Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Well since you got a good car it doesnt really matter that much if you paid a little bit more.

It should repay you in saved fuel.
  • Hello -

I'm quite close to finalizing a deal on a used TDI, but I wanted to get some input from some of the members here. I'm new to diesels, but not to VW's (currently own a '91 GTI). My wife and I are currently expecting, and we've decided that we really need a wagon. We both enjoy the style and driving feel of Passats, and the idea of saving some gas $$ by owning a diesel. So, the TDI seems a natural choice.

Obviously TDIs (particularly Passat wagons) are getting rather scarce right now, but after calling 25 dealers in a 50 mile radius of my home, I managed to find a single one: a CPO 2004 Passat TDI GLS wagon with 17k miles for $22.6k. It has leather(but no wood), ESP, power sunroof, rubber floormats, 15" wheels, and is in excellent condition cosmetically. We test drove it, loved it, and started negotiating. The dealer won't budge from $22.6k plus $100 in "dealer fees." He's holding it for us, and we have a week to decide.

Everything I've read suggests that this is probably a pretty great deal, but I would really appreciate some input from the community of experts.

Thanks!
  • I stopped by our vw dealer car shopping in Aug of 2005 asked about the diesel car, drove a 2.5 package 2 Jetta liked the power seats on both front seats, rain sensing wipers, the auto dimming rearview mirror and the auto head lights. The wood trim was a nice. Liked the car so much I order the TDI Package 2 with Nav and automatic. I was told it would be just like the 2.5 I drove. I ordered the Jetta on Sept. 1 2005. I was looking forward to have a cd player the played MP3's. Keep checking with the dealer about delivery about the end of Nov. the schedule was March 27 2006. In January I found out all of the features I like had been dropped from the 2006 Model. I was just ready to cancel and order a prius and wait another six months for a car. The only feature lacking on the prius was the rain sensing wipers and power. I test drove the prius on monday and was ready to cancel the TDI on Tuesday. My TDI arrived that day. The dealer offered a discount for the lack of information about my car. I now have 800 miles on it and enjoy it. But since I put the Navigation system on the car I lost the ability to play MP3's T :( his has not been well documented and I think VW has droppped the ball on this car. I paid $1800 to have a top of the line radio/Nav system. I could by $40 cd player and get MP3 to work. If input in a 3.5 MM jack or Ipod system it disables the CD player. I did not expect the Nav system to be a negative on this car.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Posts: 187
    Just talked to a local VW dealer about a pkg 2 TDI Jetta, & he tells me the TDI will not be imported in model year 2007. I like the TDI, but am reconsidering purchasing something that might end up an orphan.
  • Houston Volkswagon dealers are totally unprepared for dealing with customers; and have been given the impression that Volkswagon is unprepared to sell, market, or service cars in the USA. I had a Golf when I was in Norway; the car was excellent, and the dealers very customer oriented.
  • pupspups Posts: 2
    Am seriously thinking of purchasing 06 Beetle TDI, but have not been able to determine if these vehicles can take biodiesel fuel. Dealers unable to make claim. Can anyone tell me if they know whether of not the Beetle 06 Diesel can accept the fuel. If they can, where in Pinellas Co. Florida does one buy the fuel. I heard that Shell is selling the fuel. About how much does it cost per gal. Also, can anyone tell me if the Feds, or State will offer tax credits for these fuel efficient cars? A fast reply would be great as I am in negotiations with a dealer and want to close one way or another. has anyone info regarding the accurate miles per gallon the Beetle diesel 2006 actually gets highway/ city.
  • jkinzeljkinzel Posts: 735
    http://www.tdiclub.com/

Im sure you might get the answer here, but the TDI Club is your best place for answers.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    You might check out this link. BIO-Beetle of Hawaii just opened an office in LAX to rent VW Beetles running on 100% biodiesel. Also Kettle Chips in Portland is running a fleet of VW Beetles on their used cooking oil. I would say it is one of the most tested cars using Biodiesel. You should average 45 MPG with either the Manual or DSG transmission.

http://www.bio-beetle.com/
  • 2006 Silver TDI with Pkg2/XM and rear airbags. $25,400 including $500 owner loyalty.

They made a lousy offer on my 1998 Passat, but will sell the car at that price without the trade. It's ~ $1K below TMV for my area (Austin, TX).
  • fenris2fenris2 Posts: 31
    Afaik they take up to B5 (5% bio D) and you keep your warranty, more and you risk losing your warranty on fuel related components.

Apparently there have been a wide number of expensive warrenty claims VW has had to cough up for from bad biodiesel - both from bad commercial BD and poorly created home brew BD as well. So, they are far more restrictive here than they are in europe. Personally I would only use high levels of biodiesel if I made it myself, which I am considering, or if I were sure the source made good BD.

There is some debate on how biodiesel will work with the PD diesels (MY 2004+). Some are indeed doing so w/o problems, but the biggest number I have seen is 19K miles from that biodiesel beetle auto rental place mentioned earlier. So, a bit too early to tell for sure I guess

I do not think there are tax credits for the VW diesels as you need to have a clean emissions diesel to qualify. AFIAK the bluetech diesel from mercedes qualifies/will qualify, and (cheapest car I have seen it in) will be found in the jeep grand cheerokee sometime soon

As to future diesels? VW will hopefully quailify with the new line of common rail diesels they are suppose (rumor has it) to be bringing out across their product line in MY 2008.
  • bobspivybobspivy Posts: 14
    I'm getting ready to take delivery of a 2006 Jetta TDI with manual transmission. I spent a lot of time doing web based research, and I noticed there is a TDI forum online. On the "For Sale" section of that site, there are dealers who will post what deals are going on, and at Langhorne VW, in Langhorne, PA, they are currently selling 2006 Jetta TDI's, with manual transmission, for $100 below invoice ($21,245). The deal isn't only for current stock, either. They said that if I wanted a color, it's the same deal, whether they have it, or have to go get it. I'm going to abide by the rules of this site, and not mention the salesperson, but if you are interested in who it is, feel free to email me.

I live in MD, and went to Cook VW to compare , and they couldn't come close to the deal, nor could they come close to the trade value that Langhorne VW offered.
  • tacomaboytacomaboy Posts: 35
    I am in Austin, TX, and am looking at an 06 Jetta TDI in black or red with Package 2 and Rear air bags to replace my S2000. Time to grow up some I guess.

It looks like I should not expect to pay the 25,700 or so MSRP, so, what should I expect? I am not afraid to haggle or walk if need be, as I have another vehicle, and dont NEED to pay extra money to get one ASAP.

But am I going to have to pay some sort of premium to get into a diesel? Any tips here? Thanks!
  • kewlmaxkewlmax Posts: 2
    Bob, I am interested in doing the same thing, so let me know what I need to do. Thanks!

Jim
  • mlm1mlm1 Posts: 3
    Avenger1, do you knowt he name of the dealer in Oregon who was selling the TDI at 19.5K? I was quoted today MSRP from a dealer in Bellevue today. Thanks.
  • bobspivybobspivy Posts: 14
    Jim,
    Send me an email so I don't break forum rules.

Rob
  • mbadjurambadjura Posts: 4
    cisa - did you ever get the Jetta Wagon? May U ask what you ended up paying and how you like it?
    Any Canadians out there that purchased a new Jetta TDI wagon recently? Love to hear what you paid and how you like it :)
    Thanks much
  • dolphindolphin Posts: 71
    bobspivy, Langhome has an excellent record on TDI Club...I think you will be very happy with them. Good luck!
  • 24262426 Posts: 4
    What dealer did you buy from? I'm in Fort Worth and would drive to save 1,500! Have you been happy with your tdi so far?
  • austin50austin50 Posts: 1
    Can't say on TDI, but I've ordered the 2.0T from Tranum in Temple and they beat Hewlett and Maund by $400 (I'm getting $200 under invoice) and they'll deliver to Austin.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    2006 Shadow Blue/Beige leather PK2 DSG. Ended up at $500 over edmunds invoice plus free window tint and then inventory tax $62.50, title and TX State inspection $64.75,license $60.80 and $50 doc fee. Which I did not fuss about since there was a line behind me paying MSRP for every last Diesel they had on the lot .

I read the article in PA where they are charging + $750.00 MSRP for remaining Diesels.

DL
    Dallas, TX