Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• vavavavolvovavavavolvo Posts: 111
    Congratulations. That is a great car.

I just learned today that they have delayed the release of the 09 Rl until June/July due to "inventory control"--whatever that means.
  • scott6113scott6113 Posts: 18
    Don't know where you are, but the dealer I got mine from, Acura Peabody MA has an 09 RL in blue or black (it was dark) sitting right in front of the dealership. I don't know if they'll sell it, but it is right there.

The snout looks like a Saturn to me.
    http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/3464827614971248.JPG?0.24437243953833987-

While I was waiting for the test drive car one of the sales reps admitted that many people don't like the look. It does have improvements, so if you don't mind the style, it is a better car than the 08

What is it with these cleft-palate looking cars? Blocking out half the grill with faux chrome is a fashion statement?

I did OK, but they pulled a lowball price and then dealer addons to get their profits over a grand, @$1200. They lived, I lived. It's OK.
  • jensadjensad Posts: 388
    Dear scott6113

Good job in saving much money in your purchase. I will always in the future use the internet in purchasing automobiles.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Posts: 111
    What you saw was the new TSX which has a similar appearing nose to the 09 RL. I called Acura of Peabody to verify that this was the case. No 09 RL has arrived at any US dealership as of yet.
    My bad. It was dark, and I was distracted.
  • bobby423bobby423 Posts: 8
    Congrats on your purchase.

I appreciate your earlier thoughts on other models.

Did you drive the M series from Infiniti and if so, why RL over M?
    Actually, I only tried the G. Two reasons: I don't like the M's styling. Just personal. And, with the prices the leftover RLs are going for, the Gs are closer.

When I got into the G35x, black interior, I felt like I was deep inside the car. The windows start higher up, I think it is called a beltline. It has seats that remind me of ski boots. They hug your waist. So, the feeling was nearly claustrophobic. I like cars to let in a lot of light. Car looks strangely proportioned; narrow and long, like they stretched the coupe to make the extra doors.

You can't get paddle shifters and wood in the G35x. Still, that and the CTS were runner's up. All of these cars started to run together; they're all so good.

At the extremes of sportiness were the G35x and BMW 3 series. At the extremes of comfort were the Lincoln MKZ and Lexis ES350. The RL was smack in the middle.

The sporty ones reminded me of my current ride, an Eclipse GSX, a harsh rocketship. The opposites remind me of my previous car, a Thunderbird LX, a grandfather's car (with an anemic six and heavy). I have seemed to miss performance when I've had comfort, and vice versa.

Needless to say, the RL appeared to me to be right in the middle, giving most of both worlds. I think the edmunds review said it could be both fun and soothing, depending on how you drive it.

Everyone has their priorities.
    Havin fun. Driving around. This car is a LOAD to learn! I like talking to it and it talks back, but really. Quiet, gutsy, getting the adjustments just right for me.

If anyone is still in the market, I thought I saw big incentives on the Infiniti M.

I know it looks like my neighbor's corolla. 4 door, same color, mine is a bit bigger and has more chrome, but in my town, the flashy cars are owned by macho stay at home Italian 30 somethings. Mamma's boys, but they have their black Lexus SC or something. So, to have a restrained but good car like this is reverse snobbery.

HA!
  • boatdanboatdan Posts: 1
    I just purchased my second RL-- I had leased a 2005 and enjoyed the car so much that I purchased a 2008- everything works easily and it works every day - it is fun to drive, great sound system and the dealer that I deal with is terrific- Try Moranda Acura in Berlin CT ---terrific people in sales and service and they all treat the customer like a very important person. Thanks Acura for make such a great car- you cannot beat it for the price!!
  • loverlbutloverlbut Posts: 6
    Hi scott6113,
    Congratulation on your new one.
    Thought I catch you too late - next time try carsdirect.com as they are now offering huge $10K discount off MSRP.....trouble-free car-buying experience, huge discount (best deal in town in S. California), no negotiation whatsoever with full factory-warranty; my entire car-buying time thru them was less than 30-min, including all paper-works; as a matter of fact, I was so impressed with their price/service, I bought 2 new '06 RL in a month.
    Please see my other posting about RL's future and my car-buying experience as followed.....Good luck to you.
    -------------
    I'd like to share my RL experience with rainbow11, carolinabob, ex007, rv65, djdj and many others......(p.s. I am from S. California)
    I am a die-hard RL fan since Y2006. To show our loyalty to Acura, both me and my wife each got new '06 RL in silver, with all the same options/stuff - "his and hers" as joked by dealer every time we go in for an oil-change.....been tracking/researching RL since then.
    Here are my comments:
    1) When RL was first out in '05....."Tech car of the year" - proven Acura's tech. was at leat 3-yrs ahead of competition (e.g. Real-time traffic in '05).
    2) No face-lift since then.
    3) Best car-buying experience from Internet....goto Carsdirect.com and I got the best deal in town, bought two new RL's in a month; the discount was so huge I thought there might be some "discount on warranty" - No, same factory warranty all the way, and really trouble-free shopping with no nego. needed whatsoever....entire car-buying time was less than 30-min.
    4) '09 "Inventory control" someone mentioned in the discussion.....if you goto Carsdirect.com now and you'd see huge (close to $10K) discount off MSRP on '08 - I figure that's what it means "Inventory control" - they are NOT SELLING, and Acura would think twice about how many RL to produce in '09.
    5) If Edmunds Inside-line's recent saying is true that after listening carefully to the market, Acura's to bring its Y2011 new RL with long awaited 420hp-v8, real-wheel-drive w/SH-AWD, etc. to compete in this segment.
    Could Inside-line talk to Mr. Jon Ikeda of new Acura R&D center in Torrance California that:
    a) Honda should be more aggressive than Toyota from my perspective....being an ex-Marketing-exec in one of the giant Japanese "Kai-Sha" in the past 20-yrs.
    b) RL is Acura's flag-ship, and I am a die-hard Acura's fan as evidenced above,....like to see RL's continuous winning.
    c) New Y2011 RL needs.....STYLING, STYLING, STYLING, in addition to all other stuffs to compete in that segment.
    d) U.S. market needs - Styling, Power, and especially with Acura's Tech and Performance when considering $5-$6/gallon in the near future (if you do market research carefully all over the web, that's what market is saying now-a-days). If Mr. Jon Ikeda and Acura can pull all those together, then I think Y2011 RL might be the "Car of the year" winner again with its traditional "pricing-competitiveness" market position (of couse, let us not to confuse Acura's next NSX marketing strategy with its new RL).
    e) But I can not wait, and I think Acura can not wait.....just look at it now - RL is simply not selling. Can Acura bring its NEW RL SOONER to the market....?
    f) Look at Acura's "Advanced-Sport-Sedan" concept, it reminds me somewhat of "Aston-007". .....could Mr. Jon Ikeda talk to Ian - the infamous Chief-designer of previous Aston-Martin's DBS and now behind Jag's new XK-coupe and XF-sedan, or something......?
    Well, I figure Ian might not be "too happy" after Ford's selling Jag/Range-Rover to Indian Tata-auto.

Dear Mr. Ikeda and Mr. Acura.......STYLING, STYLING, and with all of your Tech and "stuffs", bring your NEW RL to the market sooner, then you'd be striving again, and I'd be your loyal RL fan again, hopefully in Y2009/end....save RL's sales.
    Hi scott6113,
    While having fun with your new one, thought I give you some suggestions to increase your "fun factor" ....:)
    If your '08 RL is fitted with 17-inch rims, it would have Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires. Based on the RL owner's manual, the recommended tire pressure is at about 32-33 psi.
    But that particular Michelin tire's max psi is at 44-psi. If you jack up the psi, you'd be in a totally different car.... European firmer driving, etc., and best of all - even quieter and silky-smoother than before, and it's all cost free.
    Shhhhhhh, don't tell your dealer about this which might affect your warranty. I've done this psi-stuff for close to 2-years, oh boy, it "flies on the silk" - SILENTLY.
    And later if you decide to change to a new set of tires, try other better tires - some would go up to 51-psi......according to my sources, and with my own trial, they literally change RL to Bimmer, but with Lexus' quietness.
    Good luck to you.
    Hi boatdan,
    Congratulation on your new RL.
    While enjoying your new one, thought I give you some of my experience to increase your "fun factor" ....:)
    If your '08 RL is fitted with 17-inch rims, it would have Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires. Based on the RL owner's manual, the recommended tire pressure is at about 32-33 psi.
    But that particular Michelin tire's max psi is at 44-psi. If you jack up the psi, you'd be in a totally different car.... European firmer driving, etc., and best of all - even quieter and silky-smoother than before, and it's all cost free.
    Shhhhhhh, don't tell your dealer about this which might affect your warranty. I've done this psi-stuff for close to 2-years, oh boy, it "flies on the silk" - SILENTLY.
    And later if you decide to change to a new set of tires, try other better tires - some would go up to 51-psi......according to my sources, and with my own trial, they literally change RL to Bimmer, but with Lexus' quietness.

...see my other posting about RL's future and my car-buying experience in the discussion forum titled "Styling, Styling....."... and good luck to you.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    ... I'm not a 'Look at me! I got money!' kinda person, ...

Yeah, whatever. Tell it to the uninformed. Why didn't you look at Hondas, Toyotas, Hyundais, etc. instead and purchase one of those?
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Posts: 341
    Yeah, whatever. Tell it to the uninformed. Why didn't you look at Hondas, Toyotas, Hyundais, etc. instead and purchase one of those?

Over the years of the RL boards, you've made your low opinion of the RL quite well known. However, like it or not, there are lots of people who love our RLs. Most of have done our research, test driven lots of different vehicles and I don't think we can all be deemed "uninformed".
    You 100% missed the tone of my message. :( I wasn't calling RL owners "uninformed." I meant "uninformed" as in those folks that don't/won't buy a luxury vehicle.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Posts: 341
    You 100% missed the tone of my message. I wasn't calling RL owners "uninformed." I meant "uninformed" as in those folks that don't/won't buy a luxury vehicle.

I was alluding to the historic tone of most of your messages on here. And if you were referring to folks that don't/won't buy a luxury vehicle, why did you make a reference to Hondas, Toyotas, Hyundais?
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,965
    Let's forget about tone... and get back to Prices Paid..

Thanks!
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

...why did you make a reference to Hondas, Toyotas, Hyundais?

I don't know. Maybe because those are the folks that typically don't/won't buy a luxury car and aren't the "Hey! Look at me!" type the poster referred to? :confuse:

On topic, they pay far less than what an RL costs and feel they have just as much (if not more) car. Luxury cars are just that, luxury. It's an excess of money spent on non-essentials. Basically, "Hey! Look at me!"

Now at the request of the Host, I won't continue down this road. I just hope this post is left in place.
  • pds1pds1 Posts: 24
    Now that the 2009 RLs are hitting the showroom, does anyone have first hand experience on the purchase or lease of this vehicle? I am in the North NJ area and looking to acquire one.

thanks
  • rablawrablaw Posts: 16
    Dealer has a 2008 RL demo with approx 2,000 miles on it and is interested in leasing it. I was looking for a new 2008 which seems to be scarce.

What would a fair reduction in price be for the demo? I don't know what options are in it, as I have not yet seen the car.

Is it correct that demos are often good deals?
    Thanks. :confuse: