Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I just bought my Jetta in June, not a minute too soon. I live in Tulsa and since graduating from Auburn University in 1975 have driven nothing but Volvo.
    I have always had a fondness for "diesel", perhaps it reminds me of our Alabama farm or even the Pep-rallies and parades at good ole AU.
    I admit stilling being on the honeymoon but the mileage and handling on my package 2, automatic is fantastic. I had limited choices and feel fortunate to have secured a white with leather beauty. This one came with a factory installed 17 inch tire, something I didn't budget for but what the heck. The full size spare in the trunk is a pretty nice touch....my volvo s80 2002 had only a donut.
    The first tank was totally in town driving and only live a few miles from the office, hitting the beltway a couple of times I hit 32.5.
    The appointments and engineering touches compared to by beloved Volvo(31 years and one life saved) are humbling. I love the German engineering and will serve as a constant reminder, we want to keep the Germans building cars and not tanks!
    So, if you are on the fench about buying a car: think outside the box, forget the hybrids, don't steal a gas guzzler because of the price, don't think about what you think you know about diesel cars, don't worry about finding fuel.....just get thee to a dearlership and buy one....
    Written from a guy who looks like Albert Einstein.
    www.itdoesnttakeagenius.com
  • smdtdismdtdi Posts: 31
    I have a 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon with about 32,000 miles on it.

I have had it in the shop twice for "glowplug heater" replacement (under warranty).

The last time was 8 days ago. The "check engine" light is on again now.

How much would it cost to replace these if it wasn't under warranty?

Does VW offer an extended warranty?

I'm beginning to wonder if this would be a worthwhile purchase, since I have had many problems that have been fixed under warranty.

These problems have included a passenger door which would not open (took two visits to repair ...I had to mention the lock mechanism to get them to replace it), and a drivers side window which would not open.

Any thoughts?
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,035
    They should offer an extended warranty. Go to a different dealer that does not know the car history. Get it online.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Okla Diesel prices have gotten ridiculas..
  • pstakempstakem Posts: 5
    Have a new 2006 Jetta TDI about 2 weeks now.
    Paid $22,400. at Alexandria (Va) VW - they
    had 5 in stock, essentially identical, and
    priced the same. 1 auto, 4 stick. They were
    not dealing at all on the price - take it
    or leave it, due to lack of '07 diesel models.
    They seemed particularily well stocked, with
    R32 and Phaeton models as well, and the EOS (?)
    hardtop convertible.
    35 mpg on my first tank.
    I got the VAG-COM software, and it seems quite
    useful.
    We also have a 2000 New Beetle TDI with 120,000 miles.
  • ukjimukjim Posts: 63
    I am new to this forum, although I have posted on the Mazda RX8 :sick: and Saab :D sites (previous and existing ownerships).
    A close friend of mine is determined to purchase a diesel car, ideally a wagon, she lives in Berkeley naturally :) . Anyway, after some research, and reading the past postings, it appears that the best place to find a decent selection of Jetta TDI's is in Canada. Can anyone tell me if there are major hurdles to overcome in registering a Canadian car: a) in the U.S. and b) in California? And if so what they are.
    I support her effort in this quest and so would appreciate any advice you can offer. Also, if a trek to our northern brothers isn't required I would like to know where we might find a selection of low milage cars in the U.S.
    Thanks
    I would like to know where we might find a selection of low milage cars in the U.S.

Two things. They are not cheap and I think you are in for a long battle trying to register a Canadian car in CA.

From experience: I bought a new 2005 Passat wagon TDI in Oregon. Kept it 13 months and sold it in CA for $3000 more than I paid new. The only CA requirement is that it has 7500 miles on it to be registered. My advice would be to email all the VW dealers in and around Washington, Oregon and Idaho. Tell them you want a late model Jetta or Passat TDI wagon. That info is available on the VW or Edmund's website. Good luck. I miss my Passat Wagon. The VW diesels are great to drive.
  • ukjimukjim Posts: 63
    Thanks for the tips. I think this may get put on hold for a while, she didn't realise how much the diesels were going to be and she doesn't want to spend more than $20K.
    TDI wagons are rare to start with. There are 5 on eBay currently. For the exact same car I sold for $29k, someone is asking $31,750. It has 20k miles while mine had only 8k miles. I would not get one that does not have some of the 4 year 50k mile warranty left. You do not know how the person drove the car and what kind of diesel they used. CA has had good diesel for a couple years. There is still some bad diesel in parts of the USA. It is a dilemma for sure. Wanting to buy a car and none that you like available.
  • We are in the market for a car and might consider the Jetta. Could someone tell me if JETTA TDI is the only way to go or is 2.5 lt 2007 worth looking into?
    Thanks
    Irfan :confuse:
  • mnr49mnr49 Posts: 7
    I think if you do the math, you'll find the payback on the TDI to be quite lengthy. I just bought a 2007 2.5 auto, package 2 for $22,300. It was not readily accessible and had to be ordered from the factory. I have a friend who is quite happy with his TDI--44K miles in one year! :)
  • Thanks mnr49. Currently looking at 2007 2.5 jetta with package 1 and with cold-package and sun/moon roof.
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,362
    Are holding up nicely. I had been searching for a used jetta tdi for over a month.. in California. Lots of salvage vehicles....or ones with high mileage. But all with a relatively high price. I guess these cars maintain their value.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    If I was NOT getting a TDI, I would condsider another vehicle . It is however a safe vehicle in either guise. Keep in mind the resale of the TDI will be many times over the initial cost. My dealer has TONS of trade in 2.5 models allready on the lot,if that tells you any thing.

Good luck on your decision.

DL
  • esteezeesteeze Posts: 102
    Keep in mind the resale of the TDI will be many times over the initial cost

How can this be? That statement seems to be contrary to the accepted laws of car economics.
  • erikerik Posts: 21
    A few points. We have a 02 Jetta WGN TDI and 05 Passat WGN TDI.

It took two years to make up the extra 500 or 1000 for the diesel option. The funny thing is people pay more for a V6 or V8 or R32 and they get worse mileage. The price of diesel is now the same as regular unleaded.

I checked the resale of my Passat TDI and it was 24500. We bought it new for 28500. It is selling for 4000 more than the 1.8T or v6 similarly equipped wagon. Why? There were not a lot sold from 2004 to 2005 and VW doesnt bring them into the US now.

Smoke you later
    ... with DSG/auto transmission and sunroof.

25,850 (selling price and doc fee)

26,850 (including tax and title)

EDIT: MSRP is 26,700
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,398
    What is the MSRP?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

What is the MSRP?

26,700 (I went back and added this to the original post, also)
    So... you bought it? Recently?

So... you bought it? Recently?

Yep...closed it today. Ink is still wet on the paperwork. I go back and pick it up later today.

I'm pretty excited about it; I've been looking at them for a while.
    Sounds nice.... The TDIs come pretty well equipped, right? Auto or stick?

Congratulations.. !!

Sounds nice.... The TDIs come pretty well equipped, right? Auto or stick?

Thanks!

It has the 6-speed DSG/auto transmission, which are somewhat unique.

The "Special Edition" comes more or less fully loaded, with the following noteable exceptions:
    - No leather seats (rather, a vinyl-like material... but still has heated driver and passenger seats)
    - No power seats
    - No navigation system

(I didn't really care about those features anyway.)

... just about everything else, though. (power sunroof, Sirius satellite radio, telescoping steering wheel... with audio controls, multi-function display)
  • rodekillrodekill Posts: 4
    I just recently purchased an '04 Jetta TDI, and am wondering does anyone have a cold air delivery system for this model? K&N has a replacement air filter, But all cold air apps stop at '03 What is the diff. in the 2 engines? I'm looking to maximize perfomance and efficiency if that is possible. I'm not new to diesels(I've owned a few), only these.,rodekill
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,916
    This question has been covered in other VW TDI threads, as this thread concentrates more on pricing experiences.
    Here is a link to the general VW Jetta TDI discussion.

Try asking there...

Thanks,
    kyfdx

• rodekillrodekill Posts: 4
    thanks I wasn't paying attention
  • rtw67rtw67 Posts: 2
    I've been thinking about giving up my truck for an economical car. I've always liked VW but didn't think I would be able to find a TDI Jetta. The two dealers in my area both have 4 - 6 new 2006 TDI's on the lot. I was a bit shocked by that... I'm in Omaha, maybe that's the reason? To me, a 2006 model should have a significant discount, can I expect that from VW?
    I would not expect a big discount with diesel selling cheaper than regular. The reason they still have 2006 models is for the diesel option. The current TDI will not pass 2007 emissions. So VW is selling 2006 models until they release the new 2008 TDI that is going to be 50 state compliant.

That said. If you like one of the cars at your dealership I would try to get them down to invoice or below.
  • rtw67rtw67 Posts: 2
    That is what I thought. I had a conversation with the dealer today. They pretty much said they wouldn't discount the TDI much at all. But, they have a few 06 Passats with very nice discounts. I might go that route since the bigger car is little nicer for the family. They are not TDI cars, but they still get a lot better mpg than any truck.