 mile mark but we're being gentle on the accelerator. gentle in this car is keeping up with the flow of traffic. well worth it, yes ours is the 6 speed manual learn it right don't try to be creative unless you don't mind replacing the clutch and or ruining your tranny.
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Hello Pengwin ,
    Just left St. Clair Square. The fact that there is a decent supply of TDI's is offset to an extent by the fact that the people who desire these cars actually have the income and credit score to buy them. The dealers know this from experience in putting together deals. They are prepared to wait you out because msrp deals are generally acceptable to this group of shoppers. They really really want one. The deals will get better only if this group has an attitude adjustment. No disrespect to all you TDI junkies. The car has lots of appeal but not financially. Of course, few vehicles have both. Enjoy !
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...the 50 mpg potential makes a JSW 6M a likely candidate to stand in for my venerated '82 VW diesel pickup......

That being said, credit score/attitude permit waiting on the left coast also,,,,,,,,,,

Plus the $1300 tax credit is supposed to last until the end of 2010......

best, ez....
  • Options
    hlcastelohlcastelo Member Posts: 45
    Eight hundred is impressive. I purchased a 6M sedan. On my second tank of gas and it looks like I will get about 525. Currently have 800 miles total on speedo. IN South Fliorida and that is most highway mileage and very frequent use of the AC. What is your secret besides being light on the accelerator?. The car is a blast to drive. Looking to more miles from the next fill up.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    aalsherriaalsherri Member Posts: 68
    I drove manual for over 15 years then started driving autos. I like the convenience and practicality of auto trans especially in town driving. I saw many buyers looking for manual. What are the advantages of the manual in terms of durability, reliability, and longivity over the automatic transmission? I know very little about the German made automatic transmissions. The Japanese auto trans are reliable.
  • Options
    whobodymwhobodym Member Posts: 190
    If you are specifically talking about the 2006+ Jetta TDi, bear in mind that the"DSG" automatic transmission is completely different from conventional automatic transmissions. It is more like a conventional manual transmission, but with two separate servo-contolled clutches. It does not have a torque converter. From my car mag reading, the DSG has an excellent reputation for driveability and efficient performance but I would imagine its durability and dependability are just beginning to be known. Jetta 6MT transmissions are ordinary stuff technology wise (which is not a bad thing). And if you really want to get confused, Jetta 2.5's do have conventional auto transmissions, and they (the transmissions) are made in Japan.
  • Options
    mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert, an engineer, or an investor in either technology.

I had been driving for 40+ years with a stick/manual and would prefer it to an automatic, but that is a personal preference. Sometimes I would drive an automatic but never had the chance to directly compare durability, reliability or longevity. I have never had problems with manual transmission, which by itself is low-maintenance (no transmission fluid to replenish,etc.but that could be because I was just lucky.

I drove both Japanese (Toyota, Datsun, Nissan) and German (Audi, BMW, VW) cars, and while I prefer the Germans, I don't think they have any significant advantage over the Japanese makes in those terms.

I drove my second Audi for 11 years (110K miles+) and my one and only Nissan for 12 years (120K miles+) without any problem with their manual transmissions. Your experience may not be similar, as these are mechanical things that can break for any reason.

Good luck in your search. You may also want to consult an automative engineer for a better idea. Me, I don't care. I buy what I like to drive.
  • Options
    pengwinpengwin Member Posts: 74
    the tax credit is for the first 60,000 sold, after that its 1/2 the value.

that said, im not really sure if a TDI is a good choice. Diesel prices seem to be more erratic than gasoline. Maybe i'll go with a wolfsburg.
  • Options
    pengwinpengwin Member Posts: 74
    i know manuals are thought to be more reliable because there are less parts which usually means less things to go wrong but there is also a lot of human error which can cause manuals to need repair. With an automatic it's fairly hard to screw it up....
  • Options
    chebella82chebella82 Member Posts: 7
    Just wanted to post that i just bought a new jetta tdi loyal for 23025 + tt&l = 24750 at a houston VW dealership. (Sticker was 24190). they had 5 loyal's in stock at the time. Just wanted to let people know that you dont have to pay MSRP, they just want you to think you have to.
  • Options
    Question- If the vehicle is leased by a local bank, who gets the credit? The user is the person who leases vehicle and should not be the bank.

Or is the credit lost?
  • Options
    redvwredvw Member Posts: 40
    What is the difference between the TDI, and the TDI Loyal edition?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,196
    If it's leased.. no one gets the credit..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ksmigelksmigel Member Posts: 56
    Any modern manual transmission should last at least 80k-100k miles before any new parts, mainly the clutch, need to be replaced. There are fewer parts, which means there are fewer things to go wrong, versus an automatic transmission.

Automatic transmissions are among the most problematic components of any vehicle, regardless of the origin. Both Honda and Toyota had massive recalls on two of their best selling cars because of problems with their automatic transmissions.

If you know how to drive a manual properly, and change your gear oil appropriately (I use redline), you should easily be able to go 100,000+ miles with no other maintenance or repair costs with a manual.

Cheers

Don
  • Options
    the loyal has the sunroof and automatic transmission included for a total msrp of 24190. i think it also includes the ipod thing but im not sure because i dont use that feature. Anyway on a regular tdi to add the sunroof alone is $1,000 so it's a good deal.
  • Options
    mdl3r1mdl3r1 Member Posts: 21
    Sounds like not a bad deal chebella. I been looking at a similar MSRP tdi (not loyal edition) of about 24,567...and am ending up at ~22800 before tag taxes etc. which is ~ 533 below invoice..., so indeed, like edmunds.com teaches, deal up from invoice and not from MSRP down.
    This is my first time in these forums and have been reading for a couple hours, so i have couple questions.
    1) what was your invoice, chebella for your deal; did you find it out?
    2) i read earlier that somoene said to offer 1K below invoice? I know they got holdback (3%, which they usually dont like to touch, per edmunds) and other mfg to dealer incentives, credits, etc, but am i leaving money on the table based on what i put in here?
    Tdi's being what they are, one can still get a good, fair deal...but 1K below may be too much to expect?
    Thanks in advance y'all,
    md
  • Options
    the tax credit is for the first 60,000 sold, after that its 1/2 the value.

So...how can one know if we're still within those 60,000 and can get the full credit??
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    It will be 2-3 years before VW reaches 60,000 with current car sales in the dumpster. I would guess they have sold less than 10,000 TDIs this year. The tax credit does not get cut in half until the quarter following the 60,000 sales point. You got plenty of time left.

PS
    I think you got a great deal. Anything under invoice, I like it.
  • Options
    Does the above mentioned tax credit phase out for people who earn above a certain income, or who are subject to the alternative minimum tax?
  • Options
    Unless they have changed the law, you DO NOT get any tax credits when you pay AMT. That was my situation last year. I understand they have made some changes to the tax code as each year more people get caught by that unfair tax.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response on the tax credit, gagrice. :-) Nice to know I'll get the full 1,300 credit and the overall picture #.

And, speaking of #'s, I think I bagged a great deal! In addition to the deal I outlined below, 533 under invoice, I went to see a truly nice sales guy I met at first big VW dealer I visited, and to test drive the manual. They, as usual ask "what will it take to make a deal?" Well, since I was not going to buy from them, I asked for "what kind of deal would make me not be able to walk away?", so I asked for a model with sunroof at no charge.
    That would mean, $1,000 higher MSRP, for nothing more! To make a long story short, they gave it to me for $250 more, PLUS free splash guards put on...and they tint windows themselves free!

#'s? MSRP 24,939. Sales price: 22,750. Yes, that's ~2200 below MSRP!

Time to buy, y'all...if you do your research and stay nice no matter what. :-)
    I pick her up tomorrow. Deal is in writing. I did get to deal with 2 awesome people there that will get a nice letter from me...

Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    You are hitting the market at a great time. Car sales are way off and diesel prices are much higher than gas. That is the time to buy. Americans usually buy when the market is not in their favor. Hope you love the car.
  • Options
    mdl3r1- sounds like you got a great deal! i remember that my price was below the invoice, but i dont remember what invoice was unfortunately. i do know that i got about 1100 off msrp (plus the free window tint). ive already put 3k miles on my jetta and im loving it!! im sure you will love yours too, those heated seats are awesome in this cool weather :) oh, what state are you in by the way?
  • Options
    @Gagrice: The market is as you observe, and would the best time to buy. Thanks. And you're also right in that we often buy when others are, and not buy when other's aren't. But, when people aren't buying, that's when buyer is more precious to those sellers!

@ chebella - i will try those heated seats wen it gets "cold", like in the...50's? LOL I'm in Florida, so "cold" is relative...but we do have some days in the 30's then back to 60-80's...but I'm sure I'll drive this baby up north sometime...Glad you're enjoying your TDI...I'm looking forward to finding out what everyone raves about on here first hand :shades:
  • Options
    nyhdeucenyhdeuce Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

Just closed on a lease for a 2009 Jetta TDI. Here is the info:

Manual Transmission
    Graphite Blue Metallic
    Art Grey Int
    Sunroof
    Ipod
    Mats

Term: 36 months
    Miles:15k per year
    MSRP: 24,038
    Price Paid: 22,500
    Taxes and Fees: 1905
    Total: 24,413
    Residual: 59
    Money Factor: .003

No money down, no security, no first months payment: 400 per month.

I found this site really helpful when negotiating, thanks everyone!
  • Options
    VW's Current offers expire on Jan. 2, 2009. Will it be likely that a new sales incentive will be offered which includes the TDI?
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Car companies typically set current offers to expire in the near future to create that sense of urgency. While anything is possible, I'd say the the likelihood of additional sales incentives for the coming year, given the state of the economy, is very high.

as long as the economy is slow and oil prices are low, you'll be sure to get a good deal on an oil burning jetta. Our local dealer has many sitting on the lot.
  • Options
    A local VW dealer stated in that in addition to a $650 destination charge that VW charges dealers other fees such as advertising and other fees totaling $1000 per vehicle. This local dealer stated that these fees are passed on to customers. I was shown an invoice, and the fees did add up to $1000.
  • Options
    chittychittybbchittychittybb Member Posts: 6
    Wow...just wow...tell them you're not paying it. Advertising is NOT passed onto customers. If they are one of those dealers who go out of business then they deserve it. Did they tell you to pay the janitor's salary too?
  • Options
    I agree. They'' try to tell you how they have to pass on all kinds of stuff...and it'll work, unless you KNOW it ain't so and they see that you know.
    I paid below invoice, and it did not have anything added but the destination charge. Unless you let them know that you are certain of the price of the vehicle and no extra fees, they will sing any tune saying those costs have to be so. No way.
    I recommend looking up the invoice price on edmunds.com and then also read up on tricks and "confessions of a car salesman", also on here. One part explains what fees you pay...and which are not legit.
    In the end, I paid just below 1,000 below invoice...a true invoice.
    As the other person posted, they have them on the lot, and they way things are, and nso few buying and so many panicking, do your homework, be sure of what you know, shop more than one dealer against another, and see who gives you best internet price, then push them a couple times more and you're sure to get a good deal. Just be firm but courteous the whole time...we're only out to get a fair deal and not get overcharged...at the end of the deal, they are still people like us with families and need to make a living...and always be nice. :shades:
  • Options
    The price I am negotiating for a 2009 manual TDI with optional rear air bags, sunroof, ipod adaptor, and splash guards is $24074. This price represents the options, the destination, and a fee to retrieve the vehicle from out of state.

Edmunds: MSRP $25458
    Invoice $23986
    TMV $25727

Thus $1384 under MSRP, and $88 over invoice.

Consumer Reports has this deal with 4% mark up at $54 over their bottom line price. Does this look like a good deal?
  • Options
    Thus $1384 under MSRP, and $88 over invoice.

That is not bad. If you plan to use that dealer for all your service it would be best not to beat them down to nothing. You might get them to throw in oil changes during the warranty period. I am expecting diesel to come down closer to gas prices this year and the diesels will again bring a premium price. Good time to buy now.
  • Options
    The first three 10k services are covered by VW.
  • Options
    BMW does that also. Not sure why all car makers don't. It is a good way to keep up with any little problems that a model might have. I was not impressed with the $60 bill for my Sequoia at 5,000 miles.
  • Options
    modo4128modo4128 Member Posts: 5
    just got a 2009 TDI sedan w a 3yr lease with 12k miles/yr at san francisco VW dealer. deets are below:

platinum gray
    sunroof
    rear/side airbags
    mats package
    ipod adapter

24993 price + 695 acquisition fee= 25668 gross cap cost

736 paid at closing

441 monthly payments

smell like a fair deal? happy new year
  • Options
    Hey modo,

If your gross cap cost was 25668 and you paid 736, that makes your adjusted cap cost 24932.

The VW sheet has the residual in a 36-mo lease at 59% at 15K; at 12K = +2 = 61% (nice high residual) of the MSRP. The 24,993 sounds like the sticker price, before the 650 destination fee. So, I'll assume that was your MSRP and so the residual value is .61 x the 24993= 15,245.73.

Subtract the residual from the net/adjusted cap cost to get your Depreciation, which is what you pay in a lease. So, 24932-15,245.73 = 9,686.27 (nice low value)

Now, you do not tell us your "money factor" or percentage rate. They are not the same. Regardless, your contract has to spell out the "Rent Charges" (and usually does not spell out the APR or Money Factor) which is how much they charge for financing those 9,686.27 over the 36 months. So, that is added to what gets divided by 36.

A money factor has to be multiplied by 2400 to get the real APR. So, 6% APR / 2400 = a money factor of .0025.

Since your payments are 441 (including tax), I'll assume a total financed of 441 x 36=15,876. I have no clue what your tax is, so I'll just leave it out for now.

So, taking 15,876 minus your 9,687 (rounded up) = about $6,189 (ouch) in rent charges and tax... this amount seems high...let's convert that and see what it turns out in interest rate:

Money Factor (trust me, this formula is right: check LeaseGuide.com) = Lease Charge/((net cap cost + residual) x term of 36) = 5689/(24932+9687)x36 = 6189/34619x36=0.0049659
    Multiply that by 2400 is your APR = 11.918 % (ouch)...which is high...and explains the high "Rent Charge" or amount added to the depreciation of 9687.

As a very rough reference, my last vehicle i leased a Camry for 66 mo's ( I should have never leased anywhere near that long-it was a rape, really, but i was clueless) and the Rent charges over 66 months was only 3008. I paid wayy too much depreciation, another no-no).

So, if your real percent rate had been 6% (roughly half), divided by 2400 = a Money Factor of .0025. Using that gives:

Rent Charges = .0025 x (24932+9687) x 36 = 3,115.71. That's more like it.That would have made your payments 9687+3116/36= 12803/36 = 355.63 per month.....

Again, this does not include taxes, so I know I am off...but 3116 is a lot better than 6189. Sorry to say, but they added about $3073 just in this aspect.

Another place to save could have been in the Sales Price. You essentially paid sticker price. Per edmunds, the invoice price was around 23,551. (about 1500 bucks between sticker and invoice) I don't know what the situation in your area, but doing your homework and knowing the numbers on this car allows the buyer to be firm on paying way below sticker, regardless of their assertions. 500 over invoice is not an uncommon "internet" deal if you show them your edmunds numbers. If they have TDI's on the lot, there's no need to pay sticker, regardless of their assertions.

There are others more savvy than me here, but what I learned I learned primarily on leasguide.com. I highly recommend you read through it and its free, even without buying the lease Kit. I was a totally different buyer this time around, and they knew it. I ended up with a sweet deal on a purchase (which I posted earlier), but the sales price gets negotiated the same way, lease or buy. (Don't let them tell you different). The lease just works as outlined above, where you pay only the depreciation, plus the rentcharges, computed as above. That's where they get you if they can...btw, the 61% residual is great, because it means a lower depreciation for you...but rent charges is the other variable that can vary, plus of course, the sales price.

Sorry to not be able to say better...but it is what it is...minus the tax difference of course...
  • Options
    modo4128modo4128 Member Posts: 5
    thanks for the feedback...here are some more #s from our lease agreement:

we paid the first month's lease payment at close so there are 35months remaining on the lease.

736 @ closing = 441 (lease payment #1) + 237 registration fee + 58 CA Tire fee

Gross Cap Cost 25688
    Adjusted Cap 25688
    Residual Value 15037
    Depreciation 10650
    Rent Charge 4002
    Base lease 407
    Lease tax 34

the dealer indicated that on the TDI, VW requires them to use a standard residual value and money factor. I believe the money factor is .00312. the rate is higher than their other models as the TDI is in hi demand right now.

hope this clarifies the math. thanks again for any input.
  • Options
    I have only leased once back in 1976. I always felt it was a rip-off unless you were writing the entire amount off to your business. It looks to me like you are paying about 15.5% interest for the 3 years you are leasing that vehicle.

I prefer beating the dealer down below invoice and paying cash or borrowing from my Credit Union. I hate giving big bucks to the bank when they are paying little or nothing for that money.
  • Options
    investor27investor27 Member Posts: 59
    I don't understand the "Rent Charges." So you are leasing the car and you are paying monthly (in this case $440 per month) with your own money. Why do you have to pay an additional $4000 "Rent Charges?" Thanks.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,196
    The rent charge is the finance portion of the lease

Depreciation + finance + tax = lease payment

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Yes, investor27. I thought leasing was also "renting" but not really. One is paying the depreciation, just like in buying you incur that "loss" but you just don't "keep the car" necessarily. So, you still have money being tied up and transferred, and the bank/leasing company charge interest all the same on the transaction. VW sells the car to dealer, dealer sells to you and me, and whether buy or lease, a banl/lender/lease company pays for the car to the dealer...then you and i either "pay to keep" or "pay to use only for the term and pay depreciation only"...Uncle Sam gets their tax...and the lender involved also gets their interest for lending it during the term....
    LeasingGuide.com explains it pretty well for us newbies... :shades:
  • Options
    $440 per month seems high. Here in South Fl, I was able to lease TDI 6speed manual, sun roof, ipod adapter and 17 inch wheels for $345 month plus tx for a 36 mos lease (financed by US bank). Car MSRP was $24,650. The lease is for 15K miles a year. Cash out the door which included first payment was $585. It took about an hour and some negotiation. This in late October, 2008, imagine now one can probably do better.
  • Options
    hulkeduphulkedup Member Posts: 14
    TDIClub.com has some great resources for buyers:

Prices Paid for 09 Jetta TDI

It seems most people have been paying MSRP for the TDI Jetta, but over the last few months, people were reporting paying under MSRP, so the market may be improving.

Dealer selling TDI Sportwagens for $600 over dealer invoice

Same Dealer offering TDI sedans for $300 over dealer invoice

I went to a dealer this weekend to look at the Sportwagen. The dealer told me that VW is only bringing in 4,500 TDI Sportwagens this year so there are not that many available.
  • Options
    ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    Was at our VW dealer today (Sunday) and they have maybe 6 or 7 TDI's. Some had a market adjustment of 5% while some didn't have any adjustment. All were equiped about the same and going for about the same price. Any reasons why??
  • Options
    I would say they are dreaming of a sucker walking in and plunking down his hard earned, without researching the auto market. I cannot imagine any car in the USA going for MSRP today. It is a BUYERS market. Even BMW is dealing and being pleasant to anyone that walks through the door. If you are serious and the dealer has something you like. Offer $1000 under invoice and go from there. I know we have about half dozen VW dealers here in SD. All have Jetta TDIs on the lot for sale. The wagons are in shorter supply and would require some squeezing to get to invoice.
  • Options
    I understand what you are saying but why would some have the "adjustment" and some others not have it????
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    A quick ? A 5% adjustment to what?
  • Options
    The "adjustment" was 5% of the MSRP. About $1,200 to $1,300.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    It just sounds like part of the selling strategy.
  • Options
    The one I'm interested in has an MSRP of $25,060 and an "adjustment" of $1,275 for a total of $26,335. I'll start at $24,250 and see what happens.